Memoire 48

I'm loving this arc so far. It's super dark but vnc always has been at least a little more adult than Pandora Hearts and it's nice to see Mochijun isn't holding back. God, I just love her writing so much.

Anyway, before starting it's worth keeping in mind that Noé is seeing all of this as well. So all the things we learned from this chapter he learned as well. We start off the chapter getting a look at some of Mikhail's trauma, we can assume Vanitas went through the same but these are Misha's memories so we stick to his perspective.

In order to protect Misha, Vanitas volunteers to be experimented on. I expected we'd see something like this but it really does show how he's a very caring person deep down. I mean, he looks absolutely terrified but he still offers himself up to spare another kid who's just a little younger than him.

 I mean, he looks absolutely terrified but he still offers himself up to spare another kid who's just a little younger than him

We get a brief glimpse of the elusive no. 70 and learn that he is part of a different experiment. We don't learn all that much about him but I'm sure he's going to appear in the story later, if he hasn't already. I saw someone on tumblr suggest he could be Monsieur Spider which makes sense. Monsieur Spider is connected to Moreau. Though no. 70 is said to be mute so if they are Monsieur Spider perhaps the mask helps them speak? If he isn't Spider I can't think of another character we already know that it could be. And then if no. 70 is a human Moreau experimented on it ruins my "Why Monsieur Spider is definitely a vampire" post. Unless Monsieur Spider is something in between human and vampire after the mysterious experiment no. 70 was part of.

Where the hell did Moreau get both books of Vanitas and VotBM's blood? Who stole these two incredibly powerful books and then just gave them to Moreau and how did they obtain them? I can't imagine VotBM/Luna was careless with the books since they'...

Where the hell did Moreau get both books of Vanitas and VotBM's blood? Who stole these two incredibly powerful books and then just gave them to Moreau and how did they obtain them? I can't imagine VotBM/Luna was careless with the books since they're so important. Someone powerful must have taken them but why? My first thought was the Shapeless One. He seems like the only character batshit enough to somehow obtain the books and then also give them to a random human. But then why would he do such a thing? And why send Noé to Paris now? I suppose Ruthven could also have been the one to give Moreau the books but that still leaves the question of why. Ruthven doesn't even like humans either so it seems like a strange move to hand over such a powerful object to one.