enchanted | a. pendragon [on...

By theilliterateironman

"๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ง๐จ๐ง๐ž ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ฅ๐ข๐ž๐ซ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ง ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ, ๐ฅ๐ข๐š." "๐ข ๐š๐ฆ ๐ง๐จ๐ญ ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ญ๐ก ๐ซ๏ฟฝ... More

p l a y l i s t
c a s t
p a r t o n e
i | the dragon's call
ii | valiant
iii | the mark of nimueh
iv | the poisoned chalice
v | lancelot
vi | a remedy to cure all ills
vii | the gates of avalon
viii | the beginning of the end
ix | excalibur
x | the moment of truth
xi | the labyrinth of gedref
xiii | le morte d'arthur
p a r t t w o
i | the curse of cornelius sigan
ii | the once and future queen
iii | the nightmare begins
iv | lancelot and illyria
v | beauty and the beast pt. i
vi | beauty and the beast pt. ii
vii | the witchfinder
viii | the sins of the father
ix | the lady of the lake
x | sweet dreams
xi | the witch's quickening
xii | the fires of idirsholas
xiii | the last dragonlord
p a r t t h r e e
a d d i t i o n a l c a s t
i | the tears of uther pendragon pt. i
ii | the tears of uther pendragon pt. ii
iii | goblin's gold
iv | gwaine
v | the changeling
vi | the crystal cave
vii | the castle of fyrien
viii | illyria's lament
ix | the eye of the phoenix
x | love in the time of dragons
xi | the sorcerer's shadow
xii | the coming of arthur pt. i
xiii | the coming of arthur pt. ii
p a r t f o u r
i | the darkest hour pt. i
ii | the darkest hour pt. ii
iii | the wicked day
iv | aithusa
v | a servant of two masters
vi | his father's son

xii | to kill the king

15.4K 504 92
By theilliterateironman

i don't super love this episode and therefore put minimal effort into it. sorry.

"losing your family is one of the worst things in the world. it is unfair that you are having to go through this."

[1.12 — To Kill the King]

It was rather late as Lia made her way back to the castle from the lower town. She had been visiting the Wilson family, whose son, Marcus, had a cold. Gwen had mentioned it offhandedly earlier that morning, so once Lia was finished with her daily job, she made her way to their home with some medicine. The family hadn't asked for it, but Gwen had mentioned that they couldn't really afford it, so Lia thought she'd do them a favor.

Lia was always doing people favors like that it seemed, and the people of Camelot were beginning to notice. There were days where she'd show up on their doorstep with whatever remedy they found themselves in need of. The girl was far too kind to accept any form of payment when they offered. She'd always tell them it was payment enough to see them well. Though Lia did accept the slightly-crushed daisy that Marcus had rushed to grab from their kitchen table to give to her.

While softly humming a tune and looking down at the flower from the child, Lia walked down the mostly empty streets of Camelot. Things had been rather calm in the kingdom as of late. Lia rarely found herself stressing about Merlin exposing her magic. And Uther seemed to have finally stopped pestering Lia about her home — though she was sure it wouldn't be long before he grew curious once more. But at the moment, Lia could enjoy the peace. The only thing she had to worry about was helping people, which brought her so much joy.

Most everyone in Camelot was already in their homes, getting ready for bed if they weren't already asleep. Though Lia noted that Tom, Gwen's father, was still at work in his forge judging by the smoke escaping from the chimney. Tom always worked hard, doing his best to provide for Gwen. Lia thought about stopping and greeting him but decided against it since it was so late. She needed to get back to the castle anyway.

However, Lia paused when she noticed a group of guards and knights lead by Arthur headed in her direction. They weren't headed for her, of course, so she quickly stepped to the side. Though when Arthur spotted her in the dark he rushed to her side.

"What are you doing out here so late?" he whispered quietly.

Lia noticed the nervous look on his face and frowned. "I was just—"

"It's not safe," he said, deciding he didn't have time for a real answer. He glanced back at his men until he found the face he was searching for. "Leon, get her back to her chambers. Quickly."

Leon nodded and stepped out of the formation of knights. Lia didn't even have time to question Arthur's actions before Leon had turned her around and walked her towards the castle. She glanced over her shoulder just in time to see the group of guards heading to Tom's forge.

"That's Gwen's father's shop. Leon, what's happening?" she asked. Leon turned her away as the guards lined up, ready to burst inside the building. "Tom's never done any harm."

