enchanted | a. pendragon [on...

็”ฑ theilliterateironman

"๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ง๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ง ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ, ๐ฅ๐ข๐š." "๐ข ๐š๐ฆ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐ก ๐ซ๏ฟฝ... ๆ›ดๅคš

p l a y l i s t
c a s t
p a r t o n e
i | the dragon's call
ii | valiant
iii | the mark of nimueh
iv | the poisoned chalice
v | lancelot
vi | a remedy to cure all ills
vii | the gates of avalon
viii | the beginning of the end
ix | excalibur
x | the moment of truth
xi | the labyrinth of gedref
xii | to kill the king
xiii | le morte d'arthur
p a r t t w o
i | the curse of cornelius sigan
ii | the once and future queen
iii | the nightmare begins
iv | lancelot and illyria
v | beauty and the beast pt. i
vi | beauty and the beast pt. ii
vii | the witchfinder
ix | the lady of the lake
x | sweet dreams
xi | the witch's quickening
xii | the fires of idirsholas
xiii | the last dragonlord
p a r t t h r e e
a d d i t i o n a l c a s t
i | the tears of uther pendragon pt. i
ii | the tears of uther pendragon pt. ii
iii | goblin's gold
iv | gwaine
v | the changeling
vi | the crystal cave
vii | the castle of fyrien
viii | illyria's lament
ix | the eye of the phoenix
x | love in the time of dragons
xi | the sorcerer's shadow
xii | the coming of arthur pt. i
xiii | the coming of arthur pt. ii
p a r t f o u r
i | the darkest hour pt. i
ii | the darkest hour pt. ii
iii | the wicked day
iv | aithusa
v | a servant of two masters
vi | his father's son

viii | the sins of the father

13.8K 521 310
็”ฑ theilliterateironman

"do you think that if the great purge had never happened that lórien would still be here? that my parents would still be alive?"

[2.8 — The Sins of the Father]

Everyone was gathered in the Hall of Ceremonies for the latest group of men who had passed Arthur's series of tests to become a Knight of Camelot. Uther stood over the five men who were kneeling as he recited their oath and knighted them with his sword.

"Arise Sir Vidor, Knight of Camelot. Arise Sir Caradoc, Knight of Camelot," he said, finishing up the process. They all got to their feet. "You have been accorded a great honor. But with that honor comes great responsibility. From this day forth, you are sworn to live by the knights' code. You have pledged to conduct yourselves with nobility, honor, and respect. Your word is your sacred bond. You will find no one who better embodies these values than my son, Arthur. Follow his example, and you will prove yourselves worthy of your title."

Before Uther could finish his speech and make everything official, they all heard a shout of pain from the corridor. The entire court looked to the door at the sound of swords clashing outside. Then a knight in a helmet entered the hall, clearly not from Camelot. Each of the new knights drew their swords along with Arthur — things hadn't gone well the last time a mysterious knight interrupted a ceremony.

The knight approached Arthur, who had stepped forward. Then the knight removed their gauntlet and dropped it at his feet. Arthur was quick to pick it up, having learned his lesson about letting his knights fight his own battles.

"I accept your challenge," he said.

"Not again," Lia whispered so that Merlin was the only one to hear. He shared a nervous look with her.

"If I'm to face you in combat, do me the courtesy of revealing your identity," Arthur said to the knight.

Everyone kept their eyes glued to the knight as they removed their helmet, revealing long blonde hair — revealing a woman.

"My name is Morgause."

| | |

Everyone had been thrown for a loop at Morgause's arrival. Never had a woman ever issued a challenge such as this, but at the same time, it wasn't illegal. The challenge was legitimate, and Arthur would have to face her. Morgause had been offered a room to stay in, but she stayed up well into the night, practicing her maneuvers in the courtyard.

"I've brought your sleeping draught," Lia said, entering Morgana's chambers. She was staring out her window down at Morgause while Gwen was turning back the sheets on the bed. Lia joined Morgana's side and peered out the window. "She seems to handle that sword very well."

"Who is she?" Gwen asked, moving around the room. "Why would she challenge Arthur? It seems no one's ever heard of her."

"I feel as if I've met her somewhere before," Morgana murmured.

"Really? Where could you know her from?" she asked.

"I don't know," Morgana said, shaking her head. Though she shared a look with Lia. Silently, she let Lia know that it was an almost magical feeling about Morgause.

"I'm a bit worried about Arthur," Lia admitted as she watched the woman below.

"You think he could be beaten by her?" Gwen asked.

Lia shrugged. "I'm afraid he may go easy on her because she is a woman. You know how men like him are. But he can't. Morgause clearly knows what she's doing — she made it past countless guards before marching up to him in the Hall of Ceremonies. It's a fight to the death, and I fear that he will lose."

"Don't let Arthur hear that pep talk," Morgana muttered. She smiled weakly as Lia giggled. Then she looked back down at Morgause. Morgana couldn't place the feeling exactly, but she knew the mysterious woman was important somehow.

| | |

"Is he nervous?"

As Arthur entered the arena, Lia quickly joined Merlin's side. The crowd cheered for the Prince, who kept a blank face as he approached Morgause, who already had her helmet on.

"He's not admitting anything out loud," Merlin muttered. "He's nervous about killing her."

"Convenient," Lia said, crossing her arms. "I'm nervous about her killing him."

