enchanted | a. pendragon [on...

Galing kay theilliterateironman

"๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ง๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ง ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ, ๐ฅ๐ข๐š." "๐ข ๐š๐ฆ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐ก ๐ซ๏ฟฝ... Higit pa

p l a y l i s t
c a s t
p a r t o n e
i | the dragon's call
ii | valiant
iii | the mark of nimueh
iv | the poisoned chalice
v | lancelot
vi | a remedy to cure all ills
vii | the gates of avalon
viii | the beginning of the end
ix | excalibur
x | the moment of truth
xi | the labyrinth of gedref
xii | to kill the king
xiii | le morte d'arthur
p a r t t w o
i | the curse of cornelius sigan
ii | the once and future queen
iii | the nightmare begins
iv | lancelot and illyria
v | beauty and the beast pt. i
vi | beauty and the beast pt. ii
vii | the witchfinder
viii | the sins of the father
ix | the lady of the lake
x | sweet dreams
xi | the witch's quickening
xii | the fires of idirsholas
xiii | the last dragonlord
p a r t t h r e e
a d d i t i o n a l c a s t
i | the tears of uther pendragon pt. i
ii | the tears of uther pendragon pt. ii
iii | goblin's gold
v | the changeling
vi | the crystal cave
vii | the castle of fyrien
viii | illyria's lament
ix | the eye of the phoenix
x | love in the time of dragons
xi | the sorcerer's shadow
xii | the coming of arthur pt. i
xiii | the coming of arthur pt. ii
p a r t f o u r
i | the darkest hour pt. i
ii | the darkest hour pt. ii
iii | the wicked day
iv | aithusa
v | a servant of two masters
vi | his father's son

iv | gwaine

13.7K 501 443
Galing kay theilliterateironman

"my heart will only beat for you until we meet again, princess."

[3.4 — Gwaine]

"It's odd that Merlin and Arthur aren't back yet," Lia said. She was standing near the window and looking down at the city from the physician chambers. They had gone hunting and were supposed to be back shortly after lunch, however, the sun had long since set. "I hope they did not find any trouble."

"It's Merlin, Illyria," Gaius said in a flat tone. He handed her a bowl of soup for dinner, which she ate white standing. "I am almost positive they found trouble."

"I'm sure they're fine," she said, sighing. "Arthur probably just made them venture further than originally planned."

"You worry too much about them both," he told her. "I am sure—"

Gaius was cut off by Merlin and Arthur bursting into the physician chambers. Only, they were not alone. They were carrying an unconscious man. Gaius and Lia immediately got to work, instructing them to take him to Merlin's bed. Gaius unwrapped the bloody makeshift bandage that was around his leg to inspect the wound.

"Merlin, fetch me some fresh water, towels, a needle, and silk thread," he instructed.

"And honey?" he asked.

"Oh, look, you are capable of learning," Lia said in a teasing tone. He playfully rolled his eyes before going off to get everything. She noticed the surprised expression on Arthur's face, who had no idea what the honey was for. "Helps fight the infection."

"Will he be alright?" Arthur asked, glancing nervously at him.

"Providing he's strong."

"He's that, alright. The man saved my life, Gaius. He's to be given anything he needs," he told them.

Merlin came back a moment later with all the supplies. Gaius was the one to treat his leg while Lia inspecting the wound on his head — Merlin said he had hit it on a bench when he fell over.

"What's his name?" Lia asked, softly cleaning the blood off his forehead.

"Gwaine," Merlin said. "You know, I'm surprised you haven't yelled at me for getting in a bar fight."

"Oh, I am mad at both of you for getting in a bar fight," she said, giving them both pointed looks. "However, the unconscious man on the bed takes precedence. This easily could've been either of you. You are both lucky he was there to save you."

"I mean, I was doing fine on my own," Arthur muttered, crossing his arms.

Merlin quietly scoffed, knowing that wasn't the truth. "Sure. Lia, when do you suppose he'll wake up?"

"Likely sometime tomorrow morning," she told them. "He'll certainly have a headache when he does wake."

"Good," he said, nodding. He watched as Lia took care of Gwaine and then glanced at Arthur, who was also watching her. Then a mischievous smirk crossed his face. "This reminds me a lot of Lancelot. Him getting injured while bravely saving lives, being brought to Camelot, you carefully healing him. I wonder what other similarities they might have?"

Lia's cheeks heated up and she purposefully avoided looking at Arthur, whose expression had darkened. Of course, Merlin thought he was only making a teasing remark in front of two people who had not acknowledged their feelings to each other. He was still none the wiser to the fact that Lia and Arthur were together in secret. And bringing up the other man that they all knew Lia once loved certainly made things uncomfortable.

"Merlin," Lia said, clearing her throat. He smiled cheekily at her. "Shut up before I ask Uther to have you thrown in the stocks."

| | |

Lia's estimation had been correct as Gwaine woke early the next morning. He was leaning up in bed just as Merlin was bringing him his breakfast.

"What am I doing in this bed?" Gwaine asked, staring at Merlin with a confused expression. This wasn't exactly the first time he had woken up shirtless in a bed he did not recognize.

"You were wounded. Arthur wanted to make sure you were treated by his physicians," Merlin explained.

"Arthur?"

"Prince Arthur. You saved his life."

Gwaine rolled his eyes and groaned before sitting up fully in the bed. As he moved, he held his leg, which was in a lot of pain. "If I'd known who he was, I probably wouldn't have. He's a noble."

"Yeah, but he's a good man," Merlin defended him.

"If you say so," Gwaine said, snorting. As Merlin sat the breakfast tray down, he grabbed the goblet of water to drink.

"You're a hero. The King wants to thank you in person," he told him.

Gwaine grimaced at the thought. "Please, no. I've met a few kings. Once you've met one, you've met them all."

"He'll probably give you a reward."

"I'm not interested. Besides, I've got everything I need right here," he said, patting his bag which was hanging on the wall.

"Why did you help us?" Merlin asked, tilting his head and studying Gwaine carefully.

"Your chances looked between slim and none," he said, grinning and leaning his head against the wall. "I, uh, I guess I just kind of like the look of those odds."

Merlin smiled and shook his head. It seemed Gwaine would certainly keep things entertaining during his stay in Camelot. "There's a pain reliever that Lia fixed with your breakfast. It should help with your leg and head."

