Apartment 306

By oliviamj_

|Completed | A crossover w/ @_ntsha (go to her profile for her version!) Four strangers from diverse walks of... More

Apartment 306
1. "Go to hell"
2. "Saving myself for marriage"
3. "No new friends.."
4. "Let vacation begin"
5. "Love is an open door"
6. "You should smile more"
7. "Sour puss"
8. "Our lives are in danger"
9. "Can you swim?"
10. "Golden girls"
11. "Blue balls"
12. "My fresh start"
13. "What the fuck"
14. "I want to show you something"
15. "I don't like liars"
16. "I fell off my bike"
17. "Beep beep bitch"
18. "Fantasy Island"
19. "Death machine"
20. "The poet & photographer"
21. "GF"
22. "Because I got high"
23. "Does weed make you horny"
24. "Immortal"
25. "Women are fucking crazy"
26. "Two kids on an adventure"
27. "Third times a charm"
28. "Urgent meeting"
29. "A whole new world"
30. "Ride along"
31. "Lying is a sin"
32. "I've had enough"
33. "Johnny Castle"
34. "Giving in"
35. "The old Cassie"
36. "Mr. Right Now"
37. "Hit gone wrong"
38. "Silence is key"
39. "Distraction"
40. "Consent"
41. "RIP plans"
42. "Let shit go and move the fuck on"
43. "Gibby"
44. "Caregiver"
45. "Four fools in the woods"
46. "The now"
47. "Unexplainable new feelings"
48. "What's the price?"
49. "Boyfriends"
50. "A night in the hills"
51. "Treatment"
52. "The litte things"
53. "Never too late"
54. "I hope you want me"
55. "You're not going anywhere"
56. "The truth hurts"
57. "Only you"
58. P.O.V
60. "Trouble in paradise"
61. "The 's' word"
62. "I feel like a woman"
63. "I'm still breathing"
64. "It's always Cassie"
65. "I'm all in"
66. "You're mine"
67. "Blanks"
68. "The unexpected"
69. "How it began"
70. "Live for the thrill"
71. "Just say the words"
72. "Glowing"
73. "Under the weather"
74. "Downhill"
75. "Shit hit the fan"
76. "153"
77. "Netflix & chill"
78. "Mothers know best"
79. "The messenger"
80. "Insomnia"
81. "Holiday spirit"
82. "Promises"
83. "I met the devil"
84. "Men in black"
85. "Dead end"
86. "Got damn mood swings"
87. "End of story"
Epilogue

59. "Breaking point"

397 28 100
By oliviamj_

Volleyball. One of the many sports that I knew nothing about but have been coming to support my best friend. The crowd loved Brooklyn, and the commentators couldn't get enough of her. It surprised me that she was so good and how viciously she served the ball. That's probably the only volleyball term that I know of.

Gael, Noah, and I shared a row on the bench, but they were so into the game to speak. I saw Brooke's parents behind us, sitting on cushioned chairs, but I didn't feel necessary to introduce myself yet while their daughter played an intense game.

I trailed off until I heard someone scream Brooklyn's name behind me. I'm guessing it was her mom. When I looked at the floor, Brooke was sprawled out on the ground as she had just got hit. The fans swarming the benches got silent, watching to see if she was okay as I rose from my seat.

Her parents and Noah rushed to the floor to check on her while Gael, Rick, and I stayed put. They didn't need all those people coming to her rescue, and with Noah being a trainer, he could handle it.

"What happened? I kind of blanked out for a second," I said, taking my eyes off the huddle around Brooklyn to look at Gael.

He shrugged, sipping the drink in his hands. "I don't know. She got distracted by some dude that just walked in. But she's getting up now." He pointed out as the group circled each other.

Thirty minutes later, the court cleared out when they announced halftime. I still had no clue what was going on, but I knew The Sharks, Brooklyn's team was in the lead.

