Chapter 3

Picture of Kyson

Three knocks on the door let me know that Kade was here. I quickly checked my hair one more time and glanced over my outfit. A short dress over leggings and boots. Good for January. Grabbing my coat and shrugging it on, I headed for the front door. 

I regretted opening the front door. Kaden looked absolutely delectable. His coat attempted to obscure his abs, to no avail. I could see his fit body underneath that tight shirt and dark jeans. I swear my mouth started watering slightly. I mentally shook myself out of it. This guy was cocky and trouble, despite his good looks. Thank heavens he didn't see me checking him out.

"Hey Mer. You ready?" He gave me a confident smile, which made me slightly suspicious. What did he have to be so cocky about? Was it just his personality? 

"I just need to lock up." I confirmed. I stepped out onto the front porch and locked the door, shoving my key back into my bag.

"Where to?" I asked as we walked over to his car that was parked on my driveway. He politely held my door open for me.

"You'll see." He told me.

"Thanks." I narrowed my eyes in suspicion as I expressed my gratitude for his gentlemanly act. He got into the driver side and started up the car, pulling out of my driveway. 

"Are your parents still there?" He asked after a moment of silence.

"No," I shook my head, "They already left, immediately after the dinner." I told him.

"Did they say anything?"

"About you?"

"Yeah."

"Dad said you'll take care of me. And to come to him if you give me any trouble." Kaden coughed a laugh.

"He could fire me, but I could still beat the shit out of him." He pondered. I gave him a hard look.

"What did your mom say?" 

"Apparently you're too smart for your own good." This time he chuckled lightly. We pulled onto the main road and headed down toward the shopping district. 

"Kade, why are you doing this? Like honestly? I don't understand. I'm just your little brother's friend. You don't know me from Eve. Why do you want to help?" I finally voiced my thoughts, the ones I couldn't get rid of all night. He briefly glanced over at me before turning into a parking lot. Noodles. I was momentarily distracted as we parked.

"Let's continue this inside." He decided, killing the engine and leaving the car. Before I could open my own door he had already opened it for me.

"Thanks." I mumbled quietly as we waltzed up to the door. Like a gentleman, he held that door for me again.

We approached the menu but while Kade was searching it, I already knew what I wanted to order. He glanced over at me to see I wasn't studying the menu as he was.

"You already know what you want?"

"Yup." I nodded. He grabbed my arm and dragged me up to the cashier, whose eyes widened at the sight of him.

"W-what can I get for you today?" She asked politely. Kade turned to me first.

"I'll have a small mac and cheese." I told her. Kade smirked at me. Great. What did I do now? 

"I'll have the same, but regular please." The cashier didn't say another word as she put in our order.

"What?" I asked him. 

"You're such a kid. Mac and cheese." I frowned at him.

"You hypocrite! You just ordered the same thing!" I retorted.