GLORY OR VALHALLA | BJORN IRO...

By arios2004

In which after the numerous losses she was forced to experience, Ylva the Dread begins to lose herself, slowi... More

GLORY OR VALHALLA
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18

8

659 22 8
By arios2004

GLORY OR VALHALLA
   — 8. Valhalla Can Wait

  At where his father had set up camp the day after their defeat at the hands of King Olaf, Rorik stood near his father. He sighed, his arms crossed as he watched his father stare into the distance. "We're surrounded," Bjorn spoke up after a moment of silence, "Let's acquit ourselves well. I don't intend to miss out on Valhalla."

"Bjorn!" A man suddenly called out as he and others dragged a man over, "We found him in the camp. He says he needs to speak to you."

Rorik rolled his eyes, recognizing the man to be one of the ones who had swum away like a coward when the attack on them began in the water.

"What is the matter?" Rorik asked the man in an angered tone as he moved toward them, "Haven't you betrayed us enough, coward?"

"I have a message from King Olaf," The man informed Bjorn in a weak tone, "He won't attack if you agree to meet him."

Having had enough, Rorik stepped forward, beginning to unsheathe his ax.

The man sighed, turning to give him a stern look. "He also said you can forget about all that, if you kill me."

Bjorn sighed. He turned, exchanging a look with his son, who was watching him closely.

Bjorn had noticed Rorik doing it ever since they left for the journey together. He knew Rorik was studying him, picking out the differences between his way of dealing with things and Ylva's. It was obvious he was doing so. Many others did the same.

He knew the look on Rorik's face, too. He was wondering if his father would actually obey the man and let him get away with betraying them. Ylva wouldn't, that was for sure.

Ylva would refuse to heed Olaf's command. She'd most likely take the man's head and send it to Olaf as a way to say she would not be ruled by anyone, especially a man such as him. She'd claim if Olaf wanted to make orders, he'd have to do it himself instead of sending weak men such as the man standing before him to do all the dirty work for him.

That was the type of ruler Ylva was. It made her different than many who ruled in that day in age. She didn't send people to do her dirty work. She did it herself. She got her hands dirty.

It was why many people loved her so much. She did everything herself. She wasn't the type to sit back and let everything be done for her. She showed the people that she was just like them, unlike people like Ivar who wanted people to treat him as though she were a god.

It made her like Ragnar. People adored her and some even viewed her to be like a goddess and great hero to her people, but she was never that and she knew it. She knew she was an ordinary woman and made sure people were reminded of that.

Turning back to the man standing before him, Bjorn began to glare. He stepped toward and before the man could react, Bjorn had headbutted him in the face.

Rorik's eyes widened at first before he began to smile, amused by the sight. He watched as his father cracked his neck, just before glaring down at the man lying at his feet.

"Tell King Olaf I agree, but I too have a condition. I want to see with my own eyes that King Harald is still alive," He demanded in a stern tone, causing Rorik to smile slightly.

He watched as the man was lifted from the ground, just before he was dragged away.

"Valhalla can wait," Bjorn announced, turning to exchange a look with his son before he walked away.

______

At Lagertha's farm, Gyda stood in her grandmother's home alongside Lagertha and the women who had traveled there just days before when their own village was attacked.

"As you all must know, there is a group of bandits who are attacking the villages around here. They might attack us, so we should be prepared," Lagertha announced to the group in a loud tone, "Some of you were shield-maidens. You don't forget how to fight. Probably we fought together before the walls of Paris, if you can still remember?"

"Of course, Lagertha," One of the women replied as she smiled at the thought.

"You must still have your shields and your weapons stored somewhere. Now, we all have to fight again. The women more than the men," Lagertha continued to explain and Gyda smiled at the thought, "You boys, you could be look-outs. You can tell us when the bandits are around. And you girls, you look after the animals. Yes?"

"Yes, Lagertha," The girls replied in unison alongside Thyra, who was smiling widely.

"You men. You are not so old," She replied, glancing over at the elderly men who sat at another part of the room, "You can still be useful, can't you?"

"Yes, we can," One of the men responded as the women laughed in amusement.