Merlin raised a surprised eyebrow — Lia was almost always overly hopeful in situations like this. Her faith in Arthur was unwavering, just as his was. However, she did not elaborate on her concern as the pair watched Arthur anxiously.

Uther stood in the stands to address both Arthur and Morgause. "The fight is by the Knights' Rules and to the death."

Arthur walked up to Morgause to speak quietly with her. "I'm offering you a final chance to withdraw. I suggest you take it." She simply looked up at him, not unnerved by his offer. "Then you leave me no choice."

Arthur stepped away and put his helmet on. He faced Morgause, both of them raising their swords. She was the first to attack, coming at him swiftly with precise motions. Most of the crowd cheered, but Lia, Merlin, Gwen, Uther, and Morgana watched silently with worried expressions on their faces.

They continued to battle, and Arthur eventually knocked the sword out of Morgause's hand, injuring her in the process. The crowd gasped, thinking that that was it — that he would kill her. But then in a show of honor, Arthur stepped back, allowing her time to pick up her weapon.

Lia was conflicted. On one hand, she adored Arthur's kindness in that moment, but on the other, she couldn't believe he had done such a thing. What if his kindness cost him his life?

Unlike Lia, the crowd loved how Arthur allowed Morgause to get her sword. They cheered loudly for their Prince. Once Morgause had her sword, he continued the fight. The battle went on, each fighting roughly. As Arthur backed Morgause into the wall of the arena, they thought he would win. But she managed to weasel out of the trap and then knock him to the ground. Arthur's helmet fell off, and before he could get back up, Morgause was standing over him with her sword pressed against his chest, forcing him flat on his back.

A gasp left Lia's lips and she shoved her face in Merlin's chest. She could not watch Arthur die. After a moment, Merlin placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, trying to coax her out.

"She's saying something, but I can't hear," he murmured. "Her helmet is off."

Lia looked and saw that Morgause had in fact removed her helmet. She and Arthur were having some sort of quiet conversation with her sword over his heart. Whatever they were discussing, it looked serious. Then, after a moment, Morgause pulled her sword back and offered her hand to Arthur. Everyone murmured in disbelief as she helped him to stand, sparing his life.

Morgause stepped towards Uther in the stands and nodded quickly to him before leaving the arena. Lia sent Arthur a sympathetic smile before following Morgause, knowing she was injured. Gaius stayed behind to check on Arthur.

"My Lady," Lia called, catching up to her. Morgause glanced at her over her shoulder and slowed her pace. "I am one of the Court Physicians. Would you like me to treat your injury?"

"Thank you," Morgause said, nodding. They continued to walk together towards Morgause's guest chambers. "And you need not call me My Lady. Morgause is fine."

"My name is Lia," she told her, smiling. "I must congratulate you on your victory. There are few who can best Prince Arthur in a fight."

"I owe my victory to his show of mercy," she stated.

"Well, I suppose all of Camelot is grateful for you showing the same," Lia said. She was grateful. "Not only that but now his servant, my best friend, will have so much fun tormenting Arthur over this."

"It is so easy to wound a man's ego," Morgause said. She didn't speak in a joking tone, but Lia still giggled.

They reached Morgause's room, where Lia helped remove her chainmail so that she could see her arm. It was a clean cut and only needed a few stitches, which Lia took care of. Then she wrapped it tightly in bandages.

"You're fortunate the wound isn't too deep," Lia told her. She had seen far worse wounds after duels. Morgause was inspecting the bandage as she nodded her head. Lia noticed a golden bracelet around her wrist, which she thought was odd to have worn during a battle, but did not say anything. "You know, Gaius, the other Court Physician said that you seemed a bit familiar to him. Have you visited Camelot in the past?"

"I was here many years ago," Morgause replied. "I was just a baby at the time. I doubt he'd remember me."

"Perhaps not, but Gaius has a surprisingly good memory for his age," she said, packing up her supplies. "I'll leave behind some ointment to prevent infection. You'll need to apply it every day for a week. I hope the wound does not hurt too much during your travels."

"I'm grateful for your help," Morgause said, nodding thankfully. "It was wonderful to meet you, Lia."

"You as well."

| | |

Arthur was quick to retreat to his room after his defeat. Merlin had stayed fairly silent on the walk back. Once they reached the Prince's chambers, he slumped over in a chair to pout while Merlin started to remove his armor.

"It could've been worse," Merlin said, trying to get Arthur to cheer up.

"How, exactly, could it have been worse?" he asked, keeping his head on the table.

"You could be dead," he pointed out.

"At least I wouldn't have to face everyone," Arthur muttered. "I've never felt so humiliated in my entire life. I was defeated by a girl."

Merlin was glad that Arthur kept his head down so that he would not see the grin on his face. "I've been beaten by Lia loads of times, and she's a girl. It's actually quite funny when you think about it." Arthur turned his head to glare up at him, and Merlin's smile quickly disappeared. "Or not."

"No. It's like you said," Arthur said sitting up straight. "I was hindered because I was fighting a woman. I was worried I was going to hurt her. That's why she won."

Merlin shot him a doubtful look while continuing with the armor. "You didn't look hindered—" He cut himself off when Arthur looked at him sharply. "I'll stop talking now."

| | |

After dinner, Morgana had wandered all the way to Morgause's guest chambers. She could not shake the feeling that she knew her somehow and thought that speaking with her might give her some answers. She knocked once before entering the room. Morgause walked out from behind the changing partition, seemingly surprised by Morgana's arrival.

