What The Alpha Says...Goes (b...

By DoUbLeZone

How can you love someone you fear? Laken is a werewolf; the runt of the pack. What happens when the Alpha sta... More

Chapter 1: He hates me...
Chapter 2: Should have fed the damn goldfish...Karma
Chapter 3: Mine
Chapter 4: I must be dreaming
Chapter 5: Dear Lord have mercy...
Chapter 6: The moon always masks reality
Chapter 7: Alpha's Orders
Chapter 8: Are you starting to see a pattern here?
Chapter 9: Nothing About That Is Normal
Chapter 10: How do you know my name?
Chapter 11: Shattered glass and crazy hearts
Chapter 12: Ice cream and Skittles
Chapter 13: Diamond hearts
Chapter 14 : Chemical attraction?
Chapter 15: This Isn't the eighteenth century!
Chapter 16: Give him a chance...
Chapter 17: The Council's girls
Chapter 18: I love you, please don't leave me
Chapter 19: I'll take the left...
Chapter 20: The sins of the father...
Chapter 21: Where's Carson?
Chapter 22: Promises you can't keep.
Chapter 23: I feel nothing...
Chapter 24: Talking to a dead man
Chapter 26: Gather your arms men it's time for War!
Chapter 27: Fairy tales are for children.
Chapter 28: It's simple, kill or be killed.
Chapter 29 Those three words

Chapter 25: Implications be damned

157K 5.3K 1.6K
By DoUbLeZone

Chapter 25

I looked over at him again, took up a chip and crunched it between my teeth. The sound was almost deafening in the silent room, but he kept his eyes firmly on the papers before him.

We were at his house holed up in his study. I was supposed to be writing thank you letters to all the people who had sent me Christmas presents. When I’d gotten back to camp two days ago I was pretty surprised to see that people; as they had done every year before, had actually still gone out and gotten me gifts despite the troubles within the pack and now as was tradition, I was expected to write letters to every single one of them thanking them for their kindness.

‘Was’ being the operative word here because instead of focusing on my task I was trying to annoy the hell out of Carson who sat around his large mahogany desk doing pack business.

I took up another tortilla chip, stuck it in the dip and crunched it again, making sure to keep my mouth open enough so that he could here every bite.

Still nothing, not even a twitch.

I did it again and tried to hold back a grin when he finally looked at me with narrowed eyes.

I blinked over at him, trying to look innocent but he wasn’t fooled.

“Laken I have to get this work done today.” He said gesturing to the papers.

“Yeah I wanna get my letters done today too, so I really can’t talk right now.” I said fighting desperately to hide my grin while I turned my attention back to my letters.

He shook his head then turned back to his work.

After about a minute had passed I dipped into the bowl beside me for an extra large chip and bit into it, moaning as if it was the most delicious thing I’d ever tasted.

He looked over at me again and I held up the bowl offering him some. He glared at me. “You know that’s really distracting.” He said.

“Oh I’m not distracted, you want some or not?” I asked once again feigning innocence. He gritted his teeth and started scrawling on the sheet of paper vigorously while obviously trying to tune me out.

Ok maybe it was time to stop annoying him, I thought shifting in my seat in an attempt to get more comfortable but I didn’t have a firm grip on the dish in my hand so when my knee accidentally bounced it it fell from my hand and shattered against the tiled floor, shards of glass and pieces of chips scattering across his floor.

“That’s it!”

I looked up at Carson my eyes widening as he pushed up from his desk. He had a gleam in his eyes as he started making his way over to me.

Oh oh, I knew that look!

“Oh shit!” I squealed scrambling out of the chair and running towards the door, he grabbed my arm before I could make it into the hall though and half lifted me off the ground throwing me back into the chair, then he pounced.

“No no I’m sorry I won’t distract you anymore I swear I swear!” I shouted between fits of giggles while he tickled me mercilessly.

“Didn’t your mother ever tell you that you shouldn’t swear?” he said not even pausing with his ruthless tickling and I couldn’t even fight back because of his injuries so all I could do was laugh, squirm and beg.

Haha yes, I’m sorry haha stop!”

“You’ll leave me to my work?” he asked, still keeping up with the tickles.

“I hapromise haha!”

“I don’t believe you”

“No no I will I will!”

He stopped abruptly and I sighed in relief, then tried to catch my breath.

He planted a loud wet kiss on my forehead then got up and went back around his desk.

‘You’re no fun.” I declared with a pouty face.

