The Embers Book I: The First...

By FantasyNovelist

Fire: It is one of the most destructive forces on this very earth. For Taylor Roth and Jamie Micheal's they a... More

Chapter One: Just Another Day.....If Only That Were True.
Chapter Two: Tales Of War
Chapter Three: Choosing A Path
Chapter Four: Escaping The Flames
Chapter Five: To War!
Chapter Six: Lessons
Chapter Eight: Forging Bonds And A Troubled Heart
Chapter Nine: We Burn Them All
Chapter Ten: Baiting A Predator
Chapter Eleven: Insolence
Chapter Twelve: Unexpected Arrival's
Chapter Thirteen: Hope And Despair
Chapter Fourteen: The Russian
Chapter Fifteen: Tradition
Chapter Sixteen: Necessary Aggression
Chapter Seventeen: Days Gone By
Chapter Eighteen: Hard Choices
Chapter Nineteen: Inferno
Chapter Twenty: My Vengeance
Chapter Twenty-One: Casualties Of War. FIN

Chapter Seven: Difficult Reunions

298 12 11
By FantasyNovelist

Chapter Seven: Difficult Reunions 

Without even caring Taylor sprinted to his family, instantly wrapping his mother in a huge bear hug before she even got the chance to say hello. He calmed the moment his mother freed her arms and hugged him back, stroking the back of his hair soothingly.

"Thank heavens your safe mum," said Taylor, trying not to cry.

His mother’s hair was cut just short of shoulder length in a new fashion she'd just caught on with as she usually did being a hairdresser, her hair was a dark brown very much like Taylor's. It matched her auburn eyes which Taylor had also gotten from her. She was in her early forties and still looked quite young despite her age. Arianne pulled out of the hug to take a good look at her son from her much shorter height, and that's when she noticed his eyes.

"Taylor are you wearing contacts?" asked Arianne still looking straight into his eyes, confused as she took in what she saw.

"No, why[O1] ?" questioned Taylor feeling puzzled himself.

"Honey, your eyes have turned blue, like a dazzling sky blue," said Arianne looking closer.

"Shit " thought Taylor now panicking like crazy trying to think of what to tell her. 

"Mum, I'll explain everything but it's going to take a while," said Taylor before turning to Ryne and Tobias.  They stood by the main doors. As for Jamie, he'd already rushed over to his family, excluding his brother who Taylor assumed was still in hospital.

"Could you bring them inside and get them something warm to drink? I think I'm going to have to tell them," said Taylor. Tobias opened his mouth to object but he saw the blazing blue in his eyes, and realised it was too late to keep things a secret

 "Okay, come on in everyone, I'll have some drinks sorted out. If you'll care to follow Taylor he'll lead you to the meeting room," said Tobias now with a smile, obviously wanting them to feel as welcome as possible.

Taylor looked to his father and sister. He hadn't hugged them. It just wasn’t something that happened in his family, really. They were close just not that close. His father Gregory was dressed in one of his suits for work he worked most of the time so he’d clearly been dragged away upon hearing his son was missing. The suit was all black including his tie and shinned black shoes he'd always taken his appearance at work seriously. His face was a spitting image of Taylor's while Taylor had his mother’s hair and eyes.

 His looks and build all came from his father so it was needless to say Gregory was just a thirty year older version of Taylor, with wrinkles along his forehead and a few stretched out on his hands and in other places.

Gregory's hair was jet black with a few streaks of grey in it giving him the look of a badger in a suit and tie. His eyes were a light brown in colour and sharp as a fox's. Maria wore a green cardigan with a light blue t-shirt on underneath along with tight black jeans and a pair of black daps. People always said they looked similar but for some reason Taylor could never see it.

She had brown eyes as well not as dark as his and not as light as their father's; just in between. She'd inherited their father’s jet black hair which was untied falling just past her shoulders. They all followed Taylor into the main building then through into the war room. He'd only said meeting room in front of them as he hadn't wanted to freak them out.

Jamie stayed behind with his family who had all been completely oblivious to the conversation which had just taken place. They were crying and hugging their son, and kept saying how happy they were that he was alright. Taylor tore his eyes away from the heart-warming sight and focused on the task at hand.

"So that's where you've been Darrell," called out Ryne from the main doors as Taylor came up level with him. Taylor looked about to see two men step out of each land rover.

"Sorry, sir, the escort called me and they had a tail on them so I went to help cover their tracks after they'd lost them. Then we stayed in a hotel for the night to play it safe," said Darrell.