"I didn't mean to intrude," Morgana quickly said. "I wanted to introduce myself. I'm the Lady Morgana."

"I know who you are," Morgause told her, approaching with a small smile — or maybe it was a smirk.

Morgana seemingly didn't know what to say. She hadn't actually planned out the things she wanted to ask Morgause, so she focused on her bandaged arm. "How is your arm? You were wounded."

"It'll heal soon enough. Lia has a gentle touch," she commented, glancing down at the wound. Then she examined Morgana carefully. "You look tired."

"I haven't been sleeping," she admitted. Morgana didn't know why she was being so open with her.

"I know for myself how troubling that can be."

"Could it be that we've met somewhere before?" she asked, sounding hopeful.

Morgause shook her head. "I'm glad we have met now."

There was another beat of silence as Morgause set her chainmail on her bed. Morgana caught sight of the ornate bracelet on her wrist. "That's a beautiful bracelet," she complimented.

"It was a gift... from my mother." And then she slipped the bracelet off and held it out to Morgana. "Please, I would like you to have it. It's a healing bracelet. It will help you sleep."

"I couldn't," Morgana quickly denied. Then she realized she had been there far too long and was likely overstepping her boundaries. "You must be tired. I will leave you to rest."

"I hope you will remember me fondly," Morgause said before she could leave.

Morgana looked back and noticed how true her words were. She nodded, knowing that for whatever reason, she would not be able to forget about Morgause. She'd be at the front of her mind for some time.

Later that night, as Morgana was asleep in her bed, she was unaware that someone was watching her. As she tossed and turned from her nightmares, Morgause silently stood at the end of the bed. She raised up the amulet that Morgana had previously refused and whispered a quiet spell. Then she placed the bracelet at the end of Morgana's bed. Morgause left as quietly as she had arrived, leaving Morgana alone once more, whose fitful sleep seemed to come to an end.

| | |

Morgause prepared to leave Camelot early that next morning. Arthur watched from afar as she packed her saddlebag. Lia was standing next to her with a small package of supplies for her.

"I've packed some bandages and a few other things to help you on your journey," Lia explained.

Morgause took the bundle with a grateful smile and put it in her bag. "Thank you for your kindness."

"Do you think you'll be returning to Camelot one day?"

There was a particular glint in her eyes that Lia couldn't quite place. "I don't think I'm very welcome after besting the Prince."

"Nonsense," Lia said, shaking her head. "Camelot could use more women like you to protect it — and perhaps to knock some of the knights down a few pegs."

It was then that Arthur finally approached, leading his own horse by the reigns. Morgause looked at him expectantly for a moment.

"Congratulations on your victory. You're a skillful swordsman — woman," he corrected. "Swords... swordswoman."

Morgause walked over to him and Lia followed. They watched as she gently pet the horse's nose. "You have a beautiful horse."

Arthur glanced at his horse in agreement, missing the way that Morgause's eyes glowed red for a moment. Lia caught it and her eyes widened at the obvious use of magic right in front of the Prince. Morgause raised an eyebrow at her as if daring her to say something to Arthur. Lia stayed silent but stepped closer to Arthur.

"I shall expect to see you three days hence," Morgause told Arthur. Lia was puzzled, unsure of what they were talking about. Why was Arthur going to meet her?

"How will I find you?" he asked.

"When the time comes, you will know your way," she told him. She sounded certain as she walked back over to her own horse. Lia wondered if perhaps the small bit of magic she had used on Arthur's horse was to guide it in some way.

"If I don't show up it might be because I don't know where I'm going," Arthur told her, refraining from rolling his eyes.

"The path you must follow will become clear to you," she said before mounting her horse. "I should thank you for allowing me to retrieve my sword."

"I'm starting to wish I hadn't," he muttered.

"You showed yourself to be a man of honor. You inherited that trait from your mother."

Arthur looked up at her in surprise. "You knew my mother?"

"I knew her very well." And the Morgause was riding off, leaving Arthur with more questions than he could wrap his head around.

"Wait!" he shouted after her, but she was already gone. He stared helplessly in the direction she went in.

"Arthur," Lia said hesitantly, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. He seemed to be in a bit of a trance. "Are you alright?"

"She knew my mother," he said weakly.

"Arthur," she said in a firmer tone. "Why are you meeting her in three days?"

"I promised to accept her challenge in exchange for my life in the duel," he admitted. Finally, he tore his eyes away from the horizon.

Lia frowned. After seeing Morgause use magic and beat him in combat, she was worried. There was no telling what Morgause would ask him to do. "And what does the King think about this challenge?"

"I've yet to tell him about it," Arthur admitted. "I'm to meet with him later and will explain. My father is a man of honor and he will understand why I must go to meet her."

Lia bit her lip and glanced away so that Arthur wouldn't catch the doubtful look on her face. Understanding wasn't a word anyone would use to describe Uther, and he certainly wouldn't let Arthur ride off to meet with a mysterious woman who could easily kill him. But if Arthur wanted to believe that his father was as honorable as he thought, then she'd let him.

It wouldn't last long anyway.

| | |

Lia was present as Arthur sought an audience with his father. She stood to the side in the council chambers with her hands clasped behind her back, silently watching as Arthur told his father the entire story. Just as Lia predicted, he was unimpressed by Arthur's wish to find Morgause.

