The Guide To Moving On

By wise_potato1

When Steve came out of the ice everything changed. He lost everything he ever knew and loved. He has no choic... More

Chapter 1 - Capsicle
Chapter 2 - What used to be
Chapter 3 - Recruitment
Chapter 4 - Needle in a Hay Stack
Chapter 5 - Calm Before the Storm
Chapter 6 - Can You Relate?
Chapter 7 - What are you thinking?
Chapter 8 - Herding Cats
Chapter 9 - Clint
Chapter 10 - New Delhi
Chapter 11 - Avengers, Assemble
Chapter 12 - Meet the Team
Chapter 13 - Moving out
Chapter 14 - The Avengers Tower
Chapter 15 - Drenched
Chapter 16 - First Mission
Chapter 17 - Training
Chapter 18 - Housewarming
Chapter 19 - Swimming
Chapter 20 - Prepare
Chapter 21 - Ready or Not?
Chapter 22 - Close call
Chapter 23 - Camping
Chapter 24 - Truth or Dare
Chapter 25 - Spot the Difference
Chapter 26 - Stand Still
Chapter 27 - Insane
Chapter 28 - Natasha?
Chapter 29 - Forgiveness
Chapter 30 - Healing
Chapter 31 Part 2 - Hurt
Chapter 32 - Remember?
Chapter 33 - I Can't Pretend
Chapter 34 - What Did I Do?
Chapter 35 - Teasing
Chapter 36 - Gone
Chapter 37 - Funeral
Chapter 38 - Family Movie Night
Chapter 39 - First Date
Chapter 40 - PTSD
Chapter 41 - Secrets
Chapter 42 - Surprise!
Chapter 44 - Vacation
Chapter 45 - Plans
Chapter 46 - Wedding Bells
Chapter 47 - The Question
Chapter 48 - Decorations
Chapter 49 - Christmas Miracle
Chapter 50 - Back in action
Chapter 51 - Saving him
Chapter 52 - Waiting
Chapter 53 - Wake Up!
Chapter 54 - It Hurts
Chapter 55 - 'Til the End of the Line
Chapter 56 - Rehab Sucks
Chapter 57- Expecting
Author's Note
Chapter 58 - About to Pop
Chapter 59 - WHAT!
Chapter 60 - My family
Chapter 61 - First's
Chapter 62 - The Guide to Moving On
Author's Note

Chapter 31 Part 1- Hurt

1K 27 0
By wise_potato1

Nat's POV

I was awoken by the sound of an alarm and then a shift next to me. I opened my eyes slowly and was immediately met with the sight of a bare chest. I looked up and smiled at the soldier that I had spent the last almost 2 weeks with exclusively.

Waking up next to him every morning was one of the highlights of each day. I reached across him and turned off the alarm before looking up at him. He buried his head into my hair and sighed. 

"Come on Steve, today is the big day, we have to get up." I called and he groaned. 

"Can't we stay here?" He mumbled, his eyes still firmly shut. 

"I know, but you know that we can't." I reasoned and he opened his eyes and looked down at me. He is so cute when he first wakes up in the morning, the lines of worry and responsibility from the previous day erased from his face. 

"Fine." he grumbled, rolling over and sitting up. I got up and sat next to him, both of us staring out the window which overlooked the street below. It was still dark out and the streets were nearly empty for it was only 4:00am. 

We had to get up so early to ensure that we were at the base at the break of dawn. I rested my head on his shoulder and yawned, his arm immediately wrapping around me. It was one of the things about our relationship that I cherished, we had grown very close and these little acts of comfort were something I looked forward to whenever I was around him. 

"Alright, we better get ready." Steve said, breaking the comfortable silence that had fallen over the past 5 minutes. 

I nodded and strode past him to the bathroom. It wasn't until I was finished having a shower that I realised I left my suit in the closet and I had no way of getting it. 

"Steve?" I called through the bathroom door. 

"Yeah?" 

"Would you mind getting my catsuit from the closet? I forgot to grab it. I told him and he agreed, presumably going to get it. A moment later he knocked on the door and I opened it a crack so he could pass it to me. 

"Thank you!" I said as I slipped into my catsuit quickly. I emerged a few moments later and started getting putting weapons on. 

I started fiddling with my widow bites, but the latch on one of them had always been dodgy and it some days didn't want to co-operate. Today was one of those days. As I was about to give up on it, I felt two warm hands wrap around my wrist gently and clasp it on for me. 

I looked up and smiled at him shyly. I am not used to people doing things for me, I am not used to letting people do things for me. And yet, he broke through my emotional barriers as if it were made of butter and helped me. 

How he did that was beyond me, but I was kind of glad in a way. It is nice not having to be independent all of the time. 

"You wouldn't happen to know where my shield is, do you?" He asked, smiling back at me. 

"Yeah, it is in the bottom of the closet near my handguns." I replied simply and he immediately went to go and get it. Securing it on his back he turned back to me. 

"What would I do without you?" He asked timidly, passing me my hand guns that I was yet to grab. 

"Well, for starters, the Captain America would've lost his shield." I replied, grabbing the last of my weapons and securing them. He chuckled lightly and placed his hand on the small of my back, guiding me out the door. 

30 minutes later, we were parked outside of the base that we had been running intel on for the last 2 weeks. It was finally going to matter, the work that we had put in, it all came down to whether or not we could take this base down. 

I just hope that it pays off. 

