My Brother's Best Friend

By MidnightDiamond2013

Ryan and Ruby's brother, Matt, have been best friends for years. Ryan always wanted to go to the army and 6 m... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Epilogue
Sequel

Chapter 17

17.2K 418 28
By MidnightDiamond2013

(Ruby's dress to the side)

(Ruby's POV)

"Ruby, come on." Mom groans through the curtain. "Show me."

"Two seconds, Mom."

We're currently in the mall and I'm trying on a dress for tonight's memorial. I know, talk about last minute. It's not as if I haven't been looking, it's just that it's so hard to find a nice dress.

"I'm getting old out here."

"You," I say as I yank the curtain open. "Are the most impatient woman I know."

"Oh, honey," she gasps, her hands covering her mouth. I know she hasn't listened to a word I said. "You look fabulous."

I roll my eyes at her behaviour. She's said the exact same thing for the last five dresses, which, might I add, were all awful dresses picked out by her and the ancient shop assistant. This dress was one I had picked out myself and I hope to God it's nice.

I turn around to glance at the mirror. The cream color of the dress matched my complexion perfectly. The sleeves were cuffed and ended at my elbows, giving the dress an almost innocent look. It ends a few inches above my knee, which, knowing Ryan and Matt will be 'far too short for me to be wearing'. It has a low neckline; but not too low that everything is on show.

I place my hands on my baby bump and smile at Mom in the mirror. "It's perfect."

After buying the dress and a pair of four inch gold heels, we make our way home. Four inches is the shortest pair of heels I've ever bought. All my heels at home are either five or six inches, but, wearing heels that high when I'm eight months pregnant probably isn't the best idea. Still, at least I'm not wearing flats.

"Are you excited?" Mom asks as we pull into the driveway. Dad's car is parked  in the garage but Matt and Ryan's are no where to be seen.

"Yeah," I lie, a smile on my face. "I am. It'll be nice to meet all Ryan's friends from the army."

Dad opens the front door for us just as Mom goes to put the key in the keyhole.

"Did you get one?" He asks, holding the door open for us after giving us both a hug.

"She did," Mom practically squeals. "Oh, Martin. Wait until you see it. It's beautiful!"

"I'm sure it is, dear," he replies.

"I'm going upstairs to get ready," I tell them both as Dad leads my overly excited mother into the living room.

I glance at my reflection in the mirror for what feels like the hundredth time. My long blonde hair, which is usually straight, is curled and ends half way down my back. My blue eyes are lined with a black eyeliner, while a golden brown covers my eyelids. I have a nude lip gloss on my lips, completing the look. The more I look at the dress I chose, the more I fall in love with it.

I rest my hands on my swollen stomach and sigh. As the time ticks on, I can't help but dread the night ahead. I have a strong feeling that something is going to go wrong. Ryan, on the other hand, can't wait to introduce me to everyone. Excited doesn't even cover how he's feeling. He's like a child who had just been told they were moving into Disneyland. I've tried to act excited for his sake because I know tonight means a lot to him, but I just can't shake off the bad feeling that I have.

"It's probably just nerves" Matt told me when I expressed my concern to him this morning. I suppose he's probably right. I mean, Ryan has told these guys so much about me. In fairness, who wouldn't be nervous to meet a bunch of guys from the army?

"Ruby," Dad calls from downstairs. "Ryan's here."

"Coming!"

I slip on my shoes, grab my clutch and take one last look in the mirror. "Here goes nothing" I whisper, smiling at my reflection.

I slowly make my way downstairs. God, it feels like I'm going to prom. Ryan is waiting at the bottom of the stairs for me in a black tux. He looks amazing; beyond sexy. I can't believe he's all mine.

"Wow," he breaths out as I reached the bottom step. "You look breathtaking!" He takes my hand and kisses it gently.

I smile up at him. "You don't look too bad yourself."

He leans down and kisses my lips gently before leading me into the kitchen to get our coats and say goodbye to my family.

"Oh, honey," Mom says, again, rushing towards me and pulling me into a hug. "You look gorgeous!"

"Thanks, Mom" I say with a laugh. She pulls back and I can see she had tears in her eyes. See, it's just like prom.

Dad comes up beside her and wraps his arm around her waist. "You look beautiful, Ruby. Have a good time tonight," he tells me before turning to Ryan. "You make sure you look after my baby girl."

Dad does his best to sound stern and even though Ryan knows he's only messing, he still takes it on himself to look after me as if his life depends on it. "I will. You don't have to worry about her when she's with me."

