Chapter 1 - Part 3

Winter is my least favorite season.

For one, I don't like the cold. I'm now one of the shortest first graders in the school, and Momma says that probably has something to do with the way warmth never sticks to me.

For another, Topher leaves during the wintertime.

It feels like he's gone for months, but Mom says it's only weeks. He misses the first snow of the year. He misses a lot.

And I miss him.

Usually, on the first day he comes back, his parents let us have a sleepover. I have been planning up what we're going to do. I think we'll finally make a snowman, and then run inside and drink hot chocolate and I'll tell him all about the presents I think I'm going to get this year and show him the pajamas my grandma got me.

But when Topher's house is finally filled with light again, he doesn't come.

"What time can he come?" I ask Momma impatiently the second she gets off the phone.

"Topher's parents," she replies sympathetically, "said that he can't come over this week. He's busy with school, and their trip took longer than they thought, so he's behind."

I stare at her, dumbstruck.

"When can he come over?"

"Next Monday, Jane. That's alright, it just gives us more time to prepare for the sleepover!"

Momma smiles at me enthusiastically, like she's not telling me the worse news in the world.

I try counting on my fingers. 8. 8 days.

That's an eternity!! This is cruelty. This is against the laws of nature.

I go to my room to mourn.

It's already been so long since I've seen Topher. I can't believe I have to wait even longer before I get to show him my new pajamas. It's not fair.

I stare out my window forlornly at the house right beside ours. The kitchen light is on, reminding me that Topher is only next door. He might as well be across the country. Maybe screaming into my pillow will make me feel better.

That's when I spot him in one of the upstairs windows.

He's just across the fence, facing my window almost directly. I wave my arms at him, pulling the curtains all the way open. He spots me immediately.

Excited, he returns my wave, a big smile spreading on his face.

I gesture at him happily with my hands. Come over!

Topher pauses, his face falling. Slowly, he shakes his head.

I cross my arms. He shrugs helplessly. Huffing, I turn away from the window, even angrier than before. In the corner of my eye, I see Topher's head droop.

I pause. Then, I hold up my pointer finger. One second.

It takes me a minute to find the necessary materials. My pink Crayola marker is hiding under my bed. But, finally, I hold the paper up to the window.

Topher is still waiting for me. It's far away, but I think he'll still be able to read my note. I wrote it as big and bold as I could.

Beneath the pink heart I drew in the center of the page, I had written Miss you.

I look up around the paper to see his reaction.

Topher's hands are over his mouth, his eyes wide and shining. I smile. Then, he presses his face to the window, smearing the glass with his forehead. His hair smashes flat against it.