"Lia?" he questioned, raising an eyebrow at the unfamiliar name.

"Ah, one of the court physicians and my best friend," he explained. "The other is Gaius, who will check on you shortly. Lia is out buying supplies in the market, but I am sure you will meet her later."

"Looking forward to it," Gwaine said, already smirking. Any day he got to meet a woman was a good day. "And Merlin, thank you for helping me."

| | |

After eating breakfast and being cleared by Gaius to get up and walk around, Gwaine got dressed for the day. Once done with putting on his boots, he opened the window and looked down on Camelot. Before leaving, he glanced around the room he was in, taking note of the nice-looking blue dress laying on a perfectly made bed. Based on that and the flowers on the one side of the room, he figured that the Lia that Merlin mentioned lived in the room as well.

Ignoring the slight pain in his leg, Gwaine set off to explore Camelot. He had never been to such a large city and knew he would find lots of entertainment in it. He made his way to the lower town and to the markets, taking in the sights — and the sights included Gwen. When he walked past the young maiden in a purple dress, Gwaine found himself stopping in his tracks. As a woman walked by with a basket of flowers, he snatched one and chased after Gwen to present it to her.

"I believe this belongs to you," he said, holding out the small white flower.

"I don't think so. It's not my color," she said, smiling tightly at him.

Before she would walk off, he stepped in front of her. "Ah, well, let us see." Gwen stood there awkwardly as he stuck the flower behind her ear.

"I bet you've got a whole bunch of those to hand out," she said, smirking.

He showed her his empty hands as proof. "No. Yours is the only one." Gwen playfully scoffed, unimpressed, and tried to move past him, but he was persistent. "I'm Gwaine." He held out his hand for her to shake, which she did before continuing to walk. However, he didn't let go of her hand. "You haven't told me your name. You look like a princess to me. So it's probably something like Sophia or - or Esmeralda. That's it. Princess Esmeralda."

Gwaine dramatically bowed to Gwen, which embarrassed her as people turned to look at them. "Stop it. People are staring."

"Not until you tell me your name," he said.

"It's Gwen," she said quickly.

"There. That wasn't so hard now, was it?" he asked, smiling. Then he looked at the basket she was holding. "Let me carry that. A princess shouldn't have to lump her washing around."

"Unfortunately I'm not a princess," she said. And then Gwen spotted someone familiar across the markets and decided to unload the pushy stranger on her. "Why don't you try the princess line on her. I'm sure it'll work."

Gwaine looked over his shoulder where Gwen was pointing and found himself just as stunned as when he first saw Gwen. She was wearing a soft pastel yellow dress with white flowers embroidered into the fabric. Her long blonde curls were pulled back halfway in a pink ribbon that showed off her beautiful face.

Gwen snickered at the dumbfounded look on his face before taking the flower out of her hair and putting it in Gwaine's hand. "She loves flowers," she told him before walking off. She wondered how far Gwaine would get before Lia sent him packing — or if she'd find him charming and offer to show him around Camelot.

With the flower in hand, Gwaine sauntered — well, as best he could with a limp — over to Lia, who was looking over a selection of rare herbs laying out on the table. He was by her side in an instant.

"A flower for the princess," he greeted, presenting the little flower to her.

For a moment, Lia's eyes widened in fear before she saw just who was holding out the flower. "What?"

"Well, I can only assume that a maiden as beautiful as you must be a princess," he flirted, using the same charming smile that he had on Gwen.

Lia relaxed and smiled softly, looking from the flower to Gwaine. "Well, it's very sweet of you to offer maidens on the street flowers."

"Well, I aim to please," he told her. Then Gwaine placed the flower behind her ear, just as he had with Gwen. Though he let his thumb trail across her cheek for a moment.

Lia smiled shyly and glanced down. "Thank you, Gwaine."

He tilted his head in confusion. "I never told you my name."

"You did not have to," she said, chuckling. "I am a court physician. I was one of the ones to treat you when Merlin and Arthur brought you in."

"Ah, Lia," he said in recognition. "Merlin never mentioned that my guardian angel was so strikingly beautiful."

"I wouldn't say guardian angel," she said, laughing. "Gaius was the one to stitch up your leg. How is it, by the way?"

Gwaine was surprised to see genuine concern for him in her eyes, someone she had only just met. "I have had worse, My Lady. Nothing I cannot handle."

"That's good, but be careful walking on it," she instructed.

"Perhaps you could watch over me by accompanying me to explore Camelot," he said, smirking. Then he took her hand and gently placed a kiss on her knuckles. "I am sure with an hour of your lovely company, I would feel strong enough to fight a hundred men."

"Ah, but wouldn't I get in the way of you flirting with every woman that passes?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

Gwaine playfully scoffed and put a hand to his heart in fake hurt. "I only have eyes for you, Princess."

"I find that hard to believe," she said, giggling. "And I am not a princess."

"Could've fooled me," he said, the flirty tone thickening. "So, is that a yes to accompanying me?"

Lia's smile slipped slightly. "I must get back to Gaius, I'm afraid," she told him. "But perhaps tomorrow. I will be a little more free and your leg will have had more time to heal before exploring such a large city."

"Very well," he said, sighing dramatically. "My heart will only beat for you until we meet again, Princess."

"Oh, I'm sure," she said, shaking her head as she laughed. "It was lovely to meet you, Gwaine."

After Lia paid for the herbs she was buying, she left the markets and headed back to the castle. Gwaine watched her go with a pleased smile on his face, already looking forward to seeing her again. So far, his stay in Camelot was delightful.

| | |

Lia hadn't seen Merlin much all day. With the upcoming melee and all the knights that had arrived for it, Arthur had the servant running all over the castle. When he finally sat down for dinner, he shoveled the soup that Lia had cooked into his mouth, both her and Gaius watching him.

"It's very hard to work out whether you are eating or inhaling that soup," Gaius commented.

"I haven't had anything all day. Sir Oswald had me at his beck and call," Merlin complained, referring to one of the visiting knights.

"How is he?" Gaius asked.

"Awful. He treats me like dirt," Merlin said.

"Arthur told me he was a kind man," Lia said, frowning. "And he's one of his closest friends."