"And what is to be the nature of this challenge?" he asked.

"She didn't say. But I gave her my word that I would accept it no matter what," Arthur stated.

"You should never have made such a promise," Uther told him. "You have no idea what she might ask of you."

"She had her sword to my chest. I had no choice," he said. Uther looked back at the documents he was working on signing. Arthur glanced at Lia for a moment before continuing. "Morgause said that she knew my mother."

Uther froze and stared at Arthur. "She told you this?" Arthur nodded, and Uther abruptly stood from his chair. "Obviously she's lying. She's playing on your affections for your mother to lure you into a trap."

"That makes no sense," Arthur argued. "She spared my life."

"It confirms my suspicions. I believe Morgause is an enchantress. How else could she have defeated you?" Lia tensed up at his words. For once, the King was right to make such an accusation.

"I don't believe she was using magic," Arthur begrudgingly admitted.

"And you would know for certain if she were? Under no circumstances will you go to meet her, or accept this challenge," he ordered.

"I gave her my word!"

"I don't care what was said to her. You will remain in Camelot," Uther said, sitting back down.

Arthur marched up to him with a determined look on his face. "I want to hear what she knows about my mother."

"She knows nothing. She is lying," Uther insisted. "You will not go to her. I forbid it."

"So I am to break my word?"

"Escort my son to his chambers. Under no circumstances will he be allowed to leave," Uther ordered to the guards.

They approached Arthur, who scoffed in disbelief. "You're confining me to my chambers?"

"I am protecting you from your own foolishness!" he shouted.

Arthur was furious as the guards removed him from the council chambers. Lia watched with wide eyes as Uther tried to calm himself down. She was beginning to regret accompanying Arthur to this meeting. After a moment, Uther's eyes sharply landed on her.

"If you are remaining to argue on Arthur's behalf, then I suggest you leave," he said, his jaw still clenched tightly.

"No, Sire," she admitted. "I think you are right to do so."

Uther was surprised as Lia very rarely opposed Arthur's choices. It managed to help him calm down a bit more. "Why is that?"

"I didn't think anything of her while treating her wound. But there was just something off about her in the way she was speaking with the Prince this morning before she left," she explained. "She only slipped in the fact that she knew his mother just before leaving. For whatever reason, she very badly wants him to meet her. And you're right — I believe she is a sorcerer."

Uther was not surprised but was glad to have her confirm his suspicions. "Thank you for keeping an eye on Arthur."

| | |

That night, Lia and Gaius were both in the physician chambers when Merlin arrived. Gaius glanced away from the potion he was heating over a bunsen burner at him.

"How's Arthur?"

"You mean after being defeated by a girl in front of the whole of Camelot?" he asked with a smile. "I've seen him happier."

"Someone's enjoying this," Lia said, grinning. "How many times has he told you to shut up today?"

"Far too many to count," he said, chuckling.

Lia giggled and looked back down at the ingredients that she was chopping up. After a moment, Merlin moved to her side and very suddenly started grinding up something with the mortar and pestle. Gaius and Lia eyed him warily but did not question his actions.

Then Merlin grunted, catching their attention once more. He smiled tightly at them and continued working. Gaius studied him for a moment before going back to his potion. Lia however did not drop her suspicions. Merlin twitched nervously under her calculating look.

And then she spotted the rope slithering across the floor and up the leg of Merlin's pants.

Lia narrowed her eyes accusingly while he quickly shook his head, silently asking her not to say anything to Gaius. She grumbled under her breath and finished her work. But once Merlin finished "working" he rushed to their shared chambers, and Lia followed after him. She caught him throwing some supplies in a bag.

"You're going after Morgause," Lia said. It wasn't a question.

Merlin avoided her judgmental stare. "Arthur made a promise."

"You shouldn't be encouraging him," she said. "I think she might be dangerous — to Camelot and to Arthur."

"If she wanted to kill Arthur then she would've done it in the arena," he pointed out.

"I don't think she plans to kill him, but there are plenty of other ways she could harm him," she warned. "If - if you're going to go, then you must be careful."

"Aren't I always?" he asked, smiling wryly.

"You really don't want me to answer that question."

| | |

"Lia?" The physician in question hummed innocently as she ate her breakfast. Gaius had just wandered up to Merlin and Lia's chambers in search of the boy, who was not there. "Where's Merlin?"

"Merlin?" Lia questioned, avoiding eye contact. Gaius crossed his arms and gave her an unimpressed look. "I suppose that I don't know."

"Lia."

"Honest! Technically, I don't know where he and Arthur have run off to," she told him. "He gave me no details about their plan."

Gaius sighed heavily, a headache beginning to form. "They've gone to meet Morgause." Lia only nodded. "We must inform the King."

"Great," Lia muttered.

She shoved the last of her breakfast in her mouth before following after Gaius. They made their way to the council chambers, where Gaius informed Uther that Arthur had snuck out. He was furious, of course, and marched all the way to Arthur's chambers to check for himself.

The guards opened the door and Uther stormed in. Immediately, he saw the open window that Arthur had climbed out of. He angrily turned to the guards. "You've been guarding an empty room. Send out a search party! Find Arthur and bring him back to Camelot!"

Once the guards were gone, he looked worriedly at Gaius. "Do you have any idea what Morgause might want with Arthur?"

