Chapter 30 - Healing

Nat's POV

"You been to Germany before?" I asked, already knowing the answer, but asking it anyway to break the silence that had fallen between us for the past 4 hours. 

"Ah yeah, when I was in the army. But you already knew that, didn't you." He replied, squinting his eyes at me mockingly. Of course I know, but I looked at him innocently anyway. 

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers." I challenged and he just rolled his eyes in defeat. 

"Have you?" He asked. 

"Yeah once, well that I remember anyway, probably more than that though, on missions." I replied and he nodded. 

"Do you speak the language?" He asked as I turned back to the control panel. 

"Naturally. Now, we are landing soon, so buckle up." I instructed as I started flicking the correct switches. He sat down next to me in the co-pilots seat and adjusted his seatbelt as the plane started to descend. 

Within ten minutes, I had the plane successfully landed at one of the SHIELD airports on the outskirts of Berlin. Steve and I stood up and exited the plane which was now in one of the several hangers. 

Waiting outside was a SHIELD car that we would use for the duration of the stay here in Germany. We both clambered in and set off towards the hotel that we would be staying at. 

I could tell that Steve was a tense. Even our conversations always came easy, but today it was hard and he was snappy. I had opted to drive but a reached over with one of my hands and took his large hand in my own, giving it a squeeze. 

"I know the last time you came here, it was, well, war, but it isn't the 1940s anymore. It's gonna be ok." I assured and he loosened up a little, but I could tell that something was still bothering him. 

"And yet, here we are, 70 years later, still fighting the bad guys." He huffed and I sighed. 

"Perhaps, but this is why they sent us here, to stop that, because they believe that we can." I told him as we pulled up to the hotel we are going to stay at. 

"What about us, do we believe that we can?" He replied and I looked at him sternly.

"I believe we can, as long as my partner believes in himself." I replied with emphasis and he smiled a little, getting out of the car. 

"Anyone ever told you that you are a little too fearless for your own good?" Steve asked as he helped get the luggage out of the back. 

"Not to my face, why, did you hear something?" I asked sarcastically, smirking and walking into reception, a chuckling Steve close behind. 

Steve's POV

"Hello, how can I help you?" A woman greeted in the reception and I smiled at her gratefully, at least she spoke English because my German skills are far from decent. 

"Hello, we booked a room under Sophia and Tobias Fischer?" I asked and the receptionist scrolled through her computer. I was still trying to get used to our cover names, Tobias wasn't my first choice, but Nat assured me that it would be fitting. 

"Ah yes, you will be on floor 3, room 37. Here is the key for your room, hope you have a nice day." The woman told us, handing us both a key. I nodded to her and grabbed Natasha's arm, leading her towards the elevator. 

The hotel wasn't huge, however there was a certain kind of homeliness and cosiness about the place that made it truly charming. I scanned my card and opened the door to our room, surprised by what was inside. 

It was a quaint little room, with a kitchenette, loungeroom, table, bedroom off to the left and what I assume is a bathroom off to the right. There was also a little balcony at the end of the loungeroom which had a nice view of the busy street below. 

We both walked into the bedroom and plopped our bags down on the bed. There was only one bed, but Nat and I had slept in the same bed numerous times before, so I wasn't uncomfortable about the idea at all. 

"Guess I don't have to ask to sleep with you anymore." Nat quipped, as if reading my thoughts. 

"I suppose you don't." I answered, chuckling and plopping down on the bed next to her. 

"Hey, why don't we go and get some dinner at a restaurant that I saw on our way here?" She suggested and my heart immediately started beating faster. Going out after dark in the Germany I am used to is super unsafe. You could get killed even!

"After dark? No, we should stay here inside." I replied and she sighed, placing my hand in hers. 

"Steve, its safe, no one is going to get you. The war is over. Besides, I will be with you the whole time." She assured me, it did make me feel a little better. 

"But, if it makes you feel better, we can choose one a closer to the hotel?" She asked and I nodded, I have to get over my fears. 

"I guess it is just hard, when all I have ever known about Germany is war. For me, the war feels like yesterday. It's hard to accept that the war is over, and has been for nearly 70 years."  admitted and she got up and then lent over to scoop me into a hug. 

"I know, it's ok." She said softly into my neck. I wrapped my arms around her tightly and savoured the moment. I don't know what I would do without her. 

"Now, are you ready to go?" She asked as she got up and started searching through one of her bags. 

"Ok, and what are you doing?" I asked her as she continued searching. She then started taking out 2 handguns and boot knives, placing one in each boot, a gun on the inside of her belt and the other in her handbag. 

"Just in case." She replied simply as she then put on a leather jacket, chucking the jacket I had on earlier at me as well. I smirked at her, I guess she isn't the only one that has trouble accepting that she is safe. 

"Ok, Mrs Fischer, are you ready to go?" I asked her as I stretched my hand out to her invitingly. She reached out and held my hand, our fingers intertwining. 

"Yep!" She said as she opened the door with her other hand and we walked out into the hallway. 

I have a feeling that this mission is going to be a good one, especially with her by my side. I just hope that we both make it out safely, I couldn't live myself if we didn't.