A Billion Reasons (Wish 8)

Par pseudoannie

(Complete) Monty Whitby grew up knowing exactly what was expected of him. As the sole heir of Whitby Enterpri... Plus

A Billion Reasons
About the cover
The Wish Family Tree
1 - The Woods
2 - Gap year
3 - Kryptonite
4 - Dead Man Walking
5 - Ancient history
6 - Immunity
7 - Weeds
8 - The Joker
9 - Triste
10 - Hell hole
11 - Click
12 - Wishes
13 - Sizzle
14 - Mistletoe
15 - The Envelope
16 - New Year's
17 - Amoeba
18 - Trust
19 - RIP
20 - Perfect
21 - France
22 - Another wish
23 - Naughty child
25 - Worry
26 - Like old times
27 - Nightmare
28 - Birthday
29 - Back roads
30 - Pretty Woman
31 - Man up
32 - Roulette
33 - Vegas
34 - A Spell
35 - Lucky
36 - Dowry
37 - Normal
38 - Gossip
39 - A Rumor
40 - Paradise
41 - Wishes
42 - Wife
43 - El esposo
44 - Surprise
45 - Magical
46 - One year later
47 - The Fountain
A Billion Reasons
Bonus Chapter 1: Christmas at The Hayes
Bonus Chapter 2: Christmas at The Hayes

24 - Bachelorettes

1.9K 233 139
Par pseudoannie

Gray's heavy footsteps caused Monty to look up from his laptop. It was a miracle the oaf hadn't been killed. He couldn't sneak up on anyone, never mind the enemy.

"You've been working all day."

Nodding, he stood and stretched. He looked, and it was three o'clock. His stomach grumbled. Had he been ignoring its protests? He'd been at the desk in his bedroom since ten. The master suite was large, so he portioned a corner for his office. Both his desk and chair were ergonomically correct, allowing him to work for hours. Although he worked downstairs, either on a kitchen stool or the sofa, he accomplished more upstairs.

"Are you planning to change before Sofia stops by?"

He looked down at his old tee and bare feet. She had seen him dressed similarly before. "Are we going out tonight?"

"You promised. I ate a frozen pizza last night."

"Trista has spoiled you."

"What did you eat?"

"A load of BS. My mother served lamb chops. I'm not impressed with her new cook."

"Listen to yourself. You are such a food snob."

Monty shrugged. He was discerning about food. "The night was comical and the old man was so serious, like I couldn't see right through him."

"How many women?"

"Four with their parents. I kept looking for hidden cameras. Thank God for Tori. Although even her invite showed Montgomery is out of touch."

"No chance of switching sisters?"

Monty liked Tori. She had always been less of a judge. It took one to know one, and they both lived with broken hearts.

"I don't feel anything romantic towards her."

"So no to bachelorette number one. What about two?"

"Taylor. Please, she works for my mother and is as fake as her boobs."

Gray's eyes widened. "Are they big?"

"She got her money's worth. She had the nerve to disrespect Ted's wife in front of Grace Calhoun." He smiled, thinking of Grace's response. "The woman is classy." Like her older daughter.

"So she's a capital B. Is she hot?"

"Seriously, she doesn't grocery shop, but she might like an affair with the help. Feel free to try but never bring her here."

"Whatever? Who's next?"

"Nadine. She's lacking in the looks department."

"So shut your eyes."

"Seriously. She's at least five years older than me, but looks forty."

"Are these the cream of the crop?"

"Based on their fathers' business and political connections."

"Did everyone know what the gathering was all about?"

"It was obvious. Tori spent the whole evening snickering. She almost choked more than once."

He owed her something for the evening. Maybe he should look up Tommy and go have a talk with him. Tori provided a buffer for the woman. When she left, she kissed him on the cheek and hugged him. The old man smiled like he had just closed a huge acquisition. He was clueless that Tori had always been a little sister. Being with her would be as crazy as her being with Trey or Jonathan.

During her tight squeeze, she said, "I'm proud of you. If tonight didn't send you to the drink cart, you are doing great."

He could love her if she had a different last name. Almost.

"What are my chances with that cute little package?"

Monty shrugged. "I heard she goes to clubs. You interested?"

"Hell. No! Was there another?"

"Yeah, but my mother would disown me. She insulted her life's work by saying people should stop expecting handouts and stand on their own two feet. Every jaw dropped, except her father's and mine when she said she'd never contribute to the foundation."

Gray let out a low whistle. "What happened?"

"Grace Calhoun asked Taylor about the plans for the gala. Then she turned to Ed and said they should increase their donation."

"I like her. Do you think?"

"No. Stop."

"Touchy. I was kidding. When's the next episode of the bachelor?"

"Hopefully never. What time is Sofia stopping by?"

"She texted about four. Bea had lunch guests, so she's hanging out with Lina."

He had a new list to give her. He could email it to her, but she liked to discuss her itinerary. She made her own reservations.