"I'm afraid I don't."

| | |

Typically, Lia was the only one to deliver Morgana's sleeping draught to her. However, Gaius had requested to come with her that day for some reason. Really, he had been acting odd since Morgause's arrival and departure, but she had no idea why it would make him want to see Morgana. She did not question him about it though as he tagged along.

Lia knocked on the door and Morgana greeted them with a bright smile. "Lia, Gaius, come in."

"Good day, my dear. I brought you your sleeping draught," Gaius said, stepping in the room.

"I could've saved you the trouble. I had the best night's sleep I can remember," she told them.

"No nightmares?" Lia asked. Morgana nodded with a smile, which Lia matched. "Gana, that's wonderful!"

"I can't tell you what a relief it is. I only wish I could thank Morgause for her gift."

Both Gaius and Lia noticed the bracelet which was on her wrist. The same one that Morgause had been wearing.

"Morgause gave you that bracelet?" Gaius asked.

"She told me it would help me sleep. She spoke the truth," Morgana told them. Lia was conflicted. On one hand, she was delighted that something had finally helped Morgana's nightmares, but on the other, she was worried. One moment Morgause was challenging Arthur and bringing up his dead mother and the next giving magical gifts to Morgana. It made no sense.

At least Lia was able to hide her concerns, unlike Gaius, who looked worried. Morgana picked up on it. "Gaius, what is it?"

"Nothing. I'm merely surprised that it's so effective," he told her.

"I feel as if I somehow know Morgause," she admitted.

"I don't see how," Gaius said, forcing a pleasant smile. "But I'm pleased you're feeling better."

Gaius quickly left them, claiming he had some more work to do. Lia stayed behind and watched Morgana as she moved about the room.

"You look so well-rested," Lia said, smiling. She hadn't seen Morgana look so healthy in some time.

Morgana happily walked over to her and held her hands. "I feel so amazing, Lia. I've so much energy that I feel I could dance the day away."

Lia giggled as Morgana then twirled her under her arm. "Well, if I ever see Morgause again then I'll have to get her some flowers. You have no idea how happy I am for you."

Morgana hugged her tightly, leaning her head on her shoulder. Then she pulled back and her smile dimmed a bit. "You'll still come to see me all the time, right? I've gotten used to seeing you every day when you bring me my sleeping draught. Or is it too selfish of me to ask for you to waste your time on me?"

Lia smiled and held Morgana's hand. "Time with you is never a waste."

| | |

Gaius hadn't explained his actions very much to Lia, but she followed when he told her they were meeting with Uther. He had been combing through books ever since speaking with Morgana, but Lia hadn't managed to get any answers out of him. He did question her about the bracelet, which she told him that Morgause had been wearing when cleaning her wound. The King was eating alone when they were let into the room.

"My Lord, I must speak with you," Gaius told him. "It concerns Morgause."

"What is it?" he asked, sitting straighter.

Gaius glanced at Lia, knowing he had to be careful with his words in order not to alert the King to the fact that Morgana was now in possession of a magical bracelet. "Lia told me about a bracelet that she wore while treating her wound."

Uther glanced at Lia for a moment. "Go on."

"And it bore the mark of one of the Great Houses — the Great House of Gorlois." Uther froze and his eyes widened. "There is only one person, other than Morgana, who would have cause to wear such a bracelet. That is her half-sister."

Lia's jaw dropped but she stayed silent, knowing that she could not intervene in this conversation. Uther's shocked expression turned to one of anger. "I was led to believe that the child had died."

"The child lived, My Lord," Gaius revealed. Uther stood abruptly. "She was smuggled out of Camelot shortly after her birth."

"How do you know this?"

"It was I who entrusted the child to the High Priestesses of the Old Religion."

Uther walked up to Gaius with a managing look on his face. "You should've told me, Gaius."

"I had sworn a solemn oath, My Lord. I'm only breaking it now because I fear what Morgause might do," Gaius told him.

"Does Morgana know?"

"I don't believe so," he replied quietly.

"Morgana must never find out she has a half-sister," Uther ordered. "I will not have her loyalties divided."

When he looked to Lia, she nodded quickly, letting him know that she would keep it a secret. Then he looked at Gaius. "Of course." Uther moved to return to his meal, but Gaius stopped him. "The High Priestesses will have trained Morgause from birth. Her magic will be powerful."

"Then we must hope the search party finds Arthur before he reaches her."

This explained so much. Why Morgana had felt as if she knew Morgause. Why she had even bothered to help with Morgana's nightmares. But it also raised questions. Why had Morgana's half-sister, who was raised by High Priestesses, challenged Arthur? What did she want with him? What did she want with Morgana?

Even though she had helped Morgana's horrible nightmares, Lia felt that more bad than good would come with Morgause in the future.

| | |

The next day, Lia stood by Gaius' side as Leon and a group of knights had to face Uther and inform him that they had not yet tracked down Arthur and Merlin. They had searched all through the night for them but came up empty-handed.

"The search party were unable to pick up a trail. There is no sign of Prince Arthur anywhere," Leon informed the King.

Uther was leaning over the table with a displeased look on his face. "Redouble your efforts. Send riders to the outlying villages. I want my son found!"

"Yes, My Lord," Leon said, nodding quickly. He and the other knights hastily left the council chambers.

