Hidden Within

By cammie_grace

"I want to give you all the love you deserve." ___ Hadley Carter... More

introduction
1 | the unspoken rule
2 | the beginning
3 | better now
4 | not enough
5 | after everything
6 | stolen moments
7 | fades to nothing
8 | so wrong
9 | easier to pretend
10 | reality
11 | forget it
12 | it just takes time
13 | in this moment
14 | more
15 | the worst thing
16 | the truth
17 | darkness
18 | safe space
19 | real
20 | last words
21 | one step ahead
22 | ruined
23 | wishing for
24 | all along
25 | between you and me
26 | eternity
27 | fallen apart
28 | happy
29 | consequences
30 | the worst gifts
31 | last second
32 | lose it
33 | helpless
34 | worth living for
35 | leap of faith
36 | won't last
37 | so lucky
39 | prayers
40 | alone together
41 | twisted games
42 | stolen
43 | walk away
44 | surreal
45 | breathless
46 | free
47 | always
epilogue
without limits - bonus chapter
sequel
falling stars

38 | snake

6.2K 312 14
By cammie_grace

"I can't decide," Mason whines, gazing intently at the rack of dresses and skirts before her. "Why is shopping so hard?"

"I don't know," I retort, frowning down at the few selections I have draped over my arm. "I can't decide what to wear, either."

Mason and I decided to look for homecoming dresses together, considering she and I are the only two out of our friend group planning to wear a dress. Neither of us can seem to make a decision as to what we want to buy, so this is the second time we've gone out in hopes of finding an outfit.

"Maybe I should look at something other than dresses," Mason murmurs. "I'm having no luck."

"I'm not, either," I admit. "It's weird, having the option to choose for myself."

Mason raises a dark eyebrow, her expression asking what I mean. "Choose for yourself . . .?"

It dawns on me that Mason doesn't know much about my history with Delaney. She doesn't know the details of what a friendship with Delaney entails, nor does she know how Delaney manipulated me for months.

"When I would hang out with Delaney," I clarify, "she would always plan a color scheme and dress type for us to wear to dances and other social events. So we'd all coordinate. I guess I've never really had the chance to pick my own dress for a dance before . . . That sounds really stupid now that I'm saying it out loud."

Mason's gaze is filled with sympathy as she gazes at me, pity shining like sunlight through a stained glass window in her irises.

"Delaney is a bitch," Mason blurts. "I don't know how you put up with her for so long. I'm sorry you had to. If this is your first time picking out a dress for a dance, then I'm going to help you find the perfect one!"

I smile, a gesture Mason doesn't hesitate to return. She and I wander through the store for a few moments longer, helping to find outfits we think suit the other. Once we finally have a handful of options we're happy with, the two of us head to the dressing rooms.

"I can't get my bra off!" Mason cries through the fitting room door. "I think it's stuck or something."

I stifle laughter before responding, undressing to put on the dresses I have picked out. I try on two in a row, studying my reflection in the mirror before taking them right back off, unhappy with the outcome of how they fit.

I slip the third dress over my head, then turn to the mirror. I nearly gasp at my reflection, taken by surprise when I find I actually like the dress. It's rather simple, a baby blue A-line with a strapped back, the bodice made of suede material. It's the same shade of blue as my eyes, making my irises appear more piercing than usual. The skirt hits just a few inches above the knee, revealing my long legs. It fits perfectly. For the first time in forever, I actually feel pretty.

I exit the dressing room just as Mason does the same. We turn to face each other in excitement. Mason is stunning in the black two-piece she's wearing, the dark color bringing out her hazel eyes and making her sharp features more prominent.

"You look amazing!" I exclaim, grinning. "That really suits you, Mase."

"Look at you!" Mason squeals. "Wow, Hadley! You're breathtaking. That dress is definitely the one."

"You think so?" I question. I turn to the mirror hanging on the wall opposite the dressing room stalls, studying my reflection once more.

"I know so," Mason reassures me. "Devon's jaw is going to fall on the floor when she sees you."

I laugh, blushing at the comment. Mason and I talk briefly before she returns to her fitting room to change after deciding she's going to buy the two-piece she tried on. I linger outside of my stall, staring at myself in the mirror, wishing for the happiness I'm feeling now to never fade.

As I turn to enter my changing room, the sound of a familiar laugh grabs my attention. A chill runs down my spine as I glance toward the center of the store, gaze wandering past the racks of clothes to see if I can spot the creator of the sound.

A voice diverts my attention to the left corner of the store. I freeze as I catch a glimpse of the three girls I have been trying my best to avoid lately. I see Grace shifting through dresses as she laughs, having yet to notice me. Next to her is Bianca, who gazes down at her phone before tapping Grace's shoulder to show her the screen, the two of them promptly bursting into laughter once again. I find Delaney standing to the right of the girls, shocked to find her staring right back at me.

I swallow hard as I hold her gaze. Her green eyes are stony and cold, unflinching. I am paralyzed with fear as she stares me down, unable to make myself look away. Delaney's features harden, pinching with distaste and anger. She narrows her eyes, lips curling downward into a frown.

Her expression speaks without her having to say a word. Delaney hadn't been lying when she'd told me she would ruin me. She meant every word she said that night at the party. I've always known Delaney was cold and ruthless, careful and calculating, as venomous as a cobra.

She's a snake, hiding in the bushes, waiting for the perfect time to strike.

___

a/n: someone in my girlfriend's home contracted covid, which means we're stuck quarantining together. we're only on day one, so i'm wondering if she's going to drive me crazy while we're forced to be together 24/7 or if i'm going to secretly enjoy it. probably the latter. hehe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.8K 2K 10
MILLIE HART Quiet. Shy. Nerd. Prude. That's what everyone calls me while turning up their noses at me. Even if it's true, I don't care. I have a pla...
183K 9.1K 39
Sugar McKenzie and August Wakefield couldn't be more different - Sugar, a meticulous, caring, but lonely paramedic and August, a charming former real...
414K 16K 66
• Rhea just finished her first year of college, but with a strained relationship with her parents... she has no home to come back to during summer br...
112K 4K 39
Do you believe in love at first sight? Hadley is just a woman. A woman living her dream. She has her best friend beside her and a career for which sh...