Entice Me

Od MelToye

Miranda is the top recruitment consultant for Entice Consultancy, working long hours to achieve great results... Více

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-One

28 1 0
Od MelToye

Today was Miranda’s court date. Miranda wore her favourite suit, which had not been worn since her last day at Entice Consultancy. It seemed when life changed directions so did the style of clothing. Grant wore a stylish suit with a blue striped tie, which coordinated with Miranda’s blue blouse. He surprised Miranda with his great fashion taste. Then again, he was French.

Even though Miranda was innocent, she was still nervous. She wondered the type of questions that would be asked, and the thought of not remembering a specific detail.

They arrived to a horde of media that waited at the front of the court house. Grant parked around the side of the building. As they hopped out of the car, the media swam towards them. Maxwell ran over yelling, “Do not say anything.” Grant pulled Miranda in closer.

All the commotion terrified Miranda. Microphones were pushed into her face, hundreds of camera’s flashed, blurring her vision. Miranda was nearly blind and bruised by the time she reached the steps. Grant opened the door and Miranda ran in, with the media frenzy forced to stay outside.

A skinny tall man greeted Miranda in the hallway and asked her to follow him. Grant let go of her hand. Miranda felt she was suddenly deceased and had to follow the angel of death to face God. No one could help her or provide support; it was just Miranda versus God. She was in way too deep. She wanted to run but her feet automatically trudged forward into the crowded court room.

All of Entice Consultancy ex-employees where sitting on the opposite side of the room. Miranda trembled to think they could all be against her. Grant was two rows behind and it was a neck sore to look at him. Her only comfort she could not see. Miranda felt sick, her stomach performed belly flops. She pinched herself in the hope it was all a dream. No luck, this was real. Miranda took a deep breath and closed her eyes. “All rise,” the skinny tall man said in a surprisingly deep voice. Everyone stood.

A judge walked in and sat down, then everyone followed suit. “Miranda Burke, you are here today to testify the details of what you witnessed on the day of the robbery at Entice Consultancy. Please come to the stand.” Miranda approached the stand timidly as she faced her previous colleagues. Miranda read out her statement and detailed the events of the horrid day that would always be remembered. Nobody interrupted Miranda as she spoke. “Thank you Miranda,” the judge said as she concluded.

A well-dressed man that sat at the table across from Miranda stood up. “Your honour, may I ask the witness some questions?” The judge motioned him to approach. “Miranda, you said when you approached the scene of the robbery you were the first person onto the scene.”

“That’s correct,” Miranda said with confidence.

“Miranda, how can you prove to the court that you did not plant those files to be stolen?

“I…”

He quickly interrupted, “Miranda, don’t you think it’s ironic that robbers were stealing when the sun was shining, especially in an industry where staff begin work at an early hour?”

“Yes.” Butterflies began to form in her stomach.

“Don’t you think it’s interesting that you met with Jim in private, when he cancelled lunch with his own wife?”

“I didn’t know,” Miranda trailed off.

He rushed on to build towards something greater. “Miranda, you were the last person to speak with Jim. What did you say to Jim that made him take his own life?” Miranda’s eyes felt like they jumped out of their eye sockets at the allegation.

“Rephrase the question,” the judge interrupted. 

“Sorry your honour. Miranda, did you feel after meeting with Jim that he was suicidal?” The athletic lawyer looked at her with piercing eyes.

“No. He wasn’t himself. He spoke with absolute terror. I never thought he would, you know,” Miranda looked down at her twisted fingers, “take his own life.” Her voice choked on the words.

The well-dressed man continued the questioning. “Miranda, why be loyal? Why stay, when Jim was telling you that you would no longer have a job?”

“I assumed Entice Consultancy pushed too far with a competitor and the media would have their fun and then our lives would go back to normal.”

“When did you find out about the Entice Consultancy allegations?” 

Miranda took a breath, “That night, I knew something was going to come out in the media. So I watched the news and that’s when I heard about Jim’s death.”

“Miranda, you were dealing with clients and helping them sign contracts. How did you not know Entice Consultancy was stealing money?”

Miranda thought for a moment before she answered. “It was not in the contract. The contract noted the terms and conditions, the privacy act and what was expected of our services. It stated the rate our services charged and the hourly rate the candidate was to be paid.”

The lawyer seemed surprised at this turn of events; he looked away for a brief second before he returned his sharp gaze to Miranda. “What form was used for the client’s bank account details then?”

“I am not sure.”

“What do you mean you’re not sure? You were handling your client’s accounts, were you not?”

Miranda sighed. “I was handling their business but I never saw their account details or even if they made payment.”

“Who would look after this then?” Miranda knew the dreaded subject was about to approach. Sweat started to moist inside her palms.

“When a client signed a contract, I would hand it over to the receptionist who would take copies for the files and set-up their information on our system.”

“Do you mean Sally Klein?” There it was the name Miranda had dreaded to hear.

“Yes.”

“Sally went to the media not long after word was out about the criminal activity. What did she say about you?” He narrowed his eyes down at Miranda.

Miranda felt nobody was else in the room, just her and this cunning man. The room seemed to be become narrower and narrower. He stood in front of her as he waited for a response. “As I recall, Sally said I knew about the criminal activity and received the most commission and a new car this year.”