"We're after a dangerous sorcerer," Leon explained, rushing Lia around a corner. Once Lia was out of his sight, Arthur gave the all-clear to barge into the forge. "We have reason to believe Tom's consorting with the sorcerer known as Tauren."

"But that's ridiculous," Lia said, shaking her head. Once they were safely inside the walls of the palace, Leon slowed their brisk pace down. "Tom would never help a sorcerer, at least not knowingly."

"We are only following a tip we received," Leon said, not wanting to argue with her. After all, the knights and guards had to do their jobs. "I can only hope that it was wrong."

"Well, what's to happen to him if it's true?" Lia asked, fearing for the answer.

Leon simply gave her a pointed look. They both knew that if Tom really was helping a sorcerer, then Uther would have him killed. Gwen would be without a father. Lia sighed but nodded in understanding. There wasn't much that could be done about the situation, so she simply let Leon walk her all the way to the physician chambers.

"I know it was an order, but thank you for walking me," Lia said once they reached her destination.

"Anything for you, My Lady," he said, grinning before playfully bowing. "Have a good night, Lia."

"And you as well, Sir Leon."

Lia was expecting to see Gaius awake at the late hour — he often stayed up working on one thing or another. However, Merlin was usually so exhausted by all the work that Arthur put him through that he was the first person to go to bed for the night. So, Lia was surprised to see him wander out of their shared chambers and into the physician chambers, looking half-awake.

"You alright, Lin?" Lia asked, noticing the somewhat worried look on his face. She kept a careful eye on him as she set her basket of supplies down.

"Can't sleep?" Gaius asked, also wondering why Merlin was awake.

"Something woke me," Merlin muttered. He looked rather spooked by whatever had happened.

"What?" Gaius asked him.

"I don't know. A feeling," he said, looking toward the ground with a confused look.

Lia moved to his side and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "What kind of feeling?"

"Powerful magic," Merlin told them. "Here, in Camelot."

"Well—"

Lia was cut off by Gwen rushing into the physician chambers with a distraught look on her face.

"Gwen. What's wrong?" Merlin asked as she ran up to them.

"My father's been arrested," Gwen told them. Lia shut her eyes and sighed, knowing that Arthur and the guards must have found him with that sorcerer.

"Arrested? What for?" Merlin asked.

"They say he was making weapons for a sorcerer! They're charging him with treason!"

| | |

After they had calmed Gwen down enough, the four of them made their way to the dungeons. It took Lia sweetly talking to a guard, but eventually, Gwen was allowed to speak with her father. As she did, Lia stood a few feet back with Gaius and Merlin.

"I saw them going to his forge to arrest him on my way back from the Wilson home," Lia whispered, not wanting Gwen to overhear. "Leon made it sound like the sorcerer they're after is very dangerous."

"The more dangerous, the less likely Uther is to grant him clemency," Gaius muttered, frowning deeply.

"You don't think Uther will have him executed, do you?" Merlin asked him. He only received a hardly noticeable nod from Gaius, which damped his and Lia's spirits.

After a few more minutes of Gwen speaking with her father, she made her way back to the others.

"What did he say?" Merlin asked.

"He said Tauren came to him at the forge, offered to pay him a fortune for his help — not to make weapons — for an experiment or something," she explained quickly.

"What kind of experiment?" Lia asked.

"Tauren didn't say," Gwen answered. "But he used some kind of stone — some kind of magic."

That was it then, and they all knew it even if they didn't say it out loud. If Tom had been helping with a magic process, then Uther's mind would be made up. Gwen's father would be executed for helping Tauren, whether Tom knew about the magic or not.

Gwen was a worried mess after speaking with her father. They managed to convince her to come back to Merlin and Lia's room to try and get some sleep. After Gaius gave her some sleeping draught, Merlin offered up his bed to rest in. Lia sat by her side until she fell asleep and then she made her way back to the physician chambers.

"She's sleeping now," Lia told Gaius and Merlin.

"I don't understand it. What would a sorcerer want with Tom?" Merlin asked, keeping his voice low to not disturb Gwen.

"His forge, Merlin. It's the finest in the kingdom," Gaius told him.

"You think Tom was lying?" he asked. "You think he really was making weapons?"

"I don't know if he was making weapons, but they were making something," Lia replied, frowning. "He had his furnace running when I passed by."

"No, I don't think they were making weapons," Gaius said.

"Then what?" Merlin asked.

