Chapter 23: Malfoy Manor Part II

"When we enter the dining room, say hello to no one. Sit on my left, and don't make eye contact with anyone at the table but me. Don't touch the food until I do so, and don't you dare place your elbows on the table. Someone will ask if you want some wine. Say no. Even if they offer it again, say no. Speak only when you are spoken to, and any conversation should be as neutral and brief as possible. Actually, just let me do all of the talking."

"This is degrading," I hissed to Draco in the dim corridor outside of the guest bedroom. "I don't suppose you also want me to service you under the table?"

Draco leaned in, his voice lowered to a menacing whisper. "I'm doing this to save both of our asses. Every witch and wizard present tonight is deadly. Don't think that I'm doing this because I want to."

I narrowed my eyes. "Bullshit. You wanted me so badly before that you were willing to beg. I bet you get some sick, twisted satisfaction out of forcing me to finally be your girlfriend because the only other choice is death."

I thought for a second I had gone too far, for Draco's face twisted into an expression of alarm. His arm raised, and I flinched, but his hand landed firmly upon the wall behind me. I inhaled, ready to demand what on earth he thought he was doing, but before the words left my mouth, his face swooped down to kiss me firmly on the lips.

I should have struggled. Draco's decision to kiss me in the middle of a heated argument made my blood boil; but the reality of it was, it completely swept my mind blank of any thoughts. His taste was so familiar, and the warmth of his mouth excited every nerve in my body. There's no way he could kiss me like this and not mean it. There's just no way...

"Am I interrupting something?"

A woman's voice made Draco pull away, and I realized then that she was the reason why Draco had kissed me so suddenly. I stifled a gasp when I beheld the sight of her. Her dark curly hair was a mass around her head, resembling a crow's nest, framing her pale, scarred face. And her eyes were crazed, darting about while she grinned mindlessly at the sight of us.

"Out for another stroll around the Manor, Bellatrix?" Draco asked, not moving from his spot between me and the woman. It was evident he didn't like this person, but nevertheless spoke to her with a kind of neutral respect.

She laughed, but it was more of a guttural crackle. "Just seeing all that there is to see." Her tongue peeked out between her teeth when she spoke. "Pretty thing you got there." She eyed me up and down. I remembered what Draco told me about eye contact, and I avoided her gaze by looking at the floor.

"I would like some time alone with her, if you'd be so kind," Draco said to the woman. A nice way to tell her to scram.

I heard the swishing of her long gown as she walked past us. "Of course, of course. Wouldn't want to get in the way of young love." She cackled again. "I'll see you two bunnies at dinner."

Draco held his position over me until Bellatrix left. As soon as she was out of sight, Draco's hand dropped and he backed away, putting some space between us.

"Don't look so distraught," Draco spat, noticing my pale expression. "I only kissed you so you'd be quiet."

I shook the remaining tingle of the kiss from my body and uttered a hoarse, "fine," giving no indication that the kiss had actually been quite earth-shattering.

"I believe dinner is ready," Draco said with a frown. An indication that it was time for us to make our appearance before the Dark Lord. The knots in my stomach clenched even tighter.

My mouth was dry as bones. "I don't think I'm ready to see him," I whispered, referring to You-Know-Who. Draco exhaled through his nose in contempt.