"It chills me to think what Morgause has planned for Arthur," Uther said.

"Had she chosen to, she already could have killed him," Gaius reminded him. "I believe she has some other purpose in mind."

"Morgause told Arthur that she knew his mother," Uther told Gaius.

He was shocked by the information, which puzzled Lia. Clearly, there was something suspicious going on surrounding Arthur's deceased mother. "She knew Ygraine?" he asked.

"I don't know!" he exclaimed, growing more and more frustrated. "Perhaps it's a lie. She knew that it would tempt Arthur to go to her."

"You think that Morgause knows the true circumstances to Arthur's birth?" Gaius asked, stepping closer to him. Lia frowned, not understanding what he meant.

"I fear that more than anything," Uther muttered quietly. Then his eyes flicked to Lia, realizing that they were discussing something that she was not meant to hear. But instead of immediately sending her away, he studied her carefully.

Gaius watched the King nervously. "Lia, perhaps you should go back to the physician chambers and finish that batch of medicine for—"

"No," Uther interrupted. He stood straighter and did not take his eyes off Lia. "If Lia is truly to replace you once you are gone, then she will need your knowledge and wisdom about things like this. But I make it very clear that if you ever repeat what you are about to learn, then I will strike you down where you stand."

Lia swallowed thickly and thought that she'd much rather just not know. The dark glare that Uther was giving her sent chills down her spine. "I understand, Sire."

Uther stared at her for a moment longer before turning away. He nodded at Gaius, silently telling him to speak on his behalf.

"Twenty-one years ago, we learned that Ygraine could not produce a child — a natural heir to the throne. King Uther went to a sorceress, once thought to be a friend, and she promised that she could give him a child," he began. "Her name was Nimueh."

"Nimueh?" Lia repeated, shocked.

Gaius nodded gravely. "However, in exchange for a life, another must be taken. She did not disclose to Uther whose life would be taken."

"And she took Ygraine's," Lia realized.

"All those who use magic are vile, evil, wretched beings," Uther said, gripping the back of his chair tightly. "I was a fool to trust her and I paid dearly for it. That mistake will not be made again."

Lia couldn't believe it. She couldn't count the number of times she had questioned Uther's hatred towards magic — how many times she had wondered what horrible thing had happened to cause the Great Purge. She was only a baby as hundreds of magical beings fled to Lórien, knowing it was the one safe place from Uther's reign of terror.

So much destruction. So many lives were lost. Innocent children were slain for how they were born. Uther sat on his throne spewing hate towards those that used magic when he himself had turned to it in a time of need. He had gained a son but lost so much more. Lia found herself remembering those words that Aglain had said when she and Morgana visited the Druid camp.

She was angry, yes, but she also felt pity for Uther in that moment.

| | |

Lia may have pitied Uther, but that didn't mean she agreed with him. As soon as they had returned to the physician chambers, she went to her room and sat on her bed, simply thinking. Uther had spent a good five minutes threatening Lia to keep quiet, which of course she would.

If Arthur found out, there was no telling what he'd do. After all the horrible things he had done in his father's name for the crusade against magic, he would be disgusted with himself. But most of all, he'd be furious that his mother was dead because of Uther, and he didn't even have the decency to admit that it was his fault.

If Morgana found out, well, perhaps there'd be a repeat of what had happened with Tauren.

And Gaius made it clear that Merlin wasn't to know either. Though, it wasn't as if the sorcerer needed any more reasons to hate the King.

The only problem was that Gaius, Uther, and Lia were both convinced that the secret wouldn't remain a secret for much longer. Arthur would've reached Morgause by now, and there was no telling what she would do or say to him. And if she truly knew about Ygraine's death, would Arthur believe her?

"How is the news settling in?" Gaius asked. He was leaning against the door frame and watched as Lia frowned down at her flower-embroidered comforter.

"Do you... think that if the Great Purge had never happened that Lórien would still be here? That my parents would still be alive?"

Gaius sighed before coming and joining Lia on the bed. He wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulder and she leaned into him. "There are a great many consequences to the Great Purge, Illyria. But I fear that he still would've come for you even had it not happened. In fact, had it not, he may have acted sooner. You would've had less time with Florian and Illya."

Lia couldn't help but softly scoff. "Well, I certainly don't hope the King expects a thank you." Gaius simply patted her on the back. "I'm surprised he stayed friends with my father."

"Florian and Uther's friendship took quite a hit during the Purge, especially when Florian offered refuge to those fleeing Camelot. It was a full two years before the two spoke again, and even then, Uther never stepped foot in Lórien again," Gaius explained.

"I'm surprised Uther spoke to him at all," Lia mumbled.

"Well, he had to congratulate his oldest friend on the birth of his daughter," he said, a small smile appearing on his face. "The beginnings of peace talks soon followed. Even with their opposing views on magic, the pair of them thought the idea of their children getting married was a dream come true."

Lia's eyes widened and she leaned away from Gaius who had a mischievous glint in his eye. "You're joking. Arthur and I were not arranged to be married."

"Oh, yes you were. Once you were of age, you were to be sent to Camelot. Had everything gone according to plan, a little less than a year from now, you'd have been Illyria Pendragon, Crowned Princess of both Camelot and Lórien."

Lia's cheeks heated up and she looked away from Gaius, who was plenty amused by the thought of her marrying Arthur — amused wasn't exactly the word she'd used to describe her own feelings. But there was no use dwelling on a future that could never happen.

