fifty-six

"Do we know yet?" Aunt Mir asked the six of us.

Jackson, Catherine, Meredith, Carlos, Deluca and I looked at her, not having the answer she wanted to hear.

"By that silence, I am going to assume that you still have nothing after all this time. Richard has become almost emergent and we can't wait any longer. I have to open him up."

"Bailey!" Catherine shouted.

"Do you want the man to die?" Aunt Mir shouted back.

"I have to do this. Whatever is happening to him, I think we'd do better with a biopsy instead of waiting around for it to kill him."

"So, you want to cut Richard open... What if you don't find anything?" Mer asked.

"Then we will close and start fresh."

Catherine scoffed, declining.

"Dr. Bailey, we're so close. I can feel it." Deluca told her.

"Boy, when's the last time you slept?" He ignored her question, asking his own.

"How much time can you give us? We just need another twenty four hours.."

"No. I'm not sure he can hold out that long. Grey, with me. Something needs to be done. That something will get done, by me, once I stop wasting time talking to you all." She said then turned, leaving the room.

Richard had been having hallucinations when we were away at the conference. I'd consistently asked if he was okay, getting a nod in response.

His hallucinations later turned into a PR disaster since it greatly affected him during his speech.

We racked our brains, continuing multiple searches on the internet for a while. It's like he had some type of  mysterious diagnosis that didn't want to be revealed.

"I got it!" Deluca suddenly shouted.

"You got what?"

"Webber! He- he had a hip replacement in Boston, three years ago. His hip was made out of cobalt."

"Bailey did a heavy metals test." Daveed said.

"If there's something you want to share, say it." Catherine said.

"The test doesn't detect cobalt. If his hip is deteriorating, the cobalt poisoning could explain the dementia, depression, hallucinations, tremors, everything!"

"Somebody stop Bailey!" Catherine shouted.

Deluca flashed a smile, nodding and running out of the room.

~

"Occupied!" Jackson yelled as Amelia and Link came into the on call room.

"With what? Boring people asleep? You're not even having sex. I mean, that's what these rooms are basically made for." Amelia said.

"Actually, babe-"

"No one's talking to you, Link. Let's find another unoccupied room."