With that being his last thought, he slowly drifted off to sleep with Elsie securely wrapped in his arms.

~
The next morning James returned back to his room and they both got ready for their first day of Hogwarts. With James having reassured her the night before, Elsie excitedly dragged her trunk down the stairs of her two-story house. They were not rich by any means as the Potters were, but her squib mother Arabella Figg, and half-blood father Duncan Figg taught her to appreciate what she had.

"Elsie! Do you have everything you need? We have to leave in...," she trailed off looking at the clock on the wall, "Now!" Arabella shouted.

"Yes, mum! I'm all ready," she exclaimed with a smile, looking over at her father while continuing, "Dad, can you help me with my trunk?"

"Of course my little lady! Can't have you being tired on your first day at Hogwarts," Duncan chuckled, sending a wink towards his daughter. He took her trunk and left towards the muggle car Arabella insisted on taking. As a squib, it was her preferred method of traveling. Elsie followed behind her dad with her wand and the cage that held her snowy owl that she named... well, Snowy. Behind her, Arabella locked the door of the house and entered the drivers seat of the car.

"Buckle up, darling. And don't worry, I've already talked to Euphemia. We're meeting up with the Potters at King's Cross Station," Arabella stated as she began driving.

When they arrived, Elsie and her parents rolled her belongings up to platform 9 3/4 and through the brick wall until the Hogwarts Express was revealed, beautifully steaming its engine while waiting for everyone to board. Elsie instantly spotted her goofy, spectacled best friend. "James, over here!" she shouted running towards him. He wrapped her in a hug before fixing his glasses that were almost crushed by the small girl.

"Hello James, dear! Alright, it's time for you two to get going before you miss your train. Oh Euphemia,  our babies are growing up so fast!" Arabella managed to say towards James' mum as tears started forming in both of their eyes.

"Mummm, don't cry!" both James and Elsie admitted at the same time.

James went to go say goodbye to his parents, while Elsie did the same with hers. She gave them both big hugs and kisses on their cheeks knowing the next time she'd see them would be in 4 months. After this, James and Elsie set off towards the Hogwarts Express.

"James, start finding us an empty compartment. I'm going to explore the train for a bit, it's brilliant!" Elsie told him as her eyes wandered around in awe. James nodded his head in agreement and the two best friends went their separate ways.

She walked off towards one end of the train while admiring all the different people on it. She watched as other nervous first-years were running about trying to find somewhere to sit. She watched as composed seventh years greeted their friends and prepared for their last train ride to Hogwarts. She watched as dozens of different students with dozens of different stories flooded into the area, her mind running wild with the possibilities of where they'd all end up in just a few years time.

A small smile fell on her face as she continued to admire each and every person she walked past. There was something so comforting to the young girl about seeing other people display their emotions, like colors splattering on a canvas. Yellows of joy, reds bubbling with excitement, purples full of nerves, peaceful beiges. It was beauty like she's never seen before; new and alive.

Her eyes lingered for a while longer before landing on something that she couldn't help but give all of her attention to. This something was a boy who had an unreadable expression sheltered on his face, one that she thought made the scene so much more. He wasn't happy or excited or nervous or at peace; he looked sad. Sad and scared, blue mixing with grey.

Naturally, Elsie was drawn to him; she wanted to know his story. His eyes found hers from across the train, and she noticed that his face seemed to relax and tense up at the same time. Not wanting him to be scared of her, she sent the boy a large smile and a soft wave. The boy's facial expression cracked for a moment as his lips curved upwards at her actions. He ran one hand through his dirty-blonde hair and raised the other to softly wave at her, but Elsie's attention was snapped away when she stumbled into someone else.

"I'm so sorry!" both her and the scar-faced stranger admitted at the same time. The boy, who barely moved because of how small Elsie was, reached down his hand towards her to help her up, seeing as she was knocked down since he was quite taller than her.

"No worries! It was my fault I was busy staring at everything. It's all so beautiful! There are so many different people and things to look at, especially for a first year. Oh, did I mention I'm a first year? I'm so excited to..," Elsie stopped mid-sentence as she realized she was speaking both too much and too fast, "oh, I'm sorry. I ramble a lot when I'm excited. I'm Elsie Figg!" she finished.

Hoping she hadn't embarrassed herself, she began to look down and bite her bottom lip nervously. But, to her surprise she heard a chuckle escape from the tall boy's mouth.

"I'm Remus Lupin, also a first year. It's so nice to meet you," the boy politely began, "and don't worry. I don't mind you rambling. It's nice considering I don't have many friends back at home," Remus admitted shyly while scratching the back of his neck.

"Well, Remus Lupin, it's your lucky day. I would love to be your friend, as long as you don't mind my constant talking," Elsie joked with the boy as a smirk formed on her face. Remus shot her a genuine smile and nodded in agreement. The small brunette peeked back to where the previous boy was standing, but when she noticed he wasn't there anymore she and Remus walked all the way back to the compartment James had picked out. Within this short time, they talked and joked around. Elsie learned that she really liked the sweet boy she had just met and thought that James would too.

As they reached the compartment, Elsie shouted, "James! I've made a new friend and he's going to sit with us!" Little did she know, James had the same exact thought. He had met a mischievous, black- haired boy named Sirius Black and thought that Elsie would love him.

Elsie and Remus entered as James was talking to Sirius about a red-haired girl he just met, "She was perfect, Sirius! I'm telling you, I will marry that girl one day!"

"Bloody hell James, don't you think you're a little too young. I mean, you're only 11 years-," he stopped mid sentence as his eyes shifted towards Elsie. "Hello beautiful," he smirked and gave the girl a wink.

"Hey! That's my best friend, you can't flirt with her!" James exclaimed. "Els, this is Sirius Black."

Elsie scoffed and rolled her eyes at the two boys. She introduced them to Remus, as she spotted a scared-looking boy sitting all alone in the compartment across from them. She excused herself and walked towards him.

"Hello!" she greeted him with a warm smile, "I noticed you were sitting alone and wanted to know if you want to sit with my friends and I. I'm Elsie."

"I-I'm Peter Pettigrew. Are you sure you don't mind?" the small, blonde boy responded shyly.

"I insist!" Elsie concluded.

They walked back in to find all three boys getting along quite well. She introduced them to Peter and sat down in the open spot in between James and Sirius. Peter hesitantly sat down next to Remus. Throughout the ride, the group of 5 quickly warmed up to each other. They laughed, joked, snacked and talked the entire time. Just as they finished laughing at a joke made by James, Elsie took in everything. She looked at how Sirius had his feet propped up on Remus' lap, how she finally saw a genuine smile from shy Peter, and how maybe James was right. This would be the best adventure they have ever taken together.