"That doesn't sound like the young man I knew," Gaius added. "Lia is right. He always struck me as a rather kind and thoughtful soul."

"He must have changed," he grumbled.

"You must remember that not all masters are as good to their servants as Arthur," Gaius said. Merlin spit his mouthful of soup in Gaius' face in surprise. Lia giggled and grabbed a napkin to give to Gaius. "Thank you, Merlin."

"Sorry," he muttered.

A moment later, Gwen peeked into the physician chambers. "Merlin, I think you need to come with me."

| | |

Gwen took Merlin all the way to the tavern in the lower town. Gwaine, who was drunk off his ass, could hardly stand on his own. It was Merlin's job to both get him home and cover his tab, which was unbelievably high.

"You drank all this?" Merlin asked, looking at Gwaine with wide eyes.

"With some help from my new friends!" Gwaine exclaimed. Everyone in the tavern cheered, holding up the drinks that he had "bought" for them.

"He says that he hasn't got any money," the innkeeper said. He grabbed the front of Merlin's shirt and lifted him off the ground. "So it looks like you'll have to pay."

"But I can't afford this!"

"You better find someone who can," the innkeeper warned.

As he sat Merlin on the ground, Gwaine began laughing at the whole situation. Then, he fell over. Merlin sighed and turned to the innkeeper, an idea of how to pay for everything suddenly coming to mind. Then, with Gwen's help, he dragged Gwaine all the way back to the castle.

Lia watched with wide eyes as Merlin staggered in, holding up Gwaine. She hadn't known what Gwen needed Merlin for but figured it was because of this. She immediately got off her bed and helped get Gwaine onto Merlin's.

"You're the best friend I've ever had," Gwaine said.

"You seem to have quite a few," Merlin said, chuckling.

Gwaine laughed breathlessly and leaned his head against the wall. "I'd love to see Arthur's face when he gets that bill."

Lia's face fell as she looked at Merlin with wide eyes. "He's gonna kill you."

"Right," he muttered. Then he turned back to Gwaine. "What is it with you and nobles?"

"Oh, nothing. My father was a knight in Caerleon's army. He died in battle, leaving my mother penniless. And when she went to the King for help, he turned her away," he explained.

"You didn't know him?" Lia asked, feeling sorry for him. The memories that she had of her parents were precious to her and could not bear the thought of not having any.

"Just some stories I've been told," he said, sighing.

"Yeah, I know how that feels. I met my father just briefly before he died," Merlin revealed. Lia leaned over and placed a comforting kiss on his forehead, knowing he didn't like to talk about Balinor.

"Why?" Gwaine asked.

"He was banished."

"What had he done?" It seemed Gwaine was becoming a bit more sober with the heavy conversation topic.

"Nothing. He served the King."

"But the King turned against him?" he asked, shaking his head. "That doesn't surprise me."

"Arthur's not like that," Merlin insisted.

"Maybe. But none of them are worth dying for, heh?" Gwaine said, laughing. He leaned back and ended up hitting his head on the wall, which made him laugh some more.

"I'm gonna go make sure Arthur does not need anything for the night," Merlin said, getting up. He gave Lia a pointed look. "Please watch over him."

"Of course," she told him. As Merlin left, Lia helped Gwaine get his boots off, knowing he wouldn't want to sleep in them if sober.

"So, Princess," he began, not giving up the nickname. "Do you have a sob story about your father? Perhaps we could start a group."

Lia sighed softly and sat at the end of the bed. "My father died when I was thirteen, and my mother when I was nine."

Gwaine had been joking before, but his face fell, realizing he had overstepped. "I am sorry, Lia."

"It was a long time ago. I just prefer not to talk about it, if that's alright," she said, smiling sadly. Then it turned into a real one. "You know, I am surprised that you're talking to me after hearing how much you hate nobles, what with me being a princess, and all."

Gwaine chuckled and sat up. "You are the exception," he told her. "So, are we still on for our stroll through town tomorrow?"

"Oh, that depends on how hungover you are tomorrow," she said, grinning.

"I shall power through the pain. It will be worth it to steal away a few moments with you," he said, smiling charmingly.

"You may hate nobles, but I can assure you that you flirt just as much as any Knight of Camelot," Lia said, giggling.

"Even the most honorable man can be distracted by a beautiful woman," he said, leaning closer. "Though I am not a man of honor."

"Sure you are," Lia said softly, taking his hand. "You defended Merlin and Arthur without knowing them in the tavern. You helped two strangers and defended the town from those crooks out of the kindness in your heart. Noble blood or not — alcoholic or not — you still are a man of honor."

Gwaine practically melted as Lia brushed her thumb over his knuckles in a comforting manner. Perhaps it was the alcohol meddling with his brain or the way that Lia just naturally invited people in with her kind and caring personality, but Gwaine couldn't stop himself from leaning in and kissing Lia.

It took a moment for her to realize what was happening and pull away. She stared at Gwaine with wide eyes and parted lips. A moment later, Gwaine's brain caught up to him and he registered the shocked look on Lia's face, realizing he might have made a mistake.

"I shouldn't have done that, should I?" he asked, leaning back.

"Uh, no - I, uh, it wasn't, I mean, I'm not," she stuttered out, cheeks heating up. "But, um, I am sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, Gwaine."

"No, no," he said, shaking his head. "Do not apologize. That was my fault."

"If it makes you feel better, even though you are wasted and smell like a brewery, it still was not the worst kiss I've ever had," she said, smiling softly. "And you are very nice... and handsome. But..."

"There's someone else, isn't there?" he guessed. Then he chuckled and leaned against the wall as Lia nodded. "Not surprising. Suppose I just got to Camelot too late. What a shame."

"Sorry," she said, smiling sheepishly.

"Tell me, will I need to be on the lookout for some jealous knight that is going to attack me tomorrow?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No, I think it's best if I don't tell him," she said. "For your safety of course."

"Always looking out for me," he said, chuckling. "Does this mean you won't be spending the day with me tomorrow?"

"Nonsense," Lia told him, rolling her eyes. "It is a princess' duty to show her subjects around the kingdom. I look forward to my time with you."

"I cannot wait, My Lady," he said with a charming grin.

"You should get some sleep so that you are well-rested for tomorrow," she said, getting up. "I'll be waking you up bright and early."

