ONE DARK QUEEN ❖ (A Three Dar...

By PheonixGuardian

THREE DARK QUEENS are born in a glen SWEET LITTLE TRIPLETS will never be friends THREE DARK WITCHES all fair... More

Beginning Note
CHAPTER ONE: UMBRA
CHAPTER TWO: ROLANTH
CHAPTER THREE: PRYNN
CHAPTER FOUR: BASTIAN CITY
CHAPTER FIVE: UMBRA
CHAPTER SIX: THE SEA
CHAPTER SEVEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER EIGHT: UMBRA
CHAPTER NINE: SAND HARBOUR
CHAPTER TEN: PRYNN FOREST
CHAPTER ELEVEN: LACTON SQUARE
CHAPTER TWELVE: ROLANTH
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTEEN: MOORGATE PARK
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: UMBRA
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: INDRID DOWN TEMPLE
CHAPTER NINETEEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY: UMBRA
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: ROLANTH
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: ONDINA'S COVE
CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: ONDINA'S COVE
CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: SHANNON'S BLACKWAY
CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: THE RADURON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY: THE ARRON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY ONE: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY TWO: THE WESTWOOD ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY THREE: THE WESTWOOD ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR: THE RADURON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTEE THIRTY FIVE: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY SIX: THE ARRON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTY THIRTY SEVEN: THE RADURON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT: THE DISEMBARKING
CHAPTER THIRTY NINE: INNISFUIL VALLEY
CHAPTER FOURTY: QUEEN NALANI'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY ONE: THE FIRE DOME
CHAPTER FOURTY TWO: QUEEN ARWEN'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY THREE: THE QUICKENING
CHAPTER FOURTY FOUR: QUEEN CARINA'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY FIVE: QUEEN CARINA'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY SIX: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER FOURTY SEVEN: UMBRA
CHAPTER FOURTY EIGHT: ROLANTH
CHAPTER FOURTY NINE: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTY TWO: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY THREE: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTY FOUR: ROLANTH
CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY SIX: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN: INNISFUIL VALLEY
BEFORE
CHAPTER FIFTY EIGHT: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY NINE: UMBRA
CHAPTER SIXTY: THE BLACK COTTAGE
CHAPTER SIXTY ONE: PRYNN
CHAPTER SIXTY TWO: UMBRA
THE BIRTH
AUTHORS NOTE
CHAPTER SIXTY THREE: THE BLACK COTTAGE
CHAPTER SIXTY FOUR: PRYNN
CHAPTER SIXTY FIVE: UMBRA
CHAPTER SIXTY SIX: ROLANTH

CHAPTER FIFTY ONE: ROLANTH

51 2 19
By PheonixGuardian

Beltane was several nights ago but today for the first time since her return to Rolanth Nalani meets up with her friends. Not just acquaintances. But friends. A strange word for queens. Royals don't have many friends, not genuine ones. Usually most who flock them are social climbers and Nalani needs a break from Vivianne's incessant lectures about the Ascension and today she will focus on something other than murder and ascending to the throne.

Friends. Nalani is lucky in that department, she suspects her sisters are not so fortunate. How could they be with the family's in which they were brought up by. But no use worrying about those that she will kill. They mean little to her, they may share blood but they are rivals, that's just how it is.

It doesn't bother her, the notion of killing - perhaps that is callous but perhaps it is simply in her queensblood. Generations hundreds of queens have killed to secure their reigns. She will do the same as she knows it is her duty and her birthright; she knows the island will be best guarded in her hands compared to the others. It is simply the way things are. Tradition keeps society afloat.

The poisoners cannot be allowed to rise again so soon after their demotion and the shadows taking control would be too unpredictable, what do they know about Fennbirn? They have been living in complete solitude for centuries, they simply aren't suited to ruling the whole of the island, completely out of the loop and they know nothing about the culture of the people with other gifts.

Nalani doesn't just want to survive; she wants the throne and the power to rule her nation. And she has a strong chance especially with the support of many, bolstering her claim as heir. Politics and death. The Fennbirn ways. It is all a game really, as much of a performance as her inferno at the Quickening.