"Merlin is not to learn about that," Lia stressed. "The jokes would never stop."

"Yes, it would be rather unfortunate if that slipped out over dinner one night," Gaius said, grinning.

"Don't you dare!"

| | |

When Merlin and Arthur returned to Camelot, the Prince was quick to dismount his horse, grabbing his sword. He quickly walked up the steps of the castle, not saying anything as he left.

"What are you going to do?" Merlin asked. But he got no response as Arthur continued into the castle. Before he could follow him, Gaius and Lia approached.

"Thank goodness you're back," Lia said, hugging Merlin. It struck her odd that he did not hug her back.

"I'm relieved to see you're safe," Gaius said as Merlin pulled out of her arms. "Where's Arthur?"

Silently, Merlin walked around them and faced the wall of the courtyard. He did not speak for a few moments, which worried Gaius and Lia. "Arthur was born of magic. Wasn't he?" he asked, looking to Gaius. Of course, he already knew the answer. "Uther used magic."

"Merlin—"

"All those people he's executed — he's as guilty as they are. He sacrificed Arthur's mother!" Merlin said angrily. "He as good as murdered her! People should know the truth about what he's done. How could you not tell me?"

"I feared what Arthur would do if he ever found out," Gaius told him.

Then Merlin's eyes widened, thinking of how silent Arthur had been on the ride back — how determined he had looked. "Oh, he's found out now."

Merlin ran past them and into the palace. Lia shared a nervous look with Gaius before rushing after him. They ran through the halls all the way to the council chambers, hoping that they would make it there before Arthur did something he'd live to regret.

Leon was standing guard outside the council chambers, and when Merlin rushed up to him, he blocked him from entering.

"The King has forbidden anyone to enter," Leon told him, keeping a tight hold on Merlin.

"Leon, they're going to kill each other!" Lia shouted, putting a hand on his shoulder. He shot her a worried look and must have seen how serious she was because he let Merlin go.

Merlin quickly pushed open the door, and they all rushed inside. Arthur had Uther disarmed and forced into his chair with his sword raised, ready to kill him.

"Arthur! Don't!" Merlin shouted. "I know you don't want to do this!"

"My mother is dead because of him!" Arthur yelled, shaking in anger.

"Killing your father won't bring her back. You've lost one parent. Do you really want to lose another?" he asked, trying to get him to see reason.

"Listen to him, Arthur," Uther said. Speaking had been the wrong decision. Arthur glared at him and pressed the tip of his sword against his chest.

"Arthur, please, put the sword down," Merlin begged.

"You heard what my mother said! After everything he has done, do you believe he deserves to live? He executes those who use magic, and yet he has used it himself! You have caused so much suffering and pain! I will put an end to that!" he declared.

"Morgause is lying! She's an enchantress," Merlin stated. He knew that lying was the only way that he could calm Arthur down. "She tricked you. That was not your mother you saw. That was an illusion. Everything - everything your mother said to you... those were Morgause's words—"

"You don't know that!" he shouted.

"This has been her plan all along! To turn you against your father. And if you kill him, the kingdom will be destroyed. This is what she wants," Merlin said.

"Listen to him, he's speaking the truth," Uther breathed out.

"Swear to me it isn't true," Arthur ordered, still not lowering his sword. "You are not responsible for my mother's death. Give me your word!"

"I swear on my life, I loved your mother. There isn't a day that passes that I don't wish that she were still alive. I could never have done anything to hurt her," Uther stated. Lia shared a look with Gaius, both knowing that he hadn't actually done as Arthur asked.

Arthur trembled for a moment before letting his sword drop to the ground. He took a deep breath and fell to his knees, slumping against his father's chair. Uther put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"My son, you mean more to me than - than anything."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry," Arthur whispered weakly.

"You are not to blame."

The others watched on, knowing they needed to remain silent. Lia saw the conflicted look on Merlin's face as he watched Uther embrace Arthur. She walked up to him and took his hand in hers, squeezing it gently to let him know that he had done the right thing — even if it didn't feel like it.

| | |

Merlin was shocked when he entered the physician chambers and saw Uther waiting. Lia was nervously bottling a muscle relaxer as the King looked over some of Gaius' papers. She cut her eyes to Merlin, silently telling him that Uther had been waiting for him.

"My Lord," he greeted.

"I wanted to thank you in person for your actions yesterday," Uther told him. "You are a loyal servant to Arthur. I am most grateful."

"I was just doing my duty."

"You've proven yourself to be a trusted ally in the fight against magic."

Merlin couldn't believe his ears and he held back a laugh. "Me?"

"Both of you," he said, glancing over at Lia. "Those who practice magic will seek to exploit Arthur's inexperience. They will attempt to corrupt him. We must be extra vigilant."

"I will keep my eyes peeled," Merlin assured him.

"I know you will," Uther said, almost smiling. He moved to leave but stopped and turned once more to Merlin. "If you ever speak of what happened between myself and Arthur to another living soul, I will have you hanged."

"Right, of course. Yes, My Lord," he said.

Gaius arrived just as Uther left, catching sight of him as he walked away. He entered the room with a confused expression on his face. "Was that Uther I saw just leaving?"

"Yeah. He just popped in to say hello," Merlin said. Lia rolled her eyes and joined his side.

