The Billionaire's Getaway Try...

By miracle-06

Valerie Jones, a 25-year-old copywriter, aspires to be a senior content editor in the advertising world and w... More

~The Billionaire's Getaway Tryst~
~Prologue~
~Chapter 01~
~Chapter 02~
~Chapter 03~
~Chapter 04~
~Chapter 05~
~Chapter 06~
~Chapter 07~
~Chapter 08~
~Chapter 10~
~Chapter 11~
~Chapter 12~
~Chapter 13~
~Chapter 14~
~Chapter 15~
~Chapter 16~
~Chapter 17~
~Chapter 18~
~Chapter 19~
~Chapter 20~
~Chapter 21~
~Chapter 22~
~Chapter 23~
~Chapter 24~
~Chapter 25~
~Chapter 26~
~Chapter 27~
~Chapter 28~
~Chapter 29~
~Chapter 30~
~Chapter 31~
~Chapter 32~
~Chapter 33~
~Chapter 34~
~Chapter 35~
~Chapter 36~
~Chapter 37~
~Chapter 38~
~Chapter 39~
~Chapter 40~
~Chapter 41~
~Chapter 42~
~Chapter 43~
~Chapter 44~
~Chapter 45~
~Chapter 46~
~Chapter 47~
~Chapter 48~
~Chapter 49~
~Chapter 50~
~Chapter 51~
~Epilogue~
~Bonus Chapter~

~Chapter 09~

4.8K 168 340
By miracle-06

At last it was the weekend that actually felt like one. Ever since the campaign was bustling full fledged, half the department was working on Sundays as well. Nobody including me really minded it but I didn't know that I needed a break so badly until today. Until I finally got it.

'Welcome to New York' was blasting in my headphones as I cycled on the streets of New York. A befitting song as I cruised around with a small smile on my face.

Wanting to spend my day alone, I decided to go cycling around the neighborhood, read a book and have a nice picnic in a less crowded park, which is ironic in this city even on Sundays.

After an hour of music, freedom and cycling, I made my pit stop in a park. Leaning my bike against an oak tree and taking out my brunch packet along with a small blanket from my bike's basket, I breathed in the fresh air.

Once I was done placing everything, I sat down on the blanket and tightened my jacket around me. The cold and chilly air of October made me shiver but I loved it.

I had chosen a secluded part, away from the squealing children, giggling couples and fitness enthusiasts jogging around. However I turned to my right when I heard a few males hollering happily. I tilted my head when I saw that the football court park was just adjacent to the park I was in.

So much for a secluded corner. I shook my head in disappointment.

My eyes absent-mindedly went back to the football park and saw the shirtless guys looking all passionate toward the game. They seemed to be older than high schoolers and university boys but still possessed a high energy which was great. I had to roll my eyes to not stare at them creepily.

Unlike my father, I have never understood the game and its rules nor have I been a fan. Within a few minutes, I found the match dull and got bored so I retrieved my book from the basket.

I leaned back against the tree, trying to get into a comfortable position before putting all my attention to reading the original series of Sherlock Holmes.

Not even fifteen minutes into reading, I heard a clearing of the throat in front of me. My face immediately contorted into a scowl for being disrupted.

Slamming the book shut, I looked up with a raised brow. Although I quickly changed my impudent expression when I saw the familiar gray eyes of Skye twinkling with mirth as his lips curved into a smirk.

"Hey." I laughed, embarrassed and put my book down. He was wearing football clothes and I instantly understood where he was coming from. I was glad to know that he had the decency to put on his shirt because I don't think I could have handled him shirtless very well.

Skye's hair was slicked back because of the sweat whilst he quickly wiped the perspiration on his face with the hem of his jersey. While doing so, I got a peek of his abs and I blushed profusely with my racing heart on cue. Not wanting to be caught staring, I looked down and hid my face behind the curtain of my curls.

I wiped my cheeks as if it would help the blush vanish even when one could hardly notice it.

"Are you being stood up?" Skye finally spoke up and I didn't dare to meet his gaze. His tone sounded as if he was teasing me.

"Nah, my body, soul and mind asked me to hangout with them today." I grinned and he chuckled, shaking his head.