He raised an eyebrow. “You want me to come back over there and show you just how fun I can be?” his eyes had that gleam in them again.

“No No, carry on.” I mumbled. I wasn’t sure I couldn’t take much more of that. Instead I kneeled on the ground and proceeded to pick up the shards of glass and chips off the ground, then depositing them in a nearby bin. When I’d picked up all the visible pieces I left the room in search of a broom and scoop and then came back to finish the job.

“Oh I’m going over Lyla  for awhile.” I announced, gathering up my letters.

His yes shot up to meet mine then. “No you’re not, remember we agreed that you stay in the camp until this mess is straightened out?” he said.

I couldn’t help but heave a disappointed sigh. I hadn’t seen her in what felt like forever and no visitors were allowed into the pack right now. “Okay.” I said and turned to go.

“Laken.” He called and I paused looking at him “I hope you’re planning to listen to me this time.”

I flinched at that. I suppose it was going to take awhile for him to start trusting me again.

“I’ll go watch TV.” I assured him then closed the door quietly behind me.

……………………..

I was lounging on his bed and flipping through channels when he entered the room two hours later.

“You done?” I asked not taking my eyes from the screen.

“Nope, can’t concentrate.” He said with a sigh before lowering himself onto the bed beside me. I immediately leaned against him and he shifted to make me more comfortable.

“Don’t tell me you’re gonna do this again.” He said rolling his eyes.

Last night we’d lounged in this same spot while I flipped through station after station unable to choose something to watch. It had gotten to the point where he’d just taken the remote from me and we’d ended up watching something neither of us had enjoyed.

“Nah I’m looking for The Avengers. I wanna watch it again.” I told him.

“How about we not watch anything tonight.” He said softly, his eyelids were lowered and he was giving me the look.

 I licked my lips and batted away the hand that had come to rest on my thigh.

“We can’t my mom said I gotta be home tonight remember?” I told him. Carson had explained away my three week disappearing act and she’d pretty much accepted it but she said she still missed me so I had to sleep in my own room rather than at Lyla’s; the place she thought I went constantly.

“What time do you have to leave?” he asked kissing my neck.

I shivered then cleared my throat; “In like ten minutes. She called earlier.” I told him moving away from him less he be tempted to carry on. He groaned and stretched out on the bed, eyeing me with that same heated look.

I could only chuckle. “You have work to do anyway.”

“Don’t remind me.”

“What’s the pack meeting tomorrow about anyway.” I asked changing the subject.

“You’ll find out tomorrow.”

“What’s the point of being the alpha’s mate if I can’t get news before the rest of the pack?” I grumbled, then grinned when he poked me playfully in my side with his toes.

“Just don’t be late.” He grinned and this time I dodge his seeking toes and hopped off the bed.

“I’m gonna go before my mom starts calling cause then she’ll never stop.” I said, walking over to where he lay and kissing him on the lips. He raised his head trying to drag it out but I broke away with a smile. He was so adorable when he was like this.

“You want me to walk with you?” he asked me when I reached the door.

I rolled my eyes, “Yeah right.” and then I was out the door, down the hall and in the courtyard, making my way over to my house.

……………………

“…I don’t know, but everything fine here….yeah well you’ll be happy to know he doesn’t let me go anywhere….yeah I know I know…yeah see you soon…later.” I ended the call and threw my phone down on the bed.

That was Lucas; he called pretty much every day now to find out how I was. The weeks we’d spent together had made us pretty close and I missed him. He said he’s come as soon as he gathered enough help. I wasn’t really sure when that would be but I was looking forward to that and just in case you were wondering, yes Carson knew we talked constantly, I didn’t keep things from him anymore.

I went over to my room window looking out into the yard. It was 1:00a.m and I still couldn’t sleep. I’d been like this since the night Carson got shot, it would take me hours to get to sleep and whenever I did I would be plagued with nightmares.

As I looked out into the overgrown mess of trees and bush that was my yard a thought flashed through my mind and I found myself reaching for my phone.

“U remember when we 1st met, when u were in ur wolf form n u were tryin 2 get me to follow u into the forest?”

I typed the text and hit send then sat on my bed and waited for his response.

“yeah y?”

“Where were u tryin to get me 2 go?

“Maybe I’ll show u sometime”

“So I take it ur not gonna tell me then?”

“it’s prob best if I show u.”

“sigh, fine go back 2 bed.”

“k, night night.”

I sighed and lay back on the bed, I should probably take a sleeping pill or something because pack meetings were usually long and I really don’t think Carson would appreciate me falling asleep in it tomorrow.