"When Tom was arrested, they found gold on him," Gaius said.

"So?" Lia asked, not sure how that mattered. "That was probably how Tauren paid him."

"Well, from what Gwen was saying, Tauren's experiment bears all the hallmarks of alchemy," Gaius explained.

"But alchemy's impossible, isn't it?" Merlin asked.

"Yes," Lia answered, nodding her head. "You can't change the very nature of one thing to another."

"But if you used magic," Gaius said, trailing off.

A look of realization crossed Merlin's face, remembering the strong magic that had woken him in the dead of night. "Do you think that's what woke me?"

"It is possible, I suppose."

Lia sighed and rubbed her forehead. She had a sudden feeling that this was only the beginning — she felt that things were about to get much worse for all of them.

| | |

Gwen had slept through most of the morning. Merlin, who slept on a cot on the floor, and Lia did not have the heart to wake her. When Lia got ready for the day, she moved as quietly as she could, making sure not to bother Gwen. While she made breakfast, Merlin simply sat at the door, making sure that Gwen was alright. Once Lia was finished cooking, the pair sat next to each other on Lia's bed and ate quietly.

To be truthful, neither of them knew how to fix the situation. Their friend's father was in jail and had been caught with a sorcerer. They tried their best to come up with a solution, but the evidence against Tom was pretty damning. All they could do was be there for Gwen she woke up.

"Merlin. Lia." Morgana had entered the chambers to check up on Gwen.

"Morgana," Merlin greeted while getting up.

Morgana watched Gwen sleep with a pitiful look. "How is she?"

"She's doing okay," Merlin whispered.

"We should let her rest," Morgana said after a moment.

Merlin nodded in agreement. "Yeah," he said while offering Lia his hand. She got up and the three of them headed into the physician chambers so that they wouldn't wake up Gwen. "Morgana, have you spoken to Uther? He must realize this is a mistake. Whatever Tom was doing, it wasn't plotting against the King."

"I know that. Of course, I do," Morgana insisted. "But Uther — Uther only sees enemies."

"But Tom is the most gentle soul I've ever met," Lia told her, frowning.

"But he was seen with Tauren, and that makes him an enemy," Morgana stated. She turned to leave but Merlin stopped her.

"Then there's little hope?" he asked her.

Morgana shook her head. "There's no hope, Merlin. None at all."

| | |

If anyone thought that the next night would be calmer, then they were a fool. All day, the guards had rounded up people who were suspected of helping Tauren, whether it be because they fed or housed him while in Camelot. Shortly after the guards rotated their stations, the warning bells sounded throughout the kingdom.

Somehow, Tom had managed to escape his cell. Every guard was searching the palace for him with orders from Uther to be killed on sight. As far as Uther was concerned, fleeing was as good as an admission of guilt.

Lia was the one that had to wake Gwen and explain what happened. Immediately, she had run from the castle, Lia following as fast as she could. Gwen wailed loudly when she spotted two guards carrying her father's body off in a wheelbarrow.

"No, Father!" she cried. Lia finally reached her and did not hesitate to wrap her arms around her. Gwen turned and sobbed into her shoulder, hardly able to keep herself standing. "H - he's g - they killed him!"

"I know," Lia said softly. She ran a hand through Gwen's hair. "I'm so sorry, Guinevere. I'm sorry."

Lia continued to try and console Gwen, both girls unaware of Morgana watching from her window with a new hatred for Uther in her heart.

Once Lia helped Gwen back to the castle, Gwen sat on Merlin's bed. She just stared off into space as Lia held her hand, trying to think of everything that happened which led to her father's death. Merlin came in quietly to check on her.

"Alright?" he asked Gwen. Though it felt like a ridiculous question once he had asked it. Her father had just been killed. Of course, she wasn't alright.

"I just don't understand. Why did he try to escape? His trial was this morning," she said, shaking her head. Then there was a knock on the door, and Arthur slowly entered the room. Gwen immediately stood in his presence, worried that she was in trouble for her father's actions. "Sire."

Arthur paused for a moment, collecting his thoughts first. "Guinevere, I... want you to know that your job is safe. And that your home is yours for life. I guarantee you that. I know that under the circumstances it's not much but, erm, anything you want, anything you need, all you have to do is ask." Arthur nodded and began to leave but then paused and turned back to her. "I'm sorry."

Gwen was stunned by Arthur's generosity — they all were. King Uther certainly would have never granted someone, especially a servant, such a gift. Though, they supposed that showed how truly remorseful Arthur was about Tom's death.