I turned toward Gael and raised my eyebrow. "I'm going to go to the bathroom really quick, okay?" I mouthed, roaming my eyes around his face.

"Want me to come with you? Knowing you, you might get lost." He laughed.

I shook my head, remembering where to go. "No, I'll be fine. Don't worry."

I leaned over and placed a quick kiss on his lips before shooting off the bench and heading to the bathroom. It wasn't too bad of a trip despite pushing through large crowds of people. I love Brooke to death, but this isn't my scene. Yeah, people are die-hard fans, but I'm just here for support and can't wait for it to end.

When I pushed through the door, I picked a stall and released myself. When I stepped out to wash my hands, I noticed Brooklyn's mom also doing the same and checking out her reflection in the mirror. 

I've heard that her parents are intense, and I didn't want to speak at the moment, but I didn't want her to think I was rude. I swished the soap around my hands and rinsed them under the water, wondering what the hell I would even say.

"Hi. I'm Cassie," I turned to face her after drying my hands. "I remember you from the cruise," I said without thinking.

At first, she gave me a dry look, sizing me up before saying, "Oh, you smile?" Her lips creased, "If I remember correctly, you didn't seem very friendly on the cruise. I take it as if you're friends with my Lynn?" She had a surprised look on her face. She had on a jersey with number ten printed on the front, straight highlighted hair, and pants that stopped at her ankles. She reminded me of one of those rich women that dressed up to go to their kid's sports games. With fur coats and heels, but in this case, she had a Birkin bag with flashy jewelry.

Taking off guard, I said, "Yes, I love your daughter."

My friend's mom ran her fresh, manicured hands through her hair. "Oh, sweetheart, she's not into women."

I parted my lips to speak but closed my mouth. Instead of speaking right away, I rapidly blinked my eyes. "No. Uh, she's my best friend. My first and only one, actually." I admitted with a chuckle.

"I can't believe she moved and started making friends. That's not like her. I'm Dana Brankovich." She introduced herself, not lowering her hand for me to shake. I didn't take any offense to it. Maybe she doesn't like being touched.

When the bathroom got quiet, I said, "I'm so excited to have finally met you."

"Likewise," Dana used a napkin to cock the door open. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to be back at the stands before my daughter plays again."

~~

The Sharks won like I knew they would. Brooklyn did amazing, brushing off getting a ball to the face, and came back even harder. I'm not sure how she's feeling because I haven't seen her, and we were all crowding around the exit, waiting for her appearance. Noah told us that she was probably in the locker room and knew where to find us. Her parents stood off to the side after talking to Rick. It was good to see that they got along, but Noah didn't seem to like them as much. At least, that's what it looked like from the outside in.

Another guy, a younger one, also had on Brooke's jersey, short dirty blonde hair, khaki pants, and sneakers. He stood close to Dana and her husband, laughing obnoxiously.

Rick then approached us. "I'm outta here. See ya, champ." He said to his son. "Tell Manhattan I said good game. Later Gael, Cassie." Both Gael and I said our goodbyes, giving quick hugs before he exited the stadium.

While Brooke took her sweet time, Noah stood with us, glancing around. He would occasionally look over at Brooke's parents but didn't want to say what was on his mind.

Another loud ass laugh caught our attention. "Well, looks like you got competition." Gael joked, tightening his lips. I could tell that he wanted to lighten Noah's sour mood.

I softly elbowed him. "That's not funny," I said.

Noah's face curled. "Who the hell is he?" That's exactly what it was. Noah didn't like the presence of the stranger talking to her parents. He was jealous, and I felt kind of bad for him.

"I don't know, but he's repping your girl's number and seemed to get along with Brooklyn's makers," Gael added, still not making anything better. The thought was cute, but it wasn't the time.

Noah angrily clenched his jaw and cut his eyes at the man. "I know it's not who I think it is."

