(1) Brothers (A Harry Potter...

By WritinSinsNTragedies

Best Rankings | #1 in OlderHarry | #1 in HarryBlack | #6 in HarryxFleur Harrison Black and his half-brother... More

October 31, 1984
August 12, 1995
August 28, 1995
September 1, 1995
September 4, 1995
September 15, 1995
October 31, 1995
November 4, 1995
December 24, 1995
December 25, 1995 - Part 1
December 25, 1995 - Part 2
December 26, 1995 - Part 1
December 26, 1995 - Part 2
January 1, 1996
January 13, 1996
January 15, 1996
January 19, 1996
January 20, 1996
February 10, 1996
March 22, 1996
April 6, 1996
May 1, 1996 - Part 1
May 1, 1996 - Part 2
May 5, 1996
May 18, 1996
May 20, 1996
May 21, 1996 - Part 1
May 21, 1996 - Part 2
May 23, 1996
June 8, 1996
Sequel

December 22, 1995

1.9K 44 15
By WritinSinsNTragedies

Harry knew that something strange was going on, and now it was certain. Over the past two months, since the first quidditch match of the year, Harvey and his friends seemed to always be up to something. He had found them, many times, giving Snape strange looks, and they were always whispering. Initially, Harry had assumed that the three of them were just being eleven-year-olds until his mother informed him of Hermione and Harvey's accusations.

The idea that Snape would go out of his way to physically hurt Harvey seemed ridiculous. The man despised James with his whole being, that was clear, but the feelings that Snape also harboured for his mother was also obviously clear. Every time Snape would see Lily, his whole demeanour would change. It didn't matter how much Snape hated James; he would never hurt Lily's son.

What Harry agreed with, though, was the jinxing of Harvey's broom. The broom had been carefully checked to assure both James and Lily that the broom was safe for Harvey to ride, which meant that someone had targeted Harvey during the game. Flint was his first thought, but the type of jinx that was used needed eye contact, unbroken eye contact, and there was no way Flint would have had the time to do it. There was the probability that he had convinced another housemate to do it, but most of Flint's friends were all bark with no bite. They were left with the question of whom would want Harvey dead or injured?

Harry had spent some time considering the question. Looking for other students or teachers that might have a problem with Harvey or even their mother and James. An old grudge or school rivalry, but nothing seemed to fit. It was Ron, in their friend group, who was more aggressive. Harvey seemed to spend a lot of his time reigning his friend in than starting arguments of his own.

It was Will who provided a more plausible thought just before they were heading home for Christmas. Harry and his friends were hanging out in one of the hallways, classes were over, they were all packed and ready to head down to the train, but that wasn't for another hour or so. They all had decided to find a quiet spot to just chill. Snow was falling, and Hogwarts was covered in a white blanket forcing everyone to rug up. Harry was leaning against the wall, his nose buried in his scarf as he tried to keep the frost at bay. Carlisle was sitting on the floor opposite him with Amelia on his lap; Cedric was playing exploding snap with Jenna and Dylan beside them.

Will had arrived late but with hot cocoa from the kitchens for everyone. He walked over to Harry last and handed him a cup, and leant against the wall with him.

"Jenna was telling me that you are having sibling troubles," said Will.

Harry sighed. Out of all his friends, Will was probably the easiest to talk to about having a younger brother. He had his own younger brother, Blaise, who had also started Hogwarts that year. The two of them butted heads on most things.

"You could say that," said Harry. He took a sip of the hot beverage and sighed as it warmed his chest.

"What's being happening?" asked Will.

Harry sighed and let his head fall back against the wall. He said, "It seems that Harvey just attracts trouble."

"Are you referring to the quidditch match?" questioned Will.

Harry nodded. "That, and the fact that he ended up fighting a troll on Halloween. And now, somehow, he has become convinced that Snape is either trying to kill him or has other sinister plans." He took another sip of his drink.

Will laughed. "Snape wouldn't bother wasting his time trying to kill him."

"That's what I said."

"What are these possible sinister plans?"