"Merlin, what did he want?" he asked.

"He wanted to thank me for being a trusted ally in the fight against magic," he said, still not quite believing the words. Lia pat him on the shoulder while Gaius shook his head.

"How you've managed to keep that head on your shoulders is a mystery beyond our greatest minds," he said, chuckling. "Uther should be grateful. Your life would've been easier and safer if you'd let him die. You must have been tempted."

"Maybe for a moment," Merlin admitted. "But Arthur wouldn't have been able to forgive himself if he'd gone through with it. It would have destroyed him."

"I'm proud of you, Merlin," Lia told him. She hugged him, and this time he hugged her back, leaning his head on top of hers.

"You're always proud of me, Lia," he said, smiling wryly.

"Well, I'm proud as well," Gaius said, knowing the compliment was rare from himself.

Merlin was quite pleased with the praise. "Arthur's thanking me, Uther's grateful, you're proud. I've never been this popular."

"I'm almost certain it won't last," Gaius joked.

"Just let me enjoy the moment," Merlin said, taking a seat and kicking his feet up on the table.

Lia playfully rolled her eyes before pushing his feet off the furniture. "Careful, or you might start sounding like Arthur."

"Oh, I could never be such a prat."

| | |

There had been very little discussion about what had transpired over the last few days. Though Arthur had plenty of time to think about it. He had gone through so much and felt emotionally exhausted. While things were fixed between him and his father, he couldn't shake the feeling that there had been some truth to Morgause's words. Not only that, but he could not shake the image of his mother from his mind.

Maybe it really was her, or perhaps it was an illusion of her, but it had been his mother — at least the closest he'd ever get to the real thing.

Wanting, or rather needing, to get away from the castle and be alone with his thoughts, Arthur made his way to the field of wildflowers outside the walls of Camelot. While he had visited it once to pick flowers for Lia, he hadn't truly spent time there in a long time. But it was the first place on his mind when he wondered where he could go in order to not be bothered.

That plan was foiled when he heard a soft voice in the distance, growing nearer as he approached the field. Arthur couldn't say he was disappointed by what he found. He had never heard her sing, and yet he knew it was her before he spotted her. Lia sat in the field of flowers, staring up at the clouds as she sang softly.

"Lavender blue, dilly-dilly. Lavender green. If you were king, dilly-dilly. You'd need a queen."

"You have a beautiful voice."

Lia abruptly stopped her singing and looked over her shoulder. She hadn't noticed as Arthur approached. He watched her with a soft expression on his face. Then, after another moment of watching her, he joined her.

"You should sing more often," he said, sitting next to her on the ground. He noticed a bundle of freshly picked flowers in a basket next to her. "I have never heard a sound more lovely."

Lia smiled and shook her head. "You're too flattering."

"So, would those flowers happen to be for your dashing Prince?" he asked, smirking confidently.

"They're for Morgana." She giggled when he playfully huffed in annoyance. "To show how pleased I am that her nightmares have stopped."

"I feel I am always competing with her for your affection," he said, pouting. He then laid down in the grass and turned his head to keep looking at her.

"If you want flowers, all you need to do is ask, My Prince." Lia grinned and leaned over him, tucking a single bluebonnet into his hair. He smiled softly up at her before she joined him in the grass. She leaned her head to the side to look at him. "What brings you all the way out here?"

"I just... wanted to get away for a moment," he admitted. He studied her with a thoughtful expression for a moment. "Tell me, what do you remember about your mother?"

"Well," she said, glancing up at the clouds. "She was the most beautiful woman in the whole world. She used to sing me to sleep with that song every night. I can still hear her voice. She was so kind and loving to everyone that she met. I remember how there were stars in my father's eyes every time he looked at her — like she was the reason the sun came up in the morning. Growing up, I dreamed of having someone look at me like that."

Had she been watching Arthur's expression, she might have caught the similar look in his own eyes.

"She sounds like you," he commented softly. Lia smiled appreciatively. They sat in comfortable silence for a few more moments. His pinky brushed against hers in the grass once before he took her hand in his. "Will you finish your song?"

"If your dilly-dilly heart feels a dilly-dilly way. And if you'll answer yes in a pretty little church on a dilly-dilly day. I'll be wed in a dilly-dilly dress of lavender blue, dilly-dilly. Lavender green. Then you'll be king, dilly-dilly and I'll be your queen."

็นผ็บŒ้–ฑ่ฎ€

You'll Also Like

Boy From The Woods ็”ฑ Perrin

ๅŒไบบๅฐ่ชช

17.3K 633 20
Arthur Pendragon has always trusted his father's opinion of sorcery. He has witnessed, first hand, the atrocities Camelot's enemies could commit with...
217K 11.1K 29
Merthur AU (Set around early season 4) Arthur Pendragon is the new king of Camelot having assumed the throne after his father's death at the hands of...
Merlin one shots ็”ฑ -Line-28-

ๅŒไบบๅฐ่ชช

724K 26.5K 103
Just random Merlin oneshots. I try my best to be as original as possible. Goes from being sad, to funny, to mad.... You get the gist. I don't ship Ar...
The Future of Camelot ็”ฑ LothlorienLady

ๅŒไบบๅฐ่ชช

33.7K 1.2K 40
Merlin waited for almost a thousand years for Arthur. One day, he sees two old faces from the past. But when will Arthur return? Completely compliant...