Gwaine groaned at the thought of waking up early. "How about after lunch?"

"How about at sunrise?" she countered, smirking at him.

"Your sweet and caring attitude when I first met you was very misleading."

| | |

The next morning, Merlin entered Arthur's chambers with a breakfast tray for him. With Sir Oswald having him run all over, he was not as early as he normally was, which he knew he'd get yelled at by Arthur for.

"Sorry. I know, I'm late," Merlin said. He rushed over to Arthur, who was sitting at his desk and set the tray down.

"Not at all," Arthur said, sounding surprisingly calm.

"Good."

"Sure you're alright?" Arthur asked as Merlin began making the bed. "You're not sick, unsteady, about to burst into song?"

"No, why?"

Arthur picked up a piece of paper off the desk and began reading from it. "Fourteen quarts of mead, three flagons of wine, five quarts of cider—"

"I can explain," Merlin said, chuckling.

"Four dozen pickled eggs," he continued.

"That was Gwaine," Merlin told him. "He went to the tavern and, uh, he couldn't pay for it."

"So you said I would," Arthur said, clearly unamused.

"You know, if I hadn't, that innkeeper, h - he would've strung us both up."

"I fail to see the downside," he muttered.

"You said he should be given anything he needs," Merlin reminded him.

"Four dozen pickled eggs?" Arthur shouted in disbelief.

"I'm sorry," he said, smiling tightly. "I'll pay for it."

"You most certainly will," Arthur said, tossing the paper at him with an unimpressed look.

| | |

That afternoon, Merlin and Gwaine sat on the floor in the throne room. They were both scrubbing a pair of boots. Before receiving Arthur's punishment, Gwaine had actually been having a good day. He had caught up with Lia early in the morning and presented her with a bouquet of flowers, apologizing for his actions the night before.

"Arthur is a thoroughbred little braggart," Gwaine complained.

"Why?" Merlin asked, chuckling. He was cleaning far faster than Gwaine, just wanting to get it over with.

"For making us do this," he whined.

"I think it's fair."

"For the entire army?" Gwaine asked, pointing at the long line of boots they had yet to get to.

"If you admitted your father was a knight, you wouldn't have to," Merlin pointed out, continuing to scrub.

"Maybe. But I'm not making the same mistakes that he did," Gwaine said. "Anyway, my father always treated his servants well."

"You didn't know him."

"Well, I like to think that he did," Gwaine said sharply. "What about yours?"

"No, he didn't have any servants. He didn't have... well, anyone."

"When did he die?" he asked.

"About a year ago. I just wish that I had the chance to know him better. So much he could've taught me," Merlin told him.

"But you did get to meet him," Gwaine said, looking on the bright side.

"Yeah," he muttered. Though he'd give anything to have as many memories of Balinor as Lia had of her parents.

"If there's one thing that I learned from my father's life, is that titles don't mean anything. It's what's inside—" Gwaine used his cleaning brush to slap Merlin's knee. "—that counts."

"Ow," Merlin mumbled, rubbing the sore spot.

They continued to scrub the boots, and a moment later, Lia wandered into the throne room. Both men looked up at her in surprise.

"What are you doing here?" Gwaine asked, raising an eyebrow.

In response, she grabbed a pair of boots and sat on the other side of Merlin, who handed her a cleaning brush. "Nothing better to do," she said, beginning to clean the first shoe. "My plans for the day fell through."

Gwaine chuckled. "Sorry about that. But you don't have to help us."

"Lia does stuff like this with me all the time," Merlin told him. "Don't complain. We will get done faster with her here."

"I didn't know princesses knew how to get their hands dirty," he teased. "Pass me another pair of bloody boots."

Lia did as asked before finishing up her own. "Do we know which pair is Leon's? I want to carve a flower into the leather."

| | |

That night, an almost hesitant knock on the door drew Arthur and Merlin's attention. The Prince called for them to enter, wondering what he could be needed for. They were both surprised to see Gwen step into the room. She was biting her lip and glanced nervously from Merlin to the ground and then back. The look on her face was similar to the one from the night before.

"What can I do for you, Gwen?" Arthur asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I, uh, well, I'm here for Merlin," she said, sheepishly, though neither man knew what was wrong.

"Me?" Merlin asked.

"Sir Leon sent for you. He's... at the tavern."

Merlin instantly sighed and rubbed his forehead. "This is two nights in a row now that Gwaine has caused a ruckus in the tavern. He's going to be the death of me."

"And my wallet," Arthur murmured, knowing he'd be paying Gwaine's bill once more.

"Well, yes, Gwaine is there, but he's not why you're needed," Gwen said. She began to nervously toy with her hands. "Leon tried really hard to get her to call it a night, but then the band started playing a song she liked—"

"Gwen," Merlin interrupted, biting back a smile. "Are you trying to tell me that Lia went with Gwaine to the tavern?"

She nodded in response. Arthur tilted his head in disbelief. "I didn't even know Lia knew where the tavern in Camelot was."

"Guinevere, is Lia drunk?" Merlin asked, now grinning.

"Don't be ridiculous, Merlin," Arthur said, scoffing. "Lia doesn't drink. She only ever drinks water, tea, or juice. Not even a sip of wine with dinner."

"No, she's definitely drunk," Gwen breathed out before quickly continuing. "But you needn't worry about her safety. Leon and many other knights are there, and they would not let anyone harm her in this state. But they figure she's had enough and needs to go to bed. However, she won't leave — says she's having too much fun."

Merlin laughed to himself before responding. "I'll go and get her once I've finished preparing Arthur for bed."

"Nonsense," the Prince said. "I am coming with you, and we are going to get her now. What if something were to happen to her?"

"Alright," Merlin said, deciding not to point out that Leon and the other knights could protect Lia just fine. After bidding Gwen goodbye, the two of them set off towards the tavern. The entire time, Merlin had a mischievous smirk on his face, which Arthur took note of.

"Why do you look so pleased? Your best friend could be passed out in a corner, wasted," Arthur said, narrowing his eyes. He wanted Merlin to be just as worried as he was.

"She's fine," Merlin assured him. "Probably. The only reason Lia doesn't drink often is because she swore it off after a few embarrassing incidents that happened back in Ealdor." Well, that and the fact that she was a horrible liar when she was drunk. Lia couldn't risk anything about her past getting out once they moved to Camelot.