Harry shrugged. "I have no clue. My mum told me that Hermione—"

"Is that the frizzy-haired girl?"

Harry nodded. "Yeah, that she and Harvey said, after the match, that Snape was the one to jinx Harvey's broom."

"Interesting. Have you asked Harvey about this?"

"No." Harry furrowed his brow and stood up, pushing off the wall.

"Why not?"

Harry pushed his fingers through his hair and said, "I am supposed to be focusing on my apprenticeship, not chasing the brat and his crazy ideas around."

Will smirked knowingly. He said, "As an older sibling, you are expected to do both."

"I never asked to be an older sibling," grumbled Harry.

"None of us did."

"I always wanted a sibling," called Cedric, looking up from the game he was playing.

Carlisle scoffed. "You can have mine."

"And mine," added Harry.

Cedric shook his head. "I think I would have preferred a sister."

"Maybe you should take Amelia's sister."

Amelia frowned. "Pansy can be a pain, but unlike the rest of you, I get along with my sibling."

"Regardless," said Jenna, "I think you may have to actually talk to your brother."

Harry sighed and finished the rest of his drink. He didn't want to. It would sound childish if anyone else told him that 'they didn't want to' he would roll his eyes and tell them to suck it up. Whatever was happening needed to be worked out, Harry didn't want to spend the rest of the year dealing with Harvey and his ridiculous mindset, and there would be plenty of opportunities to talk to Harvey over the break.

The Christmas holidays were always insane. The whole week that Harry would spend at home was filled with dinners, parties and family celebrations. Christmas Eve Harry would always spend the evening with his grandparents, Orion and Walburga Black.

Harry knew about the difficult childhood that his father had experienced at the hands of his parents. The strict beliefs of blood purity and tradition were forced upon him, but when Sirius refused and broke whatever traditions he could, rebelled against their rules, it destroyed any form of relationship they had ever had. It wasn't until two years after Sirius had fled from Grimmauld Place that he was contacted by his father.

Orion Black hadn't been as harsh as Walburga had; his displeasure had been relayed in the form of silence and stern looks. He hadn't stopped his wife from burning Sirius from the tapestry, and he hadn't stopped when Walburga hurled insults towards him. The letter that Sirius received had been something that Sirius had almost believed wasn't real, a heartfelt apology. It had taken months before Sirius agreed to meet them to talk and years before Sirius had allowed them to spend more than a few minutes with Harry.

Walburga still held firm to her pure-blood beliefs and seemed to enjoy making snarky comments whenever Sirius was around but having a grandchild did seem to force her to calm down somewhat. Orion just kept his opinions to himself. It made Christmas Eve an awkward but somewhat pleasant time. Harry was always given expensive gifts by his grandparents, and he was always polite and made sure to keep any possibly dangerous topic—for example, his mother—off the table.

Christmas day was always spent with his parents. He and Sirius would spend the morning together, having breakfast and open presents before joining up with the Potters. They always took turns, but some years the Potters would travel to White Oak Manor, and then on the next year, Harry and Sirius would go to Godric's Hollow. It was Lily's turn to host them, and so lunch would be a big event, with mostly like additions such as the Weasleys and Remus.

The last thing that Harry and Sirius had to do was attend the Black family Christmas celebration. A large ball that had every single Black family relative attend. No matter how small the relation, everyone was invited. Harry hated it, having to smile and be polite to witches and wizards that he hardly knew but was somehow related. Carlisle attending with his family was the only relief he had. There was no escaping it either or faking sick to avoid it; his grandmother made sure of that.

Within all the chaos that would happen over the next week, Harry would need to find a time to talk to Harvey.

"I think we should start heading for the train," said Cedric. He had packed up his cards and was standing.

"Already?" asked Jenna.

"I still have to get my trunk from my common room," said Cedric.

"Me too," said Amelia.

Harry followed his friends and thought about the train ride. It would be easy if he could get this talk over sooner rather than later; he would just need to find Harvey on the train.