"Oh!" Dana loudly cleared her throat, leading the younger man in our direction. If things were awkward before, it got a hell of a lot worse. "You all, this is William Vanderbilt of the Texas Vanderbilts; he's a family friend, Brooklyn's ex actually. Yes, William here is a lawyer." I faked a smile, staring as if I had no training. I stole a glance at Noah, who looked like he was going to pop or deflate. 

"Oh, don't talk me up too much," William laughed, placing his hand on his chest.

Brooke's father patted his back and said, "He's a great kid."

How fucking awkward. The three of us still had nothing to say, and I'm sure they knew that.

Will smiled confidently, clutching the bouquet of flowers in his hand. I'm assuming those are for Brooklyn. This isn't going to end pretty, especially knowing Noah. When he gets mad, it's pretty much the end of the world. Judging by the stuck look on his face, the end was near. And I wanted to stay far away. 

Gael slowly muttered. "That's one hell of an introduction."

I cleared my throat and awkwardly spoke up. "Hey, nice meeting you," I said, hoping to ease the tension.

"And Noah," Dana urged, "Are you going to say something?" I'm learning not to judge people upon really getting a chance to meet them, but I see what they mean. It's like she's trying to dramatize what's going on, and it's not necessary. Why is her ex here anyway?

What seemed like hours, Brooklyn finally ran up to everyone, unsure who to go to first. Noticing the look on their faces, I didn't want to stand here any longer, and this had nothing to do with me.

Before Brooke could say anything, I yanked Gael and said, "We have that thing to do. You know. Now." I hoped he would catch on because this wasn't our business.

Gael hummed and nodded. "Oh, that thing." Once we said our goodbyes, we walked straight out the exit without looking back. I'm sure if anything happened, Brooke would tell me.

~~

Night fell before I knew it, and I was finally at work after taking some time off. I was still on edge about being related to Zane and wasn't sure if I wanted to continue working here. But I knew that I needed to find a backup before just quitting because that's just the smart thing to do when you have bills and responsibilities. I hated the thought of being anywhere near him and him thinking he had control over me because we share the same blood.

It was a very slow night, nothing exciting really happening but the odd requests from guys wanting to go into the red room. We had a new DJ that went by the name Echo since Andre left to work at Galactica. He was good, different, but the crowd responded lively. I've been here for almost three hours, and my tips were looking more on the dry side.

"Cassie!" Lily jumped behind the bar as I wiped the counter. "I feel like we haven't hung out in forever. I miss you." She said, adjusting her high ponytail. I thought about texting her a few days ago but forgot. I did miss her and wouldn't mind a little diversion in my life.

I smiled, pushing a piece of my hair behind my ear. "I miss you too! I'm sorry, things have been...weird." I dragged, arching my eyebrow.

"Weird like you're pregnant, or weird like you died in a dream?" She asked with wide eyes. To my surprise, she wore a set that didn't have a splash of pink, more on the darker side. I loved that look for her and complimented her appearance.

Not following where she was going, I said, "A little bit of both? I guess."

"Wait, you're pregnant?" Lily's jaw dropped.

"No!" I blurted, rolling my neck and glimpsing behind me to see if I had any customers. Nothing.

She twisted her black-painted lips. "Do I even want to know?"

"Not really," I laughed. If I didn't tell her about Gael yet, why would I about Zane. Yes, we're friends, but that's extreme. "Hey! How are your tips tonight? They're sooo slow for me. My tits are pushed so high that I have a headache, and my thong is riding up my ass like you wouldn't believe. What else do I have to do?" I joked, knowing the night wouldn't get any better. I know Gael is here, but I haven't seen him. He usually comes to bother me, but maybe he's been busy.

Lily pushed her lips together and sighed. "Ugh. It's pretty slow for me too. Some cheap-o tipped me two dollars on an eighty dollar bill. I hate—"

Lily stopped herself from talking when Zane stood in front of the bar with Vince and Ronnie behind him. They stood post, keeping quiet as Zane had a pissy look on his face.

