May 21, 1996 - Part 2

The sun had only just set when Quirrell finally stood up. They had been waiting in the unused classroom all day; Harry's stomach had been grumbling, but he hadn't bothered to ask for food. Quirrell seemed content just sitting on his chair, arms resting on his thighs. Neither of them had spoken again, and it had been a long and boring wait. But Quirrell's sudden movement did startle Harry slightly; he hadn't expected the Professor to suddenly get up and pull his wand out of his pocket.

Quirrell pointed his want at Harry and said, "Time to go."

Harry wanted to argue, but what was the point. He stood up and moved across the room. The closer he got to the Professor, the more uncomfortable he felt; it was like his body didn't like being that close to the possessed man.

"No funny business," grumbled Quirrell.

Harry just nodded and walked.

The castle was dark and quiet. Every student would be in their Common Rooms by now, most teachers in their own rooms, a few teachers would be doing their nightly patrols. It took him a moment to realise that as they walked through the corridors that he made no noise, Quirrell seemed to have cast a few charms to conceal their movements. However, when they reached the third-floor corridor, the wall sconces sensed their presence and burst to life.

The wand pointing into his back forced Harry to continue walking until they reached the last door at the end of the corridor. Quirrell stepped up to the door and unlocked it, allowing it to swing open.

Harry hadn't seen the massive three-headed dog that Harvey had informed he was called Fluffy. He had assumed that maybe the three first years had exaggerated but no. Before them stood a massive, absolutely gigantic monster. The three heads locked eyes with them and started to growl; drool collected in the mouth of the head on the left, and it started to drip down the side of its mouth. Harry went to take a step back, intent on making sure Quirrell was the one that got eaten when Quirrell stepped past him and produce a small harp from his pocket. With a wave of his wand, the harp grew to full size and then started to play itself. The large beasts growls faded, and its eyes started to droop. It slumped where it stood, a soft snore falling from each of the three heads.

Quirrell let out a small huff of triumph and approached the beast. In its current position, one of its large paws was covering the trap door. With another wave of his wand, Quirrell moved the paw and leant down to open up the trap door. He looked up at Harry and nodded his head.

Harry frowned. "You want me to jump down a black hole?"

Quirrell smirked. "Better you than I."

Harry approached the trap door and cringed. He knew that a number of teachers had assisted Dumbledore with the protections; he could be leaping down into any sort of trap.

"If it helps, as long as you cooperate, I won't turn around and head to find your little brother. Perhaps I'll kill him while he sleeps soundly in his bed, or maybe I'll tie him up here and let Hargid's pet enjoy a nice tasty treat," said Quirrell.

Harry knew he had no choice. Quirrell was a teacher, which meant he knew the password for Gryffindor Tower and could get to Harvey. Looking back down into the black beyond the trap door, he let out a sigh before sitting down on the edge. Taking a breath, he slid off. Cold, damp air rushed past him as he fell down and down. He seemed to fall for a short while before he finally landed on something strangely soft.

The room around him was dark, the air felt heavy, and the light was almost non-existent.

"You still alive?" came Quirrell's voice.

Harry pondered, not replying. If Quirrell though he was dead, maybe he would give up? Harry dismissed the idea immediately; Quirrell wasn't stupid. "It seems so," he called back.