Take Me Back To Paddington (S...

By KimEdwood

Bearing a famous resemblance of the modern Sherlock Holmes, Lisa Isaac never fails to uncover murder and suic... More

Author's Note
Copyright
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12 - The Death
Chapter 13 - The Reports
Chapter 14 - The Interrogation
Chapter 15 - The Push
Chapter 16 - The Search
Chapter 17 - The Talk
Chapter 18 - The God She Loves
Chapter 19 - The Post Mortem of Chae R.
Chapter 20 - The Dark Fog
Chapter 21 - The Psychic
Chapter 22 - The Psychic 2
Chapter 23 - The Believers
Chapter 24 - The Soul Seller
Chapter 25 - The Soul Buyer
Chapter 26 - The Warnings
Chapter 27 - The First Night
Chapter 28 - The First Night 2
Chapter 29 - The Chae
Chapter 30 - The Opposite
Chapter 31 - The Opposite 2
Chapter 32 - The Date
Chapter 33 - The Date 2
Chapter 34 - The Night Stroll
Chapter 35 - The Glass Wall
Chapter 36 - The Notebook
Chapter 37 - The Seeker
Chapter 38 - The Encounter
Chapter 39 - The Lost Souls
Chapter 40 - The Sweats
Chapter 41 - The Chae
Chapter 42 - The Soul Travellers
Chapter 43 - The Lisa
Chapter 44 - The Plan
Chapter 45 - The Cross ✝️
Chapter 46 - The Cross II ✝️
Chapter 47 - The Church
Chapter 48 - The Angel's Grace
Chapter 49 - The Encounter II
Chapter 50 - EPILOGUE
BOOK TWO (Coming Soon)
Chapter 1 - The Beginning
Chapter 2 - The Heating
Chapter 3 - The Decision
Chapter 4 - The News
Chapter 5 - The Drink
Chapter 6 - The Options
Chapter 7 - The Takeaway
Chapter 8 - The Last Customer
Chapter 9 - The Last Customer II
Chapter 10 - The Way Back Home
Chapter 11 - The Way Back Home II
Chapter 12 - The Father
Chapter 13 - The Father II
Chapter 14 - The Child
Chapter 15 - The Jealousy
Chapter 16 - The New Deal
Chapter 17 - The New Journey
Chapter 18 - The Approaches
Chapter 19 - The Message
Chapter 20 - The Call
Chapter 21 - The Lunch
Chapter 22: The Lunch II
Chapter 23 - The Chase
Chapter 24 - The Ride
Chapter 25 - The Confessions
Chapter 26 - The Conditions
Chapter 27 - The Friends
Chapter 28 - The Friends II
Chapter 29 - The Request
Chapter 30 - The Breakfast
Chapter 31 - The Envelope
Chapter 32 - The Temptation
Chapter 33 - The Friday Night
Chapter 34 - The Fall
Chapter 35 - The Doe Eyes
Chapter 36 - The Shower ✝️
Chapter 37 - The Awakening
Chapter 38 - The Answers
Chapter 39 - The Journey I
Chapter 40 - The Journey II
Chapter 41 - The Last Fight
EPILOGUE - The Angel's Grace II
END SCENE

Chapter 42 - The Deceit

622 70 47
By KimEdwood

Time. It froze again when the person Chae loved the most slipped out from life. If only the agony she was dwelled in didn't weigh her chest at that time, she would have screamed her lungs out, not caring if she couldn't breathe afterwards. It was a moment of silence; almost nothing went through her ears as she kept Lisa's lifeless body on her lap. And she didn't even have the strength to call for her girlfriend, knowing that Lisa was no longer there with her.

Lisa was gone; she died in the universe she was born in.

Sniffling, Chae gently ran her fingers down Lisa's eyelids to close them. It was getting harder for her to breathe when sobs and cries were fighting to escape from her mouth, yet she forced a smile on her lips as she stared at Lisa's face. Her fingers made their ways to the woman's hair, stroking them while her other arm pulled Lisa close.

"I'm so sorry-" Chae whispered, planting soft kisses at the side of Lisa's head. She would love to have one last hug with her girlfriend, hugging tight in her embrace for as long as she still had the time to. Because Lisa must have already crossed over to the afterlife, unlike her-a floating soul. She would stay afloat forever. She wouldn't get the same chance to hug Lisa again, but she was more concerned if her touches would hurt Lisa, so she treated the body as kind as she could.

