𝐑𝐨𝐝𝐞𝐨 𝐃𝐚𝐳𝐞 ✓

By TheEnigmaticJesse

Why don't you believe?" I ask whilst clenching the cross necklace that laid around my neck. "God has the abil... More

Character Aesthetics
"Don't Tell Me I'll Be Fine,"
"Till Thee End Of The Line"
"Why Don't You Believe? "
"Your company is peace in a world of chaos"
"Get Over Here And Give Me A Hug."
"If These Creeps Want A Fight, I'll Bring A War"
"Feel It With Our Hearts."
"Tonight Is Just The Beginning"
"Let's Get Tattoos"
"Welcome To New York"
"Alls Fair In Love And War"
"The Holy Trinity"
"State Of Numbness"
Wildflowers
Holy Demons
The Rodeo
Ride 'em Cowgirl
Almost Human
"Are You Ready For Us?"
Alliances
"I Guess They're Endgame"
Neither Of Us
The Kiss Of A Lifetime

"He's Canceled"

736 44 18
By TheEnigmaticJesse

Addison's p.o.v

The warmth of the air and orange hue, those were the first two things I noticed about the town of McKinney. As we drove through the town towards our new abode, I knew I was in for a culture shock.

Instead of seeing tall buildings made of glass and steel, billboards trying to sell you something unnecessary and people packed at every corner, this place was quaint.

Entering town, you are almost transported back in time, from the steady, well maintained brick and block built buildings to the water silo and sheriff's office.

McKinney was a little piece of untouched history and I could appreciate that.

With a population of little over a 1000 residents who practically all grew up together, I wondered how a big city girl such as myself would fit in and what would the next 11 months entail.

Instead of ending my anticipation to see our new home, my father drove us straight to the church where his new congregation awaited to welcome him with open arms.

Women stood with baskets which I can only assume were filled with baked goods, while others held the traditional casserole dish, guess I wouldn't have to cook for a while.

My father basked in the attention of his new fan group, while I leaned against the bonnet of my car thankful for a good phone signal.

A few moments later my father approached me with a handsome young man by his side.

"Addy, this is Carter Black. He'll be in your class when school starts next month so I thought he could show you around. I have some business to sort out here so after exploring Carter will show you our new home, he knows the address."

'Gee thanks dad, forcing an attractive guy to chaperone me' I thought to myself.

"Pleasure to meet your acquaintance Addison." Carter reached for my hand and planted a kiss on it. Between that accent and his mannerisms I felt like a proper lady in an austentacious western movie.

"Nice to meet you to." Way to go Addy, you sound like a chump.

"I thought we could check out the diner first and further acquaint ourselves. Then I'll show you all the cool hang out spots only locals know about and perhaps end the day with a trip to the bioscope."

"This sounds like a great date and I'm all for it, but what's a bioscope?"

"Please don't think of me as been too forward but if I were to take a lady such as yourself out on a date, I wouldn't do it in my slacks but rather Sunday best. My apologizes, the movie theatre."

"Let's get to it then Carter."

"After you milady." He gestures for me to walk first as a gentleman should.

We arrive at Jenny's diner which reminds me a little of Pops choc'lit shop from my favourite series Riverdale.

"Booth or counter." A beautiful southern belle asks us with a friendly smile.

"Booth please." I answer and she nods in acknowledgement before showing us the way.

"I'll send over a waiter in a few, y'all have a nice day."

"That's Blair, she took over running this place a few years back when her mum retired."

"I can already see myself coming here, taking a little booth for myself and having an all night study session."

"You wouldn't be the first student to have that idea, luckily this place is open 24 hours."

"Hi folks, my name is Holden and I will be ya'lls waiter today."

"Daze, I didn't know you were working today. Didn't see your pick-up truck out front. That thing is kind of an eye sore."

Carter said sounding unamicable. His change in demeanour had me surprised.

Holden's stormy grey eyes met my own and for a moment we were lost in each other. I tore myself away from his gaze and allowed my eyes to wonder. He had curly black hair that gave him the alluring 'I just got out of the shower' look.

He wore a plain white t shirt that hung off his body perfectly and I saw the decal of what looked like a snake tattoo peeping from under his sleeve.

Now I was used to seeing attractive men, New York was filled of them, not to mention Micah who was sculpted by God himself but with Holden I just couldn't pin what allured me to him in the few seconds he was in my presence.

"Thought you'd be spending the last weeks of Summer with Amber, your GIRLFRIEND." Holden emphasized the last part, I'm assuming for my sake.

"This is just Addison, the new pastor's daughter. I'm showing her around town."

'Just Addison' seriously? Carter had no problem flirting with me yet now he says my name with aloofness.

The way he was speaking to Holden with such disrespect had my blood boiling and I did want to slap some sense into him but I could tell Holden could hold on his own.

"Well Addison a fair bit of advice, Carter's girlfriend has extreme jealousy issues and is the sheriff's daughter. So if you want to stay out of trouble I suggest you don't hang around the likes of this one."

I smile at Holden and give him a slight nod.

"Back off Daze, this doesn't concern you. Now do your job and take our orders."

"Actually I got to get home and unpack so I'll see you around." I say to Carter whilst picking up my bag exiting the booth.

"But I'm supposed to show you the way."

"It's okay this is a small town, I'll figure things out." I smile at Holden and make my way to the door.

"Addison, wait." I turn around to see Holden darting towards me.

"What's the address?" He asks.

"21 Maple Avenue."

"Down the road, at the stop sign turn left onto McAdams and then take your first right. Hope that's helpful."

"Thank you."

"I'm Holden Daze by the way. I gotta get back to work now, so see yah around."

"See yah."

With Holden's directions I found the house pretty easily. It looked like your average American home, white awnings and freshly cut grass.

Dad had already bought new furniture and had the company set it all up inside, he really wanted a fresh start and that meant getting rid of anything my mother laid hands on.

It took me a few hours to unpack and organise my room according to the way I wanted it. Afterwards I skyped Micah and gave him a virtual tour of the house. He caught me up on what was happening at home even though I had been gone for less than 24 hours, bless his soul.

It was getting late and my father still had not returned home. Me being too lazy to do a grocery run or cook, I decided to head back to the diner and get some food in me, seeing Holden again would be a bonus.

Eyes glued to my phone, I bump into what felt like a brick wall outside of Jenny's diner.

"Oof"

"I'm so sorry I didn't mean to hurt you." I apologise profusely after hearing the person in agony, as luck would have it, it was Holden.

"Are you okay?" I ask once he catches his breath

"I didn't realise I walked into you that hard. I'm sorry."

"No need to apologise ma'am, I just had a very recent injury that's all."

"Hope you're not here to finish your date with Carter." Holden spoke in a snarky manner.

"Ew, no. He is cancelled, especially after the way he spoke to you. A devil in disguise he is."

Holden laughed at my comments and I soon found myself laughing with him.

"Are you on your way home?"

"Yeah my shift just ended, why are you enjoying my company?"

"Well I was just about to go in and order my body weight in burgers and fries, would be nice to have someone cheering me on."

"And here I thought a city slicker such as yourself would be watching their weight and ordering acai bowls and salad."

"If I become one of those people please run me over with your truck."

"Will do ma'am, now come on lets feast."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
192M 4.6M 100
[COMPLETE][EDITING] Ace Hernandez, the Mafia King, known as the Devil. Sofia Diaz, known as an angel. The two are arranged to be married, forced by...
1.7M 17.4K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
7.3M 303K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...