twenty-nine

"Eric Sterling. 12 years old. Vital signs stable. Airway's intact. No hard signs of vascular injury." Jolene, the paramedic, informed.

"Police shot him in the neck while he was climbing through a window, but Eric says it was his own house. You gonna take those cuffs off or what?!" Ben yelled at the two officers that came in with him.

"He was breaking into a house." The first officer said.

"He already told you it was his own damn house!"

"Look, we weren't at the scene, but we were dispatched to guard the perp. We have orders, and we're doing our job. The suspect's currently under our.."

"His name is Eric, he's not a perp, all right? If you would just listen to him." Ben insisted.

"Call X-ray for P.A. and lateral neck films. Everybody set? On my count. One, two, and three."

We transferred him then Ben left with the medics while he took care of Eric.

"All right, Eric, how you doing?" Jackson checked.

"I want my mom." Eric said.

"I know. I know. She's on her way. Officer, I need those cuff's off him now, not on." Jackson told him.

"He's still under arrest."

"He's unarmed and a 12 year-old kid. Take 'em off." I strictly said.

The white cops looked at me then each other before taking the cuffs off.

"I'm not seeing any sign of bullet fragments, no vertebral fractures. I'd like to get a CT angio." Jackson told the nurse.

"I just wanted to get in my house.. that's all." Eric cried.

My heart hurt, looking at the teenage boy that reminded me of my brother.

"Hey, you okay?" Jackson asked as we stepped out of the room.

"We're looking for Eric Sterling." A woman asked. I led them to the room that Eric was in; they quickly rushed to his side.

"What happened, baby?" She asked.

"I forgot my key, and they think I was breaking in." 

"I would like you to step away from my 12 year-old child. He shouldn't be talking to you without a guardian present!" His father yelled at the officers.

He always forgets his keys. Were you climbing in the window again?" Mom

"Yes, but I did go to the neighbor's house first, just like you told me to. They weren't home. I was reaching for my phone to call you, and they shot me." Eric informed.

"And for this you shot him?!" She shouted at them.

"Not us, ma'am. We weren't at the scene."

"How about you direct me to the one who did the shooting? Where the hell is that guy?!" His father questioned.

"He's at the station answering some questions. Why don't you calm down.." the first officer said.