Chapter 61 - First's

Please watch the video. It is sooooo cute!

Steve's POV

"Are you ever going to tell me who Sophie was named after?" I asked Nat as we lay on a picnic mat, basking in the sunshine whilst the twins played with blocks at our feet. 

"Who says she's named after anyone?" Nat retorted weakly.

"You had that look in your eye when you named her. The same one  you have right now." I stated matter-of-factly. Nat sighed. 

"Am I really that easy to read?" 

"Not to anyone else, but to me, yes you are." Nat sighed again. 

"I wanted to name Sophie after one of the most amazing girls I ever knew. I was about 17 when I met her in Russia, she was about 16. She was incredibly smart, brave and beautiful. Far too trusting, for sure, but had the kindest soul. She was the kind of person that I would be proud if my daughter grew up to be like her." Nat finished and I nodded slowly. 

"But that isn't where the story ends is it?" I prompted, knowing there was something she was keeping from me. After all, that is a lovely story and I can't imagine her not telling me unless there was something she didn't want me to know. 

"Of course not. But there is no way that you would look at me the same way again if I told you the rest." She mumbled. 

"Oh no you don't. You are going to tell me the rest of that story or the twins and I will unleash the tickle monster on you." I called, more to the twins than Nat. When I said tickle monster, both James and Sophie lifted their heads up with devilish smiles. 

"No, no! Fine, I'll tell you the rest! The Sophie that I knew was actually my target. She apparently had valuable information that the Red Room needed, but she was royalty, so they couldn't just kidnap her in broad daylight without causing a scene. So they sent me to follow her and befriend her for more than 5 months. We grew close in that time. I basically went against all of my training, but I actually grew fond of her. It was practically impossible not to. Anyway, then the Red Room gave me a week to kill her. I couldn't do it, she was far too innocent and pure to ever deserve such a fate. I told her, at the risk of my own life, who I was and what the plans were for her. She couldn't have been more forgiving. She was even willing to fake her own death just to spare my own life when I returned to the Red Room. That was the last time I ever saw her. As far as I know, she moved to Finland and started a new life and family away from the spotlight. But after that, I vowed that there was no way I could kill for the Red Room again. Even if it cost me my life. Two months after that, I escaped from the Red Room forever." She finished, taking a deep breath and looking down ashamedly. 

"You were right. I will never look at you the same way again." I confirmed and her head shot up in surprise.

"I have never been so proud of you." I whispered, pecking her nose and then her forehead. She smiled at this and picked up James, bouncing him on her knee. 

"Thank you." She whispered, before we turned our attention back to playing with the twins. Heaven knows what they could get up to if you turned your back on them for more than a few seconds. 

Watching the twins grow together has been extraordinary. Today, they are six months old and are very happy, healthy babies. In fact, the doctors have said that they both got equal parts of the super serum, even though Sophie was considerably smaller when she was first born. 

"Dada!" Sophie called as she patted me on knee to get my attention. Nat and I baulked at her. She just said her first word!

"Haha I win!" I shouted, lifting Sophie high into the air and kissing each of her cheeks. Sophie squealed in delight. Nat and I had set up a competition to see who could get the twins to say their name first. 

I must say, Nat fought valiantly, repeating mum mum mum as she waltzed them around the living room, but I have triumphed! 

"I will get you back!" Nat declared. "I will make sure that James says mum first. Isn't that right James?" She whispered and James gurgled in response. 

We both burst out laughing.