Lizzie of the North (Yrsoreth...

By E_Manawari

Stories of how to survive as an evil duke's daughter are nothing new. But then fate just had to, really had t... More

Welcome to the North
SEASON 1◦✿◦Prologue
1 ◦❀◦ Lizzie From The Slums
2 ◦✿◦ The Two Devils
3 ◦❀◦ The Bread Thief
4 ◦✿◦ Dead Garden of Red and Blue
5 ◦❀◦ The Meddling Gardener
6 ◦✿◦ Signed, Felizzia
8 ◦✿◦ Song of the Slums
9 ◦❀◦ Meow and Cherry Lies
10 ◦✿◦ Petunia Has Come
11 ◦❀◦ Petunia Has Left
12 ◦✿◦ Journey to Second Frontier
13 ◦❀◦ Torture at Lunch
14 ◦✿◦ Torture Continued
15 ◦❀◦ The Bracelet Envy
16 ◦✿◦ Second Tragedy in an Ugly Dress
17 ◦❀◦ Animal Cries
18 ◦✿◦ Subtle Defiance
19 ◦❀◦ Men Are Wolves
20 ◦✿◦ The Hunter At Port
21 ◦❀◦ The Moon and the Sun
22 ◦✿◦ How to be a Lady
23 ◦❀◦ Screamers & One Lilia
24. ◦✿◦ Twelve Offers of Misfortune
25 ◦❀◦ Honey and "Honey"
26 ◦✿◦ Chaos in the Morning
27 ◦❀◦ Nordis Agenda
28 ◦✿◦ Gyllis Vaddenver
29 ◦❀◦ Crepes and Chaos
30 ◦✿◦ Lizzie in Orange
END 31 ◦❀◦ The Northern Wildfire
◦✿◦ Season 2 Prologue
32 ◦❀◦ Princess Lizzie
33 ◦✿◦ The Three Royal Idiots
34 ◦❀◦ Princess on a Cringefest
35 ◦✿◦ A Song for Silver
36 ◦❀◦ Man of Mystery
37 ◦✿◦ The King Abduction
38 ◦❀◦ Royals on Flea
39 ◦✿◦ Fun of Four
40 ◦❀◦ A Jar of Decision
41 ◦✿◦ Peas, Berries and Eyerolls
42 ◦❀◦Hut Stories
43 ◦✿◦ Welcome, Lizzie.
44 ◦❀◦Imperial Inn
45 ◦✿◦ The Imperial Family
46◦❀◦Not Friend Drama
47◦✿◦The Imperial Scandal
48◦❀◦Elopement: Day One
49 ◦✿◦ Medakaz Miracle Madness
50◦❀◦The Fealty of Clementine Ursova
51 ◦✿◦Some People Are Artists, Some People Are Just Pretty
52◦❀◦Secrets of the Portrait Hall
53◦✿◦In Sickness and In Sickness
54◦❀◦Yacuro Gold Gamble
55◦✿◦Arrows and Potions
56◦❀◦Two at Sunset
57◦✿◦Weddings, Questions and Swords
58◦❀◦The Aftermath
59◦✿◦The Sermon
60◦❀◦The Paper Storm
61◦✿◦Not Really Yours, Lizzie
62◦❀◦ The What Trilogy
63◦✿◦END
◦❀◦The Next Chapter◦❀◦

7 ◦❀◦ Golden Cage

870 65 29
By E_Manawari

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

She knew it.

In exchange for tender meat and honey, a soft bed, and toys, she also had to sacrifice something.

It's fine that she studies together with Erdan a few hours a day, reading books for children, as she is taught more complicated things by Sir Cavat Li'Gian. The baron's second son in his mid-twenties, has no title but was a sought-after educator. Then Erdan would teach him after the formal lessons.

Lizzie would then earn a few unwanted head pats from Young Devil Number One, for correct answers. Her dinners with Garth continued as well, including the gruesome conversations. By this time, she's mastered the theory of torture from Young Devil Number Two.  Aside from the disastrous contract incident with the duke, she never saw him again for a week.

Maids were assigned to her in rounds, waiting on her as soon as she wakes up, outside the study during her lessons, in her room during playtime, and would only leave after she slept. From time to time, they would check their temperature and sigh in relief when she's warm. The fireplace in her room never died.

Although Lizzie found this constant concern for her temperature strange, she assumed it's part of 'Rich people things.'

Then she realized, she had no privacy at all.

She could not even pull a tiny grain of jewel from her hairpin nor hiding the leftover cookies. without the maids knowing. Her plans of restocking her treasures for the future were stalled. Even the lone ribbon she stole from the duke was discovered by the maid and now was gloriously back in her jewelry box.

Since nobody would give her an answer about her past and why a middle name was added to the already painstaking long name, Lizzie searched for Red, yet the circumstances made it impossible. The search also taught her a valuable lesson.

In one of her snack times, she casually brought up the conversation to Fay, one of her three maids.

"Fay, Fay... did you live here long?"

Used to her random questions, the young servant answered while spooning honey for her milk. "Five years, my lady. I came when I was fourteen to follow my husband who also started working as a footman."

