Chapter 1: The Case Of The Day

"Alright, what do we have now?" Bella Lamber gloomily asked as she was sauntering to the other side of the street with Maya Triss to meet up with the other members of her team. "Someone's salty today, already in your period, girl?" Maya asked playfully while ignoring the death glare Bell gave her. "I asked what do we have now? Answer me or shut up forever." Bell answered with an indifferent tone.

"Is everything ok with you today?" Maya asked, but Bella was already lost in her own thoughts. Maya looked away but kept talking, she knew deep inside, Bella was still listening. "Well, today we have a missing person. He bought groceries, he got home, and then he was gone." Maya started explaining as they were trying to find the right apartment building.

"But why does that have anything to do with us?" Bell asked as she yawned and took her glasses off to clean their lenses. 

"You're so adorable when you're tired" Maya commented and received yet another death glare from Bella. "Aren't you already dating Mike?" Bella was too tired to scream at Maya again. It was 4 am and she barely caught up on any sleep last night. The new cases were popping up everywhere these days. It was a hectic week and Bella definitely needed some rest for the weekend, but the new cases never rest, so here she was, inspecting a missing person's case.

"Found it." Maya was standing right in front of a small apartment, fiddling with her extremely-odd long white hair while looking at the paper Orien gave her. "So that's where the guys went, huh?" Maya asked. The door was already open. Bella pushed Maya away and went inside "let's get this over with." she said sternly and started walking up the stairs. "Aren't you nice to hang out with" Maya muttered as she followed her inside. 

Mike was already up there, talking to HIM. He didn't have any name, but everyone called him Orien. Nobody knew if that was a real name or not. It was something related to what happened a year before they entered the group. He was friendly enough to be trusted, Bella definitely trusted him. Although his name was unknown, he has always been a close friend.

But to Bella, Orien was more than just a friend. The day when he found her...

THE BLOOD...

Bella shook her head to avoid the flow of memories attacking her, but she knew it wouldn't work so she just tried to do the alternative. "What happened here?" Maya asked before Bella could even start talking. "I hope it's something worth waking up for." Bella continued. Mike gave Maya a kiss and then faced Bella "Good morning sunshine." He said with a slight grin. Mike and Maya were practically the same people, which meant Bella had to tolerate everything twice all the time. "Stop being like this...I'm not in the mood." Bella finally gave up and went into the room instead, trying her best to ignore Maya whispering "It's her time of the month."

The room was pretty normal, nothing was messy, or oddly misplaced. There was also no rotting smell, So no sign of a magic user or entity getting in the room. The doors and windows also were not tampered with, so forced entry was also out of question. Everything seems oddly in place. Orien was checking the cameras around the place, watching what happened last night on his phone.

"This thing is not a normal kidnapping. The victim's name is Brandon Sorris. He had a normal, random life, average salary, no powerful enemies, he was a nobody, and therefore, not a potential target for a normal act of kidnapping." Orien said with his back turned to Bella, drowned in his own thoughts.

"So there are only two scenarios. One, he was just a random victim somebody chose to do whatever they want, or to distract us. Or two, we're missing something important here." Bella answered while she was checking the kitchen out, checking the groceries, or anything that might give them a clue about what happened.

"Sorry, I should've said hi first." Orien said, still distracted. Bella smiled but didn't say anything. He started checking the lights, most entities have effects on electricity. Bella checked the bedroom alone while Mike and Maya were checking the living room. There was absolutely nothing to work with, which made everything so interesting. Bella went through Brandon's closet, she found nothing. This was not normal. Sinister beings had never cared about leaving a trace, they were powerful enough to protect themselves from the consequences unless Orien's group was involved. 

"I know right? " Orien startled Bella. He was standing right behind her, staring at her like he could read her mind. The scar on his face was now visible for the first time that day. It went from his right ear to his cheek.  "Why should you always have a dramatic entrance? And what do you mean?" Bella asked Orien, while she tried to look around for something, just to avoid any further conversation.

"What I mean is, that you're thinking what I'm thinking. This case is not a normal kidnapping case for us. He might've disappeared completely but if we had any creature kidnapping Brandon Sorris, we would've found a sign by now, but there is nothing useful to be found right now, so I'm exactly thinking what you're thinking."

Bella always had that thought since she entered the building and saw the oddly-meticulous house. This can only mean bad things. Bad things that could mean nothing but chaos. The house was patently clean and unsullied and so this kidnapping could be an act of neither a demonic entity nor a magical item. This could mean that this wasn't done by a supernatural being. that it was done by normal humans, and the only humans who had the permission to use magic were only the four known as the guardians. It was their job to make sure this insane power was never to be harnessed by other human beings. And all those four people were right there. Orien, Bella, Mike, and Maya.

And now...

"Yes, that is possible. It's happening again. And we knew it would" Orien said as he was watching Bella standing still and staring at the walls.

"Then being here is pointless. We have to go back" Bella said as vigorously as possible, trying to hide her actual worries. The last time something like this happened...

Bella only read it in the books but she could almost feel the nightmares growing around her as she went to the living room to inform Mike and Maya what happened.

"I said we should go back, come back Ori." Bella yelled from the other room. Orien remembered that he was still in the room.

"Be right there" there were still things that Orien had to do. They didn't have time to waste. They had to act fast. Orien took a final look at the room the sighed and walked away to find out what was going to happen next.