š‘š”š‹š„š’ š€ššƒ š‘šŽš’š„š’

By daniyahwrites

(Completed) It is the year 1810, Lady Diana Beaumont and her cousin Lady Alicia Kirkpatrick's idyllic lives i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Epilogue
a sequel and such?

Chapter 17

305 27 1
By daniyahwrites

"I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO SAY," Mrs Frederica Fleming responded with a meek turn of her lips, after her nieces finished telling her all that they thought she needed to know—and that consisted of the gentlemen's introduction through their cousin Adam Seymour that day at the Southampton county fair, all the way to Lady Diana Beaumont meeting him in his office, leaving out the undignified argument he had presented because they did not want to further petrify their aunt.

They also left out the times the girls had met the gentlemen before the fair and after the office encounter—the ball introduction the ladies had gotten with Lord Buxton, that fated countryside walk they had engaged in with Lord Algernon as an added accomplice and that awkward confrontation they had all had when the ladies had been on their way to the Brockenhurst estate.

The last thing they wanted was their aunt to get the wrong idea. They were all huddled in Mrs Frederica Fleming's appointed guest room at Brockenhurst, while the boys ran around, engaged in a game that merely consisted of chasing after each other as carefully as possible so as to not receive a scolding from either their mother or their elder cousins. Lady Alicia Kirkpatrick had, upon thinking, come to the conclusion that if their aunt had already met Lord Buxton and Lord Algernon that day at the county fair, along with the rest of her family, than she would've been on mostly the same page as Diana and Alicia. And now that she thought about it, goodness knows where Uncle Arthur and Aunt Frederica had wandered off to that day, but then again, both of them could use the few minutes they managed to get to themselves, so the lady shrugged and let it go.

"Don't worry Aunt Frederica," Diana spoke with a confident smile. "You do not have to face either of them, Lord Buxton's only here because of Frank and his interest in the men's business. That is all. We promised to make sure you have a good time here in the open air and we intend to keep that promise." 

"I can have Aunt Agnes arrange separate lunches and dinners for all of us, we needn't spend even a second in their company," She added in determination. 

"Thank you girls, for thinking of me amidst this strange ordeal," Mrs Fleming finally spoke, her tone small and calculating as she took both of her nieces' hands and squeezed them in hers to assure that she was just fine. "But I would very much like to converse with him, instead of showing both the gentlemen my back."

Lady Diana Beaumont and Lady Alicia Kirkpatrick looked at their aunt in confusion—she seemed perfectly content with the idea of her husband's patronizing employer being under the same roof as her for the coming three days, and neither of the ladies were sure they had expected such a reaction. 

"Perhaps if I can strike up a proper acquaintance with Lord Buxton, it would be beneficial for Arthur," Their aunt spoke up then, hope twinkling in her eyes.

Her nieces, however, looked far from unsure as they exchanged glances with each other. It was so astounding to Diana, how moments sometimes proved how different her only uncle's wife was from all of her other aunts. She and Alicia had always thought of it as a good different, and just when Diana assumed she had perhaps seen all of Frederica Fleming's good qualities and her unjustly pure nature, her aunt would always shock her with something more every time.

Mentally, Lady Diana Beaumont tried to put herself in her aunt's shoes. Would she, a wife tired of her husband being away all the time with nearly not enough pay to compete with his efforts, a house and three children to take care of, be wanting to strike up a cordial acquaintance with her husband's employer? The very man whose absence could cure more than half of her worries? No, Diana would rather give him a piece of her mind than allow him her good opinion. But then again, Aunt Frederica was the wisest person she knew, and Diana was not.

"I dare say, that man does not deserve any good opinion, let alone yours, Aunt Frederica," Alicia spoke, making her sentiments at her aunt's wishes clear.

"Everyone does, my dear," came their aunt's earnest response, "Everyone deserves, at least once, to be understood and respected, despite their actions."

"Well, that didn't go as I expected," Alicia declared as she and Diana made their way to their own rooms just down the hallway, to freshen up for lunch.

"Aunt Frederica is full of surprises," Diana chuckled, lightening the tense atmosphere; after all, they were here to relax. They simply couldn't let a couple guests ruin their stay. "At least she's handling it better than I did."

"She doesn't know him like we do," Alicia justified, "She doesn't know how they can disguise their personalities like they did in Southampton and switch faces like they do here in Portsmouth. She doesn't realize that not everyone deserves the response she believes they do, some people are just constant in their ill selves regardless."

· • —– ٠ ✤ ٠ —– • ·

The Countess had arranged for lunch in the gardens of the Brockenhurst estate, under the open sky and amongst the scent of a dozen flowers and the hymns of bird songs. The sun looked as though it still hadn't made up its mind to set just yet, and had decided upon looming around for an hour or two more. A big round table had been arranged covered with neat white table cloth, just by the gazebo, as the servants rushed to make sure there were exactly enough plates and utensils, before the footmen came around holding silver dishes of food in their hands.

"The men won't be joining us for lunch, my dear," The Countess approached Lady Diana Beaumont, who was just standing near the table holding little Theodore's hand, waiting for everyone else to come before she took a seat. 

The Countess had changed entirely for lunch, switching out of her glamorous splendor to lighter and softer colors that still splendidly made her the most extravagant figure in the gardens.

"They will be having their lunch separately, towards east of The estate. I have asked Frank to oblige to the arrangement before we all properly sit down for dinner together, tonight."

Diana nodded in relief, observing The Countess's expressions, waiting.

"I honestly don't know why he thought proper for his business partners to be invited at the estate," Her Aunt Agnes sighed then. "It is entirely vulgar, if his father were here he would have been receiving a good scolding, because goodness knows Frank needs it! In fact I have good mind to write to my husband of his son's foolish endeavors."

Diana sighed in relief again, she had been waiting to see The Countess's view upon the matter, and now she was satisfied that they at least matched her and Alicia's own.

"I apologize my dear," The lady of the house continued, "If I would've known they'd be joining us, I would've told you or perhaps shifted this engagement for later. I cannot imagine how displeasing this all might be for Mrs Fleming, to have dinner with your husband's employer is distastefully awkward."

You cannot imagine how distastefully awkward it is for us as well, Diana thought, thinking of her and Alicia.

"What is done is done, Aunt Agnes. You don't have to apologize for anything," Diana beamed, a confident smile on her face, "We shall enjoy our stay here immensely, despite this small inconvenience, shan't we Theodore?" Diana turned to the eager little boy standing at her side as she kissed his hand.

Lunch was a happy and cheerful event, as the ladies all discussed the weather and the state of affairs of Southampton, all while munching on delicious delicacies such as crumpets and chicken sandwiches. The Countess particularly liked talking about that county, for she held it in such high regard. They discussed the season, and ultimately the weddings that were in store.

"Oh, they are all so excited," Alicia exclaimed as the lady of the house inquired of their cousin, Rebecca's engagement.

"The engagement ball preparations are in full swing as well," Diana added, as she took a sip of her drink, orange and lemon juice, her favorite.

"I can imagine," The Countess mused, "I take it your mother's sister, Lady Margaret Seymour, must be relived."

Diana bit back a chuckle as she nodded, Aunt Agnes could never help but be witty with all of her observations and declarations.

"Mrs Fleming, surely you're attending?" The hostess chided, turning to look at her guest, who had a warm smile on her face.

Frederica Fleming's smile softened more in pity, as her gaze lowered for a second, "I hope so, I can't really say anything for sure because of Arthur's work."

"She will attend, Lady Templemore," Alicia spoke confidently, "Diana and I will make sure of it."

Diana nodded, a smile playing on her lips, "Or else we shan't attend as well." Aunt Frederica looked horrified, as Diana smiled more, confirming her predicament.

It was time for dinner at the Brockenhurst estate and everyone retired to their rooms for the sole purpose of dressing up before they came down again. The Countess had appointed two ladies maids, for both Diana and Alicia, after she was horrified upon finding out that they had traveled to Portsmouth without their own. Diana looked into the mirror, as her appointed maid did her raven hair in a voluminous loose yet elegant do, high on her head. Some pieces were pulled out, from the back and from the front to frame her face, and then they were carefully curled using a hot iron. After her the process of her hair, Diana proceeded to put on her dress as the maid helped her fit into it. Her dress for the night was a deep plum colored one, with a round deep neckline and intricate black embroidery at the hem and the edge of the short puff sleeves,with which she wore a dainty pendant round her neck. It was one of her favorite dresses, another one that she had gotten designed by Madame Carp in Southampton. She had gotten it made for her twenty first birthday, the happy memories of which, flooded her as she gazed at herself in the mirror. The French seamstress had out done herself for each one of Diana's dresses. Putting on her elbow length silk lavender gloves, a maid helped Diana put on a pair of black pumps on her feet, and then she was off.

Speed walking along the hallway, Diana headed for Aunt Frederica's room and knocked on the door softly before entering. She helped a maid dress Michael and Theodore, while her aunt got her hair done and her dress put on. Alicia entered the room soon after, her hair done beautifully in a braided do high on her head, and her red dress flowing with her every movement.

"Arthur sent word," Aunt Frederica's suddenly spoke and she turned around to look at her nieces helping out with Michael and Theodore attire, "His shift will end late so he can't make it here. I wrote back and told him to rest and see if he could come tomorrow." Her eyes were dimmed but bright, and a sad small smile swept on her lips. Diana and Alicia nodded, but said nothing more. How cruel was it, that they were about to have dinner with the employer while the employee slaved away late into the night.

After everyone was ready, the party was off with a quick kiss on the sleeping newborn's forehead as he slept soundly in his cradle while a maid sat by his side.

Diana took Theodore's hand and walked ahead, with Alicia and Aunt Frederica following right behind with Michael.

"I'm so hungry," Theodore's soft voice floated into Diana's ears as they stepped down the staircase, and she looked down at him and smiled, "Me too. Now, when we sit at the table, you'll sit right by me so that I can make sure you finish your plate. Mama will sit by Lady Templemore, is that okay?" She finished, looking at her little cousin's expression for any discomfort. Diana wanted Aunt Frederica to relax while she was here, to engage in conversation and not worry about her children or anyone else while she and Alicia were hereto look after everything.

"Yes," The little boy exclaimed eagerly in relief, Diana wondered whether the reaction was because he thought he'd be made to sit next to someone he didn't know.

"Diana?" Another familiar voice came from behind as they were halfway down the staircase; Michael's hopeful face joined her and she couldn't help but smile. Her little cousins' faces alone made her light up from the inside.

"Diana, gentlemen are supposed to escort Ladies inside the dining hall, am I correct?" Michael asked, his face certain. Diana nodded, wondering why he'd be inquiring that.

"So, am I allowed to escort?" He asked again, his hopeful features lighting up. His cousin bit back a chuckle and nodded, to which the boy beamed his smile and joined his mother and Alicia behind. Diana shook her head playfully, Michael was always so thoughtful and boys his age typically don't tend to be like that. He was so hopeful and determined, so ready to grow up.

As the staircase's end drew closer, the dining hall entrance came into view, along with the party at Brockenhurst, all waiting outside for everyone to join before entering. Diana felt everyone's eyes on them as they stepped down the final steps of the undeniably long staircase. Looking up she first saw her Aunt's figure in all her authority, approaching as she smiled at her.

"How beautiful you look my dear," The Countess gushed, "And right on time."

As the remaining party followed the hostess back to the entrance of the dining hall, Diana's gaze suddenly met that of Lord Edward Buxton's, his eyes intently on her from where he stood, and her nerves seized as she lightly squeezed the tiny hand she was holding. Theodore looked up at her, his little eyes peering at his cousin, trying to make sure if she was fine. Realizing what she had done, she quickly looked at Theodore and smiled an assuring smile, making a mental note not to unintentionally squeeze the poor boy's hand again.

"You do look lovely, Diana," Frank's voice came and Diana looked up to find her cousin's determined smile greeting her. "So you do you, Frank," She responded with a playful chuckle which he returned.

"Mr Fleming hasn't arrived yet," He spoke, slight confusion on his face.

"Yes," Diana sighed, "Uncle Arthur sent word that his shift ends late. He'll hopefully join us tomorrow."

"I look forward to meeting him, whenever he decides to join us," Frank chided, a determined smile on his face.

Diana heard Michael's voice from behind, as she turned to look at him, "Mama, may I escort you into the dining hall?" She saw Aunt Frederica chuckle and take her son's hand as they made their way inside right after The Countess. Alicia quickly came and joined Diana and Frank, possibly fearing one of the two other gentlemen, who had not yet entered the dining hall, might speak to her.

Frank noticed her urgency and with a swift smile, instantly extended his arm out for her to take, "May I?"
Right before Diana started to follow her cousins into the hall, a slight protest came from Theodore's lips and she quickly stopped and looked down at him.

"Diana, if Michael gets to e-escort mama, c-can I escort you?" Theodore spoke in his plush voice and Diana laughed, not caring if the men behind her heard her, "Of course darling." And they both walked into the hall joining the others at the table. As they all took seats, Diana helped Theodore onto a seat right to hers, while Alicia took the seat to Diana's left.

"I w-wanted to ask y-you before t-that mister could," The little boy quietly spoke, stuttering as he formed a full sentence. Diana as well as Alicia, who had just heard him, looked at him, confused.
"I know you d-don't like him."

Diana froze a little as she realized how obvious she had been with her discomfort in front of her little cousin, exchanging a glance with Alicia, she looked in her little cousin's eyes, "Of course I don't like him, He looks like a grumpy old cat and he can't make me laugh as you do," she ended with a hushed chuckle as she leaned sideways to tickle him. Theodore laughed, his baby laugh drowning out among the boisterous environment of the dining hall. Diana sighed in relief as she saw his concerns melt away, at least for the time being.

Dinner was being served and Diana took the opportunity to cast an observing glance at everyone at the table. The Countess was seated at the head of the long rectangular table, with Aunt Frederica on her right, just next to Alicia, while Frank was seated to his mother's left. Lord Buxton and Long Algernon sat right next to Frank, and right in front of Diana and Alicia.

As everyone ate, Frank conversed about his father's business in London and then the men started comparing business advancements in Portsmouth and London altogether. It was a dreadfully out place topic for conversation at the dinner table, and Diana was just beginning to realize how oblivious Frank had become to minor social etiquette such as this one.

"Frank, pray talk about something else," She spoke up in a teasing tone, a smile playing on her lips, "I'm afraid you'll bore us ladies to death."

Frank laughed from where he sat, then with his eyes looking at Diana with charm, he uttered, "What do you want me to talk about, dear cousin?"

Before Diana could respond, someone else spoke up and the sound of the familiar voice dimmed her smile, "Business is, in fact, a vital part of dinner table conversations in these parts." She turned to face Lord Buxton, who sat opposite to her as he cast an observant look, waiting patiently for her response to his predicament as he took a sip of his drink.

"It may be," she responded confidently, her eyes bearing into his, "But the Brockenhurst estate does not come under the category of these parts, Aunt Agnes prefers intelligent conversation at this table, and your business endeavors do not fall under that."

"Precisely," The Countess's declaration came, and Diana turned to look at her smiling, "You should know Lord Buxton, that my niece and I are quick judges of character just by the conversation a man chooses to present at the dinner table. And our interest once lost, is lost forever."

Lord Buxton's stoic expression shifted in thought and subtle amusement, as his gaze landed from the hostess, back onto Diana again, "Isaac and I will keep that in mind."

"This is a beautiful estate," Lord Algernon chimed in, changing the topic, "There aren't many here the likes of this one, Lady Templemore."

"Mother quite adores the traditional Southampton look of estates, hence why she had this one altered to her liking after her marriage," Frank responded.

"Indeed," The Countess shot a determined look at Lord Algernon as she swallowed down a bite of roasted potatoes, "Tell us about your estates, gentlemen?"

Isaac Algernon smiled, finally a topic he could discuss without offending anyone present. "Turnbury Park is just thirty miles east from here. I like to say that it is entirely splendid, but it is nothing compared to The Brockenhurst estate I must admit. We have an abundance of greenery as well as simple pleasures such a big lake on grounds. My mother and sisters think the estate is perfect as it is, but of course, I shall decidedly form the opinion if the future Lady Algernon says the same too." Isaac shot an unintentional glance at Alicia, who instantly looked away from him resulting in a sharp decline in the train of his thoughts as he struggled to focus on what he was saying, "So yes, Turnbury Park really is something. Having grown up there, I can't ever call another place home."

"What about you, Lord Buxton?"

"Berkshire Abbey, my lady," Lord Buxton responded, as he cleared his throat, "It stands only ten miles west from Turnbury Park. It too, cannot be compared to Brockenhurst in any way. But my family takes pride in our family Abbey. It was built during the reign of Henry VIII, and stands as a reminiscent to the Tudor architecture, having been in our family for generations. That being said," He paused, as he cast a glance towards Diana, "I don't ever plan to alter it, no matter who says so." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

425K 25.5K 26
It was the time of Prince Regent's rule on England when in the relatively small village of Bedfordshire, an impoverished companion-the daughter of an...
191K 8.3K 36
Meet Emma Zennor, a down to earth country girl who finds happiness in small things. Emma never dreamed of finding a love match, but she didn't exp...
173K 8.7K 64
š˜š˜µ š˜Ŗš˜“ š˜µš˜©š˜¦ š˜ŗš˜¦š˜¢š˜³ 1810. š˜›š˜©š˜¦ š˜Æš˜¦š˜ø š˜‹š˜¶š˜¬š˜¦ š˜°š˜§ š˜‹š˜¢š˜­š˜¦š˜“ š˜©š˜¢š˜“ š˜µš˜¢š˜¬š˜¦š˜Æ š˜¶š˜± š˜µš˜©š˜¦ š˜„š˜¶š˜µš˜Ŗš˜¦š˜“ š˜°š˜§ š˜µš˜©š˜¦ š˜„š˜¶š˜¬š˜¦š˜„š˜°š˜® š˜¢š˜§š˜µš˜¦...
200K 9.2K 14
(COMPLETED) It's 1817 and there is nothing more a woman wants than to marry a rich man and live a life of comfort. But not Nancy Brooks. Having spe...