~8~

It took a while without the wyverns, but the Thirteen managed to reach the mountains where the Crochans camp would be. Manon had enjoyed the look of happiness on her friend's faces when she mentioned the wyverns. 

After her explanation was done, they had started to plan almost immediately. Briar and Edda would go to Adarlan in order to be try and be in contact with Dorian and Aelin, they would have to use their shadowing skills to the fullest. Ghislaine was researching more about the Valg and old Crochan traditions. The demon twins, Asterin and Sorrel were calling some of the favors they were owed in order to find out more about the King of Adarlan's plans. Vesta and Kaya were hunting. Imogen was helping Ghislaine.

They had decided to stay low, keeping the excuse of having found more Crochans deeper in the mountains. It felt different without her two shadows, but Manon knew she would be safe, at least for a while. They had sent Linnea ahead, her being the most diplomatic of the thirteen after Ghislaine. She missed Abraxos, was upset that he hadn't been sent back. In fact she didn't even know if he had been created in the Ferian Gap yet. She had to pray of the Triple Goddess that he was safe, although being used as bait. 

Once their diplomat was out of sight, Manon and the thirteen began their journey straight into the Crochan Camp. 

~

Dorian was exhausted. Being Prince Regent was not as fun, however it did give him the opportunity to influence a few things here and there. A message had been sent to the North under the guise of his father and Cain's chamber were far away from any secret passages, the displeased look on the Champion and his patron's faces were more than enough an answer for his decision. He had managed to scrounge up a small amount of free time, time he spent reading his favourite book. Or he would be reading, if his sapphire eyes hadn't caught a movement in the shadows, a movement he recognized very well during his time with the Thirteen while on the search for the Crochans. Keeping his window open, he flashed a hand signal Manon had taught him and one rustle later, two Ironteeth witches were standing in his tower. 

"Nice room princeling." Edda smirked at him, Briar's face reflecting her cousin's. He let out an undignified squeak, one that he would forever deny before he collapsed. The Shadows looked at each other in exasperation before jumping back out through the window, though not before leaving a letter on the table.

~

The Shadows were walking through the courtyard when they spotted Chaol and Aelin at the training yard with the other Champions. Briar cursed. "How in the rutting hell are we supposed to get the letter to the queen now?". Edda merely shrugged. "Find her room?" They looked at each other then chorused, "No."

~

She was at the training grounds with the other champions and if Aelin remembered correctly, six guards were about to appear. So the young queen was quite surprised when eight appeared. Immediately on her guard, she didn't bother listening to Chaol's warning; seeing as she had already heard it before. Instead she walked to the weapons rack, keeping an eye out for Cain. All the weapons were finely made, and glistened in the sunlight. Aelin eliminated her options one by one, seeing each weapon for what sort of damage she might do to Cain's face. 

Her heart beat rapidly as she ran a finger across the blades and handles of each. She found herself torn between the hunting daggers and a lovely rapier with an ornate bell-guard. She did have to brush up her skills with the rapier. A sword whined as she drew it from the stand and held it in her hands. It was a good blade—strong, smooth, light. She wished for Goldryn instead.

Chaol tossed his cape on top of hers, his toned body flexing through the dark threads of his shirt. He drew his sword. "On your guard!" He moved into defensive position, and she stared at him incredulously. "What sort of person says 'On your guard'?", she found herself saying, "Really Captain, I wonder is this how you train your recruits?" she continued, lacing a heavy amount of mockery in her tone. 
And Chaol lunged. Raising the sword, Aelin easily forced him into a defensive stance, falling in step with the beats of swordplay. This weak body was no help but the skills she learned from Rowan helped her to put the blade to the brunette Captain's throat and have him yield.

Chaol got up gasping and that's when she noticed the two extra guards close to her cloak, a letter in the distinctly feminine hand. Distractedly finishing the rest of her conversation, the blonde demi-fae left her opponent at the field and walked over to the guards. 
"Who are you?", she hissed leaning into the imposter's personal space. "Why my lady, I thought you would recognize two of Manon's thirteen, although that may be quite a lot to ask."
Taking a step back, she saw them. "Edda? Briar?", she whispered.

"The one and only. We have a letter. The princeling's letter has been delivered."

"Leave it on my cloak. You need to go now I presume?"

"Yes. Nice meeting you Queen Aelin Galathynius, in much better circumstances unlike before, I suppose."

Aelin nodded and said her farewells. Walking back to Chaol, when she turned back after a moment's hesitation, the two were gone.