forty-nine

"It's the thought that counts."
Jackson said, smiling.

"Oh, you mean that your idea of date night is researching info on tilapia skin at Joe's bar?"

"When you put it like it, you make it seem like I don't care at all. Hey, isn't that Warren?" I looked across the bar at Ben sitting at the bar.

He wore a sad look, slowly drinking his beer as he chatted with the fire chief next to him.

"I'm going to need another beer." He said, getting up.

I pulled him back, deeply kissing him then pulling away.

"Is this the hormones?" I nodded.

"This is one of my favorite parts. We can spend date night at the house, if you want." He offered then smirked, leaning down and biting his lip.

The sound of tires screeching erupted through the air before there was a loud boom, shaking the building. Bricks fell, blocking the entrance, soot floating through the air as the front of a car hung down.

"Help!" The woman shouted from the car.

Jackson rushed to a badly bleeding and unconscious Simms while I helped a freaked out Helm.

"Schmitt, I need hands here, please." Levi stood still, shocked.

"Now!"

"Hey, hey, hey. You need to get in there. I know they're your friends, but you're trained for this. Go." Ben told him.

Helm squeezed one of my hands, still freaking out over her injuries. Parker sat a few feet away, confused on what happened.

"Ma'am! Roll down your window!"

"All right, listen up. I need all medical personnel who's able to help. I need you to check everyone's ABCs." Jackson shouted.

"Airway, breathing, circulation. ABCs. Airway, breathing, circulation..." Helm pushed out.

"You're doing good, Hellmouth. That's good, all right?" I said.

"My hips hurt. I think I have a pelvic fracture. I think I have massive bleeding inside my pelvis. I think I'm dying."

"No, you're not dying, Helm."

"Was there a bomb?" Parker asked.

"Who... Who manned the checkpoint? Are we in the Green Zone?"

"Warren! Back door's blocked from the outside. It's immobile." Pruitt informed.

"My name is Joan."
She cried, telling Ben.

"Okay, Joan, are you hurt?"

"No, but my husband is dying."

"Dying.. like me." Helm whispered.

"You're not dying."

"Why do you think your husband is dying, Joan?"

"We were coming home from a party, and he started to gasp, and then he grabbed his arm. He's had two heart attacks before. I just I panicked, and I-I was going to the hospital, and then someone was in the road, and I swerved-" she rambled.