"I just hope she does something embarrassing that I can make fun of her for in the morning," he continued, chuckling. "Whatever she's done, she won't remember in the morning."

"You two are horrible friends to each other," Arthur said, rolling his eyes. "While we're at it, you should probably get Gwaine to call it a night as well."

Merlin had a particular skip in his step as they neared the tavern. They could both hear the noise outside before the door was even open — music was playing and people were cheering. Arthur and Merlin didn't know exactly what to expect when they stepped inside, but it certainly brought a smile to their faces.

A group of men in the corner strummed a familiar folk tune, and many in the room were clapping to the beat of the song that had only just started. Everyone had stepped back, making plenty of room for the girl that was happily dancing.

Making room for Lia.

She looked carefree, her cheeks flushed and her head was thrown back as she laughed. The fact that she was drunk did not deter her ability to dance and sing. And yes, sing she did.

"There will come a soldier who carries a mighty sword." As Lia sang, she bounded over to Gwaine, who was leaning against the bar with a grin on his face. "He will tear your city down, oh lei, oh lai, oh Lord. Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh Lord. He will tear your city down, oh lei, oh lai, oh Lord."

The men that knew the song sang loudly and off-key with her when it came to the oh lei and lais, much to her delight. The music continued and she grabbed Gwaine's hand, pulling him to dance with her.

"There will come a poet whose weapon is his word. He will slay you with his tongue, oh lei, oh lai, oh Lord. Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh Lord. He will slay you with His tongue, oh lei, oh lai, oh Lord."

Gwaine clumsily danced before twirling Lia under his arm. She set her sights on Leon, who had been watching from his spot against the wall. He hadn't taken his eyes off her, wanting to make sure she was safe. However, safety wasn't on her mind — fun was.

Lia pulled at his arm, trying to get him to join her and Gwaine, but he remained. Lia playfully pouted for half a moment before moving on. It was then that she spotted Arthur and Merlin across the tavern, both looking rather amused as she continued.

"There will come a ruler whose brow is laid in thorn. Smeared with oil like David's boy, oh lei, oh lai, oh Lord. Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh Lord. Smeared with oil like David's boy, oh lei, oh lai, oh Lord. Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh Lord. He will tear your city down, oh lei, oh lai, oh Lord."

All the lyrics were finished but the music continued. Lia danced through the crowd, clumsily bumping into a table now and again before reaching Merlin and Arthur.

"Merlin!" Lia said far too loudly. She giggled, realizing that she had shouted. "Come! Gwaine taught me this drinking game. You'll love it!"

Before Lia could rush off, Merlin took her wrist and kept her in place. "Lia, how much have you had to drink?" he asked, chuckling.

Lia's eyes unfocused as she seemed to think about it. Merlin and Arthur waited with raised eyebrows as she was slow to reply. "I do not know, but I feel great!"

Merlin sighed and shook his head. "Alright, I am going to give you a scale and you answer me. On a range from Will's birthday to the incident on Farmer Gamgee's roof, how do you feel?"

"Hmm," she said, beginning to rock back and forth. For a moment, Lia got distracted by a new song playing, but Merlin quickly got her to focus again. "Oh, uh, I feel... like that time with the goat. Oh! You remember the goat, Lin!"

"Yeah, I remember the goat," he said, grinning. "Which is why you are going home and straight to bed. Now."

"But Merlin," she whined. "Gwaine doesn't have to go home! Why can't I stay with Gwaine?"

"I'm gonna get Gwaine to come home too," Merlin told her. Then he glanced over her shoulder at the man in question. He was challenging a knight to see who could down a tankard of mead quicker — Gwaine was winning. "That might take a bit more convincing."

"I will get Lia back to your chambers," Arthur said, eying Gwaine, who was cheering at his victory. "Good luck with him, Merlin."

It actually took several minutes of Merlin promising Lia that, no, he and Gwaine were not going to keep having fun once she left, before she actually left with Arthur. It was a good thing she agreed because the Prince was rather close to throwing her over his shoulder and bringing her back to the physician chambers himself. Merlin advised against that though, as there was a chance it could end with her throwing up on his back.

Given that it was dark and no one was out, Arthur saw no problem with holding Lia's hand as they walked back to the castle. Well, he walked. Lia seemed to be dancing in step with whatever song she was humming to herself. Arthur was surprised she hadn't fallen over with how much she had had to drink.

"I cannot decide if I like you like this or not," Arthur admitted. Though he couldn't recall the last time she had been so happy and carefree, so perhaps her being so drunk wasn't horrible. Really, he just didn't like her going to taverns with a man she has only known for two days — even though he knew Gwaine was an honorable man. "You are going to feel horrid in the morning."

"No, I will not," she declared, grinning. "I feel great. Tiptop. Fighting fit."

"Well, I'm certainly not going to give you a sword to test that theory," he said, chuckling. "Tell me, what did Merlin and you mean when you said the goat incident?"

"Oh!" Lia gasped before giggling. "That was a fun day. Will, you remember Will, he wanted a goat, so I stole him a goat. I don't remember it, but Merlin says I rode the goat. However, I do remember waking up in a barn the next morning though."

Arthur snickered but also steered her away from a pin of animals not too far off, not wanting her to get a similar idea. "You stole a goat?"

"It wasn't very hard," she said matter-of-factly. "You could probably steal a goat if you tried to."

"I'm sure I could," he said, smirking. He'd definitely be asking Merlin about more drunk Lia stories in the further — they sounded quite amusing if the goat was anything to go off of.

Once they were inside the castle, Lia's random humming ceased. Even with her hazy mind, she knew people were sleeping and wouldn't appreciate being woken up.

"Was that your first time in the tavern here?" Arthur asked. He knew Merlin had but figured that Lia had never gone with him.

"Yup!" she said, nodding for far longer than necessary. "Gwaine said it would be fun and he sure was right."

"You had better not let him become a bad influence on you," he teased. "Or else you'll be starting bar fights soon."

"I am pretty handy in a fight," she reminded him. They entered the physician chambers then. Gaius was out, making a late visit to a patient. "I do hope Gwaine stays in Camelot. He's only been here a few days but I am very fond of him already."

