'Pairs' [korrasami]

By in_jail_out_soon45

Those four. Those infuriating four make my school life a hell of a lot harder. --- Disclaimer. I'm British... More

1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32

2

6.1K 183 419
By in_jail_out_soon45

Asami

The cafeteria is probably one of the only good places here in this school. Though it gets quite loud, the food is simple and the decor plain, it's fun being here with my friends most of the time. When we are all actually here like today.
"Wait so you have a game tomorrow?" Kai asks.
"Since when?"

I peer away from my book, I can't remember Jinora telling us about an upcoming match.
"Relax it's only a friendly." She says.
"Korra set it up last night, she told us that we needed some practice."

"Isn't that what training is for? To practice."

"Well yes but this is different, we're playing against other people. It's better." Jinora explains, I guess she does have a point. Practicing in game situations would be a lot better.

Wu smiles at the girl.
"I'll be there." Opal nods in agreement.

Kai gives Jinora a small peck on the cheek. I don't even know how long those have been dating but they've been inseperable ever since.
"You know I'll be there." He says making her giggle. How cute.
"Do you know who it's against?"

Jinora shook her head.
"I don't know the name but, it's some other school up north."

I don't know many schools up north. I wonder if they're good or not. Suddenly, Jinora looks at me. No, she looks behind me and upwards.
"Oh hey Korra."

I freeze and keep my eyes forward, why is she here?
"Hey, I don't think I'm coming to training after school. Could you take over for me please?" Korra asks. I wonder what she's up to, if she's missing training then it must be important. Not like I care anyway.

Jinora raises a brow.
"Are you busy or something?"

It seems like Korra ponders for a bit, I can hear her feet shuffling behind me over all the chattering in the cafeteria.
"Yeah, a little busy. I just won't be able to make it."

"Alright, I'll take over. You know Beifong won't be happy about this." Jinora says and Korra laughs nervously.

"I know. Anyways thanks, you're a life saver." And with that she walks away to go sit down at her table across the room.

I then realised how tense I was and let myself relax, exhaling a little louder than expected.
"Why do you hate her so much?" Jinora asks with a giggle. She knows how much korra irritates me but shes sworn to keep her mouth shut, the last thing I want is the whole school to hate me as much as I hate Korra. I like not being centre of attention, it's peaceful. And Korra... she's literally worshipped in this place.

I roll my eyes and hide myself in my book, trying to concentrate on each and every word as I read.
"Why do you like her so much?"

"Korra is actually really nice once you get to know her." Jinora tells me. Yeah right.
"She's a good Captain. She keeps the team together."

"She's still annoying."

Jinora sighs, signalling that she's probably going to give up pressing me. I have my reasons.
"Are you coming to watch the game tomorrow?"

I look up from the pages and give her a glance.
"Of course I will." I wouldn't just bail on my friend because some idiot plays on the same team. Soon the bell rings and lunch was offically over. I say goodbye to my friends and continue my way through the halls.

As I picked up my bag I remembered the small plaster at the end of my finger, it was slightly peeling off but it could last a couple more hours I guess. I managed to cut myself on the engine yesterday with my mum. Nothing major where I'll have to be rushed into hosipital, unless the fumes from the car actually managed to seep in there then I'd be in trouble. But no, just a small graze that's all. Also my dad was right, the car really is busted. Not that it's a problem though, we do have another.

I enter my english class and take my seat at the back. Unfortunately, none of my friends have this with me. Their classes and mine are swapped over, leaving me to fend for myself. The teacher is quite nice I guess but English is really not my forte. I'm passing it but my grade is no where near as great as my others. And... even worse. I have to sit behind her.

Lessons sitting behind Korra were the absolute worst. Well, just being in the same room is bad but whatever. She would occasionally lean back on her chair during it and sometmes it would smack into my desk. She does turn around for a split second and mutter a 'sorry' but then continues to do it anyway so there's literally no point in apologising. Her pen seems to be attracted to the floor too, she drops it over ten times in the lesson and when she goes to pick it up she purposefully lets her chair scrape across the floor.

Korra only does this because the whole 'group' is in this lesson with her, however the teacher has tried to space them around the room. Korra was at the back corner near me whilst the others are at the other corners. Not that it works though, they still manage to talk to eachother. Throwing notes, chucking pens or just simply shouting across to eachother.

I glance around the room and raise a brow. Kuvira was here. So were Mako and Bolin. The lesson starts and I let out a sigh of relief, looks like trouble didn't feel like turning up today. Thank goodness for that.

I pulled out my english book and placed it on the desk like the teacher told the class to do.
"Miss." Kuvira shoots her hand up in the air. Once she earns the attention of the teacher at the front she smiles.
"I don't have my book."

Oh what a shame. The teacher sorts her out in a few moments, giving her a piece of paper after telling her to bring it to school tomorrow. Kuvira won't, her bag is practically empty most of the time. Almost like some void. Once she takes a book home, it's never coming back.

The bell rings again and the remaining students start to rush in. I cross my fingers under the desk, hoping that she doesn't come in. I smile even wider as the last people file in, no sign of Korra.

But I spoke too soon. After 10 minutes of the lesson passed the door opens and Korra saunters in. She gives the teacher a salute and walks over to the corner where I am. I suddenly find the floor interesting for a moment until the girl slumps into the chair infront like her legs gave out.

Once it was safe to look up I noticed that she had her forehead resting against her desk, asleep again. Well it's better than nothing, at least she'll be quiet for the rest of the lesson. I wonder what makes her so tired all the time. It couldn't be football because Jinora is never this tired. Unless she takes some extra sessions out side of school. Oh well.

