Lessons of the Heart and the...

By JadedRein

Isadora could sense there was something special about the new teacher Mr.Marrs, and it was more than the fact... More

1: New Year, New Me
2: Tardy Already
3: It's On Me
4: Getting Over the Awkward
5: Dreamlike Whispers
6: Seventeen with Scissors
7: Work Those Smiles
8: Jake the Jock
9: Just A Ride
10: Confidence In Subconsciousness
11: Sickness Dripped With Sarcasm
12: Unwanted Attention
13: Suspicions Confirmed
14: Paging Doctor Aiden
15: Aiden the Instigator
16: They Call Me Bitemark
17: Putting a Phone to Use
18: Partner in Crime
19: Ambushed
20: Show Me
21: No Excuse
22: Calm Before the Storm
23: Aiden's Revenge
24: The Vampire's Lair
25: Bully
26: His Secret
27: Malfunction
28: Game Plan
29: College Buddies?
30: Curious Student
31: Just the Beginning
32: Grand Mess of Things
33: A Creeping Feeling
34: Not So Pleasant Introductions
35: First Name Basis
36: Bargaining Chip
37: Primal Instincts Released
38: The Gentle Care-Taker
39: In This Together
40: Comfortably Close
41: Your Classic Breakfast Conversation
42: Sneaky Little Devil
43: Knowing a Little Too Much
44: Lies Being Told
45: Mindless Buzz
46: Feed Me the Truth
47: Bad Influence
48: Detention Daze
49: Not So Sealed Lips
50: House and Home
51: Pushed Down
52: Everyone Else
53: More to Know
55: The Smallest Sparks Start the Biggest Fires
56: Questions; Unasked Doesn't Mean Unanswered
57: Breaking Down
58: Opening Up
59: Little Creatures so Upfront
60: Hunger
61: What This Means
62: Normality
63: Somewhat Truce
64: A Dark Feeling
65: Ownership
66: Selfish Bonds
67: Let the Games Begin
68: A Taste of Brutality
69: Bloodthirst
70: Embrace the Unexpected
71: Hold Nothing Back
72: Somethings Happening Here

54: Bonding Over Books

42.5K 419 25
By JadedRein

As we made our way through the book store I felt as though I was simply radiating warmth. Being around Collin didn’t feel awkward like it once had. On the contrary my body felt so at ease I was surprised that I hadn’t known him my entire life. It almost felt as though I had. His smiles felt so familiar and wonderful that they reflected almost instantly on my own face. Unlike at school, while we were in this mall with only the company of each other, Collin was showing his natural personal side; and I loved it,

The way his expression played on his face exited me. I was getting better at reading him. Before I spoke I could almost sense his reaction. My body no longer feared him but embraced him completely to the point it suddenly was yearning for him. I couldn’t even begin to tell you how many times I had to stop myself from giving in to my body and just doing something as simple as touching him. I wanted to feel his skin again, to feel the warmth between us. But I restrained myself which was not as easy as it may sound.

“Water is for drinking not swimming.” I said with a laugh.

“You don’t enjoy swimming?”

I shook my head. “Why bother? All you’re doing is getting wet and if I wanted to do that I’d take a shower.”

He smiled, amused at my statement. “There’s also the relaxation and athletic side to it.”

“If I need exercise I’ll go running.”

“Why run if you’re not going anywhere?” he retorted with a mischievous smile. With as much as we had in common we had a lot of differences as well and we were finding them out one by one. And all of them only seemed to bring me closer to him instead of further.

I shifted my eyes from the book I pulled from the shelf and towards his sparkling ones. “So that when I have somewhere to run to I’ll be able to make the journey.” My lips turned into a triumphant sly smile.

He shook his head slowly smiling back at me. “I suppose that’s true.” he admitted. His eyes shifted to the book in my hand and a small mischievous glint came to his green eyes. “I’ll be right back.”

“All right, I’ll be here.” I nodded and he disappeared behind an aisle of books.

A Saturday afternoon with Collin. I thought happily wanting to forever store the memory in my mind. It was all so perfect. He was so perfect. Collin. My mind hummed. It could never get enough of his name, enough of him. It wanted more and I was glad. I wanted more. I wanted to kiss him again. I wanted to taste him on my lips… No Isa. Stop it. Be mature. I tried to snap myself out of my obsessive thoughts.

I didn’t have to try hard though for suddenlt I had some help. It came in the form of a male’s voice as he asked, “Ah, an Eric Zonnen novel. Are you a fan of his work?”

I turned to look over at the young man who’d spoken to me. “I suppose.” I said with a soft shrug. “I enjoyed his Trailing Eyes Trilogy so I thought I might find some more of his work.”

“Oh? Which side did you root for?”

“I found the Travelers the most likeable.” I admitted. I’d connected to them in the book. The way they never had a house but made everywhere their home seemed to remind me of how I lived. Make the best of nothing and turn it into something.

He nodded, knowingly. “Finnian did bring the most to the table.” he said of one of the characters, obviously having read the book. “Zonnen made him develop well for a side character and really added life to the Travelers that wouldn’t have been there otherwise.”

I nodded with a smile. “You’re right. He’s the main reason I felt they were more real than the others.”

“Less distant.” he agreed and returned the smile, his deep brown eyes shining from beneath his shaggy black hair as he extended his hands towards me. “I’m Lucas.”

“Isadora.” I returned his introduction and shook his hand.

He watched as I put back the book I’d been scanning. “Looking for anything in particular? You could call me a bit of a bookworm so I know a fair deal.”

“Anything good.” I laughed lightly. “I’ll read anything that’s well written.”

“Don’t confine yourself to a genre?”

