CHAPTER 06

' MARIANNE '

Both Benny and Atlas had now been in the car for half an hour and the space was full to the brim with awkwardness

Both Benny and Atlas had now been in the car for half an hour and the space was full to the brim with awkwardness. Atlas rolled down the window so that the noise of the wind slapping against the car doors would fill the silence.

Luckily she had already thought ahead and in her small handbag, she had placed her little sketchbook, a pencil, and a pen. Reaching forward, she rummaged through the bag and grabbed all three objects. Atlas twisted in her seat freely as she had left her seatbelt off, her position left her sideways facing Benny.

She took a deep breath before flipping open her book and settling on a clean, fresh page. She let her body take the lead, let her fingers guide the pencil from space to space. Her movements constructed a detailed drawing of the blue butterfly from earlier, yet her body told her she wasn't finished and she quickly flipped to another blank page. This time, her movements were quick and sharp, each pencil line carrying strings of emotion. Art was her escape, it was her way of telling the world what she was thinking, feeling.

Her last few motions were slower and more gentle. This time she felt the urge to incorporate her pen so she did, she grasped her pen and carved delicate darkness onto the page. After the final touches, Atlas was scared to look at the sketch, she had a strong feeling of what it was and didn't want to admit the strong emotions she had felt while she spilled her heart into paper - though it was formed into something different.

A single glance down confirmed her suspicions, she had drawn Benny. She had drawn him with his windswept hair, his big grin and she had drawn his beautiful warm eyes.

Sighing, Atlas flipped onto a different page. After smoothing out the page she began sketching out random things such as bees and leaves and multiple sketches of a knight ( the chess piece ).

Atlas flipped back to Benny, don't get her wrong she wasn't in love with him, she thought it was crazy how people could be married within a month of meeting each other - even crazier that they apparently loved each other, but she definitely appreciated that he was nice to look at and he made her feel good.

Slamming the book shut she stuffed all her art supplies back into her bag and then turned to Benny.
" Is there something we can do? I'm boreeed ", Atlas whined.

Benny glanced at her and then hummed, " I'm not sure, do you have any ideas? "

Atlas glanced around the car in thought, she didn't really have any ideas either but she was desperate for something to do.

" How about something easy, like; 20 questions! ", Benny exclaimed excitedly.

Atlas nodded when Benny looked over at her.