Lizzie did not comment on her early marriage. It was a norm for commoners and nobles alike to be engaged or married just right after they reach fourteen. She even assumed that the duke married his first wife early, due to the ages of the young devils. What she wondered was how come Erdan and Garth mentioned no marriage nor engagement on the duration of her stay. 

"Oh... you know everyone?"

"Pretty much. The castle is very strict. They go through extensive background checks and referrals before hiring."

"So, you know Red?"

Fay paused from stirring the glass of milk. "Red, my lady?"

"Yes. Lizzie talked to him in the garden before falling into the hole. But Lizzie couldn't find him now."

"...What does he look like, my lady?"

In between bites of her cookies, she described the boy who claimed to be a fortune-teller then a gardener. She also hinted at her desire to play in the wilted garden. She was engrossed with her food she did not notice Fay's usual warm smile cease until all left was her pale, horrified expression.

"My lady, did you say you talked to him alone in that garden?"

"Yes!"

Fay bowed and excused herself in a hurry, leaving the other two maids, exchange strange looks. 

It was minutes later when Butler Hewitt entered and asked Lizzie the same question about Red.

Oi Red, did you do something bad?

With less vigor, she said the same answers.

"My lady, as the head butler of this house, I can assure you, there was never a man of that description, nor with that name. In the first place, the castle does not have a gardener for years now."

"But Red...." She probably looked like she's about to burst into tears, based on Hewitt and the maid's worried expression.

Well, she wanted to cry, feeling at loss for a moment. After all, Red was like an illusion and her last hope for information vanished.

What's worse was she was now back to the duke's office for interrogation with the head knight and Hewitt.

And for the third time, she answered the same questions.

"An intruder? A spy?" Devanti's tone was calm as he continued reading documents. "Well, what do you think?"

The head knight assigned for the castle's security was an older man and a seasoned warrior. She heard his name was Arturo or something close to it. And yet, the same warrior with scars on his arm and left brow, with a large build, stuttered.

"A-Apologies Your Grace. We will investigate this matter."

"Only that?"

"...And punish any knights if they are found out to be neglecting their duties."

"Kill them if you have to."

"As you command, Your Grace."

"Leave."

The head knight bowed and went for the door as if he just escaped death.

"Now, you."

It was her turn to swallow a huge lump in her throat. "...Lizzie?"

"Ever since you arrived, this castle has been turned upside down."

It's not like I wanted to be here.

"From now on, assign two Black Knights each shift on her door. Lessons will be in her room instead of the library, including the meals. She would not take a step outside."

The duke said all this without sparing her a glance, still in his documents. Hewitt replied a hesitant "...Yes, Your Grace." from the door.

"But... why?" Lizzie asked. Her bedroom was probably ten times larger than a poor man's hut, but it couldn't replace freedom. "Why can't Lizzie go out?"

"My Lady..."

"Lizzie did nothing wrong..."

"Feliziia."

She flinched at the duke's voice.

"That day, why didn't you wait for Hewitt?" The duke signed the document and stamped it with his seal. He then picked another one to read. "Who gave you the right to step foot in that garden and talk to strangers?"

She clamped her mouth, unable to make excuses. It was as if, no lies or excuses would convince Devanti Norvillon.

"There was a reason they locked the gates."

It wasn't locked, you doofus.

"I should have demolished that hideous place a long time ago."

"But Duke—"

She swallowed her words when finally, he looked up just to scorn her with his eyes.

"Doing things as you pleased, leaving as you pleased. Messing the order of things. You... are really that woman's daughter."

"My Lord...!" Hewitt gasped from behind her.

Lizzie felt like she was struck by lighting. She had somehow understood that the duke held grudges against the mussing duchess Kirien and her as well. But why, would she have to live miserably without knowing the truth?

First of all, nobody told her that the garden was off-limits. Yes, it was hideous and deserted, but the gates were open as if she was being welcomed.

It wasn't fear that clawed her chest. Despite being a child from the orphanage, then to the streets, Lizzie has never felt so unwanted until now.

"Hey Duke, Duke... why do you hate Lizzie's mom? Did she do bad?"

Devanti paused and finally gifted her with indifference.

Tell me, damn it.

Her friends from the orphanage were right, adults are strange and selfish. They hold secrets and treat children as fools.

She didn't ask to be inside a golden cage. They took her in.

"Is Lizzie bad? Do you hate Lizzie too?"

"Take her away," was all he said.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

493K 27.8K 59
She had a very perfect life as she was a perfect girl. She had everything she could ask for, a brilliant mind, wealth, and many other things, hence d...
112K 5K 79
[BEING REWRITTEN] Summer has survived all sorts of things like almost drowning (more like being shoved into water tied to a chair), being shot at mul...
8.6K 799 29
Karis travelled back in time owing to Medeia's good karma, which Medeia exchanged for Karis' second chance in life. Now, Karis could save her family...
5.7M 303K 125
Falling into the fiery hell she created must've been the perfect way for her to die. The other woman would then become the heroine that saved the tow...