*

*

*

Harvey sat in a compartment that he found with Hermione and Ron. The three of them had arrived late to the train after, once again, Neville Longbottom lost his frog. They had managed to find Trevor hiding under a table in the Gryffindor common room and only just made it aboard the train. Neville had thanked them profusely before disappearing down the carriage, leaving the trio alone.

Since the train had left the station, Harvey hadn't been able to stop thinking about Nicholas Flamel. What exactly he had to do with everything was still unknown, but Harvey was hoping they would have been able to find something in the library.

The trio had been lucky that Hagrid had slipped up. Harvey had been the one to mention the strange happenings they had experienced since the year had started and how they believed Snape was up to no good. Hagrid had seemed a bit perturbed by the suggestion that a teacher would intentionally harm a student and in his fluster to try and halt them in their tracks; he had let it out that whatever Fluffy was guarding was between Albus Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel. So far, the trio hadn't been able to find out anything more about the mysterious man other than that he knew Professor Dumbledore. They had searched the library up and down, all but the restricted section. Hermione seemed convinced that they would be able to find something there, but it would have to wait until after their Christmas holidays.

The one thing that was bothering Harvey is that everything seemed to just happen by accident. Learning that there was something hidden at Hogwarts he only knew because he had overheard his father speaking with Hagrid, stumbling upon the three-headed-dog, Fluffy, who apparently was Hagrid's pet, therefore realizing that Snape had attempted to get past the dog and get himself bitten, and then Hagrid slipping up and mentioning Flamel's name when he was trying to reassure the three of them that Snape wasn't the bad guy. It all felt rather odd, but then again, he did keep getting himself into these situations.

"Harvey, what are your plans for Christmas?" asked Hermione. She had closed the book she had been burying her nose in and had it resting on her lap.

"Mum and Dad always have a big Christmas lunch with Ron's family and my Uncle Remus. My brother and his dad come too," said Harvey.

Hermione frowned. "I didn't know you had a brother."

Harvey frowned, realizing his slip up. He knew that Harry didn't want it spread around that they were brothers; he didn't entirely understand why but he had tried to keep it to himself in hopes that it would give him good brother points.

Ron said, "Really? I thought that since you knew Harry, you knew."

Hermione's frown lines seemed to thicken. "Harry, as in Harry Black?"

Ron nodded.

She looked at Harvey. "Harry's your brother?"

There wasn't much he could do now. Ron had just confirmed it. Harvey nodded. "Yeah, he's my half-brother."

"Wow," she mumbled. "I had no idea."

Ron scoffed. "That's because Harrison..." he sneered the name, "doesn't like it when other people know that they are related."

Harvey sighed. Ron had never understood Harry; then again, neither did Harvey, but he tried. Ron seemed determined to have Harvey forget about his older brother and just act like he didn't exist. There had been many conversations where Harvey had listened to his friend rave about how he wished his brothers didn't live with him.

"I'm sure there is more to it than that," said Hermione. She pulled her book up to her chest, her frown showing more concern than anything. "Harvey, do you two share a difficult relationship?"

Harvey shrugged. He hated admitting that his brother didn't like him. "It's complicated...well, that's what Mum says." He scratched the back of his head and turned to look out the window.

Before the year had started at Hogwarts, Harvey had managed to convince himself that once he and Harry were both in school, things would change. They would see more of each other, they could bond over Quidditch and classes, and if Harvey ended up enjoying potions as much as his brother, than he could include that too. His mum had smiled at him and told him to never lose that hope, and it wasn't the first time she told him that. She also always said that he shouldn't push Harry, but that wasn't just another thing he wasn't certain about.

A harsh rap on the door of their compartment made Harvey jump. If it had been one of their friends, they would have just pushed on in. But Ron's huff and Hermione's surprised gasp, Harvey was surprised to see Harry standing outside the door.

Harry pulled it open, and half stepped inside. He was dressed like a Black—that was what Harvey's father had called it. Black slacks, a dark grey button-up, and a black blazer. Gone was the youngest Hogwarts student and now stood the heir to the house of Black.

