Chapter 10

Picture of Natalia Maddox

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best at writing in other people's perspectives. But I worked really hard on this one, so I hope you'll enjoy it.

You asked for it and you got it! Here's Maddox's point of view! I kind of modeled Kade after one of my cousins, actually. It helps me write in his point of view!

Also, I'll be posting the cast list with the next chapter. I've got a pretty good one going!

Warning: Slight sexual content

I am so effin whipped. There's no doubt about it. And I don't think I can do anything about it either.

From the moment I saw Meredith at Kyson's mom's funeral, I was hooked. I was majorly intrigued by her. I could tell that she was much more sassy than she was letting on. Her soft blue eyes, cream colored skin, and rich brunette hair captured my attention immediately. I felt an unprecedented jealousy when I saw her holding hands with Ky.

I kinda hated myself at that moment. I had no right to be feeling how I did at his mom's funeral, when he needed Mer the most. I was the worst brother ever. And my biggest failure, that I didn't even know what I did to make him hate me so much in the first place.

I knew it would be selfish of me to take Mer from him. I saw the way he looked at her. Even if he didn't know it, he was in love with her.

But he hadn't made his move. And after getting to know her even in the slightest, I knew I had to have her. Her voice, her jokes, the way she crinkled her nose when she laughed.... I was captivated by it all. I had never met any other girl like her. And I wanted to protect her from her douchebag parents. I wanted to protect her like I couldn't protect Emma.

For a while I wondered if Meredith would be a one night stand. It was all I had ever known, except for with Emma. I never let myself be the relationship type. But after getting to know her it all changed.

Suddenly I didn't care about the girls I had been banging before. One night stands seemed futile. All I needed was Meredith.

I'd never had a relationship like this before. Not even with Emma. With Emma, she was more like a sister. But I didn't want Mer to be my sister-- I wanted every part of her, even if that meant destroying my brother's heart along the way. He had his chance, and he messed it up. I was the one who needed Mer, not him. She was the one thing keeping me sane in this world of violence, the world I had chosen. She kept me grounded. Her innocence pulled me in-- It was my saving grace, though I wouldn't admit that out loud. I wanted to be her corrupter. I never wanted to let go.

Why hadn't I met her earlier? When I had gone through that rough patch last year? I can't count how many women I had slept with during those six months after losing Emma. I had thrown myself into working out and made sure I had a different woman almost every night. All that time I spent focusing on training made me into the boxer I am today. I was grateful for that time, no matter how hard it was for me, because I was able to take care of myself physically.

And now I was taking care of myself psychologically. I had come to accept that Emma was gone and would never come back. And with Meredith, everything was better.

She didn't know the effect she had on me. One slight shift in her mood would have my mood flip flopping like nobody's business. She didn't know that she had the Mad Ox wrapped around her little finger. Aren't I supposed to be the tough guy who doesn't bend? And here I was, willing to do anything to keep her happy. That's why I couldn't stop the guilt I felt as she cried in my arms, sobbing over the heart of her best friend that she had just unknowingly broken.