"I need you to build better protection for our stores. Think of our stores as our gold. We can't live without it, so we must defend it with our lives," Lagertha continued on and everyone murmured in agreement, "Also, I want everyone to go into the woods, and cut suitable staves for making bows and arrows. But do all these things quickly. There isn't much time."

"Lagertha, it doesn't matter what we do," A woman spoke up and shook her head, "We can't beat the bandits. You know that. We will all die."

"You're right. We will die," A voice suddenly spoke up, causing the group to turn to see it was Gyda, "But it doesn't have to be when the bandits attack us unless we make it so."

Lagertha smiled as she walked over to Gyda, wrapping an arm around the girl.

_____

Later that day, Gyda walked over to where Thyra and Erik sat together, making arrow tips for the arrows they were in charge of making. She smiled at the sight, knowing their mother had been the one who had taught them how to do so.

She stopped behind her two youngest siblings and wrapped her arms around them. "How is it going?" She asked and both children nodded.

"Quite well," Thyra answered in a calm tone, "Far better than the other children. They don't know what they're doing."

"Well, not all of them have experience with making arrow tips as the two of you are," Gyda reminded them and Erik lifted his head to give his sister a curious look.

"Will the bandits attack soon?" Erik asked, a curious look on his face.

"Grandmother says they might not attack at all," Gyda answered and Thyra nodded in understanding, "In any case, you mustn't be afraid. Firstly, because we will all look after you. And secondly, because you are Viking, my dear brother. We are the son and daughters of two of the greatest warriors who ever walked this land."

"I'm not afraid!" Erik exclaimed a large smile on his face, "If they attack, I want to make Mother and Father proud of me. Just as Freya did when she sacrificed herself for this family."

Gyda chuckled, leaning down to kiss her brother on his head. "I am already proud of you, as are Grandmother Lagertha and Mother and Father. But you are only twelve. You cannot fight."

"Freya fought at my age," Erik reminded her, causing Gyda's smile to fade, "She won back Ashton for Mother at my age."

"Well, you are not Freya and you don't want to be," Gyda argued sternly, causing Thyra and Erik to exchange an uneasy look with each other, "Freya turned mad. You don't want the same now, do you?"

Sighing, Erik looked back at Gyda and shook his head.

"And other than that, you and Thyra do not have the training the rest of us had growing up," Gyda reminded him, feeling almost uneasy.

"I still know some," Erik argued and Gyda sighed in defeat.

"But not enough, dear Erik. You mustn't fight," She demanded in a stern tone, "You must stay with Thyra and Hali and Asa. Do you understand?"

Erik sighed, hesitantly nodding his head. He watched as Gyda walked away, only to turn to see Thyra staring at him. "What?"

"You're going to fight, anyway, aren't you?" She asked and Erik fell silent, "Listen to Gyda. Do not fight. You will die."

"I won't die," Erik complained, letting out a large scoff.

"You will die. Your idiotic bravery will blind you and you will die," Thyra snapped at him coldly, "We are the Prince and Princess of both Kattegat and Ashton. We are but children. Either way, we don't have to fight. We don't have to risk our lives. We have other people here to do it for us. Why risk your life when you don't have to?"

"I want to make Mother and Father proud," Erik declared and Thyra scoffed loudly.

"They won't be proud when you are dead. They will be sad. And Gyda will be blamed because she was the one who insisted on us being here," Thyra reminded him in a calm tone. She sighed, shaking her head, "Do not fight. Not unless you want to die."

With that, she walked away and Erik sighed in defeat.

_____

  In Kattegat, Ylva walked with Ubbe and Halig through the town, searching for Hvitserk. They soon found their way to the establishment Hvitserk was said to be in.

Halig turned, exchanging an uneasy look with both his Uncle and his mother before he led them inside. He sighed, covering his nose to protect himself from the smell.

Her eyes suddenly locking on Hvitserk, Ylva gasped and rushed over to the boy. She knelt before him, sighing as she cupped his face in her hands. "Hvitserk? Hvitserk! Get up!" She insisted as she grabbed his hands, "Get up! Now! Get up. Please."

"Out!" Ubbe shouted at some of the other addicts around him, "Out! Move!"