Harvey had wondered if, when he was older, would he be required to dress more formally. His father had rolled his eyes and said that only snobs did that. Harvey wouldn't consider Harry a snob, though, or Uncle Sirius.

"What do you want?" grumbled Ron.

Harry glared at him and said, "To speak to Harvey, get out."

Ron's mouth dropped open in a large 'o', and his face turned red.

"Now," snapped Harry.

"Ron, please just go," said Harvey. He didn't need Ron to start a fight with Harry.

Ron huffed and jumped up. He whacked his shoulder against Harry's and marched off down the carriage.

Harry rolled his eyes at his behaviour before turning to Hermione. "If you wouldn't mind, Miss Granger?"

Hermione nodded and hopped up. "Of course."

Once she had stepped out of the compartment, Harry closed and locked the door. He moved and stood opposite Harvey, and as he sat, he unbuttoned his blazer.

"Is something wrong?" asked Harvey. It was strange for Harry to approach him in such a way.

Harry ran his fingers through his hair and leant forward on his knees. "I received an owl from Mum," he said. "She informed me that you have become convinced that Professor Snape is trying to kill you."

Harvey wasn't sure what to say. He knew that their mum had taken Harry aside and requested that Harry keep him safe. Harvey had just assumed that it meant making sure he didn't try and sneak into the Dark Forest or get caught up by other students. It did make sense that Harry wouldn't want him to cause trouble for Snape either; after all, the man was his mentor.

"He has been acting very suspicious," mumbled Harvey.

Harry sighed. "How so?"

"Halloween night, when we fort the troll, he had blood running down his leg."

"And?"

"My quidditch game. Hermione swears that she saw him staring at me and that he wasn't blinking when my broom went all crazy."

"So, your evidence is a bit of blood and eye contact?"

Harvey frowned. It did sound stupid when said like that. He huffed and said, "Before the troll incident, Ron, Hermione and I were going back to the Gryffindor Common Room when the staircase changed on us, and we ended up in the third-floor corridor."

"Do you mean the one that Dumbledore said was forbidden?"

Harvey nodded. "Yeah, that one. We heard someone coming and tried to hide, we ran into a locked door and Hermione, being Hermione, unlocked it and we hid inside. Only to discover a massive three-headed-dog behind it. Turns out that its name is Fluffy and that it is Hagrid's. We escaped without being eaten by the thing, and Hermione pointed out that it was standing on a trap door and that it is probably guarding something. Then, on Halloween night, when the troll got in, Snape turns up with a bleeding leg. I think he let the troll in to distract everyone so that he could try and get whatever is hidden under the trap door, but the dog bit him."

Harry stared at Harvey, unsure. He rubbed his chin before letting out a sigh. He said, "What makes you think something is under the trap door?"

Harvey frowned. "Why else keep the dog in that room? And I also overheard Dad talking to Hagrid the day we went to Diagon Alley. Apparently, he removed something from Gringotts. And then, I also saw in the Daily Profit that Gringotts also got broken into and that the vault they tried to steal from had also been emptied that same day. I don't think that was a coincidence."

Harry nodded his head slowly.

Harvey wasn't sure if there was anything else he could say. If Harry didn't believe him, then he doubted anyone else would either.

"That does sound odd," said Harry.

Harvey smiled; Harry believed him.

"But I do have one question."

Harvey nodded.

"What could be hidden under there that Snape would want so desperately?" asked Harry.

Harvey shrugged. They didn't know. "I don't know. All we managed to get out of Hagrid was that it has something to do with Nicholas Flamel."

Harry's eyes seemed to light up. His nostrils flared, and he clenched his fists.

"What's wrong?" asked Harvey. "Do you know who this Flamel person is?"

Harry nodded. "That I do." He stood and buttoned up his blazer.

"Who is he?"

Harry moved towards the door and flipped the lock.

"Wait, Harry-"

"No," said Harry, cutting him off. "I will handle this. Don't drag your friends into whatever is going on. Just enjoy the break, and when we get back to school, you can just go about classes as normal."

