Reason [BNHA x HxH!Reader]

By bloomstruck

Everything happens for a reason - at least, that's what you'd like to believe. While playing Greed Island wit... More

[0] Departure
[1] Just Awake
[2] Solution
[3] Explosive Babies
[4] Auras
[5] Close Calls
[6] Field Trip
[7] Bird Brain
[8] Rampaging Evil
[x.1] Special
[9] Spreading Anxiety
[10] Declaration of War
[11] The Magician's Baile
[12] Go Go Go! U.A's Sport's Festival!
[13] Always Reaching For the Top
[14] Go Seize It!
[1-5] Anthology Chapter
[15] Bright and Cheerful
[16] Chuunibyou
[x.2] Special
[17] Budding Suspicions
[18] Foreigner VS. Sparking Killing Boy!
[6-10] Anthology Chapter
[19] Realized Capacity
[20] Consequences
[21] Underlying Threat
[22] Unwind
[23] The Big Three
[24] Code Names and Internships
[11-15] Anthology Chapter
[25] Scarlet-Eyed Lament
[26] Admonishment
[x.3] Crack Chapter
[27] Playing Detective
[28] Hero Killer
[29] S.O.S
[30] Higher Ground
[31] Two Sides of the Same Coin
[32] Secrets
[33] Specialist
[34] Study Hard!
[35] Back to the Basics
[36] Practicals
[37] Advantages
[38] Friends
[x.4] Crack Chapter Pt. 2
[39] Never a Moment of Rest
[40] Revelations
[41] Bloodlust
[42] Homesickness
[43] Fanfare
[44] Reinforcements
[45] Unease
[46] Touch and Go
[47] Remedial Hell
[48] Hysteria
[x.5] Crack Chapter Pt. 3
[x.6] Crack - Denki's Misfortune
[49] Intruders
[50] Budding Chaos
[51] York New City
[52] Tourists
[54] [Y/n]: Origin
[55] Hero Support
[56] A Little Help
[57] Reality Shift
[58] Reason
[59] Diminuendo
[60] Departure
[16-20] Anthology
[21-25] Anthology
[26-30] Anthology
END 1: Midoriya Izuku
END 2: Bakugou Katsuki
END 3: Todoroki Shouto
END 4: Iida Tenya
END 5: Ashido Mina
END 6: Kirishima Eijirou
END 7: Kaminari Denki
END 8: Sero Hanta
END 9: Uraraka Ochaco
END 10: Yaoyorozu Momo
END 11: Shinsou Hitoshi
END 12: Toga Himiko
END 13: Kurapika
END 14: Leorio Paladiknight
BNHA ENDING
SECRET ENDING
HXH TRUE END
[alternate realities]
[Q&A AND END NOTE]
5K Special: What If?

[53] An Informant's Infamy

2K 133 130
By bloomstruck

"Chrollo," you greeted with a terse smile, eyebrows knitted together. "What are you doing here?"

If somebody had told you a week ago that you would be back in your world with your classmates, you would've told them they were wildin'. If they tacked on that Chrollo Lucilfer, leader of the Phantom Troupe, was offering you guys help instead of trying to kill you? You would've not-so-kindly referred them to a psychologist.

And yet . . . And yet. Here you were, out on the streets of York New City with your friends, no contact from Ai, and Chrollo Lucilfer standing in front of you all with a coy and knowing smile.

"I'm not here for a fight, don't worry. I'm back in this world, and that was my goal."

Of course it was — with his nen back, there was nothing stopping Chrollo from regrouping with the Phantom Troupe. However, you couldn't overlook his other goal in getting you to join the Phantom Troupe. Vaguely, you understood. Now that you were communicating regularly with Ai (at least, when they weren't giving you radio silence), you could see how Chrollo would want to utilize your unique ability. Not that you'd ever let him, but he seemed determined.

Taking a step in front of your friends as if to shield them, you scowled up at the man. "Like hell. Why would I believe you when you literally said you were going to force me to join your little girl gang from before?"

Gray eyes seemed to pierce through you in a calculating gaze, the small smile never leaving. "Hm . . . Ideally, having only you here and the chain user and Hisoka back in your world would be the best case scenario." His words had you even tenser than before, your entire body rigid. "However . . . Not only is one of my colleagues back in your world, but I think it'd be in everybody's best interest if your friends went back to their own world."

The way Chrollo said 'friends' made it seem as if he couldn't quite understand the notion of actually having friends. Assuming that his 'colleague' was probably Illumi, considering assassins and thieves usually worked together, you frowned.

"[Y/n], there's no way you can believe him."

A hand on your shoulder startled you out of your thoughts and you looked back to see Hanta, his face more serious than you had ever seen it. The others looked as equally serious, unease and graveness etched on everybody's features. Chewing on your lower lip, you tossed your options around in your head.

