Chapter 32

Draco and I followed Snape to his basement office, leaving a trail of puddles in our wake.

Snape's office was, in one word, creepy. It was even more dimly lit than the rest of the basement, with countless vials lining every inch of the claustrophobia-inducing walls. I looked around at the bottles and jars, making mental notes of interesting medical potion ingredients. The ones that I couldn't identify- particularly the ones with eyes, or fur, unnerved me.

"Dry yourselves," Snape commanded. "My seats are dragon hide."

Draco took it upon himself to perform the drying charm on me, despite my cheeky "I can do it myself, thank you". We sat facing Snape, and Draco seemed a little too relaxed and casual; like he had been here for scoldings a million times before.

Snape looked at us from under lowered brows which cast shadows across his eyes and cheeks. It almost looked funny- like he was just a nose on an otherwise featureless face. It was quiet for a long moment, and the only sound in the cramped office was the faint clicking of something in a jar far above my head.

Through gritted teeth, Snape finally said, "You two are giving me quite a headache."

"Have you tried varian balm?" I suggested. Snape's eyes flashed with indignancy, and Draco chuckled.

"It seems you have a newfound ego after your encounter with the Dark Lord, Thorncroft," Snape said viciously.

I was effectively mollified. "H-how do you know about that?"

"I receive certain... intel," Snape said flatly, almost like it bored him. "I have heard all about you two traipsing about Malfoy Manor, sullying the house like it was a common brothel." His voice contained a bit of a growl. "And now you've set off to do the same to Hogwarts."

I retreated into myself, slouching in my seat. Draco remained unabashed. "What's the problem?" he snarled, "Plenty of students snog about the castle. Why did we get the cold water treatment?"

Snape glared at Draco icily. "Coupling is not permitted on castle grounds. If certain acts go unseen by me or other faculty, then... that is not of my concern. However... what you two were doing in the middle of the Great Hall was on par with soft porn." Dryly, he said, "There were children present. I had to intervene."

"I-I'm sorry-" I began to say, but Draco stopped me.

"Don't apologize," Draco hissed. "Severus, you and I both know I'm above regular castle rules. If I want to snog my girlfriend, I'm going to do so. I don't care who sees."

It startled me to see Snape's eyebrow twitch a little; like a ripple upon a water's surface. He leaned forward. "Do you not realize," Snape hissed through clenched teeth, "That your little love affair is practically announcing to everyone, including the Dark Lord, that you have a very obvious, exposed Achilles Heel?"

It was tensely silent in the office again, and I thought I had said 'oh, shit' aloud. But no, I was just thinking it. A lot.

Oh, shit. Oh, shit.

"You have a mission to complete, Draco. If the Dark Lord suspects she is a hindrance, she will be eliminated without a second thought," Snape continued. "He will not hesitate to snap a twig that you wave in his face. Is that really the fate that you want for your beloved?"

Draco glowered silently, his shoulders slightly trembling. Snape had warned me about this before; that getting involved with Draco was dangerous. That I would be wise to stay away from him. But it was too late- I was in, and I was in deep.

"I am not a twig," I said bitterly. "I have sworn my secrecy to the Dark Lord. He should have no reason to believe I will interfere. And- and my own father is a Death Eater."