"Thank you, Sire."

Once Arthur had left, Gwen slowly sank back down to the bed. Merlin shared a look with Lia, silently asking her if she was alright to stay with Gwen. She nodded, not wanting to leave her alone so soon. Merlin quickly followed Arthur out, leaving the two girls in the room.

"Lia," Gwen said, her voice cracking. "I've never felt pain like this before. I never knew my mother before she passed."

Silent tears fell down her cheek, and Lia wiped them with a handkerchief. "Losing your family is one of the worst things in the world. It is unfair that you are having to go through this."

"Does it ever get e - easier? Because right now it feels like my heart had been c - carved out of my chest," Gwen said, choking on a silent sob.

Lia knew she couldn't lie to her — it wouldn't be fair. "My mother died when I was nine, and my father when I was thirteen. There won't be a single day that goes by where you won't think of him — won't miss him. Even years from now, when it doesn't hurt as much to think of him, you'll have those days where you don't even want to get out of bed from how much you wish he were there with you."

Gwen clenched her eyes shut and nodded in understanding. Lia was telling her that it would get better, but she'd never be the same. She leaned her head on Lia's shoulder, who rubbed her shoulder comfortingly. Gwen knew that no matter how alone she felt, she'd always have Lia at her side.

| | |

Lia had tried to convince Gwen to stay in their chambers for one more night, but she wanted to go back to her house. Of course, Lia offered to go with her, but Gwen didn't want to bother her any more than she already had. Though Gwen promised to come by the physician chambers the next morning and assure her that she was alright.

When Lia and Merlin exited their chambers for the day, Gaius greeted them while pointing to a book he had been flipping through.

"Merlin, Lia, come and take a look," he called. "I've been doing some research and found this."

Lia and Merlin looked over Gaius' shoulder at the book of magic. The entry had a drawing of some gold-colored stone on the page.

"The Mage Stone?" Merlin read.

"Wonder of the ancients. Lost for a thousand years or more," he said.

"What does it do?" Lia asked. Neither of them were familiar with it.

"Theoretically, it could give the bearer the power of transformation," Gaius explained.

"Gold," Merlin said in realization. "The power of alchemy."

"Exactly. I believe it was the Mage Stone you sensed on the night of Tom's arrest," Gaius said.

"Of course!" Merlin exclaimed. "Gwen said that Tauren had some kind of stone."

So, Tom hadn't been making weapons for Tauren — he was making gold, which explained the large amount that had been found on him. And from what the book said, the Mage Stone was certainly powerful enough for Merlin to feel when it was in use.

| | |

Lia didn't understand why Morgana had requested she come to her chambers with an ointment usually meant for treating cuts and various skin abrasions. No one had seen the ward at all the day before, though Lia had been busy watching over Gwen, so she didn't question it. When she arrived, she gently knocked on the door and entered when Morgana called for you.

"I have the medicine you sent for," Lia told her. Morgana was sitting on her bed and staring down at her comforter. Gwen was nowhere to be seen, but likely because Morgana had given her the day off. "Have you accidentally scrapped yourself on something?"

In response, Morgana slowly pushed the sleeves of her dress back. Lia was shocked to see the skin of Morgana's wrists had been rubbed raw, with blisters already forming. They were the wrist of someone who had been put in chains. Lia quickly rushed to Morgana's side to examine her wounds.

"What happened? Who has done this to you?" she asked, looking up at her with worry.

Morgana had spent most of the morning glaring at nothing in particular while thinking of Uther, but her gaze softened as Lia cared for her. "It was Uther."

A small gasp left Lia's lips and she looked at the ward in shock. "How could he do such a thing? He cares for you as if you were his own."

"The only thing he cares for is himself," she whispered bitterly. "He throws anyone who challenges him in the dungeons."

"I'm so sorry. You don't deserve this," Lia told her. She opened up the ointment to put on Morgana's wounds. "This is going to sting, Gana, but it will heal much faster than without."

Morgana nodded in understanding as Lia began applying the medicine. She was right, and it did sting, but after all that Morgana had been through, she did not show it. Lia was careful, as she always was when treating those who were injured, which Morgana appreciated.

"Tell me, Lia," Morgana said almost hesitantly. "Do you think Uther deserves to be King?"

Lia paused her movements and glanced up at Morgana for a moment before returning to her work. "I think that's a dangerous question for me to answer."