"Lily, I don't pay you to stand here and chit-chat. Go tend to my bar." His assertive voice traveled over the music. But it made me angrier, seeing how he talked to her and how he must've wanted me alone. I had nothing to say to him at this point.

"You don't pay m—" She cut herself off and continued. "Okay, sir."

While Zane waited for her to walk away, he stared at me with disgust. Sometimes I could read what's on people's minds by their facial expressions, but I couldn't read him. And I wasn't sure if I wanted to.

"Just because of the recent information you just found out doesn't mean you can slack and talk to other employees on the clock." He urged, gripping his hands on the bartop.

I blanked out. "Are you watching me? You've barely said two words before I found out and now what I'm doing is a problem? We're both bartenders, and she needed something." I knew at this rate that anything would fly from my mouth. He makes me so fucking mad, and I can't seem to control it.

Zane gritted his teeth. "You must not know who you're talking to. Need I remind you?"

"You're right," I deeply swallowed. "But now I feel like you're just picking on me. What did you really come over here to say?"

Zane devilishly laughed, looking back at his men. "I don't sugar coat anything, Cassandra. And I'm telling you once that your attitude is rubbing me the wrong fucking way. You've been here a few months, yeah? You should know that I don't play games and people beneath me don't talk to me how you're doing now."

"I'm also asking you if there's something else that you need to say. Because, as you said, I shouldn't be slacking while on the clock." I snapped back. It's fine that he didn't want me, but you do not get to rub that in my face and be an asshole.

"I'm here to get my bracelet back." Said Zane.

Confidently, I said, "I don't have it."

"Where is it? If it's around Gael's wrist again, when I break it, please be sure to let him know it was your fault."

My nose flared with anger and my legs uncontrollably shook under the table. "I pawned it. I don't want anything from you." I admitted.

"How much did you get for it? And keep in mind that I don't like liars." Zane stiffened his posture, gazing his beady eyes at me. How could I be related to someone like this?

Holding back my frustrated tears, I said, "Three thousand." I got five hundred dollars more, but I don't need to tell him all that. Honestly, I would've taken whatever they offered me because It's all worthless.

Zane aggressively dropped his elbow on the table. "Give me the cash."

"Excuse you?" I blurted.

With a grimacing chuckle, Zane shouted. "Should I speak French? Are you not understanding?"

"No," I slammed my fist on the counter. "Again, I'm not giving you anything. You gave the stupid bracelet to me. Therefore it's mine."

"Either I get the cash in my fucking hand tomorrow, or I take every single tip you make until I get my money. I'm giving you an out right now, and if you don't take it, that's up to you. But that's enough of my warnings." He pushed his index finger in my face as I clenched my jaw. "Maybe your attitude is the reason your parents left."

Are you fucking kidding me?

I remained quiet as my breathing labored. I tried biting my tongue, but my level of frustration was through the roof. That was the most ruthless thing anyone has ever said to me, and I started tearing up. My feelings were badly hurt, and I couldn't seem to catch my breath.

Finally gaining the strength to speak, I said, "Are w-we done?"

As he walked away, I stood in place, feeling what's left of my my heart break off. I didn't want to cause a scene, but it was hard to hide it. At least, it wasn't busy, and I didn't have customers breathing down my neck. I needed a drink, but I knew Zane would have people watching and have another reason to get on me. God. I need to get out of here. I can't do this anymore.

I ran my finger underneath my eye and took a deep breath. I just needed to get through this shift, and I can do this. I can.

"Hey beautiful," I jumped out of my skin, hearing Matt's voice come out of nowhere. "You're crying? Why?" He asked. I was not in the mood to deal with him right now or anyone, but I'm still at work.

I shook my head and avoided eye contact until my eyes aired out. I tried getting myself together because Matt is my biggest spender. He'll tip me for being so nice to him, and I need it badly, mostly if I wanted to get out of this stupid ass club.