Steve's POV

We arrived at the base and I took a deep breath trying to calm the butterflies in my stomach. It isn't like me to get this nervous before missions, but I blame the fact that I am on it with Nat, and Fury gave us next to no information before we left. 

Basically all information we have about the base, we had discovered in the last 2 weeks. I glanced at my beautiful partner as we got out of the car. She winked at me and smirked. At least one of us was confident about this mission. 

We had worked together long enough now that we could communicate plans without even speaking and as I started creep in between the trees towards the base, she immediately copied and we made it to the base within a minute. 

I glanced at her one last time and readied my shield, springing out of the trees at the front of the base. We were immediately met with gunfire, I guess we lost the element of surprise. The base itself was small and rather old, I understand what Fury means by it being an old base. 

Most of the paint was flaking off the side, exposing the concrete and brick that surrounded the building. 

There was something familiar about this base, 2 stories of concrete and brick with withering gardens surrounding its base. I was distracted from my thoughts however, when a bullet whizzed past my cheek, barely missing me. 

I turned my attention to where it came from and quickly disarmed the guard responsible. Another wave of guards flooded from the Iron doors at the entrance to the building. The iron doors also looked familiar, but one seemed to have been replaced, it kind of reminded me of a building we stormed with the army way back when. 

But there was no way, it was too long ago, there is no way that the building is the same one that I am thinking of. Besides, the building I know, had black gloss tiles and lime green walls, something that I very distinctly remember because it was such as strange design at the time. 

I made quick work of knocking out more guards, as Nat took out more on my left. 

As the fight drew on, the waves of guards became less frequent, with less guards leaving the building with each one. Hopefully we are almost finished with their defence and we can get into the building soon. 

"Rogers, duck!" Nat called through the comms and I immediately followed her command without question. 

Something whizzed by the top of my head, followed by a loud explosion. I looked back and saw that Nat had thrown a grenade to clear the entrance so we could enter. She ran into the building and I followed quickly behind her. 

The entry had black tiles but stark white walls, see not the same building Rogers, I must be going crazy. We were greeted with 5 armed guards, shooting at us. I blocked them all with my shield, being conscious to cover Nat, more so than myself. 

Once we had taken down all 5, Nat gestured towards a narrow corridor that seemed to lead downwards. 

"I'll go that way and you stay up here and make sure we haven't missed anything or anyone." I didn't love the idea of splitting up, but I nodded anyway, how could I say no to her anyway? Not that she would let me anyway, Natasha isn't one to follow directions. 

Another ten or so guards came running down the hallway, and I immediately started taking them down. 5 of them however took off in Nat's direction before I could stop them, I just hope that she will be able to take care of them. 

I threw the last guard into the wall with force, denting the wall as I did so. I ran over to grab my shield from where it got wedged into the wall during our fight. As I removed it, I saw some of the paint chip off. 

Usually I would disregard it, as a soldier, we break stuff all the time, but something caught my eye which caused me to give it a second glance. 

I rubbed my gloved hand where my shield left a mark and more of the white paint flaked off. Underneath was the most disgusting hue of lime green paint. The very sight of it was enough to make my stomach do flips and I suddenly felt the urge to throw up. 

-Flashback- 

"Barnes, Dugan, stay up here and search the whole floor, leave no stone unturned. Jones, you're with me, we are going to go down that corridor. Do not stop until we find those hostages and get them away from the German line." I commanded and the team nodded, young Jones running after me down the corridor. 

We ran for what seemed like forever until we came to what appeared to be a dead end. As we turned to run back and find another way forward, iron bars dropped down and trapped us into the small section of the hallway. It had been a trap. 

We then heard the click of a door followed by dozens of footsteps. Turns out that there was a hidden door behind us and we were confronted with 20 odd HYDRA soldiers. We fought back hard, I was impressed with the abilities of Jones, a young kid with no fear. Just as we were finishing up with the guards, I heard a shrill scream from next to me and then a thud. 

I turned to see the Jones kid drop to the ground motionless, blood spewing from his chest. Turns out we didn't kill one of the guards and they had shot their gun, probably aiming for me but got him instead. 

The kid was dead instantly, there was nothing I could do. I continued fighting and eventually managed to get the hostages and the rest of the team out of there. All except the kid, a soldier who joined the army to fight for his country, to prove himself.

Now he was gone, and there was nothing we could do, nothing I could do. All because of that trap and that horrible corridor. 

-End Flashback-

I realised it all too quickly. I did know this place, and if it truly was the same one, than it meant that Natasha went down the exact corridor that I did that day. The same hallway that is a horrible trap. 

I was about to run forward when a piercing scream echoed throughout the building and I froze, my blood running cold. 

Natasha!

NO!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.4K 1.7K 27
(Romanogers Story) Agent Natasha Romanoff a.k.a Black Widow, was saved by her love of her life, Steve Rogers a.k.a Captain America. Steve will do any...
222K 6K 32
Natasha Romanoff, Russian super spy turned agent of SHIELD (and Avenger to be), never thought she'd love again. Steve Rogers, war hero (the star span...
138K 3.3K 95
Steve and Natasha starts finding comfort in each other by unconventional methods. It works, but meaningless quickly becomes meaningful. Without eith...
17K 1.1K 17
Steve wakes up after almost 70 years. But what if he was found by the Russians instead and ended up at the mercy of the KGB's most infamous assassin...