Harvey frowned. "But Harry-"

"I said, no." Harry gave him a firm stare before turning and walk out of the compartment.

He wanted to chase after him and tell him that he had to let him help. There was no way, after everything they had worked out, that he could just go back to classes as normal. Harvey flopped onto the chair and huffed. He would find out who Flamel is on his own and what Fluffy is guarding.

*

*

*

The Hogwarts Express pulled into the station in the evening. Harry was tired and ready for a good sleep in his bed. The ride had been long, and he had listened to Carlisle, Will, and Dylan all argue over the rules of Exploding Snap for too long. It wasn't unusual that his friends would argue and claim someone else cheated, it is just what they did, and most days, it wouldn't bother him. Harry would laugh and just focus on his book.

His mood had been turned sour after he had spoken to Harvey. They had been on the train for about an hour before he ditched his friends and wandered down the carriages until he found Harvey sitting with Ron and Hermione.

Harry was glad that Hermione seemed to have finally made some friends, who those friends were though he did question. Ronald Weasley had bullied her, after all, but she had insisted that Ron thought she was intentionally trying to make him feel dumb. And after the troll where Ron was a factor in saving her life, everything was water under the bridge.

It had been more surprising what Harvey had told him. Three-headed-dog on the third-floor corridor, trap door, secret Hogwarts business. It was all messy and annoyingly possible that Harvey had stumbled upon something. Harvey knew that the third floor had to have something hidden down it. Otherwise, it would have been no problem for students to wander about. Everything that his brother had said did make some sort of sense; he just didn't believe that it was Snape who was involved.

If Harvey was correct and it was something to do with Nicholas Flamel, then it had to be the Philosophers Stone that was being protected. It could turn any metal into gold and produce the elixir of life. Both options would be intriguing to any witch or wizard, unending wealth and life, it would make things easier for a lot of people, but Snape never seemed to care for money or for long life. The man would have preferred to spend day after day in his potion's lab with no interruptions; Harry couldn't believe he would want internal life.

What Harry did know was that something needed to be done. The fact that Dumbledore had decided that it was wise to keep such a thing in the school was ridiculous. Any number of dangerous witches or wizards could track the stone down and try and find a way to get it, i.e., kidnap a student and demand it as ransom. He planned to speak to his father about this and perhaps even his mother and James; he would just need to try and keep Harvey out of it in the process.

As Harry stepped off the train, Carlisle clapped him on the shoulder and said, "I guess I will see you for the Black Celebratory Ball?" he cringed.

Harry sighed. "That you will. Are you bringing Amelia with you?" Plus-ones were allowed if approved, and as a pure-blood herself, Amelia wouldn't get rejected.

Carlisle shook his head. "Nope, she is off to France with her family for the week."

"That sounds like fun," added Jenna. She stopped beside them with a bag slung over her shoulder. "I have to spend way too much time dealing with extended family that I really don't like."

Harry smirked. "So do I."

"You will survive a day with your brother," snipped Jenna.

Harry shrugged. "We shall see."

Carlisle chuckled and once more clapped his shoulder. "I see my parents have a good Christmas."

Harry nodded. "You too."

"And I see my sister," Amelia sighed, "wish me luck dealing with aunts and uncles who will spend more time criticizing my sisters choice of career than spreading love and cheer."

Harry smiled and pulled her in for a hug.

"Oh," she said, surprised.

"Enjoy it while you can," he grumbled. It wasn't often that he would hug anyone, normally Amelia and Jenna were forcing him into such a thing, but he could see that Jenna needed just that something extra.

"I will. Have a good Christmas," said Jenna.

Harry waved her off and started down the platform until he found his father. Sirius was standing with Lily and Remus, but no James. Harry felt relieved that there would be no awkward conversation to be had.

"Harry," cried Lily. She yanked him into a tight hug and kissed his cheek. "I missed you."

Harry relaxed into her hug and smiled. "I missed you too."

"Get off my son," said Sirius, a small laugh falling from his lips, "I need a hug too."

