Chapter 14: I Feel as if I Know You

Start from the beginning

Hannah and I exchanged a look before looking at Joshua. What type of things? Like.... why we were here? Or even more? Kylie came back after what felt like hours. She whisked us away, and up some stairs. At the top of the stairs she neatly lined us up.

"Ok! First things first, how old are you guys?" Kylie seemed so hyper.

"Hannah and I are both 15, Henry's 2, and Atlas is 6," I said bluntly.

Kylie only looked at me funny.

"Of course I know your age Evelyn! You're my daughter!" She exclaimed after a slight pause.

I almost smacked myself. I was her kid! Why wouldn't she know my age?

"Anywho! Henry can share a room with Calvin for the night. Atlas can share with Annie. Hannah and Evelyn can stay in the guest room," Kylie announced.

Hannah shifted uncomfortably beside me. Kylie glanced at her.

"Is there a problem?" Kylie asked, her voice filled with kindness.

"N-No. I just haven't spent a night away from Atlas or Henry since they were born," Hannah replied nervously.

"That's okay. They'll be just down the hall," Kylie smiled sympathetically.

Hannah nodded, though her eyes still looked troubled.

"Well then! It's time for a nighttime routine!" Kylie cried out happily.

"Nighttime routine?" Atlas repeated, looking confused.

"Haven't you ever had a nighttime routine?" Kylie looked even more confused.

Atlas shook her head.

"Then you're in for a real treat!" Kylie's eyes twinkled a playful evilness.

Kylie seemed to work all night. She bathed Henry and Calvin in record time. She spent about 40 minutes just fixing Henry's matted hair. Kylie changed them both into Calvin's pajamas, and tucked them both in. She did the same with Annie and Atlas, except Atlas's hair took two hours to free of all mats. After they were all bathed and in bed, Kylie came into the guest room. Hannah and I were sitting on the floor, doing nothing much. Hannah had only come in a few minutes prior. She had been watching Kylie intently at everything Kylie did involving Atlas and Henry.

"Hey girls. The little ones are in bed. You both can shower now," Kylie gave us a wary smile.

We already knew they were in bed. In fact, this is the first time Hannah had been parted with them since we arrived.

"Are you sure they're asleep? Maybe I could go stay with one of them?" Hannah suggested.

"They're fine sweetheart. You should go shower," Kylie reassured.

"No I'm fine. I just want to be with them," Hannah looked deeply saddened.

Kylie came over to us, and bent down next to her.

"Look I know you do, but right now they're asleep. And you really need a shower, you both do. Now why don't the both of you scurry into the bathroom? I'll be in to tuck you in later," Kylie said gently.

"Tuck us in? What does that mean?" Hannah looked confused.

"Hadn't anyone ever tucked you in before? Your parents?" Kylie looked even more confused.

Hannah shook her head.

"Well then, I'll just come in to check on you? Make sure you're okay," Kylie said.

We both nodded at her, and stood up. We headed towards the door.

"Brush your hair after you shower!" Kylie called.