I put my head down and continue with my work. I realise that my glasses hadn't pained me all day, seems to me like they're actually fixed. What did my dad do to them? I put my pen down and slide my glasses off my face, examining the hinges of them. Maybe a screw was loose or something, what a mystery. I put them back onto my face and reach out for my pen, however I completely miss and the cuff of my shirt knocks it forwards and onto the floor. I sigh and scoot my chair back as quietly as possible, leaning under my desk so I could search for it.

I smile when I find it however, it's under her seat. Well, that's a goner. There's no way I'm reaching for that thing. I sit back up at my desk and pull out another pen from my pencil case.

My eyes snap over to the sleeping girl in front of me. She stirring around in her seat and eventually she lifts herself up from the desk. Her arms shoot up in the air and she leans back in her chair, stretching. Her hair dangles over my desk and I frown, recoiling my hands away. Yes, thank you I really wanted to smell your coconut shampoo.

"Korra did you have a question?" The teacher asks.

She puts her arms down and her hair leaves my desk as she sits forward.
"Just stretching sorry."

Out the corner of my eye I see her glance over to Kuvira who's at the far right of the room, they exchange smiles. Then she shuffles in her seat, turning herself around so she could look out the window to her left. My ears pick up the quiet drumming of rain against the window and I tilt my head to properly have a look. Each drop sits against the glass like a puddle and it makes me shiver, I forgot to bring an umbrella. I'm going to freeze.
"Uh, is this yours?"

I literally did freeze at that voice and I slowly turn to my right to find Korra looking straight at me with my pen between her fingers. Her eyes squinted as she had a large smile at her lips. All I could do was nod in response, taking the pen into my own hands. I intentionally look straight past her at the board while I feel her eyes still on me. I want to turn to her with a deadpan expression and ask her what she wanted. But knowing me, I won't even get a word out. Instead, I twiddle my pen lid and listen to the poundering of the rain against the window, praying that Korra will turn around again.

My brows furrow as I look towards the board, the word 'project' written in big letters and it was circled around 5 times. The teacher walks herself around the front of the classroom, tapping her pen against her finger.
"In the course of three weeks I would like you to complete a project." Several people groan with annoyance and three of those groans came from each corner of the room. Korra didn't though, she was too busy... actually what was she doing? I take a glance at the girl in front of me, she's looking out the window again.

"The project will tie into our topic of creative writing no less. You must write about at least 3 places that are in this town. Or unless you would like to go further. Write about what they look like, sound like. How they make you feel." Not so bad. there's not many places in this town to write about though. I can google some I guess.
"It would help if you visited these places, images from the internet won't exactly give you the right sense."
Oh fuck.
"This project will also be done in pairs."
Double fuck.

"Miss can we please choose our pairs?" Korra asks, darting her view away from the window so she could look at Kuvira across the room. They're obviously thinking about doing this project together.

The teacher looks between them, hands on her hips.
"If I let you do that Korra then you two wouldn't get any work done." She says, pointing at the two girls.
"I have a sheet here at the front with your assigned pairs."

I sigh and look around the room. I don't really talk to any one here, though I do know a few faces. Baatar Jr at the front, I've spoken to him before. It was in science class actually, we were paired for a practical and we got along pretty well. Turns out he likes science just as much as I do. If I'm paired with him then maybe this english project won't be so bad after all. Please dear god let me be Baatar's partner.

The bell rings and everyone got up from their seats in an instant, crowding around the desk to see who's with who. I wait for a moment, I don't feel like getting trampled on today. My hope vanishes once I see that Baatar already had a partner and by the looks of it he was paired up with Kuvira. They were chatting away by the door for a bit until they both parted ways.

Korra, however, just grabs her bag and wanders out after reading who her partner was. No, she power walks out like she's in some sort of hurry. I feel sorry for whoever has to be her partner, the poor soul will have to do all the work. Once the crowd dies down I slowly step forward, flashing a smile to the teacher before inclining my head to take a look. I scan through the sheet until I find my name. Oh...

<->

"Asami hey... what's wrong?"

I drop my bag to the floor and slump into my seat, burying my hands into my face. This is the worst day of my life and it's only going to get worse. I peak through my fingers and see that all of my friends are looking at me, concern written all over their faces. Geography class, we're all in this one together and we have managed to seclude ourselves in the back corner of the classroom.

"You look really pale. Did something happen?" Jinora asks as she placed a hand onto my shoulder.

"Can one of you attend my english lessons for the next three weeks?" I groan, letting my head fall ontop of my book.

"Uh why?" Kai asks with a chuckle.

"Miss signed the class a project."

"I've heard about that, Bolin told me. You're in his class right?" opal says. I nod against the book, I wish this thing would just open and swallow me in. I really don't want to be here.

"What's so bad about it?" Wu asks.

"We have to do it in pairs." I mumble against the cover.

"And... who's your partner?"

I sit up frowning at all of them, I can't even speak. Jinora studies my face for a moment, her expression changes from confused, to shock and then she just bursts out laughing. One way to make me feel even worse.
"You're paired with Korra aren't you?"

I sigh and slowly nod, the rest of them joined in with Jinora.
"Thanks guys, I'm glad you find my suffering entertaining."

"It won't be that bad." Jinora says, recovering from her laughing fit.

"Won't be that bad?" I repeat.
"I'll be doing all of the work."

"Korra wouldn't do that especially if it's a three week project." Jinora adds and I roll my eyes. Since when did Korra care about projects anyway? She'll be asleep through the whole thing or she just simply won't turn up. Anyway, if that's the case then I'm fine with doing it by myself. Besides, it can't be that hard can it?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.6K 542 35
As they continue their travels and visit the Northern Water Tribe Rangi and Kyoshi finally start to have time together to figure out what they each r...
291K 6.4K 33
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
919K 38.8K 80
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
957K 16.5K 42
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...