Ylva attempted to pull Hvitserk up and off the ground but it was no use. He refused. She sighed, giving up as she decided to just sit beside him on the floor.

"Hello, Hvitserk," Ubbe greeted his brother in a calm tone, "I wanted to see you. I have some news for you."

"News?" Hvitserk asked, his eyes lighting up as he looked around, "What news?"

"Good news," Ubbe informed him, smiling slightly, "I want to give you some responsibility. I don't think our family has ever truly recognized your talents."

"Really?" Hvitserk asked softly and Ylva couldn't help but feel bad for him.

"Yes, you know very well," Ubbe answered and Hvitserk looked as though he was about to cry.

"So..." Ubbe trailed off as he crouched down in front of Hvitserk, "Ylva and I want you to lead a trade delegation to the East. You will travel along the ancient Silk Road, making trade deals and contacts all the way."

"I hope you agree to this, Hvitserk," Halig spoke up, causing Hvitserk to look at the boy, "We all do. We're trying to help you."

"I know, I know. I'll get better," Hvitserk assured them and with the help of Ylva, he was able to get off the ground, "I'll get better."

Hvitserk turned, looking directly at Ylva as he looked as though he was about to cry. "I won't disappoint you, Ylva. I won't disappoint either of you," He assured them, glancing between Ylva and Ubbe, the people he seemed to love the most in the family.

He began to cry as he stared at Ylva, who was smiling at him sadly. He wept and without hesitation, he rushed forward. He wrapped his arms around Ylva, who grunted as their chests
collided before she began to hug him back.

Hvitserk wept as he hugged Ylva. "Thank you. Thank you, Ylva," He told her, sobbing as he did so.

Sighing, Ylva turned and exchanged a look with Ubbe, who was frowning at Hvitserk's actions toward her. 

Since when did they get so close? He couldn't remember them being that close since Hvitserk was just a child and Ylva was barely an adult.

____

    As the days passed, Ylva had ordered for Hvitserk to be locked in his cabin to come down from his high on drugs and get all of it out of his system. She knew if he didn't, he'd never be able to go on the journey she and Ubbe were to send him on.

Wanting to check on him, Ylva found herself going to visit Hvitserk. She stood outside his cabin, watching through the cracks as he vomited severely. He gasped and groaned loudly, continuing to throw up everything he had consumed in the days prior.

He stood up and rushed over to the door, his eyes locking on Ylva. "Let me out!" He shouted out angrily and Ylva watched him with a saddened look on her face, "Let me out! Let me out!"

Calming down, Hvitserk sighed and gave Ylva a pleading look. "Please. Ylva. Please. Please. Ylva, I beg of you," He begged her and Ylva sighed, shaking her head.

Hvitserk groaned and dropped to the ground, beginning to repeatedly bang his hands on the ground. He began to weep and Ylva sighed, walking away without another word said.

_____

The following day, at the docks, Ylva stood with Halig, watching as the men going on the journey to the silk road boarded the ships.

Frowning when he saw them without Hvitserk, Ubbe walked over to the mother-son duo. "Where is Hvitserk?" He asked and Ylva looked away, avoiding eye contact. He sighed at her actions and turned to Halig, "Then you better go find him. Go and find him!"

Halig rolled his eyes at Ubbe's demands and walked away with two men.

"I'll join them," Ylva offered, and just as she was about to walk away, Ubbe grabbed her by the arm. She turned to him, an aggravated look on her face, "What?"

"You can't keep defending him," He reminded her and Ylva rolled her eyes at him, "You can't keep protecting him and defending him every time he makes a mistake. He will not get better that way. You can't keep covering for him. It is what you did with Freya and how did that end up?"

The moment he mentioned Freya, Ylva turned to Ubbe and looked at him with an expression that made Ubbe regret what he had said.

"You have no right to question me," She argued in a low, threatening tone as she moved toward him, "I am older than you, Ubbe, and your queen. My husband's brother or not, mention Freya to me like that and I'll make sure you regret it."

Scoffing loudly, Ylva shot Ubbe a hateful glare before walking away. It wasn't long before she arrived at the drug house she, Halig, and Ubbe had found Hvitserk in just days prior.