"You can speak freely," Morgana assured her. "I just want someone else's perspective — someone who didn't grow up with him."

Lia finished applying the medicine to Morgana's wrists before speaking, and even then, she kept her tone guarded. "I think that there are times when he is a good king. But other times, he is a cruel and vindictive ruler who lets his paranoia and fear make his decisions. If you disagree with him on anything, especially magic, then you're sure to be banished if not executed. I don't think it's right for his subjects to fear each day worrying if they're going to be accused of sorcery or not. But at the same time, I suppose Camelot is the strongest of the kingdoms for a reason, and it's his doing."

Morgana raised an eyebrow, a bit surprised that Lia had been so honest with her. She was quite sure she'd never heard the girl speak ill of anyone, even if they deserved it. If the sweetest person Morgana had ever met thought such things about Uther, then she was convinced she had to do something to stop him. She may have told Gwen that she would send the guards of Camelot to meet Tauren in the woods, but Morgana's plan was about to change.

She would stop the reign of terror Uther Pendragon no matter what.

| | |

Lia was woken up by the sounds Merlin made as he tried to get dressed in the dark. He had tripped over one of his shirts on the floor, letting out a soft "oof" as he fell. Lia sat up and pushed her hair out of her face, squinting at Merlin through the darkness.

"What're you doing, Lin?" she asked, rubbing her tired eyes.

Merlin sighed, annoyed at himself for waking her up. "It's the stone again. I'm going to follow it."

"M'kay," she muttered.

Merlin heard her moving in the dark and knew she was getting out of bed and searching for an overdress to throw on over her nightgown. He was reminded of one of their first nights in Camelot where she blindly followed him to the Dragon's Cave just so he wouldn't be alone.

"Lia, it could be dangerous," he whispered.

"Should've been quieter then," she said, pulling on some shoes. "Let's go."

Together, they snuck out of the physician chambers. Before they could even exit the castle, they saw that Morgana was sneaking somewhere as well, dressed in all black and moving through the shadows. Merlin gave Lia a look which silently told her that the magical feeling was coming from Morgana — she had the stone. The pair quietly snuck after her, staying several yards back so that she wouldn't catch them. A horrible feeling settled in Lia's stomach as they followed her deep into the woods.

Wherever Morgana was going, the sun was already starting to rise as she arrived. Merlin and Lia hid behind a tree, watching Morgana carefully. She stopped in the middle of the path as a group of men began to surround her, holding out their weapons.

"Where's your maid?" one of the men, Tauren, asked her.

"I've come in her place," Morgana replied. She was doing her best to show no fear.

"Kill her," Tauren ordered.

"No! Wait!" Morgana shouted as the men raised their swords to kill her. "I brought the Stone!"

Tauren eyed the pouch she pulled out, wondering if she was telling the truth. "What else have you brought, My Lady? The Knights of Camelot?"

"I came alone, I promise you."

"Give me the stone," he ordered. Once Morgana handed over the bag, he opened it up to reveal the Mage Stone. "You were foolish to come here. I had no quarrel with your maid. But you, My Lady Morgana, you are Uther's ward."

Tauren drew his sword and put it to Morgana's stomach. Lia tensed up beside Merlin, who kept a tight hold on her hand to keep her from running out and revealing themselves. "If you kill me, you'll regret it," Morgana said.

"Why is that?" he asked.

"Because I want Uther dead, too," she declared. Lia and Merlin shared a shocked look. Morgana was so mad at Uther that she was prepared to aid in killing him.

"You? An enemy of the King? And I'm to believe that?" Tauren asked in disbelief.

"Why else would I be here?" she asked.

"I can only guess at your motives, My Lady. You could be a spy, for all I know," he accused.

"And this—" Morgana pulled back her sleeves to reveal her wrists, which were still sore and bruised from the chains she had been put in. "Is it usual for Uther to chain his friends to a dungeon wall? The Stone. You took it to the forge. Why?"

Slowly, Tauren lowered his sword, believing Morgana. "With it, a man can alter the very essence of things. He can turn a lump of lead into gold."

"Gold?" Morgana asked in disbelief. "A good man died in your quest for riches, Tauren. His daughter is now an orphan."

"I'm sorry for that. Truly. But we did not want the gold to line our pockets. The gold was but a means, a means to rid this kingdom of Uther Pendragon once and for all," he said.

"What are you saying?" she asked.

