twenty-six

"Why is the chief sending an email about the department heads greeting your grandfather?" I asked Jackson as we left daycare.

"According to Dr. Bailey, he will be in the lobby in 15 minutes. I told her that my grandfather does not like crowds but she keeps insisting."

We changed our clothes, meeting the others in the lobby.

"This is not every department head! I said every department head. Pierce, where's Shepherd?" Aunt Mir exclaimed.

"I haven't seen her all morning." Maggie said.

"And Grey?!"

"You don't want her mood here." Alex told her.

"$15.8 million in repairs?" Harper complained as he and Catherine got off the elevator, walking towards us.

"Insurance covered most of that." Catherine said.

"Most" is not all."

"Look, we took the opportunity of the fire to address some design elements that needed updating."

"Design elements? Please." Harper scoffed as they stopped in front of Aunt Mir. She smiled.

"Hello, Dr. Avery. I am Chief Miranda-"

"Bingy. I remember you." He said, incorrectly saying our last name. He looked behind her at us standing around.

"What is this window dressing? Don't you people have jobs to do?" Harper scolded then walked away. Catherine rolled her eyes, following him.

"He doesn't like crowds." Aunt Mir said, facing Jackson.

"Nope." Jackson smirked.

While the others dispersed, Jackson and I followed in the Averys' direction.

"Grandpa." Jackson greeted Harper.

"When am I gonna stop seeing this spoiled little bitch?"

"The day you drop dead, you crappy bastard." Jackson held back a laugh.

"She has no business here. We will have dinner tonight with the wife and the child."

"Grandpa.." Jackson groaned at his rudeness.

~

"Who are they?" I asked Mer. She rolled her eyes.

"Some hotshots with Harper Avery. They work at the hospital now."

"What are they? Who are they?"

"Daveed Armahd, cardio-thoracic surgeon, and Nick Dalton, idiot, or sex therapist."

"He's really a sex therapist? What do we need him for?"

"Apparently, lots of people are in need of meeting that sexual point. He's lousy at his job.."

"What did he do to you?" I laughed.