She walks with Hestia today, to a meadow where she invited everyone to gather. At first she thought of meeting by Starfall Lake but the memories of Finn and his death came up in her mind and she decided it is best to avoid Starfall Lake for now. She still feels guilt for his death, most do not survive loving a queen but what chance did he truly have in the first place?

"Can you believe the audacity of that suitor," Nalani remarks, speaking again about Demetri Valeska the suitor who turned up to her celebrations in Moorgate Park a day ago.

Hestia turns to her, a smirk on her face, "I still can't believe a suitor would have the nerve to disobey the rules, usually they're all scared shitless from the rumours surrounding the island, they think we're witches."

Well they did have an ancient sacrificial tradition and gifts provided by a divine entity. But gifts are not considered magic here. Gifts and low magic are two different things, the latter has a price and takes its toll. Witches indeed.

Nalani sorts, shaking her head, "fools," she remarks, "I don't think they believe that anymore though not since the island rejoined the rest of the world after the cursed cycle vanquished the mist."

The cursed cycle. Or the blessed. Perhaps the most famous triplet cycle in Fennbirn's history. Mirabella Mistbane, Katharine the Undead and Arsinoe the White Handed. None of their names have been forgotten. They have been whispered to the ears of the island's children of Halia's generation, Nalani's own generation and will be whispered for centuries to come.

They are lucky in a way. All three of them remembered as legends; in most triplet cycles only one queen's name is remembered and carried through the steady march of time.

"I wonder how many suitors will seek to court you," Hestia says, thinking on Nalani's description of Demetri, "Demetri definitely will and by the sounds of it, he's rather handsome and charming."

Nalani shoots her a glare, "charming is one word for it," she says drily, "but he doesn't compare to Rowan."

Hestia rolls her eyes, "I love my cousin and I love you, I want the best for you both but you can't just shut out the notion of being courted by the suitors."

"Yes I can," Nalani says stubbornly, "no one decides what I want or who I want other than me."

"I'm only saying that I don't want you to get hurt," Hestia explains calmly as Nalani's scowl depend, "Rowan cannot be your king consort."

"I am well aware of that thank you," Nalani says with a glint in her eyes.

"It's not fair that you have to make so many sacrifices as a queen queen but we both know you cannot escape the island or the Goddess' reach," Hestia remarks, sounding too pious for Nalani's liking even though she knows Hestia is trying to help her. But it just reinforces the gravity of her own situation. No escape for Nalani. Not ever.

"Well soon I will be the queen and no one will be able to escape from my reach," Nalani says, her familiar smirk returning, "I'm sure I will be able to bewitch my future king consort and balance both him and my private life, which Rowan is not leaving anytime soon."

Hestia rolls her eyes and returns her smile, "you know damn well your king consort will be wrapped around your little finger in no time."

Nalani inclines her head, "well the Goddess gave me both good looks and good charm for a reason, it would be a shame for it to go to waste."

"You might want to save that charm for the rest of our friends, they're all still angsty and upset from the events at Beltane," Hestia says and then her face darkens as they approach the rest and Nalani reluctantly follows, she isn't very good at dealing with people when they're upset. Matters of the heart are far more difficult than matters of state.

Her friends who have gathered here today though may help her to rule one day but for now now is a more causal gathering. With the time they have left free of the full weight of responsibilities.

Nimue. Rowan. And Hestia obviously. Nalani did invite Morrigan but the warrior is away with her mother for some sort of errand. In Prynn apparently. And Kali of course is working. Shame, Nalani enjoys her banter with the warrior.

It hasn't always been easy but Nalani is glad to have these people around her, they are slowly becoming her inner circle. It used to be just her and Hestia, and Kali at times. Now she has Rowan again and new people. People she feels like she can trust. Good possible additions to her Black Council, a queen can always use good counsel.

It's a beautiful day, with the sun painting the blue sky and the meadow they all sit in, daisies and daffodils everywhere as is the trend with the spring season - flowers of hope bathing under sunlights, ironic how everyone's moods are dour. Perhaps the Goddess is mocking her.

