chapter 2

"𝑻𝒘𝒐 𝒔𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒔 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒉 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓

 𝒃𝒚 𝒔𝒊𝒎𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒂𝒄𝒄𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒏𝒕,"
__________________________________________________

aurora counted to 30, to give the other two time to hide. she checked the lower level but found no one. she climbed the creaky stairs to the second floor and started checking the rooms. she heard a door shut down the hall and she grinned. she walked in that direction and saw a door slightly ajar. the door was in an old area of the house, with little light. she pushed open the door and walked inside. 

her eyes easily adjusted to the dark and she watched the cobwebs. she touched the spines of the books and the walls. a spider scurried by her feet, and she bent over to pick it up. she murmured to it. she wasn't scared. she set the spider back down and went towards the door. she turned the rusty knob, but it was locked. she smiled - knowing something was going to happen.

she felt a cold, clammy hand on her shoulder. she turned around, and only smiled when she didn't see anyone. however, after 5 seconds an invisible force of waves shot towards her heart, and she crashed back into a bookshelf, the books falling on her unconscious self.

she woke up on a mattress on the floor in an unfamiliar room. a sharp pain was immediately felt on her head. she clutched her head in pain and tried to get up. "you took a hard fall," a voice said from the doorway. miles stood there, leaning against the door frame. she only stared at the ground, thinking about the waves that sent towards her. she felt strange - like all her senses had been...enhanced? 

"um, thanks, miles," she said softly. he only nodded. she heard ringing in her ears and clutched her head again. miles now looked slightly more concerned. at that moment, kate came in. her footsteps sounded like a giant's because of aurora's hearing. "are you alright?" kate asked frantically, looking at aurora. "I'm fine," aurora responded, then got up. she felt like she couldn't walk. "I'm gonna go shower," she said, then left the room. 

she walked into her bathroom and locked the door. her head was throbbing from the pain. she felt a tear escape from her eyes, which was weird in the fact that she never cried. she looked at the mirror and almost gasped. the tear was black.

a stream of black, salty, tears streamed down her face. 

(billie eilish vibes >;0)

she stared at herself in the mirror and watched in shock. she ran out of the bathroom and ran down the stairs past a confused kate. she was leaving. she wasn't one to run away from problems. but this was different. 

this was something sinister. 

she walked outside to the fresh air, taking deep breaths. 

inhale.

exhale. 

inhale.

exhale.

she felt the hands on her back - yet no one was in the room. she continued taking her deep breaths and headed towards the maze. she was near the middle when she heard footsteps behind her. she spun around, but no one was there. she continued walking, but couldn't shake off the feeling she was being watched. 

she was still in the maze when she heard footsteps again, but this time a voice came along as well. "AURORA!" a voice yelled, and she turned around to see miles. "um, hello," she said sheepishly. he grabbed her shoulders so she would face him. "what happened when you were in the room?" he asked. "nothing, I only fell," she said. he stared into her eyes for a second. "i know something happened in there, and if you tell me i can help stop whatever happened," he said, his fingers still gripping her skin. "nothing. happened." she said coldly. 

something did happen in there.

something I'll never tell anyone.

they'll think I'm crazy.

all these thoughts rushed through aurora's head as she and miles continued to stare at each other. each were hoping that the other would say something. she learned to lie ever since she started hiding stuff - and she was pretty good at lying. "anything else?" she asked. miles pursed his lips. "nothing," he responded stiffly.

they both walked back to the house, neither of them saying a word. before they reached the door, miles stopped her. "i'll find out what you're hiding. that room has a mind of its own," he said, then walked inside, leaving her alone and confused. 

aurora and miles were both abnormally quiet at dinner. aurora was happy a bit - excited to be leaving after dinner. miles kept shooting her looks. he was just worried. kate watched in concern as she saw the looks passed between her little sister and miles. 

aurora finished her dinner quickly, then ran to pack up her stuff. she knew she would be coming back in a week, but she wanted to leave before miles asked something again. she could lie - but not multiple times. she quickly stuffed all her stuff into her backpack and quickly went back home. 

.。❅*⋆⍋*∞*。*∞*⍋⋆*❅。.

𝑬𝑴𝑨 𝑺𝑷𝑬𝑨𝑲𝑺

OKAY, these chapters aren't as long as I hoped :(

BUT I do have like a lot of ideas for this book-

and I know I haven't even finished this one, but like, I'm gonna make on about when they're adults????

I'm crazy :)