………………………………………

“The fact that we are to be punished for your family’s crimes shows that we need someone better fit for this position, you are a hazard to the pack!” Jessop shouted from his position in the crowd. I rolled my eyes.

“Oh be quiet Jessop, it’s not his fault Victor lost a screw.” Someone shouted over to him.

“Yeah and The Alpha has already proven time and time again that he’s fit to lead, this shouldn’t change anything.” Another person spoke up.

“You’ve always been after his position.” Someone else shouted to him

“Oh stuff it Marylou what do you know anyway?” Jessop’s wife shouted back.

“I know you hav-“

“That’s enough.” Carson boomed and the place went silent once more. “Whether or not I was running this pack we’d still be faced with this problem. Victor wants revenge but it’s not his primary goal. He seeks power. We’re one of the largest packs in the state, it’s no surprise that a few of the smaller packs hold a grudge.”

He paused when Thomas came up behind him, said something to him that I had no chance of hearing, then handed him a long sheet of paper which he perused before handing it back.

“You’ll be happy to know that we made some progress, we’ve raided a few of the packs involved and held quite a large number of the wolves. Thomas has also informed me that we’ve captured Alfonso Giorgino, who also played a significant role in the plot. Victor however is still at large along with his guard, hence the reason we’ve had to take such drastic precautions in securing the camp.”

“Where are the prisoners Alpha? will you try them here?” a member asked

“No they will be tried for their crimes among their own.” He answered.

“Will they be sentenced to death then? Like they deserve?” Jessop spoke up again.

“If you had listened Jessop, you would have realized I said they would be put on trial, which means their punishment will be decided once we’ve asserted guilt. I probably should let you know though that I’ve decided no one will be sentenced to death. That’s the easy way out, they will remain alive to pay for their crimes the right way.” He announced.

 Jessop bristled while other pack members nodded or said something to their neighbor.

“Any questions before we move on?” Carson asked.

“Yeah, how’d the guys who took you get in in the first place? We have guards stationed all around the border and to get through the main gates an outsider has to be questioned by a guard.”

I don’t know what prompted me to look but when I did my eyes narrowed in suspicion. Jessop, who had been alert throughout most of the meeting had his head down and his wife was whispering fiercely in his ear.

His eyes darted around for a few seconds before he shook her off and straightened, still refusing to look anywhere but on the platform. I could bet anything that Jessop had something to do with it and I made a mental note to raise my suspicions to Carson when next we were alone.

“That’s something we’re looking into at the moment. We believe they entered with the help of a member of this pack and when we ascertain the person or persons involved we’ll be sure to deal with them appropriately. Anything else?’

No hands went up.

“Ok, now that that’s cleared up I have an important announcement to make, one that I’m sure most, if not all of you have a keen interest in.” he paused briefly, in which time Thomas came to stand by his side. “It’s something you have all been asking since the moment I inherited this position and I think it’s time I gave you an answer.” His eyes found mine in the crowd and I looked at him confused.

“Laken come up here for a second.” He said, his eyes still on me.

My face grew tomato red at his words and a chorus of voices went up in the crowd. Everyone had their eyes on me as I made my way up to the platform. They all looked confused, as if wondering why Carson was calling me on stage and I had a funny feeling he was about to do the thing I dreaded the most; announce to the pack that I was his mate.

 Implications be damned.

                                           AUTHOR'S NOTES

HERE YOU GO HAPPY PEOPLE! OH MY GOSH!! I GOT TWO OF THE SWEETEST MESSAGES EVER YESTERDAY!!..THEY REALLY TOUCHED ME AND SO I GOTTA GIVE THEM A SHOUTOUT!!!

TO: Nerd98 and to flutteroze... that was really sweet you two!!! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY <3 <3 <3

-DoUbLe.A

-unedited

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 29.5K 33
Ever since Adam came out as gay his been bullied by the pack especially by his brother Mark. The only reason why he stays in the pack is because of h...
38.3K 1.1K 30
Rogues were a species that were hated by many, some born as a rogue, some leaving their old packs because of their Alpha and some kicked out of their...
1.6M 61.6K 21
The new cover is thanks to a fan of mine, and I think they did a very wonderful job! @mwontobey Jamie, small, fragile, a major nerd. Ross, tall, stro...
1.8K 121 47
Oscar Wilson's life was just falling into place. He had a new life and was putting his past behind him. His art was taking off and he was helping so...