Nalani may be strong but she cannot lower the sun out of the sky, even if fire is her affinity. Though she could certainly try. They would have to crown her then. She would not simply be the Fire Queen she would be a Sun Goddess, a true "Light-Bringer".

"You did well at the Quickening Lani I'm proud, the suitors were eating it all up," Hestia says to her friend with a wink who smiles back at her.

She bows her head in thanks, "my performance went well, I had the island in the palm of my hand and the suitors were certainly dazzled, but who wouldn't be" she says with a sly glance at Rowan but then her expression darkens slightly, "but I doubt the island's people will think of me, they will likely still be talking about the assassination attempt, it's unheard of for a commoner to try and kill a queen at Beltane of all places, it's certainly upstaged me."

She says the last bit with a little bitterness but she is irritated. First she gets bombarded by a hoard of mysterious and elusive dead queens who spoke in riddles, all whilst her performance was a roaring success. And then a bloody assassin. Just her luck.

The assassin had clearly singled out Queen Carina, for she was the last to perform. But why her? Why not Queen Arwen or Queen Nalani? It puzzles her. As does most things these days.

"Yes it is horrible business with that botched Gave Noir and with Kaiden and his sisters," Hestia says with sympathy, more towards Rowan and Nimue this time, her dark brown curls are in a bun today, a green headband around her head. The season of spring and the vibrant greens suits her brown skin, as does every colour.

Nalani is a little surprised though that Hestia knows such poisoner terms like Gave Noir but her friend used to fool around with that Henri Renard boy, perhaps he taught her more useful information. Perhaps she can use it against Carina somehow.

It is their first opportunity to all properly discuss what happened at Beltane. It has unsettled everyone, even though Nalani wasn't close to Kaiden personally she still feels great sympathy for him. For him alone as the girl had to die. No one survives trying to kill a queen. No one should expect queens of course. Only queens may kill queens as is the island's way.

Nalani knows what it feels like in terms of the assassination attempt though, from the time she was almost poisoned in Moorgate Park at the market. Nalani only regrets she couldn't slit the poisoner assassin's throat herself. But at least Carina got to deal with her assassin at her own hand. It is only just.

Queens must cut down any threat to their lives, reigns and sovereignty, no matter how big or small the threat is. Nothing can be allowed to uproot the stability or the figureheads in the monarchy. Nalani will learn that better once she is Queen Crowned. People will learn not to cross her.

Rowan agrees, "I'll never forget the look in his eyes at Kaya's funeral."

Nalani leans into him at that, just a sign that she is here for him. She has never seen such a haunted look in his eyes as he talks about it all. Even as he speaks the traitors name which Nalani does not really approve of.

She has no real ties to the Milones and with the family's history, she would rather distance herself and her reputation from them. Especially with her current popularity, it may fade unless Nalani continues to be perfect and above reproach, she cannot afford to misstep, not if she plans to not only win but flourish. A queen people will remember long after the dust has settled on her bones on whatever mainland country she retired to with her king consort.

Her legacy is vitally important to her. It is not enough to just win the Ascension, she needs to be remembered. Nalani knows she is vain in that way but she has a queenly pride that she refuses to be shamed for and plenty of ambition, the fiery determination drives her though; makes her feel alive and as if she burns brightly in a world determined to suffocate her flame.

But for now Nalani knows it is not the time to try and stop her friends from speaking on it, not when some of them knew that girl personally and of course she was the sister of Kaiden. If anything Nalani seems sympathy towards him. She knew him briefly, not as much as the others, but she liked him. He was free spirited, kind and charming.

"I wish he'd let me come with him back to Wolf Spring," Nimue says in frustration, looking so tired and drained, "he needs to know that we're all here for him, I don't give a damn about his family name or what people think."

Nalani smiles faintly. She admires that about Nimue. She is fiercely loyal, especially to those she loves. A very admirable trait. If this alliance continues then Nalani may one day appoint her to the Black Council or perhaps the Queensguard - Nalani needs people she can trust.

And though the naturalist may not have admitted it openly. Everyone knows Nimue loves Kaiden and vice versa. Nalani likes them together honestly, they pair well but it's a pity Kaiden has been dragged away and is suffering so much after the events of Beltane. The island can be cruel. Kaiden certainly doesn't deserve to suffer.