"I love you..." She said with more tears leaving her eyes. "I love you so much, Lisa. Please don't forget me."

Sadness. Her emotion was filled with sadness until she didn't feel like travelling and knowing another Lisa again. She just wanted to stay there, having her one and only Lisa in her arms, and she applauded that woman. The Lisa she had known would have been disappointed; the detective would have called this a failure. But for Chae, it definitely was not. Lisa had done her best. She always did. Chae knew how tiring it must have been for Lisa, emotionally and physically. Both of them were exhausted in this journey, and Chae honestly thought Lisa deserved to rest. If many universes ago she had caught Lisa from falling off the balcony, fearing death and its vicious ways in separating her from Lisa, it was different for Chae this time.

She let Lisa go.

But as she was focused on her own feelings and thoughts, an unnatural wind alerted Chae to a menacing presence behind her. With a terrified gasp, she turned around to face Lucifer, who was in his true form; a massive, lean muscular body flanked by an enormous pair of black feathered wings.

Lucifer kept a straight face, standing in front of two human beings he hated the most and staring at Lisa's cold body before raising his eyes toward Chae.

"She was stubborn and stupid" He initiated a conversation with another soul he thought he would still have the chance to drag into his place. "I hope you are nothing like that, or...are you?"

Chae didn't respond, her eyes fixed on a demon she never expected to meet in person. She was still in shock, trying so hard to deal with the death of her girlfriend as if the first Lisa's wasn't dreadful enough for her to take in. But the hell creature in front of her had his own agenda that she wasn't aware of, considering his failure in having Lisa's soul in his grasp. That was because the soul of the detective was crossing over and going straight to Heaven.

That stupid Michael, Lucifer complained in his heart. Father really granted Michael's last prayer for a human but never forgive me.

Sighing, Lucifer came closer to Chae when he received nothing from her yet.

"I don't want to know what happened between you and Asmodeus. He just let you go when you were supposed to be with him," He continued, his gaze never left Chae's. "Back then you refused to go to hell. That's why you jumped, am I correct?"

Silence. That was all Chae could offer to Lucifer because her mind was empty. She couldn't think of anything at the moment except for the Lisa she had lost.

"What if I tell you..." He paused, bringing his eyes down at the detective's body. "That your Lisa is in hell right now? Would that change your mind?"

Chae's brown eyes sparkled as soon as she heard that, inviting a smirk on Lucifer's face when he knew he already got her in his trap.

"What?" Chae finally gave her response with the thought that she might be seeing Lisa again.

"Yes, that's right" He went harder in convincing the woman, moving his wings slightly. "She's mine, Ms Richards. I bought her soul, of course she's in hell right now."

"But-"

Lucifer immediately cut her sentence off.

"There's no but, you know how soul-selling works", He proposed confidently. "You would do anything to be together with her again, correct?"

"Anything," Chae blurted out. There was no thinking things through.

"Anything?" Lucifer asked, intrigued. He stepped toward her and lifted his left hand to her tear-stained face, trailing his fingers along the right side of her face. "Even if it means throwing yourself into hell?"

Chae looked away, dismissing Lucifer's touch in disgust as she glanced at Lisa's calm face again. She had hoped for peace, just like she used to have whenever she stared at Lisa sleeping. She had wished for tranquillity since she had a decision to make, thinking that she had already committed a big sin. She had desired in repose when she needed to ask herself if she was willing to make the same mistake twice. But none of them served her heart with anything at all, only misery burdening her chest when she knew Lisa wouldn't open her eyes anymore.

Lucifer, on the other hand, was getting anxious second by second, and he had no idea why. He was the greatest Lucifer; once a God's beloved. Even after he was cast out from Heaven, his name was still glorified as the most feared demon in hell and earth. But there he was, standing in front of a woman and waiting only for a yes from her. Finally, after hundreds of thousands of years, he felt this excitement toward a soul.

That was because Chae's soul had no voice for him to listen to, leaving him clueless about what she was thinking about or what she would do next. Thus, Lucifer had never been so desperate for a soul before-he really desired for Chae to be with him in hell.

"Think about this, Ms Richards" He spoke again. "Where would you go? Jumping in and out to see Lisa, who isn't even yours? Not the one you love?" Lucifer added. "Do you want to live like that for eternity? Even hell doesn't have a place for someone like you."