"Is this some modest way of saying that I should leave you alone even before I ask if I can join you?" He asked me with a raised brow before crossing his arms across his chest.

I started laughing at his words as well as at him trying to look intimidating. Keyword being trying. He couldn't keep the solemn expression anymore either and joined me.

My mind flashed back to the night a week ago when we had both sat together after the shoot of the television commercial. A small smile lit up my face when I remembered our brief hug. His arms around me was the best comfort I could ever ask for.

Every night since that, all I could think about was being wrapped up in his arms. It has helped me doze off more quickly than before. No worries and no problems hiding under my bed. Just him and I on the makeshift street watching the dark skies and talking about the deep stuff.

For the love of God, I can't even tell what is going on with me. It's not as if I am liking someone for the first time.

"Wow, man. I didn't think you had it in you, buddy," someone spoke.

When I looked up, I saw a guy with dark hair and blue eyes, the same age as Skye, beaming at us weirdly. Apparently, Skye happened to know him with the way he passed him a dry look.

That guy was leaning his shoulder against the netted barricade, looking clearly smug.

"Shut up, assh-" Skye quickly stopped himself before glancing at me with an imperceptible red tint on his cheeks. He cleared his throat and looked back at his friend. "Asshat."

"Ooh, looks like I just got demoted in the insult category," the guy said sarcastically. "As if that's any better. But hey, you're making progress in a lot of fields lately." He winked at Skye before putting his entire attention on me.

I was watching the exchange with amusement. "Hey, I am Ivan. Best friend of this hot yet sadly brooding man here," he introduced himself with a flirty smile. He crossed his wrists outside the barricade and leaned more closer to the net.

"I am Valerie," I said, almost on the verge of laughing. He must have seen my expression because soon we were both in a laughing fit.

When I turned to look at Skye who was still towering over me a few feet away, he was glaring at us or more specifically at Ivan. It was as if he seemed to intercept our not so covert exchange. "What's so funny?" He asked after shooting daggers with his magnetic eyes.

"Is that jealousy I sense? Wow, I-"

I cut him off before he could even finish his sentence. "He doesn't have to be. I don't even like you. I mean - I… don't like you romantically?" I rushed out my words and soon regretted saying them. Smooth, eh?

"Ouch." Ivan put a hand on his heart and suppressed his grin at the same time.

"But I was not even jealous," Skye defended himself, looking like he would die out of embarrassment. Well, that makes the two of us, then.

Ivan completely ignored his statement and looked at me with a sly smile. I could already feel the wheels churning inside his head.

"What do you want, Ivan?" Skye asked his friend with a stern look.

I was relieved by that intervention because Ivan's stare was making me uncomfortable. Not in a creepy way but like a kid with a switch on his light bulb.

"Oh, nothing. Just admiring how you're so interested in a girl," he said as if I wasn't even present there so I raised an eyebrow at him.

"I-" Skye began to say something but he cut him off with a wave of his hands.

Ivan then turned to me with a huge grin. "I swear I have never seen him talking to girls his age." He started laughing.

"Thank you but you can shut up now." Skye glared and picked up a pebble. He hurtled it in his best friend's direction who easily dodged it by taking a step away from the netted barricade.

However, my complete attention was on Skye. I looked at him with this different feeling in my heart. It was new to me and I couldn't really figure it out. And every second it just increased even more, making me chicken out for some reason.

My heart was beating fast and my already existing veneration for him took up a top notch. He's an enigma and I wanted nothing more than to know him.

Why? Because I like him. There, I said it. And yet, I wasn't so sure about it. I have known through the rumors that he doesn't date nor does he mingle with girls usually but it still came off as a surprise to know that it's true.

He's like a lotus that's yet to bloom. But once all its petals start opening, it smiles and it's one of the most enchanting sights ever. His layers are just like those closed petals but once he'd push them off, maybe I'd understand him more. And maybe, just maybe, I would feel more than just "like".

I was brought out of my chain of thoughts when I heard someone's loud shout. "Hey, man, Scott! Get yo ass back here!"

