Chapter 14

Picture of Emma Cobb. 

I frowned at my phone.

"You know, I've never once seen you smile at that thing." Taven poked my side and I jumped. 

"Well this thing never brings good news." My frown deepened.

"What happened this time?"

"Dad wants me to go to the arena after school... I can't help but feeling this is some sort of trap." 

"If anyone's setting a trap, it's your mom and you know it." I nodded in agreement. What was she up to? 

I withheld a sigh and sent a screenshot of the text to Kade. There's no way I'd go to the arena without him. His response was immediate: I'll be there to pick you up right after school. 

"Can you please help me with this question?" Taven interrupted my thoughts. I nodded and agreed, anything to distract me. Especially with Ky sitting on my other side, completely and utterly ignoring me. I had said hello, but didn't even get a nod. 

"The answer is on page 127." I told him. He nodded in thanks and flipped to the page, leaving me to my thoughts. I checked the clock. Ten minutes until school ends. My nervous tapping must have annoyed Taven because he grabbed my hand. 

"Could you stop?" He hissed. I shot him an apologetic look.

"Sorry, I'm just nervous."

"I can tell." Two minutes. 

"Alright class, put your papers on my desk and you can leave a minute early." The teacher called. I felt my nerves building up. I swiped my books into my bag and quickly made my way to the front, leaving my paper there and rushing out of the room.

"Goodbye to you too!" Taven called from across the room. I smiled and waved at him, then ran out. Why did I feel like something bad was going to happen? I needed to see Kade. I needed to hold him close. I felt like I was going to lose him. I skipped the trip to my locker and practically ran to the front doors. The sooner I saw Kade the better. How had he become my lifeline in such a small amount of time?

His Lamborghini sat outside the front, capturing the attention of the students who began to flood out from the front doors. I ignored their surprised whispered as I climbed in, focusing on Kade. Before he could even greet me I crashed my lips into his, and he eagerly responded. Thank the heavens that his windows were tinted. 

Eventually I had to take a breath, and pulled back. He rested his forehead against mine.

"Well hello to you too." He grinned.

"I missed you." I whispered. He pecked my lips one more time before pulling back and putting the car into drive.

"Ditto." I looked him over quickly, letting myself appreciate the sex god in front of me. Not that I'd ever admit that to him. He was wearing some of his usual work out clothes-- a fitted tank top and basketball shorts. Today it was blue, and it brought out the color of his eyes. I shook my head to try to focus. 

"Something's wrong Kade. I feel it." He raised an eyebrow. 

"Mer, calm down. Even if something is going to happen, we can handle it." He pulled out of the school parking lot. 

"It's my mom. It's got to be my mom." 

"Mer, I'll take care of you. I promise." He took my hand in his free one. We drove in silence for the rest of the way. I was stuck in my own head, trying to figure out what the heck my parents were doing. It just.... it seemed like they were planning something.