"Damn, Ruby" Matt says playfully as he walks into the kitchen. "You look hot, even though you're pregnant and all."

"Gee thanks...I think" I tell him as he wraps his arm around my shoulder and pulls me into an awkward hug. "What kind of hug is that?" I slap his chest and push him away.

"Can't a guy show some love for his baby sister?" he asks pretending to be hurt.

"Yeah, whatever you two" Ryan says as he walks up to me and helps me put on my coat. "Ready to go?" I turned to face him.

"Yeah," I smile.

He takes my hand as we walk towards the front door. I shiver as the cool November air hits me. I pull my coat tighter around my shoulders and huddle closer to Ryan. He chuckles at my actions and wraps his arm around me, not only to keep me warm but as a protective gesture as well.

I'm relieved to find that while he was inside he left the heater on in the car, knowing that when we came out I would be cold. I wave to my family standing on the doorstep as we turn the car and make our way down the long driveway.

Fifty minutes later I find myself walking hand-in-hand with Ryan into a very posh hotel on the outskirts of a small town.

"This place is amazing," I whisper to him as we take our coats off and hand them to the clerk manning the cloakroom.

He hands Ryan our ticket and wishes us a good evening. We make our way down a corridor towards the suite where we will be spending the evening along with Ryan's friends whom he had spent seven months living with. Just as we reach the door, Ryan pulls me aside.

"Ruby," he says, putting his hands on my hips and pulling me close to him. "I'm so happy that you agreed to come here with me this evening. I know you were nervous about it."

I opened my mouth to ask him how he knew that, but he cuts me off.

"Matt told me," he simply states, answering my unspoken question. "I know that you came here for me, which is why I've done something for you."

I look at him with a puzzled expression. He smiles back at me.

"We're staying here tonight and tomorrow night. Both my parents and your parents agreed that we needed time together. Matt also said that you were in need of a good relaxation weekend away and a spa day."

"Are you serious?" I squeal in excitement.

"Yeah," he says with an infectious smile.

"Thank you!" I almost screamed as I flung my arms around his neck. "You're the best boyfriend ever!"

"I know," he said with a wink.

"Wait! What about my clothes and make-up?"

"Don't worry, the bags are in the trunk of the car. The valet will bring them up to our room." He pulls out a key from his pocket, a beaming smile on his perfect face.

I squeal once more before pulling him into a hug and press my lips to his. He kisses me back passionately before pulling away.

I pout up at him. "Why do you always do that just as we're getting to the good part?"

He throws his head back and laugh at me. "Don't worry, we'll have plenty of time for that later." Suddenly his face turns serious. "There's something I need to tell you before we go in here." He motions to the door behind us.

(Ryan's POV)

I'm so happy that Ruby agreed to come with me tonight, but I need to warn her about Chris. I know he's still mad at me. He blames me for his friend's death when it wasn't my fault. I kept my promise to him as best I could. I done everything I could to help him but in the end his death was inevitable. I almost shudder at the thought of that horrifying day.

"Ryan, tell me. Is everything okay?" Ruby's voice drags me out of my daydream. I smile down at her.

"I know I told you that I got on great with all the guys from the army. That's not true though." I pause for a second as I take in her features. I'm so lucky to have her; so lucky to be having a baby with her. "There's one guy that hates my guts. I need you to stay away from him at all costs. He can't be trusted."

"Why? Who is he?" I open my mouth to answer her but I'm cut off by the sound of that one guy who I didn't want Ruby to meet.

"Ryan, old pal. How are you?" Chris says in an almost taunting voice as he makes his way towards us.

Ruby turns to face Chris, something flashes in her eyes but it's gone before I can tell what it is.

I glare at Chris as his eyes rake over Ruby's body. His lips twitch upwards as his eyes land on her swollen stomach. I clench my fist in anger at the thought of him laying a finger on her.

"You must be Ruby? I've heard so much about you. Believe me, I've been just dying to meet you."

**********

I hope you all enjoy this chapter :) Let me know what you think

Don't forget to Vote/Comment/Follow xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.8K 2.2K 43
Ruby just started at her new school and trips into a complicated life, involving her best friend's boyfriend, Matthew. And God, did she try to keep a...
42K 517 66
Disclaimer: This is the second book to 'pregnant by my best friends brother' so if you haven't read that go read that first then come back to this on...
8.3K 162 14
Laura is the nerd who got drunk at a party a got pregnant with the schools player's baby, she only has her brother as her family, what happens when s...
50.8K 1.4K 47
What happens when life goes crazy and Seth and Tyler family is faced with problems they weren't ready for? Can't this family catch a break? Follow th...