Looking up, I saw Ivan waving at a huge, well built, dark skinned guy. "Just give me a sec, Fred!" He yelled back.

"Good. Now leave," Skye commented with a smirk and Ivan laughed.

"Oh, no, no, no. There's something I need to do before I go, Skye." His eyes then averted back to me but his gaze was smouldering. He wanted to crack up with the way his lips were twitching but he held it in.

Whereas, me on the other hand, started guffawing at his innocuous shenanigans. When he saw Skye scowling, he upped his game by winking at me seductively.

That's when I lost it as I couldn't take it anymore and covered my sputtering and gasping laughter with my hands. I knew he was doing it to tease Skye to get on his nerves. Although it really was affecting him and I could tell that he was embarrassed for his friend's act.

"Definitely jealous," he whispered loudly, held his thumbs up and winked again before disappearing back to his team.

I was still smiling when I looked back up at Skye who was sulking with the way his brows were tightly furrowed and a grimace on his face. "Sorry for my best friend. He's a bit… frolicking kinda person. And annoying me is his favorite hobby."

"It's all right. He's funny."

"Yeah, well…" he trailed off and sat opposite me. "Even though you don't want me to join you, I am here for some free food." He beamed, changing the topic.

"And here I thought you were a billionaire," I said, feigning obliviousness and unpacked my brunch. "P.S.: I never said that you couldn't join me, you just assumed."

Shaking his head, he rumbled with laughter and I just smiled at the sight. He really looked happy and free.

"Also, a quick question. Do you like PBJ sandwich?"

"PBJ sandwich?!" He exclaimed.

"Wait, let me guess." I showed him my palms. "You don't like it."

"Are you kidding me?! I love PBJ sandwiches. It's my comfort food. Reminds me of those days when my mom would make them for me. It's her way of pampering me. She cannot for the life of her cook." He laughed heartily with a wistful look. "Reminds me of home," he whispered with a smile.

"Wow." I breathed and grinned impressively. "I mean, almost everyone I know doesn't like it."

"Predictable… but I love it."

After finishing our brunch and talking for some time, Skye's attention was pulled away by the obnoxious hollers coming from the football court park.

He turned sideways, now facing the court with a vying anticipation for one of the two teams. His hands twitched as if he wanted to change the strategy or something while his lips were pressed tightly against his teeth.

Knowing that he's busy and I couldn't retain his attention to look at me even if I wanted to, I went back to reading my book.

I couldn't tell how much time had passed but I was startled when I heard another round of cheers and one clearly louder than the others.

My wide eyes went toward Skye who was incessantly throwing his fists in the air with the biggest grin I've ever seen him sporting. Sure he smiled, laughed and chuckled but this huge smile lit up his entire face.

There was not a single ounce of diffidence in his posture but rather a complete contrast to that right now. I couldn't help the awe in my own eyes. Whenever I had seen him during the work hours, he looked slumped and weary but the spirits he was exuding right now could be felt even from miles away. A beautiful radiation.

He must have felt my stare because he turned to me fully and I leaned back against the tree. Sure I'd analyzed his idyllic behavior from his side face but when he completely faced me, I was even more stumped.

Skye's cheeks were flushed from grinning too much, his eyes sparkling brightly with his ears perked up. "What?" He asked, suddenly feeling shy and casting his eyes on the ground.

"You really love football, don't you?" I smiled. My question was more like a rhetorical one.

He sighed, his smile fading a bit and I wanted him to go back to his happy self. "Yeah." He shrugged, giving a sidelong glance toward his mates.

"Then why did you come here?"

"What do you mean?" He seemed to have been caught off guard and gave me a bewildered look.

"Like, you should have played the match instead of sitting on the sidelines, meaning here and wasting your time with me," I explained, laughing but it wasn't funny. The last part of the statement made my heart strain. Like there was a tug at it but not in a good way.

"Why would you say that?" He frowned as if offended. "I didn't waste my time. I mean, you fed my lonely and growling tummy." He patted his stomach and I started cackling in amusement.

"Touché."

"So…"

"So." I pursed my lips to not sputter out a laugh again because he seemed to be struggling a bit to start a conversation.

