Chapter Three

"So you're going to leave me?"
Rebecca asked for the millionth time that day.

"Yes Rebecca but not for long."

I invited her over to help me pack up my things for the airport before we went downstairs to workout but all she's really done is complain.

"3 months is a really long time. You can't expect me to accept this news smoothly."

"But I can't just reject a mission I've been waiting for almost my entire life. It would be such a waste of training." She didn't reply but instead she grabbed some of my clothes, aggressively shoving them in my bag. She was clearly upset about the situation and I know she was my best friend but this was something that I've been dreaming about for so long.

"You can't put me in this situation here. It's hard enough that I'm leaving everyone but you're my best friend and you know how much this all means to me. Please, try to be a little bit more understanding."

Again, she didn't reply, making me feel guilty about it all. Than I saw a tear run down her face. "Aww becky." I shuffled to where she was sitting and gave her a huge hug. "This stupid carrier is taking away my family..." She muttered.

"I'll be home soon. I promise."

•••

After three months of traveling from state to state, conference after conference, training after training, the day had finally arrived. I was at a hotel at the moment, waiting for father's agents to come pick me up. Despite how excited I was, I was feeling quite nervous. For the last 12 weeks I've been in several meetings, listening to the head officials discuss wether or not I was ready for such a big job, wether or not I will slow them down, wether or not I would mess things up. All these little remarks have slowly been eating me away.

I looked at myself in the mirror. I have grown a little thinner since I started flying around, due to stress and loss of sleep and some dark shadows have started to grow under my eyes. Mother would be so upset if she saw me like this... But I wasn't going to show any weakness. I wanted to prove every official wrong. I wanted them to take back their words about me being "immature".

The phone rang, pulling me out of trance.

"Hello?"

"Hi Abby"

I smiled for the first time that day. "Hey Rebecca." I haven't spoken to her on the phone for almost a month now due to my schedule. It was so nice to hear her voice once again.

"Are you on your way yet?" She asked. Because we were speaking over a public phone, we had to be extra careful of what we said to each other. There could be a chance of our phone call being recorded.

"No not yet. I'm still waiting for my ride." There was a few minutes of silence before she spoke again, but in a shaky voice.

"Please be careful Abigail." I bit my lip from crying because she was already sobbing on the phone and I didn't want to encourage her to keep on crying. "Don't worry Becky. I'll be home soon."

Suddenly, there was knock on my door. "Ms Abigail? Your ride has arrived."

"I'm guessing your leaving now. Goodbye Abby." Rebecca hung up before I could say goodbye. I sighed heavily, wiping the tears that had managed to escape before placing the phone back on the desk And grabbing my bags. As I went down the elevator with one of the guards, I couldn't help but think that something might go wrong all because of me. What if I left and important piece of the mission on a table or something? Or what if I forget to do an important step?

I looked at my reflection on the elevator doors. I saw weakness in front of me and I wasn't going to allow it. I had to be strong and brave for this.