He was roughly the same height as Taylor and by the looks of him not much older either. He had dark chocolate brown hair so dark you might mistake it for black. His eyes were of course the brilliant white of all Arturion's. Even though Taylor was a guy he had to admit he was good looking but you could tell that he was sharper than your average pretty boy.

Taylor gave Ryne a puzzled look as if to say 'what's this about?'

"Nothing for you to worry about at the moment Taylor, get your family inside and handle telling them... gently," said Ryne sensing his confusion he added the last bit in a whisper.

"Don't worry I can handle this Ryne. But thanks anyway," said Taylor with a smile.

He guided his family to the war room as quickly as possible to avoid delaying needlessly. Taylor came to the door of the war room, grasped the handle and swung it wide open. He gestured for them to take a seat on one side of the table in the middle as he sat down on the other side facing them.

It seemed such a strange situation. It was almost like he was briefing his own family. So Taylor got straight to the point as there was no point tip-toeing around the truth. They needed to hear it as it was. So he began from the attack on his college, to the arrival at the Arturion mansion. Then came the complicated stuff; Taylor's head hurt from trying to explain what Tobias and the others had told him and Jamie but he tried his best.

Apart from shocked looks of surprise and the odd gasp from his mother his family didn't say a word. Then he reached the attack on the mansion and to how he'd manifested his powers after that he'd moved swiftly on to the retreat to where they were now

"Taylor, we love you, but this sounds ridiculous! I just can't bring myself to believe this," said Gregory in a rough voice as he rubbed his temples in frustration. Taylor wasn't surprised. His father, being an MP, had always been sceptical unless provided with evidence. He didn't trust a man's word only his actions.

"I'll prove it to you then," said Taylor.

He removed the maroon hoodie he'd worn the day before and threw it down on the table so he was just wearing a white t-shirt. He took a deep breath, closing his eyes until he felt the familiar brush of feathers all across his skin representing the oxygen particles in the air. With but a single thought, he allowed his arms to roar to life with the deadly sky blue fire. It coursed its way up and down his arms licking at his skin but still never burning.

"I never chose this, I have to be this to protect you all and if I don't then who the hell will?" said Taylor.

 A tear fell down his cheek as he thought of all his family had gone through because of him, and the life they could no longer have. Until this stupid war was ended once and for all. The tear only made it as far as his cheek before the heat from his flames extinguished it.

It was the first time Taylor had really thought about the heat his flames gave off on the few occasions they'd covered his skin. He let the flames die to leave the t-shirt burnt up to his shoulders. He stood there, his head hung low, tears flowing anew as the true reality of the situation hit him. And Goddid it hit him hard. It was as if a heavy weight had been dropped onto his chest and all he wanted was nothing more than for it to be gone. He felt his mother embrace him as he sank to the floor and wept for what felt like hours but was only a few minutes as his mother cradled him and spoke softly to him.

"It's okay, honey, we believe you, we want you to be safe but I know that you want to see this through to the end. I will trust you to look after yourself and the others here around you as well including Jamie," said Arianne with a smile as Taylor lifted his head and looked into her eyes.

"There's always been strength in you. You were meant to do good in this world, just like a shining star in the darkness you'll always shine no matter what," said Arianne, cupping the side of Taylor's tear stained face with her gentle hand.

She looked upon her son with pride and love. He was shocked at how incredibly profound that was coming from her as she'd never shown such a side to herself before. She was only a hairdresser after all.

 He couldn’t help cracking a smile just before replying to her words "Thank you, mum, I'm just glad that you’re okay," said Taylor as he got to his feet wiping the tears from his face only to have his sister embrace him as well.

"Don't ever blame yourself for something like that little brother, we'll be your family no matter what," said Maria with a goofy grin as she looked at him.

"Ha, I'll do my best to remember that, sis, I promise," replied Taylor with a wink as he gave Maria a quick hug back. Taylor's father walked over to him next. His face Taylor couldn't read in the slightest; it was as blank as a slate.

"Don't get yourself killed son, but I agree with your mother and sister. We'll support you. I'm not going to lie, I don't approve, and the fact we weren't told straight away either is worse" said Gregory sounding annoyed.

"I know, dad, but we had no choice. We had to find the right time to tell you and not just throw it at you guys. You'd all think you were losing it otherwise," said Taylor.

"Alright, but please be careful Taylor, if not for yourself then for your family. We just don't want to lose you," said Gregory his voice starting to waver a little at the last part.

"You won't, I swear that to you," said Taylor.

After a few more questions Taylor and his family left the war room and went back to the front of the main building but Jamie and his parents were now gone. Tobias was outside by himself and strolled over to them from the land rovers smiling pleasantly.

