How (not) to lie

Please, don't do this to me.

Samantha prayed to all the gods she could think of as she repetitively turned the clinging, silver key into her broken-down car. Despite her best efforts - it was not working. It teased her into believing that it might startup, but it was not.

All it left behind was the tick, tick sound of a motor that would never start. As her pale fingers were crisped around the black leather steering wheel, she let her head fall forward, hitting the steering wheel while her brown hair cascaded around her face, framing it.

Why?

She banged her head a few times, the leather giving under the pressure of her head, desperation filling her heavy chest. She should have gotten a new car, but - she had not.

Because she was a fucking moron.

Money had been tight and - and she could not afford it.

Again. Why?

In her foolish outburst of pride and stupidity, she had convinced herself that she could make her car last a few more years... but, it had decided otherwise.

And now there she was stuck parked in front of the now-closed grocery store, in the evening, with no way home. Her shift at the store had run longer than anticipated, the last clients refusing to leave, and now she was out and about at the worst time.

Maybe she could call a cab? But she could not abandon her car here! What if it was salvageable and torn to pieces by the time she got back here tomorrow? What if she could get some money from it?

She could not risk having to spend more money. Maybe she could call one of her friends, get advice, or a ride from a friend...

But her friend was Ellie.

And Ellie was towns over by now.

Something... anything.

She resigned herself to her reality and pulled the keys out of the ignition before exiting the car, desperation clinging to her skin. She slammed the door shut and leaned against it while fishing her cell phone out of her black leather purse.

As Samantha looked up, hearing a noise nearby, she noticed a bright red sign. She tilted her head to the side, reading it out: KB Mechanics. Could it be? Was life actually letting her catch a break?

No, it was probably closed.

But the sign was still lit up. It was worth a try. She was desperate...

She shoved her cell phone carelessly back into her purse and started to head down the street. If at least she could get an actual diagnostic on the car, it might help her make a decision. She could not help but shake her head at the situation.

Three years ago, she never thought this would be her life.

She was beginning life, finally, and - meanwhile, all of her old friends had graduated, or almost, and they were on their way to bettering their lives; marriage, work, and babies.

After a few more seconds, Samantha finally reached the mechanic store's front door. There was a blue neon sign flashing the word open staring at her as she pushed the metal door open.

A bell dinged to announce her entrance as the door closed behind her. She threw a quick glance around, but the place was empty. Was it closed and they forgot to lock it up? It almost would not surprise her.

A bunch of worn-out car tires were piled up in the corner, dark oil stains covered the floor and the front counter appeared to be pretty busted up, chunks of wood showing beneath the white paint. She dared to take a few quiet steps ahead, trying to see if she could spot anyone in the back.