By no means did you trust Chrollo, nor would you ever trust him. Cynicism overpowered your thoughts as you mulled over his words. Clearly, he was here with some reason — he wasn't the type to just appear to harass somebody, unlike Hisoka. Chrollo always had a purpose, and from his words and phrasing, you could hear the hidden implication that he was offering his help. Why? How? There was nothing to be gained from helping your group, unless Chrollo really did just need Illumi back here, and your friends back in their world.

No matter how you looked at it, the predicament was confusing all around.

Hesitating, you turned back to Chrollo, whom had been waiting patiently, hands leisurely in his trench coat pockets.

"I don't trust you at all," you started slowly.

Chrollo quickly interjected. "I'm not asking you to trust me, I'm only offering my assistance in finding what you need. Scouring the city like you currently are will lead you nowhere."

His words made you pause again, [e/c] eyes narrowing skeptically. ". . ."

"You can't be serious! Are you really considering his offer?!" Neito's voice was clearly stressed, and you fully turned around to face them as you snapped back.

"He's right, though. We have no clue where we're going exactly, and we can't afford to waste time. I hate to admit it, but we don't really have an option right now!"

For a moment, nobody responded, everybody staring at you with pursed lips and dubious gazes. Denki was the first to reply to your small outburst.

". . . I trust you, [Y/n]. I say we listen to what he has to say."

Mina backed him up, giving you a strained but genuine smile. Hanta and Neito, on the other hand, didn't seem as willing or keen on following suit, but after a moment, both relented. It didn't stop Neito from shooting a particularly vicious glare at you and then Chrollo, though, muttering how you were going to get them all killed.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, asshole.

Turning back to Chrollo again, you crossed your arms in an attempt to make you look more secure than you really felt right now. "Earlier, you confirmed we were looking for information. You know an informant." Tone accusing, your words weren't a question. You knew that Chrollo wouldn't have approached you with an opening line like that if he didn't already know somebody, and the widening of Chrollo's smile proved just that.

God, did he have to look so smug?

"I do."

When Chrollo didn't elaborate anymore, you huffed, resisting the urge to roll your eyes. "Well, can you take us to them?"

"If you answer just one question," he bargained, nearly causing you to groan. Seeing that you weren't going to protest, Chrollo asked away. "That being inside of you . . . Ai . . . Why isn't it helping you?"

Leave it to Pariston to have told everybody about your little parasite friend. Bristling at Chrollo's usage of the word 'it' to refer to your companion, you scowled. No way in hell were you going to tell him about Ai's (hopefully) temporary disappearance, but if you lied, Chrollo would catch it just as easily.

Think . . . Think!

Luckily, one of your friends came in clutch for you, although it wasn't the one you expected.

"Ai can't go to somebody they don't know, so since we don't know any informants, Ai is useless," Neito proclaimed haughtily, hands on his hips. "[Y/n] wants to find out more about Ai before we go back, so that's why we need an informant."

Okay, asshole or not, you could seriously kiss Neito at his life-saving explanation.

Chrollo examined you for a few seconds more, expression inscrutable, before nodding. You weren't sure if he believed you or not, but he finally nodded. "Very well. Follow me."

You couldn't help but tense as Chrollo walked past you, and for a moment none of you moved as he continued to walk.

"Well? Do you plan on just standing around all day?"

Chrollo's help had lead your group outside of a rickety-looking antique shop, aged much beyond its years. Skeptically, you looked up at the sign that seemed ready to fall at any moment.

"'Old World Oddities' . . ?" The name felt weird on your tongue, and Chrollo didn't look back at you as he entered the shop, leaving your group to exchange bewildered looks.

"I guess we should go in?" Denki wasn't too sure of the situation himself, but you all nodded anyways, following suit.

Chrollo wasn't anywhere you could see — the store was small and only consisted of one room, the walls covered in overflowing and cramped shelves. There were no aisles, just a counter and a door that probably led to the back. Had Chrollo went back there?

Wait, did he work here?! The thought was enough to make you snort, much to your friends' confusion.

Picking up a peculiar snow globe, Mina stuck her tongue out. "Oh, gross! There's a human eyeball in here!"

For a moment, you thought the worst, but upon seeing the eye was blue and not a vivid scarlet, you relaxed. This was definitely a weird store, and the items only got stranger as you went on. A music box with what you were pretty sure were blood stains; a piece of sheet music in a heavily padlocked glass case, the sign saying "DO NOT PLAY" in huge, red letters; disturbing paintings that depicted past expeditions of the Dark Continent. The last collection of items caught your eye as you went over all of them, tracing your fingers over a particular painting.

It was smudged with charcoal, but depicted several people either completely crushed, or their bodies twisted beyond recognition. The creature responsible was hard to identify, a mass of black that seemed to almost resemble a cloud. It kind of reminded you of Kurogiri, actually.