Harry rolled his eyes and stepped back from his mother to hug him. "You're a child," he mumbled.

Sirius smirked and squeezed him. "Well, one of us should be."

Lily sighed, a small frown pulling at her eyebrows. "You shouldn't be the child in this relationship, Sirius."

"Lily, I think by now you should expect Padfoot to never really grow up," said Remus. He placed a hand on her shoulder and squeezed.

"Mum!" Harvey's voice carried over the noise of other parents and students, and he barrelled through them to hug her.

Harry frowned as the three adults, turned to the younger boy and hugged him.

"Did Mum tell you about my quidditch game?" asked Harvey; he looked between Sirius and Remus.

Sirius nodded. "She sure did. I'm bummed that I missed it."

"She said that you did a spectacular job catching the snitch; sounds like you're just like your dad," said Remus.

Harry clenched his jaw and took a small step back. He was used to the adults focusing their attention on Harvey, his mother, more so than anyone else, but it was moments like this that made him angry. His mind would instantly start comparing how his family would treat him verse Harvey. When Harry had caught his first snitch, only his father had been there to see it. Sirius, of course, had celebrated loudly and did what any excited parent would do. The rest of the adults didn't really say much. His mother had sent him a letter saying congratulations, but it was never mentioned again. But for Harvey, both Lily and James had shown up. All the adults were gushing over him. What Harvey had done, any good player could have done. It didn't make him special, just lucky that he didn't splat face-first onto the ground. It wasn't the first time, and Harry knew it probably wouldn't be the last.

He tried to shake off the anger, the jealously. He tried to remember how he had felt watching the game, an older brother who was proud that his younger brother had accomplished something like that. But he couldn't.

"Harry, you okay?"

A hand touched Harry's arm, and he stepped back. He locked eyes with his father's concerned ones and shook his head.

"I'm fine," said Harry.

Sirius clenched his teeth and frowned. "Why don't I believe that?"

Harry didn't want to talk about this. He glanced over his father's shoulder and saw Remus, Lily and Harvey all looking at him. They looked so confused. His anger flared, and he wanted to yell at them, all of them. They knew what they were doing! But he didn't.

"I'm tired. Can we go home," he said. His clenched fists were starting to ache, and he wanted to leave before everything bubbled over.

Sirius nodded. "Yeah, of course. Do you have everything?"

Harry nodded. "Yes."

"Okay...ahh, Lily, we will see you all on Christmas?" said Sirius.

Lily offered a smile. "Yeah, lunch is at 1."

"Great," said Sirius.

Harry pushed past his family and walked towards the apparition point; he needed to leave. He heard the faint goodbyes from his mother and Remus before he felt his father grab his shoulder, and they were sucked away. They landed in the entrance hall of White Oak Manor, and Harry stumbled forward.

"Harry..."

"I'm fine," Harry snapped.

Sirius frowned. "No, you're not."

"I just want to be left alone." Harry walked away, headed towards his room. He didn't want to do anything but scream, and it was all too much. He stumbled up the stairs and found his room; he slammed it shut and flicked the lock before falling onto his bed.

The anger hurt inside his chest; it ached and screamed to be let out. Harry tried to take a deep breath to calm himself, but it only seemed to make it worse. A tear escaped the corner of his eye, and Harry barely held back a sob.

Just once, he wanted it to be him and not Harvey. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.5K 1K 15
A wizard has spent 12 years in a wizarding Prison called Azkaban. For a crime that he did not commit. That wizard is Sirius Black. He learns that Sna...
343K 19.1K 73
Y/n Grindelwald is boy born into a powerful but feared wizarding family. At the age of 11 he has received his invitation to learn magic at the famous...
12.4K 380 15
Where Harry James Potter hopelessly pines after a girl and won't stop asking her out. When history repeats itself and a certain arrogant boy with eme...
44.5K 1.8K 53
Summary: "A second chance," Death said. Harry stopped in front of a bench and turned to look at the being. "A second chance at what?" "Life." Harry l...