As they entered Lia and Merlin's chamber, Arthur couldn't help but get a bit self-conscious — after all, it had taken a long time for Lia to grow fond of him, what with him throwing a knife at her during their first meeting. Then he remembered Merlin's warning about how Lia wouldn't remember any of this the next morning and figured there was no harm in prying.

"Yes. And he seems fond of you," Arthur said, awkwardly looking around the room. As always, her side was clean and Merlin's was messy. "I've heard he likes to flirt."

"Absolutely. I do not think I have met someone as bold as him before," Lia said, giggling. Her eyes fell on the vase of flowers by her window. It was a bundle of daisies and lavenders. "He got me some flowers. They're very beautiful."

"He flirts. He gets you flowers," he muttered, frowning. "Should I be worried?" He had only been half-serious, but Lia's answer made him freeze up.

"No, well, not anymore at least," she said.

"Anymore?" he repeated.

In the back of her head, Lia could remember the decision not to tell Arthur about what had happened. But the drunk and honest part of her brain won out. She bit her lip and glanced up at Arthur through her eyelashes.

"He kissed me," she admitted softly. Arthur was stunned, his lips parting and an almost defeated sounding breath left his lips. Lia's eyes widened and she quickly rushed forward to reassure him. "He - he was drunk, and I did not kiss him back. And as soon as I explained to him that I already loved another, he apologized. Please don't be mad at him... or me."

Lia hand placed her hands on his chest, right over his heart, and looked up at him so innocently. "No, I cannot be mad at you," Arthur told her. "Nor him, as he did not know."

"I felt horrible," she told him. "I - I know you get jealous of the knights when they flirt with me, but this wasn't the same. But know that you never have anything to worry about with any of them, not even Gwaine."

Arthur gently cupped her cheek with his hand and brushed his thumb softly over her bottom lip. "I know that I am not the only one to have ever kissed you, but I intend to be the last. I cannot truly be mad at any of the others because I know what it is to fall in love with you, and it is the greatest feeling."

Lia smiled lovingly up at him, wrapping her arms around his neck. "Always know that my heart belongs only to you, Arthur Pendragon."

"And mine to you."

| | |

Lia may have enjoyed her time at the tavern, but she certainly did not enjoy the headache that greeted her in the morning. And it did not help when Merlin entered their chambers, whistling loudly and threw open the curtains, letting the sunlight in. He had teased her at length about her behavior for most of the afternoon.

She couldn't really remember much past when she started singing in the tavern. Though she could vaguely recall Arthur holding her close as they stood in her room. Even after taking a potion for her hangover, Lia moved slowly throughout the day, getting very little done. It was a good reminder that she did not miss the after-effects of drinking.

Lia was too tired to even bandage Merlin's finger when he came in with a deep cut on it. She let Gaius handle it while she leaned against the workbench. He had cut it on Sir Oswald's sword, which was odd as all the weapons for the melee were supposed to be blunt.

"To the eye, the sword appeared blunt, but when I touched it..." Merlin trailed off, grimacing. He had almost cut his finger off.

"You were lucky," Gwaine told him. "I've seen those blades in action. They're forged using sorcery."

"What would they want with such a blade?" Lia asked, frowning.

"I think they mean to kill Arthur in the melee," Merlin told them.

"But in front of all those people?" Gaius asked.

"It's the perfect cover. If they succeed, nobody will suspect it was intentional," Gwaine explained.

"I need to warn Arthur," Merlin said frantically.

"Merlin, Sir Oswald's a knight. He comes from a well-respected family. You can't accuse him without proof," Gaius warned.

"We don't need a repeat of Valiant," Lia said sighing.

"Then we need that blade," Merlin stated.

"I'll get it," Gwaine offered.

"What if they catch you? What reason would you have to be in Sir Oswald's chamber? No. It's safer if I do it," Merlin said. After all, Gwaine did not have magic on his side.

Merlin went to retrieve the sword while the others waited. However, Gwaine grew restless, wanting nothing more than to check on Merlin and make sure he was safe. He paced back and forth around the room nervously, and Lia could not calm him down.

"Merlin should be back by now," he said.

"I know," Gaius agreed.

"Nothing really ever goes according to plan with Merlin," Lia mumbled, sighing.

"I'm going to go see what's going on," Gwaine declared. Before either of them could stop him, he was marching out of the physician chambers.

Lia sighed and tried to follow but Gaius stopped her. "Lia," he said sharply. "They can handle it on their own. Uther may like you, but if anything were to happen, he'd take the word of a knight over yours."

She rolled her eyes but stayed put. As of late, Gaius and Merlin had both been particularly protective of her, though she wasn't sure why. A small part of her wondered if it had anything to do with the surge in her nightmares and who they were about, but then they would've been acting that way for far longer. She just could not figure out what had changed to make them that way.

Lia had hoped that Gwaine and Merlin had everything handled. However, that was proved wrong as Merlin ran into the physician chambers claiming that Gwaine had been arrested for attacking Sir Oswald. The three of them quickly made their way towards the council chamber, where Uther would pass his sentence.

"It's not Sir Oswald," Merlin said quietly as they walked through the corridor. "It's that thug from the tavern, Dagr. He's using a magical crystal to change his appearance."

Very few other people were present in the council chambers other than Uther, Arthur, a few knights, and those involved in the incident. The two guards escorting Gwaine, who was in chains, forced him on his knees in front of Uther.

"Sire, this man attacked me with a sword," Dagr, disguised as Sir Oswald, said. "Tried to kill me."

"Is this true?" Uther asked, looking down at Gwaine.

"I stepped in to protect Merlin," Gwaine replied, refusing to look Uther in the eye.

"I tried to talk to him. He was like a man possessed," Dagr lied. Gwaine glared fiercely at him. "I'm sure that Sir Ethan will back me up."

"Indeed, I can vouch for his every word," Sir Ethen, who was also another bandit in disguise, said.

"He's a liar!" Gwaine exclaimed, getting to his feet. The guards roughly grabbed him to stop him from lashing out.

"I will have your tongue!" Uther shouted, pointing angrily at him. "How dare you speak to a knight in that way!"

"Nobility is defined by what you do, and not by who you are. And these men are anything but. They are arrogant thugs!" Gwaine said.

"Gwaine," Arthur said, trying to make him calm down.