"He knows how much you care about him Nimue don't worry," Nalani says, "but he needs space now, with everything that he's enduring with his sister's banishment to the temple and of course his other sister's death and her crimes."

Nimue blinks at that, as if she wants to snap but then rethinks as she realises Nalani speaks the truth. Whether she wants to hear it or not. But Nimue had met Kaya and liked her, even with her crimes it doesn't seem right to condemn the dead Milone.

Perhaps that makes Nimue a little insane but so be it. But even Nimue knows Kaya could have never lived after that incident. Kaya was a supporter of Queen Nalani as most naturalists are these days but she was no assassin, only a girl.

"I'm almost surprised poor Lucie chose the temple over a true banishment to the mainland, the priestesses will treat her as an outcast for her familiar murdering one of their own and I remember Kaiden telling me they had friends over there, in Centra I think, who would surely take her in," Nimue says, stopping her pacing and sitting down on the grass, Nox by her side trying to comfort her.

"How exactly do the Milones have friends from the mainland?" Hestia questions, puzzled and everyone else turns to Nimue for elaboration. It's a valid question. The Milones aren't particularly known for their venturing. But more have started to travel since the island's mist was vanquished in the Queens War and Fennbirn rejoined the world again, becoming fiction to fact once again in the eyes of the various mainland countries. Salkades, Centra, Valostra, Bevellet and the like - all much bigger than the island but none had gifts like Fennbirn has.

"Well Kaiden told me that Gwyneth and her husband, Drew, travelled a lot in their youth so it's natural that they made friends along the way," Nimue explains, "they used to travel so much before settling down that even Kaiden was born there on the mainland."

Something about that instantly bugs Nalani, as if a switch had suddenly turned in her head. Something important. But she cannot think of it for a moment until something snaps again.

"Wait what?" Nalani asks, her attention instantly snapping to Nimue at her words.

She looks taken aback at the tone but doesn't break her usual casual nature,

"Kaiden isn't technically an islander, he may be a Milone but he was born on the mainland and even grew up there for a few years," Nimue says, "Gwyneth and Drew only settled permanently on the island later on to have the rest of the girls."

It only takes a few moments for everything to click in her head as Nalani's eyes widen in realisation, her eyes naturally darting to the mark on her hand. The eye emblem that she got at the Quickening. If Kaiden wasn't born on the island could he be considered 'not of the island' in correlation to that dead Blue Queen's words. Surely not. That couldn't possibly mean what Nalani suspects.

The prophecy. Goddess no. At first she theorised that it may be Klaude and Arwen, it seemed the most logical conclusion but this.

Kaiden and Nimue. They fit this prophecy of dead queens as well. Nimue is a very strong naturalist but Nalani is unsure of how she may possibly bring the fall of the island. Perhaps Nalani interpreted the dead queens' messages wrong. She is praying she is wrong.

She never considered this possibility how could she be so stupid.

If Nalani is right then that means one thing.

That Kaiden will die and with that, Nimue will somehow cause destruction to the island and everyone's fates will be at stake.

Nalani thinks hard, remembering what they told her. And she realises she cannot stay in Rolanth for much longer. She needs answers. She must travel to the Black Cottage to get them.

To talk to the woman who raised her for six years, Hecate Murtra, the sight gifted midwife.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103 4 66
Nocturna has taken over the reign of all evil, still with the secret mission to assist her father, mass killer Luca Bennet. Now all grown, Kian, Mahi...
Found Again By IrisClark

General Fiction

253K 6.2K 59
Juliane, Jayin, Jorden triplets were raised by their abusive drug-addicted mom Erica. All three have a traumatic past that they don't willing share...
Siblings By Hjc0703

Teen Fiction

554K 15.4K 54
[Completed] There's three of us. Triplets. We all have each other's backs. There's me, Maeve. The one with red eyes. People call me a murder. S...
35K 3.5K 126
In a world of magic and myth, everybody's got a secret or two. An immortal sorcerer, Merlin, pretends to be a child to become Harry Potter's secret...