"If you'd like to follow me Mr, Mrs Roth and Miss Roth we have accommodation available for you not far from where Taylor is now staying," he said, adding in a bow to them as sign of respect.

"Taylor, on the other hand, Ryne requires your presence out by the artillery ruins immediately," said Tobias with a firm tone as if to say not to argue with him which Taylor didn't. Taylor bid farewell to his family and promised to find them later.

Taylor did consider trying to use the transportation method the Arturion's so regularly utilised, but thought better of it. The only time he'd used it was in anger and couldn't remember how to. So he resigned to walking his way to the artillery ruins. When he arrived he found Ryne, Mylar and Darrell – who he'd met earlier – were all waiting for him.

"So why did you call me here?" asked Taylor wanting to get back to his family as soon as possible. Ryne obviously sensed Taylor's impatience, deciding to get right on with it without delay.

 "Well, as I said yesterday we had a new recruit with a special ability that would help us with our situation regarding the Cyturions being able to find us. This is Darrell, the one I briefly mentioned," said Ryne then continuing. "Mylar if you could demonstrate your unique talent for us?" He gestured to Mylar with a nod.

"With pleasure." Mylar smirked as he closed his eyes. They snapped open again but now his eyes were merely slits of pure white.

Then his muscles bulged and increased to twice their original size. He then walked over to the old artillery emplacement and as if it were air rammed his hand straight through it, making a fist sized hole in the stone then pulling his arm out immediately. All of Mylar's muscles had doubled in size from his calves all the way up to his neck giving him the appearance of a freakishly seasoned body builder, probably on every steroid in existence.

"Shit," was all Taylor thought to say at the display, mainly because he realised why he'd been so cocky when he'd boasted to Jamie about his fighting skills. If he punched Jamie the boy wouldn't have a head left. Ryne and Mylar merely laughed but Darrell stayed silent.

"Now Darrell if you could show Taylor what it is that you can do," said Ryne now smiling broadly.

Darrell faced Mylar and raised a palm, then as if an invisible force had struck the other Arturion’s muscular form he was knocked back a step. Gradually his muscles began to shrink back to their original size. He almost looked strange to Taylor now without his excess of muscle.

"What did you do to him?" asked Taylor still unsure what this "ability" of his actually was.

"I blocked his ability and locked it away. If he tries to use it now he won't have a chance," said Darrell casually with his palm raised still but ever so slightly.

"Darrell can also put up what you'd call a protective bubble across the area around him, protecting against any abilities coming from the outside," said Ryne. That's when it clicked in Taylor's head what he was getting at.

 "You can stop them from tracking us, but would they be able to find out where the interference is coming from?” said Taylor astounded at this new revelation.

"He is a sharp one Ryne. I can put my shield out to a distance of over ten miles protecting anyone within it. They shouldn’t be able, but we can’t know for certain. If they could they’d be here by now" said Darrell sounding very pleased with himself.

"Darrell here probably has the most powerful defensive ability we have ever seen and he's only so advanced after such a short time. Just think what he could do after years of honing such a gift," said Ryne his eyes gleaming in excitement.

"So they don't know where we are then?" asked Taylor looking to Darrell.

"I doubt it, the second Ryne knew that you were coming he got me to put up my shield just in case any Cyturion's tried an attack or to use an ability. Plus they've tried searching about I can feel whenever something tries to penetrate the shield," said Darrell.

"Then they’re probably aware that were protecting ourselves somehow" said Taylor.

"Yes, we've come to the same conclusion as well, Taylor, but we need to deal with this Cyturion and his ability," said Ryne.

"We don't even know where this person is though," said

"Uh, this is the part you’re not going to like though Taylor," said Mylar with a cheeky grin which couldn't be good.

"We’re going to have to use you as bait my friend," Ryne chuckled.

"You’re right, I definitely don't like this. Why does it have to be me anyway?" questioned Taylor looking straight at Ryne. But Darrell was the one that spoke in reply.

 "Because you are the prize. They won't care about anyone else, however, they will know it's a trap as they will fail to find us through their tracker.” said Darrell. Taylor sighed and rubbed his temples knowing full well it made sense and if he could keep his family safe then who was he to argue about how it was done.

"Okay fine, so when are we going to do this?" asked Taylor

"Three days’ time. In that time you’re going to train every day for four hours with Mylar to get you ready for battle. I'm not putting you in danger if you can't stand your own ground, and Tobias agrees with me in full on this," said Ryne.