"Well, you see, Sire, how he behaves," Dagr said.

"I've heard enough. For a commoner to attack a nobleman is in violation of the Knight's Code," Uther said.

"I couldn't agree with you more, Sire. He must be made an example of," Dagr stated, crossing his arms.

"Sir Oswald, please," Arthur said, not used to Sir Oswald being so harsh.

"Nothing less than his execution will give me satisfaction."

Lia anxiously reached for Merlin's hand, but both knew they could not speak up. Arthur, however, did. "Father, I understand how this must look, it's an embarrassing situation. Sir Oswald is a dear friend and our guest here in Camelot. But Gwaine is my guest here, too. And he may not be of noble birth, but I can vouch that he has a noble heart."

"How can you say that when you see the way he behaves?" Uther asked, sneering at Gwaine.

"Gwaine risked his life to save mine," he reminded him. Gwaine was stunned that Arthur was standing up for him against his father. It was the last thing he expected. "I beg you, please, if a knight's word is his bond, then I give you my word Gwaine is a good man. He deserves clemency."

Uther thought for a moment before turning to Gwaine. "You are banished from Camelot. If you ever return, you will pay for it with your life. You have until dawn to leave the city."

| | |

Once released, Gwaine returned to the physician chambers to gather his things. Lia was incredibly sad to see him go but still prepped some food and medicine for his leg before leaving.

"I'm sorry," Merlin told him.

"Don't be. I never stay in one place for very long. People get sick of me too quickly," Gwaine said, shrugging it off.

"We didn't," Lia said, smiling sadly.

"After the trouble I caused?" he asked in disbelief. "Especially you, Princess. I got you drunk and kissed you without permission."

"Surprisingly, you are not the first man to kiss her and then get banished from the kingdom," Merlin said, chuckling. "You livened the place up."

Gwaine chuckled and threw his bag over his shoulder. "Make sure you look after Arthur. He's in danger."

"I thought you hated nobles?" Merlin asked, raising an eyebrow.

Gwaine ignored the somewhat teasing look. "Heh, well, maybe that one's worth dying for, eh?"

He gave them one last smile before leaving the physician chambers. A moment later, Lia followed him out and caught up to him.

"Let me at least walk you out," she offered. "It's the least I could do. You did a very brave thing."

"Hell of a lot of good it did me," he mumbled. He wouldn't say it out loud, but he had been looking forward to staying in Camelot.

"I know my word does not count for much, but Arthur is not like his father," Lia told him as they continued through the castle. "If he were King, things would have gone differently. He spoke up for you because he is fair. He's loyal. He'll be a great king — much better than his father. I know he will."

"Clearly, if he makes everyone feel the way you do," Gwaine said as they stopped at the doors of the castle. "It is fitting that a prince won the princess' heart."

"It's not just me that says that about him," Lia said. She did not even bother denying it — her red cheeks had given her away.

"No, I'm sure it isn't," he said, smirking down at her. "Let's hope he lives that long."

"Merlin will protect him," Lia said, no doubt in her tone. "I only hate that you were punished for trying to save him."

"Just doing the honorable thing," he said in a mocking tone. "I'd best be off before Uther chases me out."

Lia nodded, but before letting him go, hugged him tightly. "Take care of yourself, Gwaine," she said softly.

"Always do," he said, winking.

"I find that very hard to believe."

| | |

Trumpets sounded as people gathered in the stands. The melee was about to begin, and Lia watched nervously from the medical tent that was set up. All too soon, it was time. Uther arrived and the crowd cheered as he lowered himself into his throne. Then Merlin met Lia and Gaius in the crowd. The look on his face told them that he hadn't managed to convince Arthur to withdraw.

All of the competing knights sat on their horses and with their weapons drawn. When they all had their helmets on, it was difficult to distinguish who was who, but Lia kept a sharp eye on both Arthur and Dagr. As soon as Uther gave the signal, the melee began.

Knight after knight was taken out as the barbaric fighting went on. The crowd cheered, shouting for their favorites. Lia remained as still as a statue, her eyes never leaving Arthur. He was being relentlessly targeted by the two bandits, and at one point, the one impersonating Sir Ethan was heading right at Arthur from behind with the enchanted sword.

Thankfully, Arthur ducked just in time and his attacker was knocked from his horse. Though that did not stop him from going after him on foot. He jumped up and pulled Arthur off his horse, trying to stab him. He raised his sword to kill him, but Arthur quickly rolled out of the way, and they battled on foot.

"You'll have to do something," Lia said, as Dagr rode towards them, preparing to attack. "Otherwise, Arthur will die."

Merlin quickly chanted a spell that broke the girth on Dagr's saddle, causing him to fall off the horse. Nevertheless, he got up and joined in the assault on Arthur.

"It's two against one," Merlin muttered helplessly.

However, a moment later another one of the knights got up off the ground and came to Arthur's aid. He joined in the fight, keeping the other one away while Arthur fought Dagr.

"Who is that helping Arthur?" Merlin asked, not recognizing him.

"I don't know, but I think we should be thankful he is," Gaius said.

The mystery knight fought impressively well, almost as good as Arthur. Then he pulled a very tricky move that disarmed his opponent. He snatched the sword out of the air before it hit the ground. Merlin smirked, then realizing who was in the arena.

"There's only one person I know who can do that." Lia shot him a confused look, which made him chuckle.

The mystery knight then stabbed the one impersonating Sir Ethan with the enchanted sword, and the crowd gasped in disbelief. Dagr continued his assault on Arthur and knocked him to the ground. He raised his weapon to kill him, but the other knight knelt in front of him and blocked the attack with one sword, and stabbed him with the other. The crowd cheered excitedly now that only two were standing.

"They'll expect us to fight to the end now," Arthur said, facing him. After a moment, he removed his helmet. "You fought bravely. The field is yours."

The knight stuck his sword in the ground and lifted his visor, revealing his identity. Arthur smiled and shook his head. "I should've known." Then he removed his helmet. Lia couldn't believe it when she saw Gwaine in the arena. "Nobody fights like you do."

Lia was not the only one surprised. When Gwaine turned and faced the stands, the fury was evident on Uther's face. "Guards! Seize him!"