"Ai."

The unfamiliar and new voice had completely scared you as you hadn't been able to detect the presence at all. Whirling around with widened eyes, you took in the new addition. Certainly nobody you had ever seen before, meaning she wasn't a Phantom Troupe member. Lingering behind her, though, was Chrollo — was she the informant?

By first glance, you would have given an absolute 'no'. She was too pretty. Honestly, you had imagined informants to look greasy, or sleazy, perhaps. Certainly not a taller woman with skin almost paler than Chrollo's, as if she had never seen the sun. Framing her slanted, charcoal eyes was a pair of red, rectangular glasses, and her clothes were elegant, a long black skirt and a black turtle neck to match. Her hair, while falling just below her chin, had been styled in flawless waves — no, this was not somebody you would have ever pegged to be an informant.

The woman smiled wryly. "When you gawk like that, it makes me feel a bit self-conscious, honestly." Her words were more teasing than serious, and her eye contact didn't waver at all. "I'm Shiori. And you're [Y/n], correct?"

You mutely nodded, stepping aside. Shiori stepped up to the painting, finger grazing the edge. "This is Ai, one of the Five Threats to Humanity. Although you know that, don't you?"

Her gaze was sharp as she turned back to you, and you knew that she knew. Had Chrollo told her? You couldn't think of any other explanation for her knowledge.

Shiori drew back, looking over at the rest of your group.

"You five come with me to the back so we can talk," she commanded, before turning to Chrollo. Her lips tugged downwards in displeasure, and it was easy to see that there was tension between the two. "As for you . . . Keep your hands off of my shop wares. I don't care what else you do, as long as you don't bother us while we're talking."

Okay, this lady had some guts to boss around Chrollo so effortlessly. Even better, Chrollo didn't even argue, offering a dry smile of his own.

"I'm wounded." You weren't entirely sure if it was sarcasm, since Chrollo's tone didn't change, but nonetheless he shrugged. "You all go upstairs, and I'll stay in the back room, then."

The raven-haired woman nodded, before leading you all to the back and up a set of rickety stairs. As promised, Chrollo didn't follow, and you could tell that your friends were just as baffled as you.

Upstairs, as it turned out, was a sort of studio apartment. It was eerily plain as if it had come right out of a basic housing catalogue, and some dust showed that it had only been disturbed recently. Shiori had you all sit on a couch by a low coffee table before heading off to the kitchen.

"Okay, is this weird to anybody else, or is it just me?" Denki whispered, and you all shook your heads.

"No, no, this is definitely weird," Hanta confirmed.

Mina's lips pursed. "But the way she just told that jerk what to do without any fear! That was so cool!" Her voice was hushed, although her enthusiasm and amazement were still palpable.

"I feel like we're about to get murdered," Neito huffed, gritting his teeth. From behind, a gentle laugh chimed in, making you all jump and sit up straight as Shiori walked back in. She was carrying six tea cups and a pot of tea on a tray, carefully setting it down onto the table in front of you all. Afterwards, she pulled a chair up to the other side of the table.

"I'm not going to harm you all," she reassured your group, starting to pour out tea. Throwing caution to the wind, you grabbed a cup and sipped it. There was no reason to worry about any toxins — if Chrollo wanted you all dead, there would be easier ways to do it.

"So you're the informant, right?"

As everybody else gingerly took their cups of tea, Shiori gave another wry smile, accompanied by a sharp nod.

"And you're the troublemaker that has caused a rift between two universes. Right?"

Oof, she didn't have to call me out like that.

Laughing sheepishly, you confirmed her statement, and she continued, leaning back in her chair and sipping from her cup, the steam from her cup slightly fogging up her glasses.

"I can tell you all I know about Ai, and any other information you may need, but my services don't come for free. Do you understand?"

"Money's not an issue," you were quick to retort, but she shook her head once.

"Money's not a concern for me. An eye for an eye — I want information from you all as an exchange."

The strange request had you faltering as you looked at the others. They were as lost as you, and you tried to rack your brain. Honestly, did you even have any information to offer? When you thought about it, you really didn't think you knew anything that would benefit Shiori.

Seeing the confusion on all of your faces, Shiori pulled a book out of what seemed to be thin air, startling you all. Immediately, you used gyo, seeing the aura right away.

"Nen . . ?"

Shiori's fingers trailed down the binding of the book. "Correct. This is my hatsu — Open Book. When somebody touches this, it records all of their information. Name, date of birth, blood type — among others."

Hanta's eyebrows were furrowed as he finally spoke up, addressing Shiori for the first time. "So you want us all to touch that book so you can find out more about us?"

Unsurprisingly, Neito was against it. "What other information does it take? For all we know, you could be colluding with that criminal downstairs!"