"Okay, let's start now then," said Taylor eager to learn more about what he could do. He closed his eyes feeling the familiar brush of feathers then his arms to become wreathed in sky blue flames.

 "Come on then old man I haven’t got all day," jeered Taylor smirking at Mylar whose arms were also covered in his own white flames along with a grin plastered across his face.

"You are going to regret that, you’re Majesty," said Mylar with a mock of a bow before running straight for Taylor his fist pulled back. Taylor wasn't going to make it easy for him.

 As Mylar got within a few feet of him he slammed his palm to the ground, pouring his power out and forming a wall of blue fire in his mind. It formed exactly as he imagined it would, but upon impact with Mylar's fist it shook and broke apart, causing small embers of blue fire to fall to the ground. It had at the very least slowed Mylar down but that was it. Mylar then let a huge shield form in his hands covering his body and charged again.

 Taylor rolled to the side, creating a pair of short swords from his fire, determined to maintain them better than he had his wall of defence a moment ago. Taylor went on the defensive as Mylar got closer, slamming his shield into Taylor’s blades, who had crossed them into an X shape before him in preparation for the attack.

Taylor felt his arms shake and his joints groan in protest at the clash of the blades upon the shield, he tried to dig his heels in best he could to stay in a sturdy position. But he was gradually being pushed back by Mylar with sheer brute strength, and he wasn't even in his hulk mode either. Before Taylor could think of what to do next Mylar brought his leg forward sweeping Taylor's legs out from underneath him.

 As he hit the ground with a thud he felt the air leaving his lungs, causing him to gasp out in shock. A burning sensation crawled along the skin above Taylor's neck as Mylar leaned down with the bottom of his fiery shield right by his exposed flesh.

"Pretty spry for an old man, eh?" said Mylar grinning.

 The shield disappeared into nothing and his arms were bare of the white fire, now just showing well-toned biceps as he offered a hand to Taylor. Taylor let his fire die and took Mylar's hand as he was pulled back up onto his feet with little effort on his part.

"You still have a lot to learn Taylor. First of all, it's your attitude then we'll move onto the fighting," said Mylar, his eyes gleaming as smirked down at Taylor.

"Apparently so," said Taylor but not enjoying the fact that he had to admit it.

"Go to your family Taylor, you've all got some catching up to do. But I'll see you here at seven tomorrow morning for training," said Mylar.

"Seven in the morning? You can't be serious!" exclaimed Taylor, horrified at the thought of having to wake up so early.

"Oh, I'm serious. Now run along Taylor, see your family and get some rest my friend. You'll be needing it for tomorrow," said Mylar with one last grin as Taylor stalked away from the Arturions.

After finding his family he spent a couple of hours with them just chatting away about everything but what was happening, and he purposefully avoided telling them about what was going to happen in the next three days. They were worried enough as it was, even if they didn't say it. Their caravan was more or less the same as his apart from the outside which was coloured a deep dark red and lacked a garden, but it felt comfortable enough. Saying his goodbyes Taylor made his way back to his caravan which was only a few minutes’ walk away. His family's caravan was in perfect sight of his from the window of the living room inside.

"So how did it go?" asked a voice from behind him as he stared out the window. He looked over his shoulder to see Jamie leaning against the fridge looking concerned and it reflected in his voice.

"As well as it could have. I told them about everything; I didn't leave anything out and they took it pretty well," said Taylor turning to face his friend, taking a seat on the corner sofa and lifting his legs up onto it.

 "Good. At least they didn't scream bloody murder at you," said Jamie and Taylor could hear the change in his tone of voice.

“So tell me what happened, Jamie?" asked Taylor, worried of what he was going to hear.

"Well, I told them but not how I planned on it. As I was telling them I got upset I manifested right in front of them," said Jamie his eye's now downcast to the floor.

"Tell me everything, Jamie," said Taylor shifting his legs off the sofa so Jamie could join him and tell him his tale.

Jamie's POV

After Taylor had taken off into the main building with his family Jamie was taken to his parent’s caravan where they would be staying for the foreseeable future. They arrived at a white caravan with a small wooden fence about knee high surrounding a garden very similar to the one outside his caravan. Jamie led them inside while thinking how he was going to go about telling them all that had happened over the last few days and where he'd really been. No thoughts came to mind and it scared him shit less as his hand shook as he grasped the handle to the door of the caravan then he stepped inside. It was identical on the inside to his and Taylor's caravan and wondered if they were all exactly the same.