Chae squeezed her eyes shut, releasing one big sob as her arms tightened around her girlfriend's body the moment she heard those painful words from him. That was due to the truth. The truth hurts. It wasn't just about her losing Lisa, but Lucifer reminded her that she had nowhere else to go, no one to love and to be loved. She would no longer exist with her own Chae Richards' identity, forever standing behind another Chae's shadow.

"This isn't the life you would like", Lucifer continued to convince Chae, his scrawny fingers playing with her hair like how he was toying with her feelings at the time. "Surrender your soul to me, Ms Richards. I can take you to my place, where your real Lisa awaits."

Taking a long breath in, Chae looked up to him again.

"Alright", She agreed shortly.

"Yes?" Lucifer was delighted with the good news. "You want to give this life up and come with me?"

"Yes," Chae let out a small, bitter laugh. "If giving up this life could reunite me with my Lisa, then yes. I'd give it up a thousand times."

Her eyes followed Lucifer's gesture as he looked up to the ceiling, being indulged in seconds of silence. His wings slowly rose and fell while his smile grew bigger, staring at his home that Chae would be able to see soon.

"Granted!" He exclaimed in excitement, dragging his gaze down to his brand new soul he had wanted the most. "It's nice doing business with you, Ms Richards. Is that how humans thank each other?"

Lucifer's giggle didn't amuse Chae even a bit, let alone his unneeded sarcasm as if the Bible didn't say enough about how much he hated humans. He would make everything about humans a joke, degrading God's greatest creature like it was his nature to do so. But Chae couldn't care less about that matter. She just wanted to be taken to hell now. She claimed for the things she was promised about.

"Can we go now?" She went straightforwardly. "I want to see Lisa now."

"Absolutely!" He chuckled. "But I'm not always an asshole, if that's what your people call it?" Lucifer lifted his wings slightly, getting them ready to leave earth with a believer's soul that was now belonged to him. "And I can't lose to Asmodeus. I'd be embarrassed!"

Chae's heart flicked when she heard that name again, remembering how good she was treated by a demon that bought her soul before. Asmodeus, despite being a little bit harsh, he had been nothing but kind to her. Even on the night she was supposed to give herself to him, he had tried so hard to be gentle, knowing how scared Chae was. Reminiscing those times she had spent with Asmodeus, she invited new tears in her eyes.

"So...do you want to pray for forgiveness?" Lucifer asked in a mockery tone. "Do you have any last prayer before you'd be damned to hell?" His smirk went intense. "I'm not giving you any hope, though. You know God won't forgive you, and I know that too. You'd be amazed how many prayers of mine went unanswered."

He looked up at the ceiling again when he spoke, as though he could also see the heavens through it.

"God never forgives sinners like you-" His sentence stopped when the despair that had been a part of him ever since he left Heaven came knocking his feelings. "...sinners like me."

"I have one last prayer," Chae responded, receiving a sigh from him as he didn't say a word.

Then she closed her eyes.

Time. It might fly faster for some and slower for others, depending on urgency or easiness. For Chae Richards, time moved like it was delayed each time she prayed. Because her mother had reminded her not to rush in talking to God, so she always knew there was no need to hurry, hence all those hours she had spent every Sunday at the church.

But that same time was as fast as lightning for Lucifer when he began to feel a kind of pain he had never experienced before, stopping Chae in an instance when his spine-chilling scream echoed through the building. Her eyes popped open as she found him clutching his head in pain.

Lucifer's agonizing voice rose in pitch, his back arching as his pain aggravated. The aching forced him to withdraw himself away, and right before Chae's eyes, she was witnessing the deep black of his wings slowly changing their colour-feather by feather.

"What did you pray for?!" Lucifer screamed, his words almost lost in his groans.

Disbelief crept into his eyes as Chae stuttered to answer him.

"I-I prayed for you,"

"But who prays for Satans? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?"-Mark Twain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67K 6.2K 37
❝ 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐢𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐦𝐮𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫 ❞ Finding a dead body in the bathroom is clearly not the best way to celebrate a weddin...
19.9K 1.5K 37
It takes a lot to heal a broken heart, but it takes a lot more to trust that it won't be broken again. Jennie's parents died in an accident 14 years...
9.7K 218 25
~DARK ROMANCE~ The first time I saw her, she was trembling with fear. She was terrified of me, but now that I've found her, there's no way I'm lettin...
41.8K 1.2K 63
Lisa hated her. Everything about her. Fucking Miss Perfect. Rich parents, pretty face, good grades and by the way also the schools student representa...