This time, though, he had a valid point. The way Shiori had worded it seemed sketchy, and there really was nothing stopping her from passing on everybody's information to Chrollo. It would also explain why he wanted to bring you guys here.

On the other hand, Shiori didn't seem amused with the blond's accusation. "While I do work with Chrollo, I'm not going to give him your information." Her voice was bitter as she spoke. Seemed like Neito might have hit a sore spot for her. "This hatsu only activates to my nen. Nobody else can see what's written here save for me, not even with gyo. I have no reason to pass any of your information to Chrollo, as it doesn't benefit me in anyway. Besides — it would have been easier to just have Chrollo come up here, wouldn't it?"

She also had a decent point, and after a moment you slumped. "I'll do it," you offered, before looking at the others. "But I'm not going to force you all to touch that book. It's up to you."

While unsure, Denki was next to side with you. Him and Mina definitely trusted you, something you deeply appreciated in this set of circumstances. "I'll touch it, if it gets us home faster."

Mina parroted his words, and eventually the other two also agreed. On cue, Shiori held the book out to you first, and after a moment of hesitance you placed your hand on it.

You didn't feel anything happen. You had been expecting a shock, or maybe a surge of warmth, but it just felt like placing your hand on a leather book. Shiori immediately opened the book, black eyes analyzing the words that were apparently written down.

"[Y/n] [L/n]," she hummed, although the last name didn't sound familiar to you. Was that your birth name? She proceeded to repeat your birthday, height, weight, and blood type out loud, all of them correct, and you shifted in confusion.

"I'm sorry," you interrupted her, "I don't know my last name, and my birthday . . . I mean, I guess it makes sense if it'd be off since I was just found on Whale Island with no note or anything, but that means I'm almost 18 instead of just guessing to be around 16 or 17?"

Hanta choked on his tea immediately. "Wait, you're almost 18?! You act like the youngest in our class!"

Whipping your head towards him, you glowered at him. "What's that supposed to mean?!"

"Will you two shut up so we can carry on?" Neito asked irritably, immediately quieting the two of you down. Once you were done with your small fit of rage, Shiori continued to read out loud.

"Your birth parents are listed in here . . . Would you like to know?"

My birth parents . . .

There was no hesitation as you shook your head firmly. "No. They left me and I have no memories of them. As far as I'm concerned, Aunt Mito is my mom," you huffed. "I just want to know about Ai. Why are they inside of me?"

Perhaps you had imagined it, but Shiori's gaze seemed to soften for just a moment. ". . . Very well," she hummed. "I'll tell you after I get their information."

There was no other option, and so you impatiently waited as Shiori took everybody else's information, confirming their data out loud and throwing in a few other tidbits that left other members of your group feeling bashful.

"I do not have an inferiority complex to Class 1-A!" Neito shouted, Mina and Hanta chortling in the background.

"It's actually pretty obvious," the pink-skinned teen snickered, hiding behind a hand over her mouth. Meanwhile, Shiori just sat there with a deadpan look on her face, clearly not taking Neito's yelling to heart.

After giving the Class 1-B student a dismissive glance, she turned back to you, closing the book and allowing it to disappear.

"A deal is a deal," she hummed, and Neito quieted down, opting to just glare at the woman. "Although, where to start . . . I suppose the beginning will suffice."

Taking a deep breath, Shiori crossed her legs, and you all leaned forward, waiting for her to continue.

Your group didn't have to wait for long.

"The reason why you have an Ai lifeform in you . . . Is because you were also in the Dark Continent when it happened."

—·—·—

peep the reference to my chrollo fic, open book 💀 anyways, next up is mc's origin story! i'm really proud of how it turned out, i hope you all are prepared!

also, a side note . . . I THOUGHT THE 1-A STUDENTS WERE ALL 16-turning-17 but i was wrong;; please, for the sake of this story, consider them all around 16.  usually a 3 yr age gap isn't bad, but that young? yeah, oof, sorry but that makes me ✨hella✨ uncomfy.

for ref, here are the ages;

class 1-A + shinsou - 16 y/o

toga - ~17-18

leorio - 19

mc - ~17-18

kurapika - 17

anyways i woke up at 6 am to finish editing this for y'all so yw 💀🤚🏼

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.3K 2.9K 92
A boy who was meant to be seen as non ordinary. Who isn't one to reveal many things about himself due to having minimal trust in others. Who would do...
25.1K 915 35
"You know, optimistic fools die early but...I like your confidence so I'll let it slide." ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ A broken gi...
1.9K 102 12
"Some things were better lost than found." Which way do you go when right isn't right and there's nowhere left? Himura Miyako has always been told...
339K 8.4K 79
I love you Shoto.... So this night let's become inseparable.. Take me.. Two stupid Teenagers that made a stupid choice resulting in severe conseque...