"Bribery is rife at Camelot. I will use the corruption at the heart of his kingdom, and such abundance of gold will buy me into the King's chambers, even to the King himself," Tauren explained.

"The guards may be fools, Tauren, but the King is not," Morgana warned.

"Do you have a better plan?" he asked. As he spoke, he sheathed his sword, no longer seeing Morgana as a threat — she was becoming an ally.

"To get to Uther, you need someone close to him."

"And you know of such a person?"

"I do," Morgana said, holding her head high. There was no doubt in her tone. "Me."

Lia and Merlin stayed quiet until the meeting was over. Lia leaned against the tree feeling at a loss. Morgana was in so much pain that she was plotting to kill the man that raised her. That explained why she had questioned her about Uther earlier, likely wanting another perspective. Lia couldn't help but wonder if she had unintentionally convinced Morgana to do something so drastic.

| | |

Breakfast was rather quiet. Not only were Merlin and Lia exhausted, but they had a lot on their minds. Their friend was plotting to murder Uther with a dangerous sorcerer. Neither had any idea of what to do, leaving them to stare down at their breakfast plates in silence.

"Pass the salt please," Gaius said. Merlin, without really paying attention, grabbed the first thing he felt and passed it to Gaius. The physician looked down at the apple in his hands in confusion. "You all right?"

"What?" Merlin asked, finally looking up from his plate. "Yeah. I've just got a few things on my mind, that's all."

"Anything you'd like to talk to me about?" Gaius asked.

"I can't imagine you'd be interested," Merlin muttered.

"So long as you're sure."

Merlin sighed and got up from the table. "I should be getting to work." He started heading to the door right behind him.

"Er, Merlin?" Gaius called. Merlin paused to look at him. "That's a broom cupboard."

Lia couldn't help but snort as Merlin smiled sheepishly. Then he headed for the correct exit, off to deal with Arthur for the day. Once he was gone, Lia passed Gaius the salt that he had originally wanted and began eating her eggs.

"So," Gaius said, watching her closely. She looked just as tired as Merlin did, and he could even spot dark circles under her eyes. "Do you have something to tell me, or are you going to try and walk into a broom cupboard too?"

Lia bit her lip, conflicted about what she should do. But Merlin had told her they needed to keep what happened between themselves for a little while — at least until they had more information. "I'm fine. Just had some trouble sleeping last night," she muttered.

"You know you can always come to me if something is bothering you," Gaius told her in a gentle tone.

"I know," she said, smiling. "I promise that I'm alright."

"Very well," he said, letting up on it for the moment. "But make sure you get some rest tonight. Take a sleeping draught if you must. Once you've finished your breakfast, run to the markets and get some turmeric and primrose oil from Sir Marshall's stall."

| | |

Lia didn't get as much rest as she would've liked. Once night fell, Merlin dragged her down to the Dragon's Cave. He still didn't know what to do about Morgana and hoped that they could get some guidance. When they arrived, the Great Dragon was curled up on his rock, sleeping soundly. Merlin glanced at Lia before clearing his throat loudly. After a moment, the dragon stirred.

"Sorry for waking you," Lia told him.

"Well, young warlock, what is it you come to ask of me?" the Great Dragon asked them.

"We need your help," Merlin said.

"Of course you do, but this time, will you heed my words?" he asked, clearly still upset about the sword situation.

"The sorcerer Tauren is plotting to kill the King. He's made an ally of Morgana. I don't know what to do," Merlin explained.

"Do nothing."

Lia frowned and shook her head. "But if we do nothing then Uther will die."

"Don't you want Uther dead?" he asked them. "It is Uther that persecutes you and your kind, Merlin. It is Uther that murders the innocent—"

"But surely that doesn't make it right to kill him," Merlin said, frowning.

"Only if Uther dies can magic return to the land. Only if Uther dies will you be free, Merlin. Uther's reign is at an end. Let Arthur and Illyria's reign begin. Fulfill your destiny!" the Great Dragon shouted. Then he flapped his wings, preparing to fly off.

"Wait!" Merlin called after him. "Where does it say my destiny includes murder?"

"Free this land from tyranny, Merlin! Free us all!" he yelled, flying away.

Lia and Merlin stood alone in the cave, both feeling rather different things. Lia didn't care what the dragon had to say. It was wrong to turn a blind eye and let Morgana kill Uther. That would have made them no better than Tauren themselves. But Merlin was not as convinced as Lia. Perhaps the Great Dragon, and Morgana, and Tauren had a point. It would certainly be safer for him if Uther died and Arthur became King. Lia could see it on Merlin's face and she knew that he was conflicted.