“And did you receive the most pay and a new car?” It was at this point, that the room felt like it collapsed to the size of the jail cell.

“Yes I did.”

“Ooh,” the audience murmured in disbelief.

“But I had earned it. I was the best consultant. I worked long hours and brought in the most clients.” Miranda shot back in defence.

“So you were the best?” he asked in a tone that sounded even cockier then before.

“Yes.”

“Why do you think Sally went to the media about you?”

“I’m not sure.” Miranda shrugged as she wondered if that was a good enough answer.

“Did Jim lock his office door?”

“Yes.”

“Who also had a key to his office?”

“Sally,” Miranda said.

“You didn’t?” He seemed surprised by this fact.

“No.”

“That’s all for now. We will take a short recess.” The judge interrupted. Miranda took a deep breath. Her body was so tense; it was aching when she finally allowed her body to relax. Miranda moved out of the stand and walked over to Maxwell.

Grant came behind Miranda and wrapped his arms around her waist. He whispered into her ear, “You are doing so well, you really are brave.” He turned Miranda to face him and kissed her softly.

“Miranda, stay focussed on the facts and you will be declared innocent in no time,” Maxwell said.

“Hold on, the police officer said I was innocent,” Miranda shot back confused.

“No I am afraid if you were, you wouldn’t be here today.”

“But I am just a witness,” Miranda stammered.

“You are a witness, but if you are found guilty then all bets are off.”

Miranda sat down, lifeless. She felt like she had been kicked in the stomach. There was a possibility she could go to jail. She could be a criminal. Her life would be over.

#

Since Ray’s retirement, life had been a dream. Every day Ray and Louise did what they wanted. No bosses or work colleagues to deal with. No lengthy travel times to and from work. No sleazebags that tried to chat up Louise. Louise spent all her time with Ray. They did not even waste precious time cleaning. Life was to be enjoyed and that was exactly what they had been doing. Their financial situation had helped them accomplish their lifestyle. Thank goodness they had been both smart with money. The best thing Louise had ever done was act on her ideas. Even if they failed at least she went for it and tested the waters.

Now that Ray and Louise were officially retired, Louise felt like she could focus on something really worthwhile. Louise wanted to volunteer for a charity. It sounded cliché. But she used to volunteer one day a year and always felt on top of the world afterwards. One day a year was not much, even something like a few days a month would be good. Although, Louise still wanted to be flexible and leave her options open in case something else popped up.

Louise went on the internet and looked up what charities were on offer. She had a warm heart for animals. This provided a few options such as RSPCA and the Australia Zoo. She also enjoyed spending time with children. Perhaps she could volunteer at the Royal Children’s Hospital?

Louise always liked to teach people, it provided her with a sense of leadership. But she also loved to watch people learn and grow. Louise pondered on ideas on what she could teach. She did have an eating disorder before and there were many other women and young females that had suffered from a disorder too. How could Louise really help those beautiful women see themselves in a new light to stop destroying their bodies?

As Louise pondered, Ray knocked on her study door, “Come in.”

“Hi beautiful, I know you are busy, but I thought I would make you a coffee.” He placed the mug down on the desk and she let the delicious smell waft into her senses.

“Thank you Ray that was very thoughtful.”

“What’s on your mind, Louise?”

“To be honest, I would like to spend some time helping people. I thought why not help them with something I have personally struggled with? I want to talk to females, no have a discussion with them. Hear their stories about living with eating disorders.”

“Hmm,” Ray said. Louise could tell he was pleased. “That sounds like a great idea.”

“Perhaps even gather their stories and put it into a book to help more and more women around the world.”

Ray drew Louise close and kissed her. “You really are an amazing woman,” he said in awe.

Louise laughed. “So what’s next on your agenda?”

Ray took a sip of his coffee and then looked up at Louise, his eyes sparkled, “You.”

“What do you mean?” Louise chuckled.

“My aim is to ensure you are happy. For you to experience the adventures the world has to offer. If I can bring happiness into the life of one person, I choose you.” Louise hugged Ray, he was so selfless. They sipped the remaining of their coffees and promised to spend more time together. Ray kissed Louise once more before he stood up to leave her with her thoughts.

One thing Louise had always known to do when she got an idea was to act on the thought immediately otherwise if she left the idea, the idea would stay as an idea forever. Louise began to write down her thoughts and brainstormed on how to make it work.

After hours of forming her ideas, Louise’s felt pumped. She felt like she had touched on something very powerful. If she could help women enjoy their lives without being sick, then she knew her life was worth living. Now was her time to give back.

***

If you enjoyed reading this chapter, please vote for it! Thank you.

Copyright 2012 by Melanie Toye  

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

15.1K 1.4K 78
Ava Richards, an adventurous travel blogger with an insatiable wanderlust, never expected her next adventure would lead her straight into the arms of...
1M 41.3K 60
"you're no one to me", his words echoed in my ears but what was it all when he kissed me; merely an illusion? It felt so real and lively. "...and ju...
51 0 15
Jessica Simmons lived a happy life in Los Angeles, California. That is until her younger brother died in a car accident that she had to witness. His...
180 40 18
Ariane Nabor is a Filipino citizen who loves to travel. She began traveling back and forth when she was twenty-seven. She doesn't settle in one place...