Chapter 34

It was six o'clock already, and so, in order to be there quickly, and at the same time not to drive with his uncle's horses, known to everyone, Samson got into a hired fly and told the driver to drive as quickly as possible. It was a old-fashioned fly, with seats for four. He sat in one corner, stretched his legs out on the front seat, and sank into the soft seat.

A presumptuous sense of the order into which his affairs had been rudely intrupted, a presumptuous memory of yesterday's ill-mannered and ungracious words of his uncle, who considered himself a man that was needed for every affair even his, and most of all, the anticipation of the discussion were all blended into a general, offensive dialogue. This feeling was so strong that Samson could not help frowning. He dropped his legs, crossed one leg over the other knee, and taking it in his hand, felt his wounds, and when he leaned back he drew several deep breaths.

" Calm down Samson , Calm down!" he said to himself.

The bright, cold day, which had made Diana feel so hopeless, seemed to make him relaxed once more and refreshed his face and neck that still tingled from his tense frown. The scent of brilliant fresh air oozed on his hair. Everything he saw from the carriage window, everything in that cold pure air, in the pale light of the sunset, was as fresh, and bright, and strong as he was himself: the roofs of the houses shined in the rays of the setting sun, the sharp outlines of fences and angles of buildings, the figures of passers-by, the carriages that met him now and then, the motionless green of the trees and grass, and the slanting shadows that fell from the houses, and trees, and bushes, everything was bright like a pretty landscape just finished and freshly painted.

"Get on, get on!" he said to the driver, putting his head out of the window, and pulling a three-rouble note out of his pocket he handed it to the man as he looked round. The driver's hand fumbled with something at the lamp, the whip cracked, and the carriage rolled rapidly along the smooth highroad.

" Be quick, I want to be back home before dawn sets." he thought, staring at the bone button of the bell in the space between the windows, and picturing to himself his uncle complaining and winning non-stop like a restless child.

He called to the driver to stop before he reached the avenue, and opened the door, jumped out of the carriage as it was still moved, he hurriedly went into the avenue that led up to the house. There was no one in the avenue; but as he looked round to the right he caught sight of her.

Her face was hidden by a veil, but his eyes lit brightly and gladly as he took the special movement as he walked, peculiar to her alone.

Joining him, she pressed his hand tightly.

"You're uncle's not angry that I sent for you? I absolutely had to see you," she said; and the serious and set line of her lips, which he saw under the veil, transformed his mood at once.

"I angry! He shouldn't be. Besides he is unaware of us two meeting?"

"Never mind," she said, laying her hand on his, "come along, I must talk to you."

He sensed their discussion would not be a joyous one. In her presence he had no will of his own: without knowing the cause of her distress, he already felt the same distress unconsciously pass over him.

"What is it? what?" he asked her, squeezing her hand with his elbow, and trying to read her thoughts in her face.

She walked on a few steps in silence, as she gathered up her courage; then suddenly she stopped.

"I did not tell you yesterday," she began, she breathed rather quickly. " My uncle came in the last two days and spoke about Edward and I."

He heard her, unconsciously and he bent his whole figure down to her as though he hoped that in this way it would soften the hardness of her position for her. But as soon as she presented this, he suddenly drew himself up, and a grim and irradiated look grew over his face.

" Edward? " he asked rethorically. But she was did listen to his words, she was reading his thoughts from the expression of his face.

" Yes Edward, he has written to be a proposal which was seriously unexpected. " she pulled his letter out of her glove.

"I understand, I understand," he interrupted her, taking the letter, but not reading it. " Your uncle of course must have agreed to this, I am wrong?"

" No, but you know I-"

" I am not seriously good enough for you huh? And what do you think of this? Don't tell me that you too agree with this stupid prosprol."

" I don't, of course I don't, but-"

He finally sat down on the couch behind him, his sank his head in his hands and began to speak." The one thing I longed for, the one thing I prayed for, is to be taken by this man, I devoted my life to your happiness. I gave up everything just for you and your telling me that you- he can't even come up to you and tell you this himself, he doesn't deserve you one bit. "

she said bitterly. "Do you suppose I can forsake this?"

" You-Who's that coming?" Samson said suddenly,as he pointed to two man who walked towards them.

" So this is where you where." He said with a deceitful smile.

Diana's lips were quivering, her eyes looked with strange fury at her uncle from ubder her veil "you were following me here weren't you."

"I suppose I was." He answered as he give himself a seat. " You to have a sit too Edward."