He rolled his eyes and huffed. "You were working out before?" He asked, referring to my clothes.

I followed his gaze and looked down at my leggings, tank top and a jacket paired up with my trainers. "Oh. No. Like, I was just cycling around," I told him, jerking my thumb behind me toward my bike.

He nodded his head and it was silent again. My eyes involuntarily fell back in the court to see everyone dispersing about or cleaning off their sweat with towels. "Are you…" Skye trailed off and I furrowed my brows at him in question.

"Yeah?"

"Are you up for another round of cycling mania?"

"Why? You have your bike too?" I inquired, enthused and he rubbed the back of his head, looking almost abashed.

"Actually… no. But I was thinking we could share… the same bike if you don't mind?" He seemed nervous as if expecting me to decline his offer.

I must have astounded him with my smile because he relaxed almost immediately. "Sure, I'm up for it. But."

"But?"

"But, we'll take turns to sit in the front, like switch places on the bike after some time."

"Deal." He chuckled, sweeping some hair back from his forehead. His deep chuckle shot tingles throughout my body and yet again I was surprised by this foreign reaction. Who was I kidding again?

This new feeling was exciting but scary at the same time, I thought as my lips parted.

Skye excused himself to go change into his normal clothes while I mulled over my thoughts regarding this pull I was feeling toward him. My heartbeat quickened and I quickly packed all my stuff before I could get carried away.

These feelings were invading my logical side but every time I am in his presence, it's like I don't care about anything. Don't care about being prim and proper about stuff. It's like I am free without even realising it at that moment.

While I stood waiting with my bike outside, I saw Skye exiting the football court with a frustrated pout followed by a smirking Ivan.

When he saw me, Ivan slung an arm around Skye's shoulders and patted once. "Hey, Val! My friend here's frustrated." His face took on a weird expression which was borderline sexual. "Just give him a nice-"

"Shut up!"

"I swear Ivan, I am gonna knock you out with that football if you finish that sentence!"

Skye and I exclaimed at him in unison and he flinched with a confused look. But I could tell that he was pretending. "What the hell, guys? I was just gonna say that… give him a nice… warm… hug!" He started choking up on his own laugh, slapping his knees.

All the blood drained from my face and I couldn't even find myself to look at any of them because of how embarrassed I was. However I sneaked a glance at Skye who was glaring at his best friend while looking just as much ashen.

He just had to take one look at me and slapped Ivan's head upside down who groaned annoyingly. I suppressed a smile at his cute gesture and crossed my arms across my chest.

Tilting my head downward for just a second, I looked back up to see Ivan giving us both a sly wink before skipping off toward his car.

"I am sorry about him. He's just-"

"Two sorrys in a span of an hour or two. That too on behalf of your buddy, huh? Do something legitimately wrong and I'll consider your apology to be qualified as one maybe," I spoke with an attitude and swatted an imaginary dust on his shoulder.

He stared down at my hand and I quickly retreated it back. I felt relieved though when he just grinned. It was the same carefree grin I'd witnessed in the park. The same grin he had on while watching his friends play football.

It's because of this same grin, I felt the same tingles shooting up my arm or maybe because I'd touched his shoulder. Does it even matter? It's the same thing anyway.

My eyes quickly swept over his attire and they honestly weren't disappointed. He was wearing a black, full sleeved turtleneck with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows and dark wash jeans. His hair was kempt and all pushed back.

"Hop on, Valerie. We haven't got all day, I suppose?" He quirked up an eyebrow at me, oblivious to my stare.

"Oh, sure!" I took a seat behind him and he took off without wasting another second.

As we were cycling around, the seconds turned to minutes which then turned into an hour and before I could even fathom, it stretched further into hours. We had switched our places every hour and it seemed as if we were flying high amongst the clouds.

Our laughter was shared and the wind around us swirled blithely. We didn't talk much but had a really good time. We stopped at a food cart, an ice-cream parlor and a candy shop in between the breaks we had taken.

It was getting dark and we had promised each other that this would be our last round of the day since we were addicted to cycling around in the city. This time I was in the front and we were passing through a local bridge in the uptown when I turned toward my right to see New York's beautiful skyline.