When our eyes connected, I took in his appearance, seeing he had on an expensive suit, his cufflinks undone, and shirt exposing his chest hairs. He took a seat on the stool, obviously checking me out as usual.

In a low voice, I mumbled. "It's just been a long day, but I'm fine."

"Want to talk about it?" He asked, feeling like we knew each other long enough to disclose personal information. I mean, he's vented to me plenty of times, but I can't do that.

"Rather not," I forced a smile, hoping that was enough not to run him away. "Your regular?"

I grabbed a glass and set it in front of him as he continued gawking at me. "Please," He said. "While you do that, answer this. Why haven't you accepted my date offer? I can get you out of this place."

Scooping ice, I said, "I've been in a rough spot lately, Matt." Yes, I want nothing more than to quit and leave this behind me, but not this way. Not with him, but I can't tell him that.

I went to grab Vodka and noticed I was running low. Matt was the only customer that prefers Ketel One Vodka and a light splash of club soda.

I stepped away from the bar. "I'll be right back. Ran out of your favorite." As soon as I tried heading to the supply closet, Matt ran over to me, gently grabbing my wrist.

With my back against the bar, he circled his way in front of me. "Leave with me, and I'll make it all better. You're so beautiful." He placed his hand on my shoulders, taking me by surprise.

I faintly laughed and deeply swallowed. "Make what better, Matt? I'm fine. I'm just going to get your Vodka." I mumbled under my breath. I could smell the alcohol seeping from his skin. He must've been drinking somewhere else before coming here.

"Whatever you're going through," His tall figure shadowed over me as his hands grazed lower. I knew he wouldn't try anything that I wouldn't agree to because he seemed like a decent guy. And there are so many people around. But I played along, hoping his tip would cover my entire night. "A beautiful woman like yourself shouldn't be in a club like this. I'd love to give you the world."

While he remained close, I slowly tried backing away. "That's really sweet of you to say."

That didn't last long because he moved forward, holding me by the waist. I gulped, glancing over my shoulder to look at anyone that was near.

"So, what do you say?" Matt said in a throaty whisper.

I choked. "That I have to run to the supply closet." I kept the smile on my face.

"I come in here every day for you. Maybe my tip will change your mind?" He said to me, whispering closely to my ear.

"I'm flattered, Matt, but I don't depend on anyone. I'm here for work, and I'm going to do that." He kept begging like he would have trouble getting a woman, but I simply wasn't interested. I'm a bartender, and I live off tips, so I'm going to get them.

Before I could break the news, Matt's body yanked away from me. "Why the fuck are you touching her?" Gael said as my eyes widened. I didn't see him all night, and now he shows up.

Once Matt caught his balance, he matched Gael's tone. "Dude, what the hell is your problem?"

"You," Gael said, clenching his jaw without removing his eyes. "If you ever lay a finger on her again."

Matt ran his hands down his navy suit and cracked his neck. "You're taking your job a little too seriously. She didn't mind. Now back off." He said with a sharp tone in his voice.

I remained quiet, unsure what to say. Yes, customers aren't allowed to touch us, but I was doing my job. But Gael is making a scene, and I don't need Zane to continue finding a way to scold me.

"She is my fucking job, and next time, you'll never step foot in here again." Gael blurted, continuing to add fuel to the fire. His deep voice was loud enough to get anyone's attention.

What the fuck did he mean by that? I'm his job. Seriously? As if I wasn't already pissed off, that made me feel some way. And it wasn't good. 

"You sure about that?" Matt aggressively pushed himself in Gael's face like children.

Gael shoved him back as I yelled, "Gael, stop!" My voice must have echoed throughout the club because more eyes were on us. It's like people feed on drama and do anything to make the situation worse.

Matt just laughed. "I would listen to her, kid. You don't know me."

"And you think I give a fuck?" Gael barked. "And don't call me a damn kid."

"You have my number," Matt glanced at me, seeing how distraught and embarrassed I was. "Don't forget about what we talked about. I'll think about telling Zane about his employees here. After all, I am one of his favorite customers."