Lia sighed helplessly as Gwaine was surrounded and detained. She wanted nothing more than to chase after him, but knew she had a job to do. Both she and Gaius were led to a tent where the dead bodies of Sir Oswald and Ethan were dragged to.

"Is there nothing you can do for them?" Uther asked, thinking that he had lost to good knights.

"I'm sorry, it's too late for them," Lia said.

Uther looked angrily at Arthur, who was holding his wounded arm. "The prisoner is responsible for their deaths. I want him executed immediately."

"You might want to wait before you pass judgement," Gaius said. He reached down and removed the crystals hanging around their necks. "I fear that Sir Ethan and Sir Oswald are not all that they seem."

While he held the magical crystals out to Uther, Lia removed their helmets. Uther's eyes widened in shock as he looked down at the two strangers. "Sorcery," he muttered.

"And once again, I owe Gwaine my life," Arthur said, looking to his father.

| | |

Uther and Arthur had been debiting the fate of Gwaine for a long time. Lia had wanted to be there, waiting with Gwaine and Merlin, but she had to see to all the wounded knights from the melee. While Merlin leaned against the wall outside the council chambers, Gwaine paced nervously back and forth. Soon, Arthur came out with a grim expression on his face.

"The King is prepared to overlook the fact that you fought in the melee," he told Gwaine.

"That's fantastic!" Merlin said, grinning.

"Thank you, Arthur," Gwaine told him.

"But," Arthur sighed, not wanting to continue, "he's a stubborn man. He will not rescind his judgment. You must leave Camelot."

Gwaine gave a small, rueful smile and nodded in understanding. He was unfortunately not surprised. Merlin did not take the news as easily. "You've got to speak to him, Arthur, make him change his mind."

Gwaine put up his hand to silence him, knowing it was not worth it. "Merlin."

"I'm sorry Gwaine. My father's wrong. If it were up to me—"

"I know," he interrupted gently. He thought of Lia's kind words about the prince and could not help but agree. "You don't need to explain yourself."

"You have until sunset," Arthur told him.

| | |

"Where will you go?" Merlin asked as Gwaine got ready to leave.

"I was thinking Mercia."

"It's dangerous," he warned.

"Yeah. And you get a lot more ale for your money," he said, earning an unimpressed look from Merlin. "I'm joking."

"Why don't you tell the King who you really are? He'll grant you a pardon. You can stay in Camelot," Merlin said, trying his hardest to get him to stay.

Gwaine shook his head. "I could never serve under a man like Uther."

"Yet you helped Arthur," Merlin pointed out.

"He stood up for me," Gwaine said, not making it a big deal.

"I knew he would."

"That showed he is, indeed, a noble man."

"Then why don't you stay?" Merlin asked, frowning. Gwaine sighed heavily. "You could be a knight. Like your father. You and Arthur, you fought well together."

"Then maybe one day we will again," Gwaine said. He clapped Merlin on the shoulder before heading to leave. He glanced at the servant over his shoulder. "You said Lia was in the markets, yes?"

After getting confirmation, that was just where Gwaine headed. And Merlin met with Arthur at the ramparts above the lower town. They were able to spot Gwaine walking through the streets with purpose.

"It's a shame. He would've been a great knight," Arthur said, frowning.

"Maybe one day he still will," Merlin said, looking on the bright side.

"The rules won't allow it. Knights are noblemen. Always have been, always will be. It's a tradition that—" Arthur cut himself off when Gwaine walked up to Lia, who smiled brightly at him. He watched as they began chatting. Lia may have told him in her drunken state not to worry, but he forgot all about that as she hugged him tightly. "They seem very friendly!"

"Why should you care?" Merlin asked, holding back a snicker.

Arthur turned to him but then instantly looked back at Lia and Gwaine, not wanting to take his eyes off of them. "I don't."

Below in the streets, Lia was laughing heartily at something Gwaine had said. Then she placed a hand on his chest. Arthur took note of how her fingers touched the bare skin that poked out through his collar.

"She could do better than that!" Arthur exclaimed, putting his hands on his hips.

"What? She should be setting her sights higher?" Merlin asked in a teasing tone. Arthur shrugged, pretending not to care. "Oh, but I forget! She can't. A girl of Lia's standing, no. She could never consort with a nobleman. That's the rules."

"Merlin," he said in a flat tone.

"Let me guess — shut up?" he asked, receiving a nod from Arthur. But he wasn't quite finished with his fun. "So, you don't want to hear about how when drunk, Lia admitted that Gwaine is a fairly good kisser?" Arthur clenched his first, knowing that Merlin was just messing with him. Before he could hit him, Merlin called his attention back to Lia. "Oh, look. She's going in for seconds!"

They watched as Lia placed her hands on Gwaine's shoulders and pressed a lingering kiss to his cheek — at least, to Arthur it looked like she lingered. They parted, but Lia did smile at Gwaine over her shoulder as she left. The expression on Gwaine's face could only be described as endearing as he watched her go.

Arthur grumbled to himself before roughly turning Merlin towards the castle. As they walked, they shoved each other back and forth.

"Did she really say he was a good kisser?" Arthur asked in a quiet tone after a moment.

"Why do you care?" Merlin asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You know why I care, Merlin," he said. Merlin was surprised that he said it outloud.

"No, Arthur," he said in a soft tone. "She never said that. Lia and Gwaine are nothing more than friends. You needn't worry."

Arthur nodded in both understanding in thanks. But then the tender moment passed and he harshly shoved Merlin with his elbow. "You've got armor to polish."

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

36.8K 928 29
It had been eight long years since Adeline Dartmouth and Arthur Pendragon had seen one another. The two, once attached at the hip, are reunited when...
17.3K 633 20
Arthur Pendragon has always trusted his father's opinion of sorcery. He has witnessed, first hand, the atrocities Camelot's enemies could commit with...
14.6K 649 51
๐•ญ๐–”๐–”๐– ๐•ฟ๐–œ๐–” ๐”–๐”ฒ๐”ช๐”ช๐”ž๐”ฏ๐”ถ: From trolls to dragons to foreign princesses, Astraea Aphelion grows stronger as she continues to navigate medieval...
75K 1.1K 30
This is a bunch of BBC Merlin one shots because I love Merlin and all his people. I don't do Merthur sorry. I do take suggestions and propmts! I DON...