Getting off from the bike, I leaned it against the bridge. The sun was almost setting while the sky was painted in purple and pink hues. I was mesmerized and every time I watch the sunsets in this city, it still feels the same and anew.

"I love the sunsets," Skye said softly, turning toward me for a second and then going back to gazing at the beautiful view ahead.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. It's… it has so much symbolism, just like everything by nature. So beautifully imprinted. The sunsets are as if… it gives us the hope that all our problems could set too and at the end of the day, we could close our eyelids and forget those same problems… all of them until the next day begins," he told me and I was stumped because of how deep those words were.

It was almost as if he was talking about himself and the idea of closing his eyes gave him solace. I don't know why but I felt an anger simmering inside of me. I took a deep breath and cleared my frown before looking at him.

Skye was already looking at me but his lips were lifted up seeing my reaction. "But," he began, his smile growing now. "The next day is even better as it brings hope, especially if I could see the sunsets like these my whole life. It's a cocoon, you know? To drown out all my situations by just looking at it."

My features softened and I moved a bit closer to him. I was relieved to hear that because I was scared there for a second. "You surprise me, Skye."

His eyes widened and he blinked a few times, chuckling incredulously.

"What?"

"Is it just me or am I hearing you call me Skye for the first time?"

"Huh? Wait… really?" And we both started laughing at the quirky revelation.

Then out of nowhere, Skye took a small step toward me even though it was a reluctant one. Tucking a strand behind my ear, he stared at me with those same intent gray eyes. There was hardly an inch of space between us.

Those tingles were there again for the third time just in a single day along with my thudding heartbeat and a fluttering feeling all at once as if I was on fire.

Will he kiss me? A ray of hope soared in my heart and I wanted nothing more than to close the distance between us.

Although before it could happen, his phone started ringing and I was instantly pulled out of my trance. I gasped softly and took a step back from him. His expression changed too but it turned into one of indifference when he saw the caller ID. That was when I realized that there was not going to be any kiss involved in the first place. It was just a moment and now it's broken. Too weak a moment and I chided myself to not remain gritting to avoid this.

I wanted to ask him who it was but I didn't think it was a good idea so I remained silent.

Closing his eyes, Skye sighed and opened them back with a forced smile. "Sorry. Gotta go." His words were curt but I nodded at him with a smile of my own. Not waiting for a single second, he left me there alone, walking away with his long and quick strides.

It was irksome to see the change in his demeanor. He went from happy to indifferent within seconds.

I looked back at the skyline and the remnants of the purple hues were quickly fading away. "You have changed the meaning of sunsets for me… Skye," I whispered to myself in the quietness of the night.

Just as I idly turned toward my right, I saw the silhouette of a really tall and skinny woman. I could tell that she was a woman because of her knee length skirt and pumps. She was leaning against a car, preferably hers. The distance between her and me was too much and I wouldn't have paid much attention to her, save for a certain someone.

It was Skye. I would have recognized him even without the streetlight directly above his figure. Before I could see the woman's face, she turned around fully, her back facing me and they both got inside the car. A pang of hurt consumed me and I bit my lip from quivering.

Who's she? Was my last thought before I fled from the scene to go back to the comforts of my apartment.

~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~♡☆~

TAYLOR'S NEW ALBUM - EVERMORE IS THE BESTTTTTT!!!!!!! AKAKDJFJDNDNS, I AM SCREAMING OUT LOUD HAHAHA!!!!!

Anywho, do share your love on this book :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

287K 7.2K 19
Zachary Knight, CEO of more than half the companies in Switzerland finally wants to find a personal assistant after years of working alone. When he f...
317K 10.6K 30
Loretta Green(Lori for short) is beautiful and smart and fresh out of college. She isn't proud of choices she's made in the past, but is looking forw...
609K 17K 40
Natalia Fuller has had a difficult upbringing in her early adolescence but she has learned to come out strong. As a result, she has a wonderful full...
1.1M 42.2K 42
Vanessa: There's nothing I hate in this world more than I do Aaron Sinclair. Hate is the only word for it. It's not dislike, it's not envy. It's res...