Chapter 31

"I-I like my best friend. I have feelings for Elsie," Remus heard his friend explain with a terrified look plastered on his face.

"Bloody hell, this wasn't how it was supposed to go. I'm supposed to love Lily, and only Lily," James scoffed at himself in annoyance, "And now look at me... fucking my best friend and catching feelings for her."

"Well, Prongs, sometimes life is...," He trailed off while a smirk formed on Remus' face and he leaned against the door behind him, "unpredictable."

Suddenly, James' face dawned in realization. He remembered the question that Remus had posed to him earlier this year about desire and fidelity, about supposed and unpredicted love. Lily was who he was supposed to love, but he unpredictably caught feelings for Elsie. And now, the only thing left to figure out is who he should choose.

He looked up at Remus with wide eyes and was about to make a comment, before Remus' jaw dropped and he began walking towards James.

"Hold on, did you say fucking your best friend...as in you and Elsie had sex?!" He demandingly asked with a confused expression on his face.

James looked down at the ground in embarrassment and began scratching the back of his neck, "Erm...maybe?"

The scar-faced boy crossed his arms over his chest and grumbled under his breath, "I can't believe she didn't tell me...again."

"Moony, what do I do?" James looked up at his friend with pleading eyes, hoping that he'd somehow have his answer laid out for him.

Remus' face softened as he placed a reassuring hand on James' shoulder, "Follow your heart, Prongs. You have one of the biggest ones I know, your heart will lead you to the right person."

James mumbled incoherently under his breath as his thoughts sounded in his head, But, then why does my heart make me feel like I'm never good enough for anyone to love? Not for Lily, and especially not for Elsie...

"Come on, let's go down now before one of our idiot friends come trying to find us," Remus suggested as James nodded in agreement. The two boys left the room and went downstairs to find the living room furniture moved out of the way and music gently playing, as Elsie and a red-cheeked Peter softly danced together.

"Don't be shy, Wormtail," Sirius chuckled from the staircase as he watched his blonde friend awkwardly dancing with Elsie, "She doesn't bite."

Elsie chuckled and let go of the dancing boy, walking over to James and Remus who just walked down the stairs. She was about to open her mouth, when she saw James' face turn extremely red and heard snickers coming from Remus and Sirius.

She followed James' gaze above her head until her eyes landed on a piece of floating mistletoe. Elsie tried to move her feet, knowing she couldn't because of the rules of the game, and failed miserably.

"Sirius Black, I will cut your balls off," Elsie gritted her teeth as she recalled the rules of Sirius' annual game they played every Christmas.

The first Christmas Sirius had spent with the Marauders, he charmed a piece of magical mistletoe so that whoever he chose to float it over couldn't leave their spot until they kissed. Once they kiss, the two people would be allowed to part ways. Of course since it was his idea, Sirius granted himself in charge of who has to kiss who.