Uther's life was in Merlin's hands, and she could only hope he'd make the right decision.

| | |

Merlin had been incredibly jittery and nervous the next day. He still hadn't made up his mind on what to do, despite Lia's pleading with him to save Uther. A part of him brushed her concerns off, knowing she was just too kind to understand the way that he hated Uther — she would never be persecuted as he was. He also felt he needed to let it happen for Gwen, who was now an orphan because of him. There were countless others whose lives would be improved by his death.

Lia would never understand, no matter how hard she tried, what it was like to live in fear of her magic being discovered each day. There was no constant threat of execution hanging over her head. That's why he couldn't go to her for advice on this.

"Do you think Uther's a good king?" Merlin had suddenly asked Gaius. They were all in the physician chambers, and Merlin had remained fairly silent up until then.

"Sorry?" Gaius asked, not expecting such a question.

"Uther. Do you think he's good for the kingdom?" Merlin asked again.

Gaius glanced at Merlin curiously before looking back at the remedy he was bottling. "Yes. Yes, I do. In the light of recent events, you may find that hard to believe."

"Hard? No," Merlin muttered. "Impossible? Definitely."

Gaius looked at Merlin in disbelief. "Merlin—"

"Everyone hates him," he stated.

"It is not Uther's job to be liked. It is Uther's job to protect the kingdom. Most of his methods are right," Gaius said, walking over to stand by Merlin. "Sometimes he may go too far."

"Really?" Merlin asked, scoffing. "You mean like executing anyone who even passes a sorcerer on the street?"

"Yes," Gaius admitted regretfully. "But despite Uther's failings, he has brought peace and prosperity to this kingdom."

"But at what cost? At the cost of women and children, fathers and sons! When will it end?" he asked, getting upset.

"It will end when Arthur is King."

"Then why not let that time be now? Why not let Arthur be King?" Merlin asked.

"Merlin, you know he's not ready," Lia said gently.

"She's right. The responsibility would be too great. Brave though he may be, he lacks experience, he lacks judgment," Gaius explained. He watched Merlin with a careful gaze. "Is there anything you want to tell me?"

"I can't. I - I just — No, I can't," he stuttered out. Gaius couldn't know about Morgana's plan. "You've just got to trust me. Gaius, it's something I've got to work out for myself."

"I do trust you, Merlin," Gaius told him. "Whatever it is, I know you'll make the right decision."

Lia had more faith in Merlin than anyone else. She knew him like the back of her hand, which worried her. Merlin wanted Uther dead just as much as Morgana, but Lia also knew that he'd grow to regret his actions if he allowed the King to die — as would Morgana. Once their anger subsided and they realized just what they'd done, the guilt would eat them alive. Lia didn't want to see that happen to her friends, but there wasn't much in her power she could do to stop it.

| | |

The next morning, Lia was walking with Gwen through the castle. Gwen had been sleeping better, but still wanted to come and pick up a sleeping draught from the physician chambers. However, as they passed Arthur's chambers, they noticed that the door was open. Merlin was alone inside and staring out the window.

"Merlin?" Gwen called as they both stepped into the room.

"Gwen," Merlin greeted, keeping his gaze outside the window. "How are you doing?"

"I was about to ask you the same question," Gwen said. Everyone was beginning to notice how on edge Merlin had been the last few days. He was getting worse and worse at hiding it.

"I'm fine," he reassured them. Lia placed a comforting hand on his arm. "Fine."

Gwen glanced out the window and noticed that Morgana and Uther were riding out of Camelot with two guards. They were going to see Morgana's father's grave. Lia felt sick to her stomach as they watched the riding party leave, knowing it must have been a part of Tauren's plan to kill Uther. Gwen didn't sense any of her uneasiness though.

"Morgana's been amazing these last few days," Gwen commented.

"I think you've been amazing. After all, that's happened, getting your life back together," Merlin said, speaking softly.

"It's better than sitting in an empty house, waiting for my father to walk through the door," Gwen said, turning from the window. "The thing I find hardest to bear is that people will always think he was guilty because he tried to escape."

"We know he was innocent," Lia told her.

"I think he tried to escape because he knew that whatever he said or did he'd be killed," Gwen admitted. "Uther had already made up his mind. That's the kind of man he is."