“No, I like to read with an open mind. Can never learn what you like if you don’t sample a little of everything.”

Lucas smiled at me again. “Well I have some great ones I could suggest to you if you’d like?”

I nodded. I was always in search of a new good book. It was the only thing that I’d been able to distract myself with at nights so I didn’t fantasize about Collin or worry about the weird state my body was going through. “I’d appreciate it.”

“There’s a few that come to mind. Against Black Suns is one I just finished reading I think you might enjoy. I can show you to it?”

“Oh, I’m actually here with someone.” I admitted. “I promised him I’d wait for him to get back.”

He gave me another smile and nodded. “Your brother, I noticed.”

Why did everyone seem to think that I was of relation to Collin or something? We didn’t act like we were father and daughter or brother and sister or anything for that matter. I mean friends I could understand, since we were that. I kept the annoyance from coming to my face and opened my mouth to correct him but he continued talking before I could.

“I’m sure he won’t mind. I’ll make sure to have you back here once I show you the section. He won’t even realize you’re gone.”

“He’s actually not my-“ I started to say.

The words caught in my throat as a warm strong hand wrapped round my own. “Sorry I took so long Isa.” Collin apologized as a tingle shot down my arm and through my fingertips into his hand which caused him to squeeze my right hand gently in response. “It took me a little to find what I was looking for.”

My cheeks flushed as I stuttered, “That’s all right.” Something as simple as holding hands had caused my entire body to warm and tingle slightly. I was surprised I wasn’t glowing or causing heat waves to show in the air around me.

As though just noticing Lucas was there Collin turned his eyes off of me and towards him. “Oh I’m sorry,” he said in a friendly tone, “I hadn’t meant to interrupt. I’m Collin.”

“Lucas.” he responded with a nod. “It’s all right we were just talking about books.”

I nodded thankful for the diversion from my buzzing insides. “He’s a fellow Zonnen reader.”

Collin smiled and tilted his head slightly. “I’ve never read the books myself but Isa assures me they’re quite good.” he admitted.

“They are.” Lucas agreed and eyed Collin the second he had diverted his eyes to me.

“Speaking of good reads,” he said and handed forth the book he had gone to get for me. I accepted it with my left hand seeing as my right was still happily wrapped in his, “I thought you might like this.”

I looked down at the cover of a woman painted in the impressionism style in soft pastel colors. “The Debutant’s Hairtie.” I read the cover and turned it over to read the back flap.

“It’s based in the early nineteenth century.” Collin explained from beside me as I read. “About a young woman whose father is planning on having her wed. In the beginning she supports this idea but events begin to take place and the storyline changes into a slightly darker one.” I looked up into his eyes. “I know how much you like nineteenth century era and anything suspenseful and deep.”

“Thank you.” I said gratefully and ran my thumb over the cover of the book. “I can’t wait to read it.”

Lucas’s smile caught my attention as he said, “I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. I have a feeling you’ll be able to connect with Annabel, she seems like she’d have a personality you would relate to.” I could sense a hint of pride in his voice for having already read the book. “If you like 19th century era then I have some suggestions if you’d like.”

“I think I’m good for today, thanks.” I said politely with a smile. The fact that Collin had paid attention enough to know what I’d be interested in flattered me. I suddenly wanted to be able to selfishly enjoy my alone time with him.

He nodded. “If you ever need some book advice you can always find me here. This bookstore is like a second home to me.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Are you ready to check out?” Collin asked and I nodded. “It was nice meeting you Lucas.” he gave him a polite nod. His hand released mine as we turned around to head towards the front of the store.

My heart sunk a little and I shifted the book my right hand now that it was empty so it wouldn’t feel so lonely. The warmth radiated from my fingertips against the book as it began to slowly cool now that it had been released.

“You don’t mind do you?” Collin asked and as I turned to see what he was talking about his right hand wrapped itself around my empty left one. As I blushed he read it wrong as embarrassment and added, “It’s out of the way so I highly doubt we’ll see anyone who would recognize us.”

“I don’t mind.” I breathed and looked away to try and hide the smile that was on my heated face. To show him I was all right with it I intertwined my fingers with his even though I couldn’t bear to meet his eyes. I was much too happy and was worried he’d find it pathetic or immature. We were just holding hands. Nothing monumental. Yet to me it felt like the world was glowing. Collin. My mind hummed as it often did and warm tingles shot down through my hand into his.

I turned to see if he felt it and his eyes met mine. I noticed that his beautiful seafoam green eyes held the same exact emotions as mine did; pleasure, embarrassment and surprise. “Sorry, I don’t know why it does that.” I mumbled when I realized that he could feel the same energy radiating through me into him.

“It’s all right.” he smiled, dare I say it, lovingly at me. “It’s a nice sensation.”

“It only does it with you.” I said before I could stop myself.

His hand tightened gently around mine for a moment as we approached the counter and he said, “I’m glad.”

I smiled again and bit my lip softly trying not to let out the grin that was tempted to. The creeping feeling that maybe Collin had chosen this mall just because no one else would see us together filled me. Had he been waiting for this moment all along like I secretly had been?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6M 168K 102
Charlie Landon had her future worked out until her mother died in a freak shark attack. Her father uproots their lives in favour of moving back to hi...
57.8K 956 28
From the moment they first locked eyes, a deep kinship sparked between them, evolving swiftly into an unbreakable friendship. Tyler, with his boyish...
11.2K 375 23
*Some people bring out the worst in you, Some people bring out the best in you* I watched as his lips moved, how his fist clenched and unclenched, h...
28.8K 1.4K 47
𝐖𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐬𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐟𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐀 𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭, 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐬𝐞...