The First Queen (Currently Be...

By Alexis_the_Greatest

Queen Eleanor of Alendar. Daughter of King Richard the Wise, and the first female ruler in the Alagorian line... More

Copyright Statement
Prologue (Updated)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
A/N
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
A/N
Chapter 29: Part 1
Chapter 29: Part 2
Aloha!!!
A/N
Chapter 30
Epilogue
Thanks
A/N: Confusion
Sneak Peak for Book 2 of "The First Queen": Tipping Thones
A/N: Well, damn!
Update for Book Two!
Tipping Thrones Is Up!!!
BIG NEWS!!!! (PLEASE READ!)
Some Important News

Chapter 13

10.1K 450 13
By Alexis_the_Greatest

        Millions of reasons were buzzing in my head as to why Katarina wanted an audience with me. But one thing I was most certain that these possibly had in common was that they had to do with Darien, her prized possession. Everything that he asked for as a child, from more food to a new servant, he got without a blink of an eye. Luckily, I didn’t learn the hard way in realizing that her love for me was nonexistent; the way she looked at me and talked about me when I was in the same room as her said it all. At the beginning of my reign, the tension between us as we walked passed the other in a corridor was evident, but you know the best part was that she had to curtsy one way or another.

     My near-skipping came to a fast walk as I moved towards my chambers, giving a nod of acknowledgement and a soft smile at those who passed by. Just as I was reaching the end of the long corridor before I made a left and reached my destination, a commotion from behind me caused me to stop.

     “But I really want to meet her! She’s a queen! And she’s so pretty,” said a child’s voice. I turned to find the youngest of Francis’ sisters, Harper I believe, struggling from the fierce hold of Juliette. Poor Juliette tried to keep the girl calm, giving apologetic glances at some of the disturbed court members nearby.

     “Harper, I told you. Queen Eleanor is a very busy woman, yes I understand that you want to see her but – no, Harper you can’t go find her right now – Why? Because she might be busy -,” said Juliette as she tried to console her sister. I didn’t want to intrude, and I was running late, so I turned quickly back onto my path and tried to make an escape when an excited scream echoed from all ends of the corridor.

     “QUEEN ELEANOR!!!,” shouted Harper, and by the time I turned around with a smile to cover the pain that went through my ears, the little girl was already tugging at the skirt of my dress, looking up at me with eager eyes. Juliette looked from me to Harper in shock, trying to put words in her mouth.

     “Your majesty, I am so sorry! Harper has been wanting to meet you since she was asleep at the docks, and -,” I gently raised my hand to stop her.

     “It’s all right, Princess Juliette, no harm done,” I said as I knelt down to Harper’s height, my dress bunching up a bit at the bottom. She grinned at me and my heart melted for this little girl. Crossing my arms to help balance myself, I gave a soft smile.

“I – its s-s-so nice to m – me – meet you,” stuttered Harper as she turned red, turning her eyes down to her fingers. I looked up at Juliette who gave me a weak smile as I tried to think of a reply.

“You know Harper, I have to go get ready for the ball tonight but how about this. You’ll be my first dance of the night. How does that sound?” She squealed while nodding rapidly, and I rose up, surprised to see some court members looking at what had just transpired. I lightly patted Harper’s head, nodding with a smile in response to Juliette who mouthed a silent thank you. I gave Harper a sweet smile before returning to finish my way to Katarina.

As I have said before, Katarina and I have never been, nor ever will be, on good terms. For her to request an audience would be something out of the ordinary, but at this time and hour, I way on high alert. What she has in store for me is yet to be uncovered.

Walking into my chambers, I saw that Buckingham was already waiting at the door that connected to my office, where Katarina waited. I was about to open the door when he gently grabbed my arm.

“There are guards waiting outside the office doors, Eleanor. Precautions have already been made, just as you have ordered,” he said. That’s right, I thought. I had told him to do so as I was getting ready to meet Veronica.

“Thank you,” was all I said in a quiet voice. Picking my head up, I gathered all my strength and wit together to build up my fortress.

     “Let’s do this.”

     Opening the door, I strode in with the confidence of a queen but the presence of unsurpassed authority. The woman whose once golden hair had married men drool while their wives stood by rose from the seat in front of my desk, her back towards me. When she turned to face me, the smile that was on her face as her eyes met mine made the fire inside of me become a volcano. That is how much I hate her.

     “Your majesty,” she said with a curtsy as I made my way over to my side of the desk, taking my seat and gently laying my hands on the two arms. I was in no mood to hear the false words that she carefully sugarcoated fall from her lips.

