Chapter 5 Cilla's Getting Married?

Esther had not looked at the Pearson's driver for she thought he was a mean man with a bad temper. It appeared that the Jennings's had already left for their carriage, the one that had been parked behind the Billings', was gone. During the tea, Mr. Waterford had arrived at the Crawford's. Now he sat up in the driver seat all dressed up. He did not wear his old brown pants and his stained hat that he usually wore in the garden (for he was the Gardner.) Now he wore his absolute best. Esther thought he looked genuinely nice, having gotten ready in a hurry. His face was cleanly shaven which was how he tried to keep it, but it usually had a shadowed look. He wore a top hat and black frock suit. When he saw Mrs. Billing walking out the door, he jumped down and opened the carriage door. His gloved hands held the door firmly.

"Goodbye Louise," said Mrs. Billings, calling Mrs. Crawford by her first name.

"Goodbye Kathrine," said Mrs. Crawford. Kathrine was Mrs. Billing's full first name and Kitty's also. Mrs. Billing stepped up into the carriage with a shadow of daughters following her. Mrs. Crawford followed to the side of the carriage. Right when they were seated Mrs. Billings turned to Mrs. Crawford. Mr. Waterford shut the door and returned to his seat.

"Oh, I did not ask you," started Mrs. Billings. "When does Jane get back from Europe?"

"Next week," replied Mrs. Crawford "Did I tell you about our cousin Margaret?" It seemed that although Mrs. Billing and Mrs. Crawford had talked together for over an hour, they had not touched this subject. Mrs. Crawford then went to Margaret's courtship of course. At this time Mr. Waterford knew that they were not leaving very soon. For he had been a servant for a long time and the Billing's had the Crawford over at least half a dozen times a year. He knew that Mrs. Billing and Mrs. Crawford would continue the conversation for a while. He then settled down in his seat and became extremely comfortable. The Billing girls knew this too along with Laura Crawford. Laura promptly walked to the other side of the carriage and began talking with Esther again. Finally, after another half hour, Mrs. Billing talked of leaving for a half dozenth time. Some might say the sun's setting had helped the leave.

"Oh, we really must be going," said Mrs. Billing. "George will be wondering where I am."

"Yes, of course," replied Mrs. Crawford. "Come along Laura." Laura and her mother stepped back away from the carriage while Mr. Waterford was awoken from his nap. It seemed that he had got quite comfortable in his seat. Everyone said goodbye two or three more times as they drove off.

.....

"It's a beautiful day today," commented Kitty, who sat next to Es.

"The first day of a new year," said Es. "1901." All the girls looked around as they rode through Philadelphia streets. Young women here and there road bicycles with their hats pinned firmly on their heads. Couples walked down the streets in conversation and little boys and girls held their mothers' hands. Rich women walked down with a small dog or two on a leash. Walking along without a worry. The air had a certain snap to it and there was not a cold wind as there usually was this time of year. People in carriages even smiled as they rode down the streets. Everyone seemed to be having a wonderful day. Esther though was having the best time of everyone. She soaked up every moment for she knew it would soon pass. She smiled and closed her eyes as she felt a small breeze on her face. The sky started turning in a lovely canvas of bold blues and push pinks. For reader, the sun sets quite early that time of year. The clouds texture made the sky look almost like a knitted blanket. The day was truly magical.

"Mrs. Pearson said a cold front is sure to come in soon," said Kitty after sitting quietly for a moment.

"How would Mrs. Pearson know," replied Es. Kitty shrugged her shoulders and for the rest of the ride home, no one talked. Everyone just sat there and enjoyed the ride.