Overthinking

That week went by faster than Asami liked. She wanted to enjoy every moment with Korra. Each day that went on meant that her time here was coming to an end. She thought about what Opal said. Mainly she thought about how she'd feel if she didn't take a chance.

As the week went on they went on morning jogs. At first it sucked. The cold air would make Asami's lungs scream but she got used to it. She also loved how competitive Korra was with physical activities. She had a fire in her eyes that lit the fire deep in Asami's core. But it wasn't just their morning jogs. It was the lingering touches and looks that made Asami want to scream. She was sure Korra would be the death of her.

Friday night was just like the rest of the week. Until in the middle of the night Asami was woken up by the sound of Korra screaming. She quickly jumped out of bed and ran to her room. She swung open the door and saw Korra shaking on her bed. Naga was whining with her head laying on the bed trying to comfort Korra. Korra didn't notice Asami and stuck out her hand for Naga to lick.

Asami let them have their moment. She slowly approached the two and she stuck her hand out for Naga too. Meeting Korra's hand there. Korra quickly looked up at Asami with tears streaming down her face.

"I didn't mean to wake you Asami. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize. You had a nightmare right?"

"Yeah..."

"Don't worry. I'm not going to ask about it. I just want to be here for you."

"You don't have to. You can go back to sleep. I'll be quiet."

"Absolutely not Korra. I'm not going to let you go through this alone. Now scoot over." She insisted and Korra complied.

"Okay." She says and wipes the tears from her face.

"When I have hard nights sometimes I wish I had someone to hold me. I know that might not be what you want and that's okay. I just want you to know that I'm here for you. If you want me to hold you then I can do that. Just tell me what you want me to do and I'll do that." She assures her.

"Can we just lay down for a minute?"

"I can do that." Asami lays down and turns to face Korra who is laying on her back staring up at the ceiling.

"It's a reoccurring dream I have. No matter how many times I dream of it, it still effects me like this. The most fucked up thing is that it's not just a dream. It's a vivid memory."

Korra speaks softly. Words so hushed Asami's afraid that if there was any other noise she wouldn't be able to hear her. She wants to get closer but even the shuffling of the sheets might be too load. So she lays there. Listening. Watching Korra's lips move.

"I can still taste the blood. The weight of the car pinning me. With every breath it gets harder and harder to breathe. Until I'm gasping for air. Choking on my own blood. I couldn't scream. I couldn't move. I've never felt so helpless." A tear falls down her face and falls onto the bed.

Asami's heart is stuck in her throat. She feels the pain in Korra's voice. In a desperate need to let Korra know she's not alone she reaches for her hand and lightly holds onto it. Korra returns the gesture and squeezes her hand. They lay like that until Korra's breaths are even and her heart rate slows down.

She rolls over to look at Asami. A streak of moonlight peaks through the window and it shines directly on Korra's face. Korra searches Asami's face. The distant look in her eyes is one Asami knows all too well. When Korra's eyes land on Asami's lips she gives her a small smile. Korra reaches up with her free hand and she lightly touches Asami's lips.