     “Make this quick, Katarina, I have a country to rule. Well, actually, I have to prepare for a war against someone whom we both know all too well,” I let out, my voice like a quiet storm just before the rain turns to snow, then hail.

     She let out a sigh before sitting back in the chair across from me. “My, my, haven’t you become such a fiery little thing. Weren’t you taught to respect your elders, your majesty,” Katarina replied, the venom already evident in her voice.

     “Respect, Katarina,” I said, knowing I was going to enjoy the next part, “is earned. You have not my respect, nor will you ever. Now, enough about respect and how much we despise each other. You’re here because your gold child in the channel with a large fleet of rebels, waiting to strike upon the capital and take my throne. Tell me, do you want to see him, be with him? Because if that is why you are here then I will be more than happy to hand you over to him. You mean nothing to me so I don’t see why I should keep you in the palace. Hard to believe it, right? That the Queen Mother supports the rebel party and not the child that is the actual ruler. Well, in your case, Katarina, I’m not surprised.”

     She said nothing in reply to my words until after a few seconds of staring at me, trying to read what else I had in store. That’s one thing I must have inherited from her; reading people. She was known for it, making her a key asset in the beginning of her marriage to my father; but I was much better.

     “You poor thing,” she said, making me already know that I was not going what she had to say, “you think that just because you are the Queen of Alendar you get to order me around. I am your mother, but I am also the mother of the rightful heir. To be honest, you were an accident. You were not meant to be a part of this world.”

     I blanked out after I heard the word “accident.” For some reason, even though she never cared, it hurt. A little part of me seemed to crumble a bit. Wait – what I am I saying. I’m a good accident. Letting out a quiet chuckle, I got the look I wanted as Katarina made a face of confusion.

     “I’m lucky to be an accident, aren’t I? I mean, look at me now. Look at what I have done to make Alendar a better place. You may say I’m an accident, Katarina, but I’m an unexpected miracle that this kingdom has been wanting for a long time. By the way, I don’t know if word has reached your quarters yet, but the so-called rightful heir nearly killed me. Don’t hide your emotions Katarina. You would have been dancing in your petticoat down the streets of Carpo singing in gladness to know that Darien would be on the throne. But you know what would happen? The joy of his victory over my death would be short-lived – just like my reign if I were to die. The people of Alendar will not rest until Darien in taken down, and you along with him if it be so. If you don’t have anything else to tell me Katarina, then you may escort yourself from my sight. If you wish to attend the ball tonight, you may on one condition. Stay out of my bloody way and most importantly, stay away from Francis. You disgust enough me as it is and I know what kind of danger you possess. You nearly killed my father after all. Like mother like son, am I right,” I finished. To be honest, I was blown away by my speech. Take that, mother.

     Katarina stared at me with wide eyes, shocked that her accident had just put her in her place. Standing up from her seat, she hissed quietly an acknowledgment of my title before leaving the room, but not without having a final word.

     “Darien will not hesitate to shed your blood again, Eleanor. He wants to win, and he will,” she said at the door, looking back at me one last time.

     I merely shook my head with a soft smile. “I don’t believe I have any intention of losing. Good day, Katarina.”

     Katarina gave me an unreadable look one last time before making her exit. Once the door clicked shut, I slumped back into my seat, letting out a frustrated sigh. The sound of the door to my chambers opening drew eyes over to find Di look in with a worried look. I gave her a sad smile as I beckoned her to come in.

     “How much of that did you hear?”

     “Enough to know that you need something to cheer you up,” said Di, making me laugh in response as I got up with a bit of struggle. What is it about Di making my corset so tight?

     “Enlighten me, please,” I said, pinching the bridge of my nose and I felt a headache come one. Great, just what I needed.

     “Ladies,” said Di, ushered out two maids who supported a dress that made me happily smirk. Turning back to me, “what do you think?”

     “I think I have a ball to get to.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 129 42
At a certain juncture of time in the Middle Ages. A tyrannical king ruled his kingdom with an iron fist. His every whim was law, and his subjects liv...
553 36 24
Dragons live on most of the land, and with the human population growing, the humans and the dragons are at war. Adelaide is a fourteen year old g...
1.1K 218 72
Volume Three of the Ontogeny series. The human world is aflame with war. Nations clash with their neighbours, while the Kelvon Empire, bulwark of th...
278 18 22
In the year 1453, a queen overlooks a corrupted kingdom. Her name is Queen Alyssia of Harringdale, daughter of the late King Alexander. While the re...