"I'll change if we're going out."

Gray nodded as he looked at the laptop. "I see you wrote about Alejandro."

They had met a young man who spent the day picking coffee cherries, the ripe beans. They had stayed the night at the hotel on the coffee farm and toured the farm with a small group. Alejandro took them to pick with him. They spent the afternoon in the blistering sun, working beside him, laughing nonstop. He regaled them with stories of his and his six brother's antics.

"How could I not?"

"You should have offered him a job and brought him here. He would be perfect for Sofia."

Monty disagreed far more passionately than the off handed suggestion deserved.

"She strikes me as wanting a more sophisticated man."

Gray shook his head and laughed. "Like a model? Or me? I'm sophisticated."

Monty ripped off his shirt and stepped toward his bathroom. "Hands off."

He felt protective of his new friend and employee.

"Touchy."

"No, but you're trying to fix up Sofia is no different from what old Monty tried last night."

He dropped his pants and walked into his bathroom. Gray yelled. "Show Tori what you just showed me and you might woo her broken heart."

Monty didn't reply. Could he have fun with a curvy little body like Tori's? Absolutely, but she was little Tori, the girl in pigtails and the best hider. The little sister.

Sofia arrived, bringing sunshine into their masculine surroundings. She bounced as she greeted each with a kiss on the cheek.

"You both smell yummy."

"Watch out for him. He's looking for a fling."

She waved her finger at Gray. "You're old enough to settle down."

Luckily, her personality defeated the storm cloud forming in Gray's eyes.

Monty clapped his hands. "Okay. Let's talk itinerary."

Sofia looked at the time. "I don't have much time. I need to get home. It's papi's birthday."

Monty would never be happy about celebrating his father's birthday. He didn't get excited about his own.

When they finished discussing the list, Sofia looked at him. Her dark eyes intrigued him. They were always expressive, but he had trouble reading them.

"Will you be here while I'm away?"

He should stay home for the gala. No doubt his parents would fill up his dance card. He'd prefer to be in Australia with a few days in the Seychelles for some rest and relaxation on the way to the African continent to look up an old friend.

"We'll be here another month, then away for a while. Take your time with those. You'll stay when we go."

He might not have a list for her if he was inspecting properties in Australia. He thought of inviting her to come.

She frowned. "How long will you be gone?"

"More than a month."

She looked like she wanted to say something, but didn't. He needed to do a few reviews in advance to meet his contract with the magazine.

She left the same as she arrived with a kiss on the cheek. Between Sofia and Tori, Monty was learning to appreciate the power of affection. Each hug healed the broken little boy.

The East Boston restaurant wasn't fancy. As they waited to be led to a table, Gray bumped him with his shoulder and tilted his head across the room. Sofia stared at them as she sat at a large, crowded table. She broke eye contact when the handsome man next to her leaned close to talk.

Gray whispered, "Looks like she found her own Alejandro. She never mentioned a boyfriend."

Monty shrugged. Her laughter filled the busy room. The handsome man was like Alejandro. He had personality and held her attention. He showed her his phone. Whatever it was, caused a beautiful smile.

Unlike Alejandro, who did back-breaking work in the tropical sun, Sofia's man wore a suit. His tie was missing, and his coat was on the back of his chair. With his sleeves rolled up, he looked as casual as the others. Sofia had changed to a nice green sweater, but still wore her signature jeans.

Rosa and Julio were also staring at him, and he felt eyes on his back as a woman showed them to a table. It was hard to ignore the loud, large party. They spoke in Spanish and laughed. The ambiance was unusual for Trista, who most often reviewed upscale, quieter restaurants.

They ordered various dishes, including shrimp ceviche. As they waited for their food to arrive, Julio approached holding Lina's hand.

"Hello Mr. Whitby."

"Hola, Julio."

"Do you like our food?"

He smiled. "I do. We've visited Colombia. Gray and I."

"Your chauffeur?"

"My friend who drives me around."

"Enjoy your dinner."

Monty almost said enjoy your father-in-law's party. Deception ruled his life. He looked up at Sofia. She smiled. He felt triste and didn't smile back. Seeing her with a man so perfect for her felt uncomfortable, and he didn't know why.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

2.3M 81.2K 58
Twenty-one and ready to take on the world, orphan Lizzie Gold didn't expect her chance encounter with a stranger to lead to a damnable task - to take...
39K 7.3K 58
(Complete) After decades, it's the end of an era on The Point. Change is inevitable and Will Drake doesn't like it. Will has the career he always dre...
118K 9.7K 40
(Complete) The story of the third Hayes brother. Stuck in a loveless marriage, Trey Hayes bears the guilt of sending his brothers away. Secrets abo...
1K 8 16
This is a Nick Armstrong fanfic because I absolutely love him! He definitely deserved more screen time. He was by far my favorite character and I cri...