PROLOGUE ☑

Atlas had been born into a hard life, her mother having died during childbirth also leading to the death of Atlas's twin sister, leaving her father(Robert) to care for Atlas on his own

Atlas had been born into a hard life, her mother having died during childbirth also leading to the death of Atlas's twin sister, leaving her father(Robert) to care for Atlas on his own. Devastated by the loss of his first love, he neglected to take on his role of father figure for the first 2 years of her life, forcing Atlas to fend for herself.

For two whole years, the only human contact she had was the 3 hour a day visits that a nurse from the hospital would give. The visits being the literal reason that she was still alive as it was the only time she would get any sort of food or water.

On her third birthday, while she had sat on the floor on her own, Robert had finally realized how much of his daughter's life he had missed because he was blaming her for something that was not her fault, something that could not be changed no matter how much he prayed for his love to come back to him.

On that day, July 31st, he had gone down the stairs and approached his daughter who had been playing with the two black knights from his chess set, he placed her on his knee and for a few seconds breathed in her appearance which reminded him so much of her mother.

Atlas stared right back at her father attempting to figure out what he was doing. His lips slowly stretched into a large grin as his hand found her cheek to rub slow, soft circles onto her rosy cheeks. Her small head fell into his palm at the contact she had craved since she was born, at the love she felt from her father that she had so desperately needed. After a few seconds, he placed her back onto the ground and walked straight back up the stairs leaving a teary-eyed Atlas watching after him, thinking that he didn't want her anymore. When he got back downstairs he handed her a medium-sized box and settled into an armchair to watch her open her gift.

Atlas had lifted the lid to reveal a beautiful chess set, each of its pieces being carved from wood. Atlas studied her gift for a little, until her small legs sprang her onto her father's chest and her small arms clasped around his neck. Tears flowed freely down her cheeks to express the happiness she felt from receiving her first-ever gift, Roberts arms wrapped around her fragile body and let a single tear carve a path down his face into soft brunette hair.

Since that day their bond had only grown stronger and stronger, her learning everything she knew about chess from Robert. Her father had entered her into her first competition at the age of 8 and she came out a winner. The win left her with a growing confidence in her abilities, she competed in every tournament possible making her way up in ranks, reaching a level at which she was so well known her sunglasses seemed permanently stuck to her face.

Win. Win. Win. It was all that she seemed to do and her game against Luchenco was no different, she arrived, was seated, played the game, and won. Though that seemed to be the end of Atlas Johnson, she wasn't as talked about anymore due to her disappearance.

That was until her name was written onto the sheet of players for a tournament, her comeback was approaching quickly and nobody was ready for it.

Hi! So I hope that you like this introduction/background thing on Atlas

I would definitely appreciate some advice feedback on grammar, punctuation, and how the sentences are written, but please, please be nice about it because I know I've made mistakes but I wouldn't like them to be pointed out in a horrible way. So if possible feel free to leave some tips on how to improve my writing.

Xx