Jamie's parents came in after him, Jamie's father Matthew was a carpenter who owned his own business and his mother Julie worked for an accounting company and had always been very much the working woman. His father was a little taller than him with a rounded face and black hair cut as short as you can get before going bald just like his son minus the near baldness. His eyes were a light blue with a tinge of green in places which Jamie always thought strange. His mother looked very much like a person who would work in an office even wearing jeans and plain pink t-shirt you could just tell by her stern looks. She had black hair as her husband did with it done up into a ponytail showing off the sharp features of her face and her equally sharp brown eyes which missed nothing.

"Mum, Dad you'll want to take a seat before I tell you anything else it's going to be a lot to take in" said Jamie.

They took a seat without question but the confusion was clear on their faces as they looked to their son. Jamie began to tell them everything but just as he was getting to the part where the Cyturion's attacked the mansion when he'd been taken he found himself feeling scared at the thought of it. The look on the faces on two of the people he loved most in the world it just broke his heart. He fell to his knees clasping his hands over his ears as he felt a pain like nothing he'd ever felt before it was as if someone had set fire to his brain.

A ringing sound was assaulting his ears cancelling out all sound around him. His parents rushed over but before they got close the pain spread to his arms and they burst into flames they were white searing hot flames. A his skin screamed out in pain  it began to dull down to a feeling close to pins and needles. Jamie stood now able to hear again as the pain in his head ebbed away into nothing and the ringing had stopped as well. He lifted a hand up to his face turning it over to admire the fire licking across his exposed skin.

That's when his mother screamed, a blood curdling scream of horror as she looked at her son with nothing but fear in her eyes as she took in the sight. Without a word she ran out of the room and to the door then continued on outside out of sight.

"Dad I didn't mean to scare her I swear, I didn't even know that was going to happen" said Jamie panic now seeping into his voice causing it to shake and almost break mid-sentence.

"It’s okay son, she's just shocked I'll go talk with her but you have to understand this is an awful lot to take in" said Matthew in his husky Wiltshire accent.

Then he rushed outside to find his wife and try to calm her down and see some sense. Jamie looked to see that his flames had now died and all was left was his bare arms unharmed by them despite the pain he had just felt. He hoped that wouldn't happen next time

Once Jamie had finished telling Taylor what had happen he stood up shaking his head in what Jamie assumed was anger.

"I can't believe she reacted that way. You’re her son not some freak, she should be ashamed of herself," said Taylor in disgust his hands clenched into fists, causing his nails to bite into flesh.

"She'll calm down. She's never been that opened minded about things; I don't know why I was so surprised at her reaction to be honest," said Jamie tilting his head back and sighing deeply.

"Okay, if you say so," said Taylor but Jamie could tell he was still fuming.

"So what did Ryne want with you after seeing your parents, Tobias told me you were off with him when I asked where you were after seeing my parents?" asked Jamie.  

"Well, you’re going to love this," said Taylor and told Jamie about the events to come. By the time he was finished Jamie seemed worried about his friend being used as bait.

"I don't like it Taylor. Is a few days training going to be enough?" he pointed out.

"We haven't got a choice, I need to do this otherwise we'll be hiding forever and Darrell is working hard to keep our location a secret from them as it is," said Taylor determined to not let Jamie sway him from his decision.

"Yeah I know, I still don't like it so I'm coming with you. Someone has to watch your back after all," said Jamie sounding emotionally exhausted not even managing a smile like he normally would have.

Taylor placed a hand onto Jamie's shoulder and squeezed. "I can't think of anyone I trust more to watch my precious arse in a fight." Taylor grinned, causing Jamie to smile back with a hearty laugh.

Now there was the Jamie he knew.

AN: Right so there you have it Jamie's powers have manifested and I felt he deserved his own little bit in there towards the end as I haven't included him as much. I'm glad that I've gotten this published as I was worried I wouldn't with being so busy working and Christmas etc.

To my readers please vote and comment, don't be shy I welcome all feedback positive and negative so I can adjust the story if it lacks anything in anyone's eyes. I hope you enjoy this one and I'm aiming to get chapter 8 up by the end of Sunday again next week with any luck.

Happy New Year for tomorrow night and be Merry!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 61 24
When a small girl arrives at Aretuza, Tissaia takes her on as her first student and teaches her magic. An incident at the girl's Ascension night leav...
10.9K 290 18
Aenor's known Murtagh her entire life, he was there when she needed him, until he disappeared of course. Things change and people grow up and when Mu...
2.6K 105 22
Taylor Roth is a broken man. Haunted by the death of his family, he tries to put the pieces back together and find a place for himself in the world...
6 0 40
The land of Velum Veritatus has known nothing but peace for the last thousand years. After the scourge that ended the prosperous age disappeared, the...