Three men accompanied her as she walked into the establishment. It wasn't long before she found Hvitserk and when she did, she walked over to him with a saddened look on her face.

She knelt before him, tearing up as she cupped his face in her hands. "Why?" She asked him softly, looking heartbroken, "Why must you do this, huh? Why must you ruin yourself like this?"

Hvitserk didn't answer and Ylva sighed, moving away from him. She stood up and glanced between the two warriors who stood with her. "Bring him to the Great Hall. Ubbe will be waiting for him," She ordered in a stern tone before leaving without another word said.

____

   It wasn't long before Hvitserk was dragged into the Great Hall and over to Ubbe. Hvitserk stumbled and just as he steadied himself, Ubbe roughly grabbed him by the chin.

"Why, Hvitserk? Why?" Ubbe asked him in a low tone and Hvitserk was unable to form any words. He sighed, leaning closer to his brother, "I tried to give you a chance."

Scoffing, Ubbe pulled away from Hvitserk and turned, only to find Gunnhild standing there. "I don't think he meant to disappoint you. He can't help it," Gunnhild complained and Ubbe raised his finger at her before turning to the others in the room.

"You will have to leave without him. Appoint a leader amongst yourselves. Remember that your mission is vital. May the gods speed you along the Silk Road," He explained, shaking hands with one of the men before they walked off.

"No, no!" Hvitserk exclaimed, his eyes widening in alarm when he saw the men leaving without him. He attempted to grab one of the men's arms, only to be shoved to the ground.

Ylva sighed when Ubbe glaring at Hvitserk and walked over to him. "Ubbe, don't be too hard on him," She demanded, a cold look on his face, "Understand what he's going through. He lost the woman he loved and the child he never got to meet before Ivar killed him. He has every right to feel this way and if you disagree, then you are not the person I thought you were."

Ubbe sighed and nodded at Ylva's words before walking over to Hvitserk.

"I tried, but I can't. I can't," Hvitserk confessed, a shameful look on his face, "Can't you see that? I tried, and I can't."

Ubbe crouched down next to Hvitserk, grabbing him by the chin. "I love you, brother."

"And you," Hvitserk quickly answered and Ylva sighed as she exchanged a look with Halig.

"I always have and always will," He replied, causing Hvitserk to nod, "But you have just betrayed me for the second time in your life," He explained and Hvitserk began to cry, "Look at you. Look at you."

Hvitserk sadly nodded, only to have Ubbe roughly grab him by his clothes and pull him off the ground. "Get up! Stand up!" He shouted angrily.

"I'm sorry, Ubbe. I'm sorry," Hvitserk replied, a terrified look on his face.

"No. It's too late," Ubbe argued, and Hvitserk began to cry, "I don't want to see you anymore. And I have nothing left to say to you."

Ubbe pushed Hvitserk away and Ylva sighed, watching as Hvitserk was dragged out of the great hall.

"You are cruel for that," Ylva snapped at Ubbe, who rolled his eyes as he turned to face her, "He now thinks he has no one left."

"He doesn't have anyone left," Ubbe complained and Ylva moved toward Ubbe before roughly shoving him back.

"He has me," She argued in a low, threatening tone, "He has Halig, too. But now, he thinks he is all alone and he is bound to do something stupid now. If he wasn't dependent on drugs before, he will be now. He'll think it's all he has left now and it's all your fault."

Ylva scoffed, glaring at Ubbe hatefully before storming off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 34.1K 84
Vikings imagines from season 1-4, mostly imagines with the sons of Ragnar. *Under edit* [book 1 of 2] highest rank in Fanfiction #223 ivarhoegh © 2017
39.9K 1.2K 31
In which ten years have passed since the Second Siege of Paris and everything has changed for Ylva and Bjorn Ironside. Upon the sudden arrival of Rag...
3.2K 33 16
(*COMPLETED*)This is a remake of my fan fiction of the television show 'Vikings'. It mainly focuses on Runå - The Daughter of Floki and Helga. Runå g...
5.8K 173 13
Once she was no one, unnamed and unloved, lost in the sea of Christianity. But now, she is found and she has been surrounded by something akin to fam...