Lia eyed Merlin as a dark look appeared on his face. "I wouldn't blame you if you wanted him dead," he said in a low tone.

Gwen frowned and turned to face Merlin. "If Uther died I'd feel nothing. He means nothing to me."

"But if you had, you know, the choice, what would you do?" Merlin asked. Tears welled in Lia's eyes, not liking what Merlin had turned into. There was nothing she could do to stop him, but perhaps Gwen — who he was convinced he was doing this for — could convince him. "If you had the power of life and death over Uther, would you kill him? For what he did?"

"No," Gwen said, horrified by the mere thought of taking the King's life.

It wasn't the answer Merlin was expecting. "No?"

"What would that solve? That would make me a murderer. That would make me as bad as him," she said.

It was as if the dark cloud that had been blinding Merlin vanished as he listened to Gwen. He glanced at Lia for a moment, and she saw the regret on his face before he looked back at Gwen. "You're right. Of course, you're right."

Merlin suddenly bolted from the room, startling Gwen with his sudden change of mood. "Is anything wrong?" she shouted after him.

"No, no! See you later!" he called over his shoulder before he disappeared down the hall.

Gwen frowned and looked at Lia, who had a hopeful smile on her face. "What was that about?"

"Oh you know Merlin," she said, shaking her head. Lia tried to suppress her smile, but she was just so glad that Merlin had made the right decision. "Probably off to do something ridiculous."

| | |

It seemed that Merlin was not the only one to regain his senses. As Merlin was fighting off Tauren's men, Morgana realized that plotting to kill Uther had been a mistake. She saw that Uther truly did regret having Gwen's father killed and that he also cared for her like a daughter. Morgana changed her mind just in time and managed to kill Tauren before he killed Uther in their battle.

After making sure that the King was safe, Merlin rushed back to Camelot. When he entered the physician chambers, Lia stood and rushed to his side to make sure he was okay.

"Ah, busy day?" Gaius asked him.

"Had its moments," he muttered.

"I hear that Tauren tried to assassinate Uther," Gaius told him.

"That's what I heard," Merlin said, trying to get to his chambers and avoid the questions.

"And that Morgana saved him. How many men were there? Three? Four?" Gaius asked, crossing his arms.

"Yeah, something like that," Merlin said, doing his best to bite back a grin.

"Morgana must have shown extraordinary courage to have defended a king against such odds. I suppose you had nothing to do with it?" Gaius asked him.

"Oh, you know. Just background stuff," he said, brushing it off.

"No need to be so modest, Merlin," Gaius told him.

"Sorry," he muttered.

"It's not a criticism. It's a compliment."

"Right," Merlin said, smiling a real smile. "Thanks, Gaius."

As Merlin entered the bedroom, Lia followed him. He glanced at her nervously but knew by the smile on her face that she was proud of him.

"I knew you'd make the right choice," she told him, leaning against the wall.

He gave her a somewhat doubtful look. "Did you though? I could see it in your eyes. You were worried. I'm surprised you aren't mad at me."

"Even if you had chosen to let him die, I don't think I could've been mad with you. I know it's not fair for you to live in hiding because of one man's fear of magic. And your life would probably be easier if Uther were dead," Lia admitted. "But I knew in my heart that you wouldn't go through with it. Merlin, you are a good man, and your magic is meant for great things. You're meant for great things."

Merlin bit his lip, fighting off a smile. Then he pulled Lia into a tight hug and chuckled. "That was incredibly sappy, Lia."

She playfully rolled her eyes. "Don't let it go to your head, or I'll send you to Arthur and instruct him to knock your ego down a few pegs."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 305 17
VIGILANTE SHIT- โ revenge is a good look on you โž IN WHICH, two sorcerers in camelot are both destined to take care of the king's most beloved, arthu...
216K 11.1K 29
Merthur AU (Set around early season 4) Arthur Pendragon is the new king of Camelot having assumed the throne after his father's death at the hands of...
12.6K 600 44
๐•ญ๐–”๐–”๐– ๐•ฟ๐–œ๐–” ๐”–๐”ฒ๐”ช๐”ช๐”ž๐”ฏ๐”ถ: From trolls to dragons to foreign princesses, Astraea Aphelion grows stronger as she continues to navigate medieval...
580K 20.3K 128
"For both sides of the coin to reveal their full potential, a light must shine upon them." ------ [Merlin - Season 1+] [Arthur Pendragon x OC]