I swallowed the lump stuck in my throat. "Matt, don't. Please." I begged, not wanting to stir the pot anymore.

Matt kept his eyes glued to Gael and said, "You're lucky I like her because I can make your life hell. You can do anything with money, but I take it by the job that you wouldn't know that."

What the fuck is up with today? Are everyone and everything trying to piss me off and make my life harder than it already is? I already had a bad attitude, and this just made it ten times worse. Gael caused a scene, Matt making asshole comments, and I'm out of a tip. I shouldn't have worked tonight. It's fucking pointless. Everything in my life is pointless. Why even try?

And then Zane had the nerve to disrespect me.

"Is that right?" Gael went to raise his fist, but Matt walked away to leave.

I stomped back behind the bar, anger rushing through my body. I can't seem to catch a fucking break anywhere I go. Now, I'm sure I'm going to hear from Zane.

"What the hell was that?" I questioned Gael as he lingered around the bar, probably unsure what to say.

He fanned out his hands. "What do you think? I didn't want him touching you, and he's not supposed to. Club rules."

I sarcastically laughed. "Right, the rules that you've broken so many times?" I slammed my hand on the counter. "And what did you mean about me being your job? Is that what I am to you? A fucking job, Gael?" Here it comes. I know when I'm mad when I can't control what to say or think. I've mentally had enough.

Gael took a second to think. "I didn't mean anything by it, Cassie. Can we not do this right now? We're at work. "

"Then why did you say it?" I questioned, blinking away unwanted tears. It seemed like all I fucking did was cry now. "If this is a joke to you, then I'm not forcing you to stay."

"I just fucking told you that I didn't mean anything by it. It slipped because I was pissed." Gael said to me, raising his voice over the music.

I jumped from his tone. "Matt didn't do anything."

"So, you're defending him like I didn't see shit? He had his hands all on your waist, and you just let him. But if someone here did that to me, you'd be fine with it, right? Okay." He said.

With an angered sigh, I exclaimed. "No, Gael. I'm doing my job. He's my biggest tripper, and you probably just ruined that for me. Why? Why if I'm such a damn job to you." Just as I knew I would, I started crying. I knew it was a bad idea at work, but he hurt my feelings. Gael fucking knows how much I like him, and he doesn't want to do shit about it. But got jealous when I'm only trying to get money to pay my bills? I only want him, and he's making it seem like I'm out here trying to fuck that up with someone at a bar that I barely know.

Gael raked his hands through his hair and turned around. When he faced me again, he said, "I just told you."

I rapidly shook my head, poking my tongue to my cheek. "You can't do that, Gael. Even if I wasn't doing my job, you don't have a say. What am I supposed to do? Wait until you want something more with me?"

"Where the hell is this coming from, Cassie?" Gael stressed.

I slightly raised my voice. "I'm just so over everything. I'm over this fucking job, Zane, and me doing everything with and for you, and you still don't want me. I'm giving up. I can't do this anymore."

"It's not even like that," He pushed, sharply furrowing his eyebrows and pinching the bridge of his nose. "Will you chill the hell out and listen to me?"

I shook my head, being stubborn. "No, I have to finish working and try to make money tonight." I turned in the opposite direction and palmed my forehead.

Gael kept trying to speak to me, but I started wiping down the bar, ignoring him. "You know what? Fuck it."

I shut my eyes, knowing he walked away from the silence behind me. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.8K 1.2K 47
~"You don't- you don't need me." I stared in shock. This was the first shred of emotion he'd shown since he started avoiding me, and I had no idea ho...
3.7M 131K 91
No one deserves to be stuck in a complicated love triangle with their arranged husband and his girlfriend, especially not Kyra Casella, a broken youn...
5.5K 427 31
"Not screwing as in ongoing. It was a one time... or two time thing," I cringe at how slutty that makes me sound. "I was a little drunk... the second...